2 Kings 22:18-20 (NLT)
18 “But go to the king of Judah who sent you to seek the Lord and tell him: ‘This is what the Lord, the God of Israel, says concerning the message you have just heard: 19 You were sorry and humbled yourself before the Lord when you heard what I said against this city and its people—that this land would be cursed and become desolate. You tore your clothing in despair and wept before me in repentance. And I have indeed heard you, says the Lord. 20 So I will not send the promised disaster until after you have died and been buried in peace. You will not see the disaster I am going to bring on this city.’”

When King Josiah was 26 years old he ordered the money at the Lord’s Temple to be counted and assigned to pay workers to restore the Temple. As the temple was being restored the Book of the Law was found. Upon hearing the words written King Josiah tore his clothes in despair for he realized the people had turned away from God. The message sent to the King was one of temporary hope; for the king had humbled himself before God. God promised there would not be disaster in the city until after the king’s death.

We have a nation in the middle of a rebuilding process. Money is being appropriated and spent in an attempt to lift up the economy. In some cases the money is not being used wisely. In some cases the money is going against the word of God. Leaders are not standing firm on God’s principles, but instead turning to their own desires. They say one thing to the people, but do not follow through in their own actions. Those who should be managing the money and guarding it are the ones who have been stealing and avoiding payments to the government. Is there any wonder God is not blessing this country as a whole? Where are those who would humble themselves before God in despair? Not humbling themselves because they have ruined their own lives or the financial stability for many; but humbling themselves before God realizing how they have fallen away from God. David said about God in Psalm 18:27, “You rescue the humble, but you humiliate the proud.”