James 3:17 (NLT)
17 But the wisdom from above is first of all pure. It is also peace loving, gentle at all times, and willing to yield to others. It is full of mercy and good deeds. It shows no favoritism and is always sincere.

James is urging believers to take hold of the wisdom of God and put it to use in daily living. This wisdom should be used to help others and not to be hoarded in a jealous manner. This wisdom James talks about is pure, peace loving, gentle, compromising, merciful, good, shows no partiality and is always sincere. It is wisdom that comes from a holy and great God.

In the night God appeared to King Solomon and said to him, �Ask what I shall give thee.� King Solomon responded, �Give me now wisdom and knowledge that I may go out and come in before this people: for who can judge this thy people that is so great?� King Solomon wanted a wisdom that would benefit the people of his country. He wanted to be able to respond as though God were responding to others. So God granted him wisdom and much more. We all need to seek after the wisdom of God. In that wisdom we find how to love others in the right way. In that wisdom we provide mercy and grace when it is needed. Remember it is not human wisdom we seek, but the wisdom of a holy God.