Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#2577429 12/22/11 03:06 PM
N
OP Offline
N
My wife had her car swept and found the gps device. I admitted to putting one in her car when asked during deposition. She has been encouraged to press charges. Has anyone faced charges from this?

N
OP Offline
N
So be careful guys...know the laws where you live.

S
S
You should have investigated the laws where you live before admitting to this in court. I have a feeling that you are either trying to blame this forum for the risk you took, or to tell us that recommending spying is wrong.

You started a thread in this forum about evidence admissible in court. You knew that you had to say on the right side of the law, so why did you get into this position?.

BW
Married 1989
His PA 2003-2006
2 kids.
M
M
Originally Posted by NeedChange1
So be careful guys...know the laws where you live.

Did you not read the header under the forum title?

Operation Investigate A new forum devoted to discussion of investigative equipment. Please discuss your best ideas here. Links are allowed in this forum. Please be sure and check with your state's local laws before using any of these devices.

I am confused why you didn't follow this advice in light of your own posts 6 months ago? You were so concerned about the legality of putting a keylogger on her computer that it seems puzzling you wouldn't have the same concern about a GPS.

You even asked at that time if any of this collected evidence was admissable in court. So why didn't you check on this yourself?

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

N
OP Offline
N
Why do you think that sugarcane? Did I say anything to suggest I'm blaming the forum?

Actually I am offering up my experience to help others plan and use techniques that won't get them in trouble.

N
OP Offline
N
Melody...were all your techniques legal in your state? Did you check those before you used them? Do you really think that many of these techniques ARE legal?

N
OP Offline
N
Anyway, I guess I'd like to know if others have been charged and if the charges were successfully upheld or if judges had leniency due to the circumstances. I know that when that guy in Illinois got busted breaking into wife's gmail, people here were shocked and assumed it would be thrown out of court.

S
S
Melody...were all your techniques legal in your state? Did you check those before you used them? Do you really think that many of these techniques ARE legal?
Did YOU check in your case? Are they legal in your state?

BW
Married 1989
His PA 2003-2006
2 kids.
N
OP Offline
N
may or may not be legal. the law is unclear. The law could be interpreted as the car is a marital asset and therefore installing a gps device is not illegal. Up to the judge in my state. Same with the key logger.

S
S
Anyway, I guess I'd like to know if others have been charged and if the charges were successfully upheld or if judges had leniency due to the circumstances. I know that when that guy in Illinois got busted breaking into wife's gmail, people here were shocked and assumed it would be thrown out of court.
This statement makes me question your motives.

People are aware of the legalities and they are aware of the Michigan case. People were not so much shocked as sceptical about a successful outcome for the prosecutor. To date, the Michigan case has still not been resolved.

We talk about the legalities all the time here, because particularly spiteful WS have been known to threaten legal action. We encourage the BS to challenge the WS to go to court and have to admit to their conduct under deposition.

It is unlikely that the spying techniques are illegal in many cases, because the equipment being spied on is joint marital property. It is also unlikely that the WS will discover good spying techniques. I wonder what you did or said to make your wife suspect a GPS on her car and question you under oath. It is common sense that the BS must take great care not to be discovered, because discovery ruins the collection of evidence.

Finally, it is unlikely that a WS will carry through the threat of legal action, even if the spying was illegal in their state. They have a lot to lose by being questioned under oath about their affair.

Many BSs here, including me, think that the risk of court action does not outweigh the need to know the abuse that is being perpetrated on the BS and children. Being taken to court is a risk worth taking. Perhaps you don't think that the threat of court action was not as important as knowing the truth about your marriage, but many of us do.

BW
Married 1989
His PA 2003-2006
2 kids.
S
S
may or may not be legal. the law is unclear. The law could be interpreted as the car is a marital asset and therefore installing a gps device is not illegal. Up to the judge in my state. Same with the key logger.
So why are you warning us when you are not even clear that you have done anything wrong in your state?

If you do not want to spy then don't spy! Nobody made you do this. If you do it and get caught, don't come here trying to make others are fearful of their wives as you are!

BW
Married 1989
His PA 2003-2006
2 kids.
M
M

Need, if I were as concerned back then as you seem to be, then I think I would take the time to check my own states laws. I have no idea what our laws were at that time.

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

M
M
Why do you think that sugarcane? Did I say anything to suggest I'm blaming the forum?

Actually I am offering up my experience to help others plan and use techniques that won't get them in trouble.

Seems like your time would be better spent posting information about your situation so you can get help with your situation.

If you are serious about saving your marriage, you can't get it all on this forum. You've got to listen to the Marriage Builders Radio show, every day. Install the app!

Married to my radiant trophy wife, Prisca, 19 years. Father of 8.
Attended Marriage Builders weekend in May 2010

If your wife is not on board with MB, some of my posts to other men might help you.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 1,079 guests, and 45 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Mike69, petercgeelan, Zorya, Reyna98, Nofoguy
71,829 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation