Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 162 of 199 1 2 160 161 162 163 164 198 199
S
OP Offline
S
Thanx SusieQ, I hadn't heard of them. Adding them to the list. laugh

BW(Me)aka Scotty:37
DSx2: 10,12
DDAY2(PA)Nov27/09
Plan B Dec18/09
Personal R in works
Scotty's THING laugh
Newly Betrayed click here

Praying for walls and doors. Thanx MM

“Surviving is important. Thriving is elegant.”
? Maya Angelou

PROGRESS NOT PERFECTION

THANK YOU
F
F
So Scotty, which HP book was your favorite? I read the Hunger Games series. Very dark books though I enjoyed them. VERY INTENSE reading.

Faith

me: FWW/BS 52 H: FWH/BS 49
DS 30
DD 21
DS 15
OCDS 8
F
F
Scotty, btw kudos for being the bigger person. What an ahole that wayturd is!

Faith

DS 30
DD 21
DS 15
OCDS 8
S
OP Offline
S
I would have to say that Order of the Phoenix was probably my favourite. I was very sad when I finished the last book(which I borrowed from the library on Friday morning and finished it at 1am saturday night(Sunday morning). The people that Harry lost, especially the last 4, was gut wrenching. I was actually sobbing when I read it. My friend thought I was crazy when I told her that. She said, "You were crying over a BOOK?" Yep, I was. HEHEHEHE

DDAY2(PA)Nov27/09
Plan B Dec18/09
Personal R in works
Scotty's THING laugh

? Maya Angelou

PROGRESS NOT PERFECTION

THANK YOU
F
F
Originally Posted by Scotland
I would have to say that Order of the Phoenix was probably my favourite. I was very sad when I finished the last book(which I borrowed from the library on Friday morning and finished it at 1am saturday night(Sunday morning). The people that Harry lost, especially the last 4, was gut wrenching. I was actually sobbing when I read it. My friend thought I was crazy when I told her that. She said, "You were crying over a BOOK?" Yep, I was. HEHEHEHE
Deathly Hallows is hands down my favorite book EVER. That is saying a lot if you knew how much of a lifetime reader I am. I cry every single time I read that book and I have read it at least 6 times, yes 6! The losses feel so real because JK Rowling is very adept at character development. You learn to love those people as much as Harry does.

Faith

DS 30
DD 21
DS 15
OCDS 8
S
S
Could you read Deathly Hallows as a stand alone? I am not interested in reading the whole HP series but I love books that are tear-jerkers. (happy to hear I am not the only one)

Ddays 2007 and 2011
Plan B 6/21/11
Divorced July 2012
2 kids
How to Plan B Correctly
Parallel Parenting in Plan B
F
F
SusieQ, you could probably read it as a stand alone if you have seen any of the movies. I think it would be hard to follow entirely as a stand alone. Why are you not interested in the series? It is the best series of books and not just for kids. She is an outstanding writer.

Faith

DS 30
DD 21
DS 15
OCDS 8
S
OP Offline
S
SusieQ, I would most definitely suggest that you read all of the books and not just the last one.

I have to admit that I only read the books, at first, because I had made a deal with my friend. I had watched the first four movies and I wasn't interested in Harry Potter at all. I know that books are ALWAYS better than the movies, but I didn't feel the need to read them after I had watched the first 4. Then, after reading only 2 pages of the first book I was HOOKED.

I think that you would need to read all of the books for the Deathly Hallows to have its greatest effect.

FF, I think that part of the reason that Order of the Phoenix was my favourite book was because it was the first one that I hadn't seen the movie for, so it really grabbed my attention. A lot of people told me that Prisoner of Azkaban was their fav. I would really enjoy reading the series again and I can't wait to watch all of the movies now. I am glad that I finished the series before the last movie was released in theaters.

DDAY2(PA)Nov27/09
Plan B Dec18/09
Personal R in works
Scotty's THING laugh

? Maya Angelou

PROGRESS NOT PERFECTION

THANK YOU
S
S
I have tried reading Book 1 a while ago but just had a hard time getting into it. I don't read a lot of YA books but maybe I will try again smile Thanks, FF!

Ddays 2007 and 2011
Plan B 6/21/11
Divorced July 2012
2 kids
How to Plan B Correctly
H
H
Susie Q, book 1 is the hardest one to get into. After he gets to Hogwarts, the whole book improves.

I liked Order of the Phoenix best, too, Scotty--until Deathly Hallows came out. I've read it at least a dozen times. I cried and cried (and still work up to tears) when I read it.

For new reads: Try Jim Butcher's Dresden Files. The first 2 books are merely okay, but he gets better and better with each book. There are now a dozen in the series. Look him up on amazon and read the reviews.

He also has a totally different fantasy series that I really enjoyed--The Codex Alera. It's about a boy (Tavi) who, alone of all of his people, cannot control the "furies" that inhabit Alera. There are furies of earth, wind, water, etc. Controlling a wind fury will enable one to fly, controlling a water fury will make you a healer. A fun read with 5 books in the series.

Another great book is The Last Elf by Silvana De Mari. It's also known as The Last Dragon. Unlike the Jim Butcher books, this is a Young Adult book--a poignant story of an elf and a dragon. I really enjoyed this immensely! It's out of print, but you should be able to get it through a library. It's also only about 26 cents for a used copy at Amazon, but you'll have to pay about $5 for shipping.

Happy reading!

"Your future isn't sealed. Nothing bad is going to happen. You just put everything in God's hands and in the meanwhile, do all you can do as a woman to protect yourself and your finances and family. That's what your job is to do now and let God deal with the wayward. Trust me...you do not have to lift a finger. HE will deal with the wayward."
Quotable words from peachyisback
“Sometimes you don’t get where you want to go, but you get much further than you were before.” Tiffany on Top Chef
S
OP Offline
S
It's not only YA that I would like to read, I wish to read GOOD books.

My favourite authors are Shakespeare, Dickens and Stephen King. I am going to add Stephanie Meyers, Diana Gabaldon and JK Rowling to that list. I am interested in escaping right now, and "falling" into a good book.

It's funny. Last night, I was sitting at my mom's house and we were talking about my childhood. She told me that I was always reading and that she knew that she would never have to worry about me. I never really thought of myself as a reader as a child, but I do remember reading a lot of books. I have found the love of reading once again and I want to feed it. It's as if I have been suffering starvation and now have begun to eat once more. Keep them coming. laugh

DDAY2(PA)Nov27/09
Plan B Dec18/09
Personal R in works
Scotty's THING laugh

? Maya Angelou

PROGRESS NOT PERFECTION

THANK YOU
F
F
Scotty, how was DS today? I am sorry all of this crud is so hard on your boys. hug

Faith

DS 30
DD 21
DS 15
OCDS 8
S
OP Offline
S
He went into school more easily today. He just kept telling me that he misses me. He keeps trying to tell me that he loves me more than I love him. I tell him, "I have both a mother and a child and I can tell you that I love you a lot more than I love my mother." I told him that he will understand one day when he has children of his own.

He has a hard time expressing himself and he tends to shut down. I was talking to a doctor who told me that he believes that my DS8 may need to go to anger management classes. He thinks that his "shutting down' is actually a silent temper tantrum. That he does this to protect himself so he doesn't get into more trouble. It is something to look into I suppose. He had been doing okay for a while there. Dunno what caused this one.

So, I have Hunger Games on reserve at the library. All of the libraries in this city are out of them ATM. When I mentioned which series I wanted to read, there were 4 women behind the counter. As soon as I said, "It was recommended to me to rea the hunger Series," all of the women said, "Oh yeah." I guess it must be a good series. I'll let you know. laugh

DDAY2(PA)Nov27/09
Plan B Dec18/09
Personal R in works
Scotty's THING laugh

? Maya Angelou

PROGRESS NOT PERFECTION

THANK YOU
_
_
Hey Scotty, just catching up on your thread. It's not a series but I think you might like Neil Gaimon as an author. I'm not exactly sure why, but I think you would really enjoy Neverwhere. American Gods is my favorite by him and is also really good.

Hugs to you and your son.

-SOL
K
K
Originally Posted by LimboNoMore
Hey Scotty, just catching up on your thread. It's not a series but I think you might like Neil Gaimon as an author. I'm not exactly sure why, but I think you would really enjoy Neverwhere. American Gods is my favorite by him and is also really good.

Hugs to you and your son.

Pssst, Limbo, it's spelled Gaiman. Neil Gaiman. We read some of his stuff here at my house. Another favorite author amongst my clan is Terry Prachett. He's very, very popular/well-known in the UK, but not as well known here. I don't know why because he's a great author.

Me: BS 51
Himself: WH 53, EA/PA w/ RunnerSlut his "running buddy."
Buncha' kids. The two youngest are still minors.
Separated: 08/13/09 after 25 years of marriage
Plan D: Filed 11/13/09 Final 3/30/11
MC told me that he probably has a personality disorder
S
OP Offline
S
Thanx Limb. Since I offered you music advice, I will take your author advice.

I am going to be so busy reading. I LOVE it. grin

I have seen that OM/MM at the school in the mornings and after school and wouldn't you know, he still walks with his head down when he walks past me. What a turd. Also found out this morning that he had an A a couple of years ago and was called out by the BH. The BH and WW moved away. I hope they have saved their marriage.

I bought the Harry Potter movies today. It was hard to watch Chamber of secrets on my 10.1 inch netbook with DS8 on my lap and DS10 on the arm of the couch. I decided watching it on a 40 inch LCD was a better idea.

DDAY2(PA)Nov27/09
Plan B Dec18/09
Personal R in works
Scotty's THING laugh

? Maya Angelou

PROGRESS NOT PERFECTION

THANK YOU
F
F
Oh 40 inch LCD will let you glory in the special effects.

Faith

DS 30
DD 21
DS 15
OCDS 8
E
E
They're such great movies! We love them all!

My ds is re-reading "prisoner of Azkaban" right now and we're all off to Orlando next week for spring break and to see the Wizarding World of Harry Potter at Universal Orlando!!!

Woo hoo!

Fwiw, Scotty, I also immersed myself in reading during that time. I also read every one of Dan Brown's blockbuster books too. Very descriptive, and mental adventures and vacations all in one.

I also needed some light, fun reading, so I ended up reading all of Jimmy Buffet's books too. Great fun! I might add, try reading "Where is Joe Merchant". So much island fun, you feel you might have to apply sunscreen or tanning lotion halfway thru the book!

Change happens by listening and then starting a dialogue with the people who are doing something you don't believe is right. ~Jane Goodall
S
S
Originally Posted by HopeandGrace
Susie Q, book 1 is the hardest one to get into. After he gets to Hogwarts, the whole book improves.

Thanks H&G! I will put the HP series on my TBR pile. How are you liking your Kindle? I am getting so much mileage out of my Nook...it's already got a crack on the page turn button and I hardly watch any tv. Before you mentioned that you like YA/fantasy books, and I meant to ask you if you ever read the Ender's Game Series?

Scotty, if you liked Twilight, you may want to check out the Mortal Instruments series. My SIL was after me for months to read those books!

OK, for those who like tearjerkers...this one came up many times in the reading discussion forum I lurk in but I put off reading it forever because it looked cheesy..."Cry No More" by Linda Howard. Holy Cow! I give it 5 hankies!!

Am loving this discussion on books smile

Ddays 2007 and 2011
Plan B 6/21/11
Divorced July 2012
2 kids
How to Plan B Correctly
K
K
I'd suggest the Dresden Files series if you like fantasy, it's somewhat for an older teen/adult genre, due to some content.

Not a lot of romance, and he's a magical PI sort of person that surrounds himself with non-technology. (He touches your computer and it'll probably go dead because of the magic)

One year becomes two, two years becomes five, five becomes ten and before you know it, you've wasted your whole life on a problem you can't solve. That's one way to spend your life. -rwinger

I will not spend my life this way.
Page 162 of 199 1 2 160 161 162 163 164 198 199

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 1,116 guests, and 67 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Mike69, petercgeelan, Zorya, Reyna98, Nofoguy
71,829 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation