2 Corinthians 10:18 (NLT)
18 When people commend themselves, it doesn�t count for much. The important thing is for the Lord to commend them.

In this chapter of Corinthians the Apostle Paul writes about his authority, the authority of others and how some misuse their authority for their own pride. Paul has acknowledged that those who say they belong to Christ have as much right as anyone else to make that claim. The problem enters when pride steps before God�s work and the person looks at their accomplishments for themselves rather than for God.

There is a memorable lesson from Chicago Daily News columnist Sydney J. Harris. He wrote: �I walked with my friend, a Quaker, to the newsstand the other night, and he bought a paper, thanking the newsie politely. The newsie didn�t even acknowledge it. �A sullen fellow, isn�t he?� I commented. �Oh, he�s that way every night,� shrugged my friend. �Then why do you continue to be so polite to him?� I asked. �Why not?� inquired my friend. �Why should I let him decide how I�m going to act?� As I thought about this incident later, it occurred to me that the important word was �act.� My friend acts toward people; most of us react toward them. He has a sense of inner balance which is lacking in most of us; he knows who he is, what he stands for, how he should behave. He refuses to return incivility for incivility, because then he would no longer be in command of his conduct� [�Do You Act�Or React?� condensed from the Chicago Daily News]. We want to behave such that God commends us for our behavior. Our actions should follow what the Lord would have us to do and not what others might think we should do. The Quaker�s friend thought why continue to be polite to a person who is rude; yet our Lord would have continued to love that person day after day.