Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#2516995 06/06/11 09:06 PM
F
OP Offline
F
Howdy all! Havent been on the boards in several years. Recovered since 2005ish...wondering if any long-timers remember me but have a question totally outside of the "marriage field" and know the experience and concern of the great people here so here goes...

Does anyone have any experience with teens and self-abuse (cutting) I am looking for support and advise and have searched the net and, of course, am overwhelmed with the "info" out there.

I know this is not the forum for it but thought maybe, just maybe, someone here may have some direction...
there is much more to it but I won't go into it just now.

Thanks!

Me (RBW) 6w5 DFW (RWH) 3w2 Established 1/93 Rebuilding since 9/03
Fraggles #2517038 06/07/11 04:52 AM
V
V
Hi Fraggles,

That's a pretty heavy topic. Are you looking for professional advice, personal experience from those who are and/or have been cutters, or experience from those who have dealt w/ another's cutting?

If you're looking online, I would suggest reputable sites for info first, e.g. WebMD.com (search "cutting").

I would also seek counseling and/or therapy for the individual in question. FYI, though, this is only my personal opinion.

Maybe more people will chime in with more useful advice... hug

Me - 30 (FWW)
H - 30 (BH)
DSx2
D-day: 2008
F
F
Fraggles, my former step-daughter was a "cutter." At one point, she had a bit of a breakdown and was institutionalized, where she was diagnosed with Borderline Personality Disorder (BPD). Self-mutilation is one of the symptoms of this condition.

BPD is a very difficult condition to treat, as many of those afflicted neither want help, nor do they acknowledge having a problem.

WebMD has an article on self-injury here. According to the site, cutting may be a manifestation of one of the following:
  • Personality disorders (particularly borderline personality disorder)
  • Bipolar disorder
  • Major depression
  • Anxiety disorders (particularly obsessive-compulsive disorder)
  • Schizophrenia
The bottom line is that you're going to have to get mental health professional help.

Good luck!

Preach the Gospel every day. When necessary, use words.
St. Francis of Assissi
F
OP Offline
F
We thought she was getting better but found she is still SI'ing. I'm not sure she ever stopped.

She has been diagnosed with depression, has been in therapy but is not responding well. She won't really open up. Says talking makes her feel worse. I told her that sometimes in therapy you feel worse to feel better...its always hard to really start digging into your blocked emotions but it will get better.

Wondering if a residential treatment plan is necessary at his point. Will be talking with her therapist tomorrow.

Just thought someone else here may have been through this with a loved one and had some advice, words, etc.

Thanks for your responses, Mrs. Vanilla and Fred...

Me (RBW) 6w5 DFW (RWH) 3w2 Established 1/93 Rebuilding since 9/03
Fraggles #2517275 06/07/11 02:01 PM
P
P
Have her medical physician also check her for any eating disorder.
They sometimes go hand in hand.
What do her teeth look like?

F
F
One other thing: Doctors will sometimes make a diagnosis of Bipolar and not look further (I'm not saying they're lazy or anything...). Again, I suggest a short read on Shari Schreiber's site here.

Preach the Gospel every day. When necessary, use words.
St. Francis of Assissi

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 1,079 guests, and 45 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Mike69, petercgeelan, Zorya, Reyna98, Nofoguy
71,829 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation