Ephesians 4:7-13 (The Message Translation)
7-13 But that doesn't mean you should all look and speak and act the same. Out of the generosity of Christ, each of us is given his own gift. The text for this is,
He climbed the high mountain,
He captured the enemy and seized the booty,
He handed it all out in gifts to the people.
Is it not true that the One who climbed up also climbed down, down to the valley of earth? And the One who climbed down is the One who climbed back up, up to highest heaven. He handed out gifts above and below, filled heaven with his gifts, filled earth with his gifts. He handed out gifts of apostle, prophet, evangelist, and pastor-teacher to train Christ's followers in skilled servant work, working within Christ's body, the church, until we're all moving rhythmically and easily with each other, efficient and graceful in response to God's Son, fully mature adults, fully developed within and without, fully alive like Christ.

The apostle emphasizes the gifts Christ has given us to use to glory Him. Some were meant to be apostles, some prophets, some evangelist and some pastor-teachers to train others. It takes more than just a knowledge of Christ it takes faith to put these gifts into practice.

Proverbs tells us there is a difference between wisdom, knowledge and understanding. Knowledge is to know facts; black is black and red is red. Wisdom is the ability to discern knowledge and make practical use of it. Understanding applies wisdom and makes practical use of it. When I first started dating my wife she invited me to go skiing on the lake with her family. I had never been on skis in my life; so I read everything there was to know about the subject. I had practical knowledge. I knew how to put on the skis. I knew how to position myself in the water. When it came time for the boat to pull me out of the water it was a different story. My face planted itself into the water each time the boat took off. I lacked the wisdom to put all the knowledge into use. I had never practiced what I knew and therefore fell flat on my face. I learned about understanding in that if the two handles of the ski ropes are not perfectly aligned they will always pull you sideways. Seems my future in-laws had worked on the ropes the morning before I used them and one side was about 4 inches longer when it was pulled taught. So I did not understand why the things I knew was not working out until my wife�s brother took my place and understood what was wrong. He had the knowledge, wisdom and understanding to know the problem. We can have knowledge of God. We can learn all the rules, but unless we have wisdom and understanding which comes through faith we can never properly apply what God wants us to know. Pray for wisdom that God will show you how to use your knowledge of Him and understand His desires for your life.