Psalm 94:17-19 (NLT)
17 Unless the Lord had helped me, I would soon have settled in the silence of the grave. 18 I cried out, “I am slipping!” but your unfailing love, O Lord, supported me. 19 When doubts filled my mind, your comfort gave me renewed hope and cheer.

Psalm 94 is an appeal to God for help in the wake of persecution. This Psalm was written when God’s church was being oppressed and persecuted. The relief they could find only came from God. All others had failed them, but the Lord lifted their spirits and supported them. Even under the most difficult conditions God was able to comfort them and renew their hope.

From the book of Matthew: “Meanwhile, the disciples were in trouble far away from land, for a strong wind had risen, and they were fighting heavy waves. About three o’clock in the morning Jesus came toward them, walking on the water. When the disciples saw him walking on the water, they were terrified. In their fear, they cried out, “It’s a ghost!” But Jesus spoke to them at once. “Don’t be afraid,” he said. “Take courage. I am here!” Then Peter called to him, “Lord, if it’s really you, tell me to come to you, walking on the water.” “Yes, come,” Jesus said. So Peter went over the side of the boat and walked on the water toward Jesus. But when he saw the strong wind and the waves, he was terrified and began to sink. “Save me, Lord!” he shouted. Jesus immediately reached out and grabbed him. “You have so little faith,” Jesus said. “Why did you doubt me?””

Peter had seen the difficult situation they were in with the storm. Waves were battering the boat, which the disciples had to fight to keep the boat from sinking. Jesus came to them and told them not to be afraid for He was with them. Impulsively Peter called to Jesus that he wanted to join him and Jesus responded, “Yes come.” But Peter’s fears grew and doubt set into his mind. As the doubt took hold he started to slip into the water. Terrified he yelled out, “Save me, Lord!” Jesus grabbed Peter and lifted him up and supported him. Then he asked Peter, “Why did you doubt me.” Many of us are like Peter. We know Jesus will be with us in difficult times, but when we are in the midst of the problem doubt fills our minds and we start to sink in despair. We still know Jesus is there because we cry out wanting His help, but we doubt what He can do. In these times remember the answer a father gave Jesus, “I do believe, but help me overcome my unbelief!”