Psalm 86:1-7 (NLT)
1 Bend down, O Lord, and hear my prayer; answer me, for I need your help. 2 Protect me, for I am devoted to you. Save me, for I serve you and trust you. You are my God. 3 Be merciful to me, O Lord, for I am calling on you constantly. 4 Give me happiness, O Lord, for I give myself to you. 5 O Lord, you are so good, so ready to forgive, so full of unfailing love for all who ask for your help. 6 Listen closely to my prayer, O Lord; hear my urgent cry.7 I will call to you whenever I’m in trouble, and you will answer me.

This Psalm was a prayer of King David’s. David asks God who is above all to come down to him to listen to his prayer. He knows God will respond and he desires God’s help. David knows we are defective creatures who are in often need of help and he asks for mercy in the many requests that are made. He prays for happiness during his need for help. David also acknowledges the unfailing love of God and His attention towards us.

From Christianity today, February 2004, Vol. 48, No. 2, Page 44 comes the story of Lindsay O’Connor who slipped into a 47 day coma after severe childbirth complications. She laid in a coma unable to communicate as her family considered their options for her survival and her death. Her dad touched her feet and said, "I taught these feet how to walk." Then he comforted her husband Tim as he was about to make life decisions. She remembers Tim holding one of her hands, a neurologist the other, and telling me to squeeze their hands. Unable to do so or to speak, she felt her brain screaming, "Why can't I do this? Maybe I'm dying." Later, her inability to use the call button left her banging a spoon on the bedside table for an hour and a half. No one came. They thought it was the repetitive motor response of a brain-damaged woman.” Can you imagine the frustration of wanting to call out for help? Maybe there are times we feel frustrated thinking our calls for help are not heard. The good news is God is always listening. Because of His unfailing love He will answer in our times of need.