Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 37 of 103 1 2 35 36 37 38 39 102 103
AskMe #2405290 07/15/10 06:37 AM
A
AskMe Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Proverbs 15:1 (NLT)
1 A gentle answer deflects anger, but harsh words make tempers flare.

As King, Solomon�s charge was to keep peace among the people. In this proverb he shares one way to maintain peace. Give gentle answers and leave out harsh words that make tempers flare. Grievous and foul words do nothing more than to stir the embers within men�s hearts and bring their temper to a flare. Even words meant in jest when used harshly can stir up angers causing one to make an enemy even out of their friend.

The Apostle James said, �Let every man be swift to hear, slow to speak, slow to wrath.� These words agree with those of King Solomon. When we listen carefully to what is said we are less likely to react with a quick judgment. If we are not listening then our mind starts to plot a response even before we have heard the full statement being made. It is the quick leap to an opinion that can make us respond in a harsh manner. Sometimes we need to take a deep breath before we speak. Maybe we just heard something that triggers us emotionally. Suddenly overwhelmed by emotions we are more likely to speak out rashly than we are to speak logically. Taking a timeout from a conversation can even be healthy if we feel our response is going to be said in anger. It is best to pause, collect your thoughts and even ask if the matter can be discussed later when you have had time to process your thoughts. People usually respect someone who wants to say what is right, but they will quickly disapprove of those who speak without thought.

AskMe #2405861 07/16/10 07:23 AM
A
AskMe Offline OP
OP Offline
A
John 20:24-29 (NLT)
24 One of the twelve disciples, Thomas (nicknamed the Twin), was not with the others when Jesus came. 25 They told him, �We have seen the Lord!� But he replied, �I won�t believe it unless I see the nail wounds in his hands, put my fingers into them, and place my hand into the wound in his side.� 26 Eight days later the disciples were together again, and this time Thomas was with them. The doors were locked; but suddenly, as before, Jesus was standing among them. �Peace be with you,� he said. 27 Then he said to Thomas, �Put your finger here, and look at my hands. Put your hand into the wound in my side. Don�t be faithless any longer. Believe!� 28 �My Lord and my God!� Thomas exclaimed. 29 Then Jesus told him, �You believe because you have seen me. Blessed are those who believe without seeing me.�

We see in these verses the Apostle Thomas struggled to believe Jesus was raised from the dead. Thomas desired proof. He wanted to see the nail and spear wounds on Jesus and to be able to touch those wounds. Jesus knew the struggle Thomas was going through so when he appeared again to the disciples he said to Thomas, �Put your finger here, and look at my hands. Put your hand into the wound in my side. Don�t be faithless any longer. Believe!� With the proof Thomas required he exclaimed, �My Lord and my God!�

Many have called the Apostle Thomas, �Doubting Thomas�, because he doubted the testimony of the other disciples. Thomas had neglected to gather previously with them and now he doubted these men who had been called to testify as witnesses for the Lord. At least Thomas was honest about his feelings. He had no problem stating he did not believe even at the insistence of all the others. In the book of Mark another man faces a moment of unbelief. Even though he went to Jesus for his son to be healed he said, �Have mercy on us and help us, if you can.� �What do you mean, �If I can�?� Jesus asked. �Anything is possible if a person believes.� The father instantly cried out, �I do believe, but help me overcome my unbelief!� Jesus then went on to heal the man�s son; not only to help the man believe, but also those who were watching. If you find yourself doubting or struggling with your faith know others have also doubted. Be honest with your feelings. If you find yourself doubting tell the Lord and ask Him to help you overcome your unbelief.

AskMe #2406941 07/19/10 06:29 AM
A
AskMe Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Genesis 2:18 (NLT)
18 Then the Lord God said, �It is not good for the man to be alone. I will make a helper who is just right for him.�

In this verse God states it was not good for Adam to be alone. God had made man relational so man could fellowship with God. God knew it was a burden for man to be without another being like himself so God created woman. God could have created an entire world of men or women, but instead God chose to allow man the privilege of building family and societal relationships. God perfectly knows our desires and He is perfectly able to supply our needs.

In humor it is said God asked Adam to name Eve and upon seeing her for the first time Adam exclaimed, �WO MAN� and hence she was named woman. God had placed man at the head of creation. Out of dust God made man, but out of man God created woman. She was the crowning glory to creation; doubly refined from the dust of the earth. Woman was to be a helper alongside man; not a slave, not a dependent, not in servitude towards, but an equal partner to experience fellowship with God. Many may know the line from the movie Jerry Maguire where Tom Cruise says, �You complete me.� While the statement is a very romantic idea, the truth is, God completes us. Where we fall short on our needs the Lord says He will fill those needs, just as He did in establishing men and women to be with one another. Philippians 4:19 says, �And this same God who takes care of me will supply all your needs from his glorious riches, which have been given to us in Christ Jesus.� Sometimes we falsely believe a spouse will supply our needs. We have the misconception they complete us is some manner. Some will marry out of this idea that where they are lacking in their life they will suddenly be made whole. The truth is only God can fill the holes in our life. Our family, our friends, our spouses are there to assist us in life, but only God can truly complete us.

AskMe #2407478 07/20/10 06:28 AM
A
AskMe Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Luke 22:39-46 (NLT)
39 Then, accompanied by the disciples, Jesus left the upstairs room and went as usual to the Mount of Olives. 40 There he told them, �Pray that you will not give in to temptation.� 41 He walked away, about a stone�s throw, and knelt down and prayed, 42 �Father, if you are willing, please take this cup of suffering away from me. Yet I want your will to be done, not mine.� 43 Then an angel from heaven appeared and strengthened him. 44 He prayed more fervently, and he was in such agony of spirit that his sweat fell to the ground like great drops of blood. 45 At last he stood up again and returned to the disciples, only to find them asleep, exhausted from grief. 46 �Why are you sleeping?� he asked them. �Get up and pray, so that you will not give in to temptation.�

Jesus prepares for His death by going to a place to pray. He asks the disciples to pray also that they may not give into temptation. Jesus is struggling against the flesh which wants to live, but He knows that He must face death in order that those who believe in Him will live an eternal life. Jesus prayed in great agony knowing what He was about to face. Upon returning to the disciples He finds them asleep and He asks why they are sleeping. Then He encourages them to get up and pray so they may not fall into temptation.

When you pass a fire house or a fire hydrant do you feel shame that you cannot put out a major fire by yourself? Do you look at firemen and think they are not needed and they serve no purpose? Most of us would say no to these questions. Most of us would say the fireman who risks his life to save people is important and needed. Yet there are some who struggle to believe in Jesus because they feel admitting their need for a savior makes them weak. They believe they can handle life on their own and there is no need for someone to step in and help. Yet every day we watch heroic firemen save the lives of others and we never once think the people they are saving are weak and incapable. We know the fire is greater than what they can handle and these brave men are there to assist. Jesus is always ready to step into our lives to help us avoid temptation. For He well understands the temptations of life and the great power it has. With the help of Jesus we are able to defeat the fires that pop up in our life. It is not a sign of weakness but an understanding that sin is a power greater than we can handle by ourselves.

AskMe #2407980 07/21/10 06:40 AM
A
AskMe Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Proverbs 21:23 (NLT)
23 Watch your tongue and keep your mouth shut, and you will stay out of trouble.

King Solomon shares this wisdom with us, not saying anything will keep one out of trouble, whereas saying the wrong thing can lead to arguments and other woes.

When a person is arrested they are told they can remain silent, but it may be wise to do so even before the arrest. There are several reasons for this. A person may give information which may connect them to a crime for which they had no direct knowledge. Giving false information, which is considered obstruction, leads to more charges. A person who is overly vocal about their anger will find it can lead to charges of disorderly conduct. Lawyers follow the wisdom of King Solomon by telling their clients �Keep your mouth shut!� We see how saying the wrong thing can have its consequences and this is true even in our private personal lives. Lying to a spouse will bring distrust. Trying to justify ourselves when another�s feelings are at issue only leads to further confrontations and debates. Therefore it is in our best interest we remain silent at times. Silence gives us an opportunity to listen and process our thoughts. Silence keeps us from speaking rashly out of emotion. There are times when we do need to speak up, but there are times when silence is our best option.

AskMe #2408508 07/22/10 06:28 AM
A
AskMe Offline OP
OP Offline
A
John 16:5-11 (ESV)
5 But now I am going to him who sent me, and none of you asks me, 'Where are you going?' 6 But because I have said these things to you, sorrow has filled your heart. 7 Nevertheless, I tell you the truth: it is to your advantage that I go away, for if I do not go away, the Helper will not come to you. But if I go, I will send him to you. 8 And when he comes, he will convict the world concerning sin and righteousness and judgment: 9 concerning sin, because they do not believe in me; 10 concerning righteousness, because I go to the Father, and you will see me no longer; 11 concerning judgment, because the ruler of this world is judged.

The disciples were distressed as Jesus foretold what was to happen in the near future. Jesus reassured them this was for the best. While the Jews had the law; the world did not understand sin. After the death of Jesus the Holy Spirit was to come upon the world as a helper to convict those who did not believe in Jesus, to show those who did believe what was right, and to once and for all judge Satan.

A school crossing guard had tried everything to get speeders to slow down. The law was posted, but that did not seem to have any affect. People still continued to speed through the school zone. The crossing guard then took a hair dryer and wrapped it in black electrical tape to mask its identity. As speeders approached the school zone he gave them a gentle reminder by pointing the hair dryer at their car. Instantly they would apply their brakes thinking a radar gun was staring at them. The world knows what sin is, but they often fail to identify their actions with sin. But when the Holy Spirit comes upon them they are shown where they fall short of God�s righteousness. The book of Hebrews says in chapter 101:5-16, �And the Holy Spirit also testifies that this is so. For he says, �This is the new covenant I will make with my people on that day, says the Lord: I will put my laws in their hearts, and I will write them on their minds.�

AskMe #2410020 07/26/10 08:22 AM
A
AskMe Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Proverbs 3:5-6 (KJV)
Trust in the LORD with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding. In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths.

King Solomon tells us by faith we must trust the providence of God. We must learn to depend upon God even when our own reasoning does not seem secure. We must trust with all our heart and acknowledge God in faith and prayer that He is more that capable to lead us in the right direction.

For 45 years, Pat Summerall's voice and face spelled football. He anchored CBS and FOX's NFL telecasts (often alongside John Madden) and broadcast 16 Super Bowls (and served as a CBS Radio analyst or pregame reporter for 10 more). This is the part of Pat Summerall's story that most people know. In the Christian sports magazine Sports Spectrum, reporter Art Stricklin tells the rest of Pat's story:

Pat was an only child whose parents divorced before he was born, leaving him feeling empty and alone. He became an alcoholic, living from drink to drink as his body broke down. During the 1994 Masters tournament�[Summerall also did voiceover work for high-profile golf tournaments]�he faced up: "I'd been getting sick a lot, throwing up blood�and I got sick again at 4 a.m. I looked in the mirror, saw what a terrible sight I was, and said to myself, This isn't how I want to live."

Pat spent 33 days in the Betty Ford Center in Palm Springs, California. This helped alleviate his alcohol problems but didn't address his spiritual vacuum. Then he bumped into [Tom Landry, his old football coach from his days as a star kicker]. [Landry] explained about [Pat's] spiritual need and connected him with Dallas Cowboy's chaplain John Weber. Pat's life was transformed, and he was baptized at age 69.

Art Stricklin closes his article with a few words chaplain John Weber offered to sum up Summerall's journey: "[Pat] was once the life of every party with a drink in his hand. Now he gets his power from another source."

Art Stricklin, Sports Spectrum, as paraphrased in the October 27, 2009, entry of Men of Integrity (September/October, 2009)

AskMe #2410833 07/28/10 06:36 AM
A
AskMe Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Mark 7:20-23 (NLT)
20 And then he added, �It is what comes from inside that defiles you. 21 For from within, out of a person�s heart, come evil thoughts, sexual immorality, theft, murder, 22 adultery, greed, wickedness, deceit, lustful desires, envy, slander, pride, and foolishness. 23 All these vile things come from within; they are what defile you.�

Jesus earlier had made the statement �It�s not what goes into your body that defiles you; you are defiled by what comes from your heart.� The disciples were now trying to understand so they asked Jesus to explain. Jesus explained following rituals did not keep one pure. For sin emanates from the heart of man in many forms taking away that which is righteous.

The Lord Jesus Christ died for each and every sin listed in Mark 7:20-23 that we would have eternal life with Him in heaven. Speaking for God, Isaiah foretold the forgiveness of our sins, saying �I have swept away your sins like a cloud. I have scattered your offenses like the morning mist. Oh, return to me, for I have paid the price to set you free.� The price for freedom came with a dear cost. The cost was the death of His son Jesus. We must remember God does forgive our sins; yet we may face consequences for our actions here on earth. A person who murders another may serve time in prison, but if they ask the Lord Jesus Christ into their heart even though they face the consequence of a long prison term they are forgiven by God. Because of pride some may think because the consequences of some sins are so small they do not need the Lord�s forgiveness. Yet there is no one I know that have not fallen a victim to their own pride, greed, deceit, envy, and foolish desires. It is why we need the Lord Jesus so that we might be forgiven and learn to understand the wickedness of our heart. Without the Lord we follow our own desires; but with the Lord present in our lives we find ourselves wanting to do that which is right even when we want to do what is wrong. Trust in the Lord with all your heart; do not depend on your own understanding.

AskMe #2411246 07/29/10 06:27 AM
A
AskMe Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Philippians 4:2-3 (NLT)
2 Now I appeal to Euodia and Syntyche. Please, because you belong to the Lord, settle your disagreement. 3 And I ask you, my true partner, to help these two women, for they worked hard with me in telling others the Good News. They worked along with Clement and the rest of my co-workers, whose names are written in the Book of Life.

The Apostle Paul writes to the Philippians about their Christian duties. In these verses Paul points out a specific disagreement between two women, Euodia and Syntyche. Paul asks them to settle their difference and makes an invitation for another to step in and assist in resolving the issue. The women are fellow Christians who have worked for the Lord and are now being distracted by their disagreement.

In the verses above Paul asks for a peacemaker to step in to resolve the argument between Euodia and Syntyche. A peacemaker steps into the middle of an argument, whereas a peacekeeper tries to head off an argument. A peacemaker faces the problem directly, whereas a peacekeeper tries to keep the problem from appearing. A peacemaker is concerned about people and bringing about sound character growth. The peacekeeper is concerned about issues getting out of control, not the people involved. It takes more effort to be a peacemaker than a peacekeeper. The peacemaker has to actively engage those who are in disagreement. The peacemaker works to resolve the issues while the peacekeeper works to keeps the issues from being presented. Jesus said, �Blessed are the peacemakers: for they shall be called the children of God.� God wants to bring real peace to our lives and not hide the issues. When the issues are hidden they are just left to fester and appear again and again. Do you face issues head on or do you want to hide them? A real peacemaker wants the issues resolved and will do what it takes to make it happen.

AskMe #2411613 07/30/10 06:33 AM
A
AskMe Offline OP
OP Offline
A
1 Samuel 18:10-13 (NLT)
10 The very next day a tormenting spirit from God overwhelmed Saul, and he began to rave in his house like a madman. David was playing the harp, as he did each day. But Saul had a spear in his hand, 11 and he suddenly hurled it at David, intending to pin him to the wall. But David escaped him twice. 12 Saul was then afraid of David, for the Lord was with David and had turned away from Saul. 13 Finally, Saul sent him away and appointed him commander over 1,000 men, and David faithfully led his troops into battle.

David, as a child, served King Saul by playing the harp for Saul whenever he was troubled. Growing jealous of David�s popularity rage suddenly filled Saul and he became like a madman. Saul threw the spear he held at David. In his rage Saul made another attempt to strike David, but David managed to escape Saul�s rage

As a young boy David was asked to live in Saul�s house so he might play harp music to calm Saul. In the verses above we see Saul would fly into fits of rage. On this one occasion Saul made an attempt to take David�s life. Imagine how confusing it must have been for David. One moment Saul was trying to take his life and the next moment he was appointing David as commander over an army of men. Even being the target of Saul�s anger David was determined to please Saul by faithfully leading the troops. Hopefully you recognize David lived a dysfunctional life. He was given up by his father to serve Saul. As a boy he was tasked to calm Saul whenever he was out of control. Even being the object of Saul�s anger David faithfully served. This life would drastically affect anyone; and later we see the dysfunction in David�s life was carried forward to his own family. There are many who have been affected by family dysfunction. Some may not even see it because it appears normal to them. David probably thought it was normal for someone to fly into rage. Yet when we look from the outside we know that not to be true. May God grant us the wisdom to see the dysfunctions in our life and make changes before we impact our own family.

AskMe #2412441 08/02/10 07:02 AM
A
AskMe Offline OP
OP Offline
A
John 13:12-15 (NLT)
12 After washing their feet, he put on his robe again and sat down and asked, �Do you understand what I was doing? 13 You call me �Teacher� and �Lord,� and you are right, because that�s what I am. 14 And since I, your Lord and Teacher, have washed your feet, you ought to wash each other�s feet. 15 I have given you an example to follow. Do as I have done to you.

During this period of history people traveled dusty roads wearing sandals. A host would often have a menial servant wash the feet of his guests so they could enjoy the comfort of his home. Yet we find Jesus has just completed the washing of the disciples� feet. While the disciples would have been glad to have washed the feet of Jesus they found it inconceivable he would wash their feet. Jesus said to them, �I have given you an example to follow.� This was a great lesson for the disciples because it was teaching them Christian humility and the responsibility of giving an example, a pattern, for others to follow.

Our life is a living example. At issue is whether we are good or bad examples. The preference is to be a good example. The Apostle Paul told Timothy, �Be an example to all believers in what you say, in the way you live, in your love, your faith, and your purity.� In the verses above Jesus pointed out we should humble ourselves as an example to others. The Apostle Jude showed us a bad example when he said, �Just as Sodom and Gomorrah and the surrounding cities, which likewise indulged in sexual immorality and pursued unnatural desire, serve as an example by undergoing a punishment of eternal fire.� We choose to be either a good or bad example to others who are watching us. Our actions influence our friends, our spouse, our children, and others. Pray God would lead you to be a good example for others to follow. Pray you will resist the temptation to follow bad examples so as not to lead other astray of suffer the negative consequences for such actions.

AskMe #2412932 08/03/10 06:39 AM
A
AskMe Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Luke 6:46-49 (NLT)
46 �So why do you keep calling me �Lord, Lord!� when you don�t do what I say? 47 I will show you what it�s like when someone comes to me, listens to my teaching, and then follows it. 48 It is like a person building a house who digs deep and lays the foundation on solid rock. When the floodwaters rise and break against that house, it stands firm because it is well built. 49 But anyone who hears and doesn�t obey is like a person who builds a house without a foundation. When the floods sweep down against that house, it will collapse into a heap of ruins.�

Jesus asks the question, �Why do you keep calling me Lord?� He asked the question because referring to someone as Lord meant the person was in servitude to the master. The slave was therefore under obligation to follow the orders and directives of his master. And while many were ready to call Jesus Lord their actions did not agree with their statements. So Jesus gave them some words of wisdom. Those who build upon His principles and follow Him will find a solid foundation in their life to live on. But those who listen and ignore his words will find the foundation week and ready to be swept away at a moment�s notice.

Robert Kupferschmid was an 81-year-old with no flying experience. However, due to a tragic emergency, he was forced to fly an airplane. On June 17, 1998, he and his 52-year-old friend, Wesley Sickle, were flying from Indianapolis to Muncie, Indiana. During the flight, the pilot slumped over and died at the controls. The Cessna 172 single-engine plane began to nose-dive and Kupferschmid grabbed the controls. He got on the radio and pleaded for help. Nearby were two pilots heard the call. Comfort was the closest airport, and the two pilots gave Kupferschmid a steady stream of instructions of climbing, steering, and the scariest part --- landing. Witnesses said the plane�s nose nudged the center line and bounced a few times before the tail hit the ground. The Cessna ended up in a patch of soggy grass next to the runway. Fortunately Kupferschmid was not injured. [Citation: Gregg Donnelly, Maple Plain, Minnesota]

Imagine what might have taken place had Kupferscmid not followed the instructions of the other pilots. Instead he listened knowing his life depending upon their words of wisdom. Imagine what would take place in our lives if we listened to Christ with the same intent?

AskMe #2413804 08/05/10 06:23 AM
A
AskMe Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Colossians 3:5-11 (NLT)
5 So put to death the sinful, earthly things lurking within you. Have nothing to do with sexual immorality, impurity, lust, and evil desires. Don�t be greedy, for a greedy person is an idolater, worshiping the things of this world. 6 Because of these sins, the anger of God is coming. 7 You used to do these things when your life was still part of this world. 8 But now is the time to get rid of anger, rage, malicious behavior, slander, and dirty language. 9 Don�t lie to each other, for you have stripped off your old sinful nature and all its wicked deeds. 10 Put on your new nature, and be renewed as you learn to know your Creator and become like him. 11 In this new life, it doesn�t matter if you are a Jew or a Gentile, circumcised or uncircumcised, barbaric, uncivilized, slave, or free. Christ is all that matters, and he lives in all of us.

In these verses the apostle is encouraging those who believe in Christ to put aside the old habits of sin, which our flesh is naturally drawn towards, and instead renew our lives and learn how to live as God created us to live. While some hold onto religious rituals to help secure their faith that is not what is important; Christ is all that really matters for he lives in all of us who believe.

Carbon is a nonmetallic element found usually in coal, petroleum and asphalt. Other variations of carbon include carbon black, lampblack, activated carbon, and charcoal. For the most part these items are not clean or pleasant to deal with. Yet carbon can be transformed into something wonderful. When placed in the proper environment to change it becomes a beautiful and shining diamond. When our lives are given to Christ and we are placed in Him and Him in us our lives are transformed. We are no longer that dirty sinful person, but we because a beautiful diamond reflecting the love of Jesus. We still have the nature of sin in us just as a diamond still has carbon in it; but we have been changed where we no longer have to feel like a dirty sinful person. So remember your beauty in Christ and let Him always shine in your life.

AskMe #2414823 08/09/10 07:09 AM
A
AskMe Offline OP
OP Offline
A
1 Peter 2:21-25 (NLT)
21 For God called you to do good, even if it means suffering, just as Christ suffered for you. He is your example, and you must follow in his steps. 22 He never sinned, nor ever deceived anyone. 23 He did not retaliate when he was insulted, nor threaten revenge when he suffered. He left his case in the hands of God, who always judges fairly. 24 He personally carried our sins in his body on the cross so that we can be dead to sin and live for what is right. By his wounds you are healed. 25 Once you were like sheep who wandered away. But now you have turned to your Shepherd, the Guardian of your souls.

In the beginning of 1 Peter 2, the Apostle Peter tells those of the church to put aside their evil behavior. He continues on in verse 21 to say we should do what is right even if we suffer to do so for Christ suffered on our behalf to do what was right. Christ never deceived, never retaliated, and never sought revenge. He left the determination of what would happen in the hands of God the Father. Christ was wounded so we might be healed from sin. He became our Shepherd to lead us from our nature desire to wander away from what is right, good, just and holy.

A bible course professor asked a football player named Steve, if he would be willing to do 30 sets of 10 pushups for an experiment the next day. The football player said he had done 200 pushups in a row, so he thought could do that. The next day the professor came to class with donuts, which excited the students being that it was Friday and the last class of the day. It seemed they were getting a break today. The professor asked the first boy, �Would you like a donut?� The boy said yes and the professor turned to Steve and said, �Steve would you do 10 pushups so Mike can have a donut.� Steve proceeded to do 10 pushups and Mike received his donut. The professor continued to do this for each student until he reached another athlete who said, �I can do my own pushups.� The professor responded, �No, Steve has to do them for you.� The student replied, �Then I don�t want a donut.� �Very well said the professor, Steve would you do 10 pushups so Bob can have a donut available even though he doesn�t want it.� Struggling Steve managed another set of 10 pushups. It was apparent Steve was physically getting exhausted. Even though Bob protested the professor placed the donut in front of him and said it was there if he wanted it. Seeing Steve�s exhaustion the rest of the class proceeded to decline the donut; but again the professor would ask Steve to do the pushups and place the donut on the student�s desk in case they changed their mind. Five other students had come into the class and were observing what was taking place. The professor asked, �Steve there are 5 others here who are not members of this class; would you be willing to do pushups for them as well?� Steve replied, �Do I have to touch my nose all the way to the floor?� The professor replied, �Steve they are your pushups you do what you need to do.� Again asking the next person if they wanted a donut they declined and the professor asked Steve again for his 10 pushups. Sweat was pooling under Steve and he was barely able to push up from the floor. Everyone kept saying how unfair this was, but the professor said this was something Steve must do on his own. As with the others, the last student declined, Steve did his final 10 pushups and then collapsed to the floor. Students rushed to help pick him up and then turned to the professor to ask what this was all about. The professor said, �You see Steve is the only one with a perfect grade this semester. He is the only one who has been faithful to attend every class and follow every assignment. There was no one else worthy as Steve so I chose him to take on the responsibility for everyone else. Keep this in mind when you think about Christ for He was the only one who could take on the responsibility to pay our debt for sin and He paid a dear cost for it.� Without complaint Christ died for us. He is our Shepherd showing us how we should live.

AskMe #2415127 08/10/10 06:35 AM
A
AskMe Offline OP
OP Offline
A
1 Peter 3:3-5 (ESV)
3 Do not let your adorning be external�the braiding of hair and the putting on of gold jewelry, or the clothing you wear� 4 but let your adorning be the hidden person of the heart with the imperishable beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which in God�s sight is very precious. 5 For this is how the holy women who hoped in God used to adorn themselves, by submitting to their own husbands, 6 as Sarah obeyed Abraham, calling him lord. And you are her children, if you do good and do not fear anything that is frightening.

The apostle tells us in the verses above that one should give preferred treatment to their internal thoughts over their external adornment. Concern for external behavior should be given preference over external appearance. A gentle and quiet spirit is what makes one beautiful before God; for God finds those qualities precious. Matthew Henry said of verses 5-6, "You can pretend nothing of excuse from the weakness of your sex, but what they might. They lived in old time, and had less knowledge to inform them and fewer examples to encourage them; yet in all ages they practiced this duty; they were holy women, and therefore their example is obligatory; they trusted in God, and yet did not neglect their duty to man: the duties imposed upon you, of a quiet spirit and of subjection to your own husbands, are not new, but what have ever been practiced by the greatest and best women in the world.��

Some husbands may read the verses above and say, �Alright! The Bible says my wife must submit to me.� Not so fast guys. Chapter 1 Peter 3 goes on to say in verse 7, �Likewise, husbands, live with your wives in an understanding way, showing honor to the woman as the weaker vessel, since they are heirs with you of the grace of life, so that your prayers may not be hindered.� Christian husbands and wives have obligations to one another. The wife maintains a gentle and quiet spirit while allowing her husband to make final decisions critical to the family. The husband in turn should make his decisions with an understanding heart, showing his wife honor, and recognizing he should not allow his physical size or his intimidating voice to rule over his wife. The apostle then goes on to tell everyone, �Finally, all of you, have unity of mind, sympathy, brotherly love, a tender heart, and a humble mind. Do not repay evil for evil or reviling for reviling, but on the contrary, bless, for to this you were called, that you may obtain a blessing.� Guys if you want a blessing have a humble mind and a tender heart given to sympathy. You will then find it difficult to lord over your wife in a dominating way. Instead you will consider her feelings and you give honor to her by making decisions that reflect your sympathy and unity of mind. You will also find it much easier for your wife to honor you with a gentle and quiet spirit when you follow what God desires you to do.

AskMe #2415483 08/11/10 06:29 AM
A
AskMe Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Colossians 1:15-17 (ESV)
15 He is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn of all creation. 16 For by him all things were created, in heaven and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or dominions or rulers or authorities�all things were created through him and for him. 17 And he is before all things, and in him all things hold together.

In these verses we find the apostle honoring Christ speaking of Jesus as God. The apostle stated Christ existed before creation of heaven and earth. Christ is the heir of all creation just as the first born son of a family would become heir of all that a father owned. It is through Christ that creation exists and is through Christ that creation is held together.

Matthew Henry said of the verses above, �The whole creation is kept together by the power of the Son of God, and made to consist in its proper frame. It is preserved from disbanding and running into confusion.� Changing subjects a second, Meriam Webster�s dictionary says the following about Laminin --- it is a glycoprotein component of connective tissue basement membrane that promotes cell adhesion. Without it the cells of life would not bond together. Without it the correct formation of tissues would be impossible. Now I didn�t get the comparison of Laminin to Christ until I saw a picture of Laminin and then I got excited. The shape of the glycoprotein module is in the shape of a cross. The same shape of a cross we have come to know that Jesus died for our sins on also holds the structure of our bodies together. David said in Psalm 139:14, �I will praise thee; for I am fearfully and wonderfully made: marvellous are thy works; and that my soul knoweth right well.� Our bodies are a wonderful creation created by God, held together by Christ in order that we may exist.

AskMe #2420085 08/24/10 06:13 AM
A
AskMe Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Psalm 51:5-6 (NLT)
5 Behold, I was brought forth in iniquity, and in sin did my mother conceive me.6 Behold, you delight in truth in the inward being, and you teach me wisdom in the secret heart.

In these verses David acknowledges the sinful nature of man. One must first acknowledge there is an issue before they are able to deal with that issue. Then David goes on to talk about the grace of God. God delights in seeing us understand the truth and taking that truth to heart. Finally the truth stored away in the heart matures and from it comes wisdom to avoid temptation and the willingness to ask for forgiveness when sin does take place.

In the 2008 movie Vantage Point the President of the United States is addressing a public gathering in Spain. Shots ring out, The President falls and then an explosion takes place. A plain clothes cop, a man and his girlfriend, an American tourist with a video camera, a mother and child, and a Secret Service agent just back on duty are all witness to the events. Each sees something different and each have a different perception of what happened. Events are replayed from the perspective of each person until the real truth of the story unfolds. In life what we might consider truth is often obscured by our own life experience filters. We perceive according to events that have taken place in our lives and we reach conclusions based upon those perceptions. A couple can go through the same experience and yet each may have a different view of the outcome based upon their beliefs, their prejudices, their sins, their grief, and their own emotions. Both will believe what they have experienced is the truth but each truth may conflict with the other person�s belief. This problem can often cause conflicts in marriage. This is when we need to pray for God to grant us the wisdom to see beyond our own misconceptions and see the truth through God�s eyes. Pray God will teach you the wisdom to see reality without blurred and filtered vision.

AskMe #2420480 08/25/10 06:48 AM
A
AskMe Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Proverbs 25:26 (ESV)
26 Like a muddied spring or a polluted fountain is a righteous man who gives way before the wicked.

This proverb speaks of the righteous person who falls to sin. Public sinful actions grieve some and lead others to corruption. Giving into sinful action before the wicked discourages good men and further pollutes the sinful man.

The Mosaic Law was given so that man could understand his sinful actions. Without a gauge for sin man could not even begin to understand the depths of his sin. So the law made sin evident. Man now had the knowledge whether to choose sin or choose righteousness. The Apostle Paul says this in Romans 5:18-21, �Yes, Adam�s one sin brings condemnation for everyone, but Christ�s one act of righteousness brings a right relationship with God and new life for everyone. Because one person disobeyed God, many became sinners. But because one other person obeyed God, many will be made righteous. God�s law was given so that all people could see how sinful they were. But as people sinned more and more, God�s wonderful grace became more abundant. So just as sin ruled over all people and brought them to death, now God�s wonderful grace rules instead, giving us right standing with God and resulting in eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.� We have a choice to do what is right and just or a choice to follow sin. But sin leads to grief and corruption which pollutes others and gives those who continue to sin justification to continue in their sin. Therefore we should love Christ enough to protect His good name by reflecting His righteousness to others.

AskMe #2420935 08/26/10 07:04 AM
A
AskMe Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Acts 10:39-43 (NLT)
39 �And we apostles are witnesses of all he did throughout Judea and in Jerusalem. They put him to death by hanging him on a cross, 40 but God raised him to life on the third day. Then God allowed him to appear, 41 not to the general public, but to us whom God had chosen in advance to be his witnesses. We were those who ate and drank with him after he rose from the dead. 42 And he ordered us to preach everywhere and to testify that Jesus is the one appointed by God to be the judge of all�the living and the dead. 43 He is the one all the prophets testified about, saying that everyone who believes in him will have their sins forgiven through his name.�

Peter testifies for the apostles who were with Jesus that Jesus was put to death; was raised back to life by God on the third day; and Jesus appeared to those whom He had chosen. The apostles spent time with Jesus after His resurrection where they were told to preach to the world that Jesus is the Savior; the one appointed to judge all sin. Peter says for those who believe in Him they will have their sins forgiven because of their fellowship with Him.

John writes in 1 John 2:1-2, �My dear children, I am writing this to you so that you will not sin. But if anyone does sin, we have an advocate who pleads our case before the Father. He is Jesus Christ, the one who is truly righteous. He himself is the sacrifice that atones for our sins�and not only our sins but the sins of all the world.� Like Peter, John wants us to know we have a savior in Jesus. John also tells us we should avoid sin. In other words we should seek after God�s heart and know what is holy versus what is sinful. There will be times when we fail and sin, but the loving grace of Jesus holds firm in that He is the propitiation for our sin. Jesus made the atoning sacrifice so when we do sin Jesus brings peace and restoration between us and God. We do not have to bear the shame and burden of sin before God for Jesus has already made atonement for that sin.

AskMe #2421345 08/27/10 07:42 AM
A
AskMe Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Proverbs 27:18 (NLT)
18 As workers who tend a fig tree are allowed to eat the fruit, so workers who protect their employer�s interests will be rewarded.

Matthew Henry writes of this verse, �This is designed to encourage diligence, faithfulness, and constancy, even in mean employments. Though the calling be laborious and despicable, yet those who keep to it will find there is something to be got by it. 1. Let not a poor gardener, who keeps the fig-tree, be discouraged; though it require constant care and attendance to nurse up fig-trees, and, when they have grown to maturity, to keep them in good order, and gather the figs in their season, yet he shall be paid for his pains: He shall eat the fruit of it. 2. Nay, let not a poor servant think himself incapable of thriving and being preferred; for if he be diligent in waiting on his master, observant of him and obedient to him, if he keep his master (so the word is), if he do all he can for the securing of his person and reputation and take care that his estate be not wasted or damaged, such a one shall be honoured, shall not only get a good word, but be preferred and rewarded. God is a Master who has engaged to put an honour on those that serve him faithfully.�

Jesus said, �Anyone who wants to be my disciple must follow me, because my servants must be where I am. And the Father will honor anyone who serves me.� Similar to Proverbs 27:18 Jesus is saying that those who faithfully attend to him as servants will be honored. They will be able to gleam honor from their work for the Savior. They will protect the name of Jesus and serve Him as Lord. While the work may be difficult at times there is a great reward to be received. Jesus goes on to say in the book of Luke, ��If you are faithful in little things, you will be faithful in large ones. But if you are dishonest in little things, you won�t be honest with greater responsibilities. And if you are untrustworthy about worldly wealth, who will trust you with the true riches of heaven? And if you are not faithful with other people�s things, why should you be trusted with things of your own? �No one can serve two masters. For you will hate one and love the other; you will be devoted to one and despise the other. You cannot serve both God and money.�� Therefore we should turn our hearts to Jesus and serve others as He served those around Him. Jesus often displayed the role of the servant so that others could follow Him as an example. Now let us fellowship with Jesus as His servant so that we may be honored for the work we do in Christ�s name.

Page 37 of 103 1 2 35 36 37 38 39 102 103

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 989 guests, and 67 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Zorya, Reyna98, Nofoguy, Ingrid Guerci, Wifey02
71,826 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation