2 Timothy 1:5-7 (NLT)
5 I remember your genuine faith, for you share the faith that first filled your grandmother Lois and your mother, Eunice. And I know that same faith continues strong in you. 6 This is why I remind you to fan into flames the spiritual gift God gave you when I laid my hands on you. 7 For God has not given us a spirit of fear and timidity, but of power, love, and self-discipline.

Timothy’s mother and grandmother both had a faith in God and Christ, but Timothy’s father did not. (Acts 16:1 there was a young disciple named Timothy. His mother was a Jewish believer, but his father was a Greek.) These women passed a along a strong faith in God to Timothy. Paul wanted to remind Timothy of that faith and the gifts God had given him. Then Paul told Timothy fear and timidity are abandoned with faith in God.

There is a peace that comes from abiding in the love of God. Our worst fear should be that of living an eternal life apart from God. Yet God put that fear aside by giving His Son Jesus to die for our sins. God does not want us to live a life of fear. Instead he wants us to have a confident life. We can find confidence when we believe God can meet our needs. Lately the news has had many stories of people ending their life and the life of others out of desperation. Pray those who are desperate will place their trust in God and Christ. Be a person who reminds others like Paul did Timothy that we were not handed a spirit of fear and timidity, but of power, love, and self-discipline.