Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 60 of 103 1 2 58 59 60 61 62 102 103
A
AskMe Offline OP
OP Offline
A
2 Peter 3:14-16 (NIV)
14 So then, dear friends, since you are looking forward to this, make every effort to be found spotless, blameless and at peace with him. 15 Bear in mind that our Lord�s patience means salvation, just as our dear brother Paul also wrote you with the wisdom that God gave him. 16 He writes the same way in all his letters, speaking in them of these matters. His letters contain some things that are hard to understand, which ignorant and unstable people distort, as they do the other Scriptures, to their own destruction. 17 Therefore, dear friends, since you have been forewarned, be on your guard so that you may not be carried away by the error of the lawless and fall from your secure position. 18 But grow in the grace and knowledge of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. To him be glory both now and forever! Amen.

In these verses the apostle lets us know that we are in constant danger of being turned away from the truth. For we must remember even Satan knows the scriptures and used them against Christ, not for Christ�s benefit, but instead as an attempt to seduce Christ with the temptation of sin. We must be careful with scripture for it is our relationship with Christ that allows us to understand and use scripture wisely. There are some who take the Word of God away from Him and use it for themselves; men without law, who keep to no rules, set no bounds to themselves, a sort of free-thinkers. For we cannot think alone, but instead out thoughts must agree with those of Our Savior who with love, mercy and grace gave His life for us. If Christ allows you to grow in grace then allow others the same benefit.

William Henry Willimon is an American theologian and bishop in the United Methodist Church, currently serving in the North Alabama Conference. The following comes from one of his sermons : Early in my ministry, I served a little church in rural Georgia. One Saturday we went to a funeral in a little country church not of my denomination. I grew up in a big downtown church. I had never been to a funeral like this one. The casket was open, and the funeral consisted of a sermon by their preacher. The preacher pounded on the pulpit and looked over at the casket. He said, "It's too late for Joe. He might have wanted to get his life together. He might have wanted to spend more time with his family. He might have wanted to do that, but he's dead now. It is too late for him, but it is not too late for you. There is still time for you. You still can decide. You are still alive. It is not too late for you. Today is the day of decision." Then the preacher told how a Greyhound bus had run into a funeral procession once on the way to the cemetery, and that that could happen today. He said, "You should decide today. Today is the day to get your life together. Too late for old Joe, but it's not too late for you." I was so angry at that preacher. On the way home, I told my wife, "Have you ever seen anything as manipulative and insensitive to that poor family? I found it disgusting." She said, "I've never heard anything like that. It was manipulative. It was disgusting. It was insensitive. Worst of all, it was also true."

Will�s wife was right the words spoken at the funeral were true. Anyone can die at any minute. And once the person dies it is too late to make any other decisions about life. It becomes too late to make the most important decision about their eternal life and whether they accept Jesus Christ as their Lord and Savior. The problem with the sermon is this was a time of mourning for most people and they needed comforting and not a head bashing. Yes, they need to know the love, mercy and grace God offers, but who is going to listen quicker � one that is comforted or one that bashed over the head with strong words? Who will listen quicker � a person hearing God�s word given in a loving and caring method or from one who berates one into submission? Yes, the words were correct, but the delivery was wrong. Remember to use God�s word first with yourself to build your relationship with Christ and then out of love for others.

AskMe #2686074 11/27/12 07:46 AM
A
AskMe Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Matthew 20:28 (NLT)
28 For even the Son of Man came not to be served but to serve others and to give his life as a ransom for many.�

This verse comes after the mother of James and John, the sons of Zebedee, came to Jesus with her sons to make a request. The request was, �In your Kingdom, please let my two sons sit in places of honor next to you, one on your right and the other on your left.� Jesus knew they were not certain what they were asking for so Jesus gave an explanation of His purpose. Jesus was not to be a ruler who sat and did nothing; Jesus came to serve others. The life of Jesus was not going to be pleasant for Jesus was going to give His life to ransom many from the sin that held them captive.

The disciples wanted something from Jesus He could not give them. It was a change the disciples needed to make in themselves. Imagine if Jesus had said to them, �I want you to die on a Roman cross tomorrow for my sake.� I doubt at this point in their lives they would have complied. Change is from the inside.

Altering directions a little, when you have a problem with someone else - who do you focus on the most? Do you think things would change if that other person would just change or do you think, wow I need to make some changes in me?

Jesus said: Why do you look at the speck of sawdust in your brother's eye and pay no attention to the plank that is in your own eye? How can you say to your brother, 'Let me take the speck out of your eye,' when all the time there is a plank in your own eye? You hypocrite, first take the plank out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck from your brother's eye (Matthew 7:3-5).

Jesus said we must first focus on our own shortcoming, on changes we need to make. This is not to say that those around us don't have faults, bad habits and sins. They do. But despite that, God wants us to focus first on our part. We need to be willing to see if we need to change something in us.

There is also the issue we cannot change someone who does not wish to change. We can threaten, belittle and try all types of things, but if a person doesn�t want to change � guess what, they are not going to change. Only God can work in the hearts of people to change them, which is why our prayers for others are so important. Only God can soften the hard hearted and restore their life to a good place.

Do you ever say things like � It is their entire fault; I only get angry because they do that; He/she hurt me and I want them to feel the pain I did; I need to confront their sin, they just aren�t getting it.

I�ll be honest, I know I have said things like that in my life and maybe some of you have too. We need to remember to first examine ourselves and see what we need to change about us. Pray God would reveal to us the things we need to work on, how we relate to people and how we can serve others as Jesus served.

Seek to truly understand others opinions and emotions. When you understand where the other person is coming from, look for ways to minister to them as you talk. God wants us to speak with love and courtesy, whatever the circumstances. Our words should be things of beauty, "like apples of gold in settings of silver" (Proverbs 25:11). Even if you need to take strong actions, control your anger (Proverbs 29:11). Remember you can only change yourself. It�s others who have to want to change themselves by allowing God to work in their lives.

AskMe #2686450 11/28/12 08:02 AM
A
AskMe Offline OP
OP Offline
A
2 Samuel 6:14-23 (NIV)
14 Wearing a linen ephod, David was dancing before the Lord with all his might, 15 while he and all Israel were bringing up the ark of the Lord with shouts and the sound of trumpets. 16 As the ark of the Lord was entering the City of David, Michal daughter of Saul watched from a window. And when she saw King David leaping and dancing before the Lord, she despised him in her heart. 17 They brought the ark of the Lord and set it in its place inside the tent that David had pitched for it, and David sacrificed burnt offerings and fellowship offerings before the Lord. 18 After he had finished sacrificing the burnt offerings and fellowship offerings, he blessed the people in the name of the Lord Almighty. 19 Then he gave a loaf of bread, a cake of dates and a cake of raisins to each person in the whole crowd of Israelites, both men and women. And all the people went to their homes. 20 When David returned home to bless his household, Michal daughter of Saul came out to meet him and said, �How the king of Israel has distinguished himself today, going around half-naked in full view of the slave girls of his servants as any vulgar fellow would!� 21 David said to Michal, �It was before the Lord, who chose me rather than your father or anyone from his house when he appointed me ruler over the Lord�s people Israel�I will celebrate before the Lord. 22 I will become even more undignified than this, and I will be humiliated in my own eyes. But by these slave girls you spoke of, I will be held in honor.� 23 And Michal daughter of Saul had no children to the day of her death.

Michal was the first wife of King David and also the daughter of Saul. Michal loved David when Saul reigned as king. In The Bible it is the one place where a woman is said to have loved a man. She was a woman used, first by her father, King Saul, and then by her husband David. She was given by Saul as a wife to David for his victories over the Philistines. Later she helped David escape Saul�s wrath as he became jealous of David�s superior ability as a warrior. After David�s escape Saul gave Michal to be the wife of Paltiel trying to prevent David�s claim to the throne. David had even remarried before returning for his wife. After Saul died, David returned to reclaim Michal -- not because he loved her, but because her lineage strengthened David's claim to the throne. Paltiel was grief stricken and weeping as they took his wife away while nothing is mentioned of Michal�s feelings. (2 Samuel 3:14-16)

In the verses above David is rejoicing to bring the Arc of the Covenant back to Jerusalem. Wearing only an ephod, which was basically a small apron, David danced and whirled in ecstasy in front of the Ark as the procession made its way toward the palace. Verse 16 shows Michal�s emotional despair over David�s actions. Then she gives her reason in verse 20, �How the king of Israel has distinguished himself today, going around half-naked in full view of the slave girls of his servants as any vulgar fellow would!� David�s reply was not the kindest one. David said to Michal, �It was before the Lord, who chose me rather than your father or anyone from his house when he appointed me ruler over the Lord�s people Israel�I will celebrate before the Lord. 22 I will become even more undignified than this, and I will be humiliated in my own eyes. But by these slave girls you spoke of, I will be held in honor.� Basically he told her as King he could do anything and that he would rather have the admiration of others than the respect of his wife. The last word of Michal was she died having no children.

In marriages made under God they are a covenant of commitment to one another. It is a commitment to love, honor, trust, protection, care and faithfulness. David did not show these qualities as a husband. In fact David made many mistakes when it came to marriage and parenting.

As imperfect as David was � God loved David because David loved God, which we see throughout Psalms. Remember this about your life. God is looking for your love, not perfection. God makes us perfect by trusting in His love for us, which is why God gave His Son Jesus to die for our sin. Trust in God and Trust in Jesus as your Savior.

AskMe #2686695 11/29/12 07:40 AM
A
AskMe Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Psalm 136:26 (NLT)
26 Give thanks to the God of heaven. His faithful love endures forever.

This verse tells us that God is a glorious God, and the glory of His mercy is to be taken notice of in our praises. Romans 9:23 states the riches of his glory are displayed in the vessels of His mercy. Psalm 136:26 also denotes Him to be the great benefactor, for every good and perfect gift is from above, from the Father of lights, the God of heaven; and we should trace every stream of mercy and goodness back to His fountain. Other mercies may perhaps endure but a while, but the mercy that is in God endures forever; it is an inexhaustible fountain.

Evelyn Bence in �Two Kinds of Thanks� wrote about her experience spending the night in a homeless shelter. In reflecting on her experience she wrote the following:

Only after I walked back out into the night air did the women's stories unsettle me. Their paths had too much in common with mine. In a sense, I was one of them: A mother's daughter. Vulnerable. A sinner in need of grace. ...

Since then I have been more aware of the uprooted Vietnamese, Cambodian, and Latin American refugees who live in my neighborhood, who ride my bus. War, political change, economic collapse--conditions over which they had no control--destroyed their lifestyle and stole their ability to communicate easily and thus to work efficiently. My thoughts have frightened me. My comfortable world, my secure home, is not guaranteed.

At the sight of the outstretched hand of a city beggar, I have always grown uncomfortable. Until recently, I have thought it was because of Jesus' warning in Matthew 25:45: "Whatever you did not do for one of the least of these [the hungry, thirsty, unclothed, homeless], you did not do for me."

But since I spent an evening at the women's shelter, I see that Matthew 25 is only the partial cause of my discomfort. I am uncomfortable because I see the beggar as myself--or my very own brother or mother or father. And I cannot think of a homeless or hungry woman in such personal terms without a reversal in the way I give my thanks.

The difference between "Thank you that I'm not one of them" and "Thank you for the grace you have shown to me, and help me to mirror your grace to others" may, at first, seem slight. But the second is for me a wholly new mindset that makes me want to reach out, that reduces my discomfort around those who have less than I, and, surprisingly, that reduces my fear of a future that is unknown. Why? Because even though I know I have no insurance policy against war and famine or sickness, I know I have a God who does not forget his own. And for that I thank him also.

AskMe #2686909 11/30/12 08:05 AM
A
AskMe Offline OP
OP Offline
A
1 Peter 5:8 (NLT)
8 Stay alert! Watch out for your great enemy, the devil. He prowls around like a roaring lion, looking for someone to devour.

There is a lot packed into this one verse. The apostle first warns us to stay alert or in some translations to be sober and vigilant. We should allow nothing to distract us from the fact that Satan is an enemy of those who love God. Matthew Henry�s commentary tells us this of Satan�s name: �By his characters and names. (1.) He is an adversary: "That adversary of yours; not a common adversary, but an enemy that impleads you, and litigates against you in your grand depending cause, and aims at your very souls.�� (2.) The devil, the grand accuser of all the brethren; this title is derived from a word which signifies to strike through, or to stab. He would strike malignity into our natures and poison into our souls. If he could have struck these people with passion and murmuring in their sufferings, perhaps he might have drawn them to apostasy and ruin. (3.) He is a roaring lion, hungry, fierce, strong, and cruel, the fierce and greedy pursuer of souls.� Satan is not idle in his activities. We see that he prowls or walks about looking for opportunities to tear down those who love God. We know from the Book of Job that Satan attacked Job who was a man of faith, who loved God and who went out each morning to pray for the sins of his family. Yet Job persevered and stood firm in his faith.

According to Psychology Today, in 2008, 4,000 books were published on happiness�up from 50 books in 2000. If you don�t believe people are under attack in today�s society those statistics on books to make us happy should be convincing. People are searching for happiness. Iif there isn�t a firm faith in The Lord and a good understanding God has the best plan for their lives � they look for happiness in the wrong places.

Satan is walking about looking to steal our happiness which is found in the Lord. Peter chose a lion for illustration because a lion roars to claim its territory. The roar of a lion is frightening and can be heard five miles away. Satan wants to claim the world as his own. Fortunately we have a savior Jesus Christ who is The Lion of Judah. The voice of Jesus carries around the world speaking to every one of His love, grace and mercy.

AskMe #2686924 11/30/12 10:05 AM
J
J
Satan comes to rob kill and destroy.
And that's why we have to pray to God and ask for His help.
A great childrens song about this is:

O be careful little eyes what you see
O be careful little eyes what you see
There's a Father up above
And He's looking down in love
So, be careful little eyes what you see

O be careful little ears what you hear
O be careful little ears what you hear
So, be careful little ears what you hear

O be careful little hands what you do
O be careful little hands what you do
So, be careful little hands what you do

O be careful little feet where you go
O be careful little feet where you go
So, be careful little feet where you go

O be careful little mouth what you say
O be careful little mouth what you say
So, be careful little mouth what you say

J
J
December 2:

The Holy Prophet Habakkuk, the eighth of the Twelve Minor Prophets, was descended from the Tribe of Simeon, and he prophesied around 650 B.C.

The Prophet Habakkuk foresaw the destruction of the Jerusalem Temple, the Babylonian Captivity and the later return of the captives to their native land. During the war with the Babylonians the prophet withdrew to Arabia, where the following miracle occurred. When he was bringing dinner to the reapers, he met an angel of the Lord, and instantly by the strength of his spirit he was transported to Babylon, where at the time the Prophet Daniel was languishing in prison. The food intended for the reapers assuaged the hunger of the exhausted Prophet Daniel (Dan. 14:33-37).

After the end of the war with the Babylonians, the Prophet Habakkuk returned to his homeland and died at a great old age. His relics were found at the time of Emperor Theodosius he Younger (408-450), together with the relics of the Prophet Micah (August 14).

The Fourth Ode of the Psalter ("O Lord, I have heard thy report, and was afraid...") is based on Habakkuk 3:2-19.

Scripture Reading:

Proverbs 6:27. "Can a man scoop fire into his lap without his clothes being burned?"

The best thing about Proverbs is all the great similes used to describe certain situations. This verse is actually about consequences for doing something bad and in this case the Bible is talking about adultery. Committing adultery and going unpunished is about as likely as scooping fire into your lap and not burning your clothes.

A
AskMe Offline OP
OP Offline
A
John 6:35 (NLT)
35 Jesus replied, �I am the bread of life. Whoever comes to me will never be hungry again. Whoever believes in me will never be thirsty.

Christ is the bread of life, for he is the fruit of the Tree of Life. The Tree of Life promised Adam and Eve eternal life; however God prevented Adam and Eve from eating from the Tree of Life so they could not live an eternal life of sin. Instead God gave us Jesus who provides a sinless, eternal life. To believe in Christ is to come to Christ in faith and receive what has been promised. For those who come to Christ in faith will never be hungry or thirst. There is such an over-flowing fullness in Christ that can never be exhausted, and there are ever-flowing communications from Him as well that can never be interrupted.

Anyone that has played the game of chess knows the most important strategy of the game is to protect the king. The king is the most important piece of the game and to lose the king means forfeiting the kingdom (game). A real life example can be found in history. Sir Winston Churchill wanted to witness �D Day� up close. However, the king felt the Prime Minister�s place was not on the front lines. When Sir Winston Churchill expressed his desire to go the King of England said if it was that important he must attend too. With that Sir Winston Churchill pushed back and did not go to ensure the king would remain safe.

The life of Jesus was just the opposite. The King of Heaven was given up and sacrificed for the welfare of the kingdom. The death of Jesus meant people would find forgiveness for their sin. Jesus freely gave His life that we may life an eternal life free from sin.

AskMe #2687941 12/03/12 07:52 PM
G
G
"The life of Jesus was just the opposite. The King of Heaven was given up and sacrificed for the welfare of the kingdom. The death of Jesus meant people would find forgiveness for their sin. Jesus freely gave His life that we may life an eternal life free from sin."

I am so thankful that Christ gave His life for me! Through Him, I am a new creation:) Glory!

Married 3.5 years
W(me): 37
H: 34
1 Son (11)
Blended Family
A
AskMe Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Jeremiah 11:20 (NLT)
20 O Lord of Heaven�s Armies, you make righteous judgments, and you examine the deepest thoughts and secrets.

There was a plot to kill Jeremiah the prophet. The Lord made it known to Jeremiah. The Lord was on Jeremiah�s side. Yet we see Jeremiah acknowledging the Lord examines the hearts and knows the deepest thought and secrets of man and because of this The Lord can make a righteous judgment.

I want to talk about secrets for a moment. The secrets I want to discuss are those we tuck away hoping no one will find out. Psalm 44 says that even while we try to maintain a secret, �God would surely have known it, for he knows the secrets of every heart.� You see, we try to hide something even from God, but when we do we begin to feel the shame in hiding the secret. Another problem with secrets is they often come with lies. For instance a child takes something in secret and when the mother asks the child about what they took - they may say, �No, I didn�t take it.� Then the secret becomes a greater point of shame because now there is a lie attached.

There is a saying I learned long ago, Honesty heals while secrets kill. You may think you are getting away with something you have done, but when it�s exposed you will pay a greater price on the back end than you would have on the front end. Most often when someone goes in and confesses a sinful action they will usually find grace and mercy. They may still have a consequence, but hopefully not as great as if the secret is exposed.

When a sin is held in secret and then revealed trust is broken. Once trust is broken people can�t tell the difference from the truth or a lie and then everything becomes suspect. Remember the little boy who cried wolf? After a while no one can believe you when they keep finding out secrets you hid.

Secrets can destroy individual�s lives because they are not reaching out for help. For instance an addict may try to hide their problem, but eventually the problem becomes too big. If only they had revealed their secret earlier help could have been given and the problem worked on.

Those who hide secrets of shame are often punishing themselves unfairly. There arepeople who understand problems and have even experienced them first hand. Those people are often ready to reach out and help; but they can�t help as long as the secret remains.

You see Satan wants us to hold secrets so we don�t reach out to God, so we don�t reach out to family, and we don�t reach out to friends. Those secrets drive us into isolation and even make us believe we can repeat those habits and keep them a secret. Usually what is done in darkness is eventually revealed in the light.

Let me just finish by saying, even if your secret are never found out � God still knows. God wants you to release the pain of those secrets and become whole again. God wants you free from your burdens.

Father I pray if anyone is holding a secret in their heart that is causing them pain - I pray you give them the strength to share it with someone they trust. Father I pray in revealing their secrets a burden will be lifted from their shoulders. Father I pray mercy and grace would be extended and that those who hear the secret see that the person is reaching out for help. Father grant them the help they need. God bless those who maintain honesty.

I pray this in the name of Jesus,
Amen

A
AskMe Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Originally Posted by GodsdaughterJ
"The life of Jesus was just the opposite. The King of Heaven was given up and sacrificed for the welfare of the kingdom. The death of Jesus meant people would find forgiveness for their sin. Jesus freely gave His life that we may life an eternal life free from sin."

I am so thankful that Christ gave His life for me! Through Him, I am a new creation:) Glory!

Isn't it wonderful to know we have a God who deeply cares for us and finds us precious in His sight even when we are in the midst of sin. He extends His love, mercy and grace without hesitation welcoming us into His arms. I too am thankful for a savior that gives new life.

AskMe #2688436 12/05/12 07:53 AM
A
AskMe Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Galatians 3:23-29 (NLT
23 Before it was possible to be saved from the punishment of sin by putting our trust in Christ, we were held under the Law. It was as if we were being kept in prison. We were kept this way until Christ came. 24 The Law was used to lead us to Christ. It was our teacher, and so we were made right with God by putting our trust in Christ. 25 Now that our faith is in Christ, we do not need the Law to lead us. 26 You are now children of God because you have put your trust in Christ Jesus. 27 All of you who have been baptized to show you belong to Christ have become like Christ. 28 God does not see you as a Jew or as a Greek. He does not see you as a servant or as a person free to work. He does not see you as a man or as a woman. You are all one in Christ. 29 If you belong to Christ, then you have become the true children of Abraham. What God promised to him is now yours.

The law kept people prisoners because they had to keep strict observance of the law under the threat of severe punishment. The law was their teacher, to bring them to Christ so that they might be justified by faith. The Law was used to help people realize they could not take away sin on their own. It required them to place their faith in God in order to obtain mercy and grace. It was said of Abraham that he believed God, and it was counted unto him for righteousness. It was faith in God that made Abraham righteous and it was faith in God that allowed him to carry out God�s will. When Christ came the law still showed us right from wrong, but did not hold us in bondage to it. For we have the choice of trying to accomplish what is right on our own or accepting Jesus Christ as our Lord and Savior. Clearly, God�s promise to give the whole earth to Abraham and his descendants was based not on his obedience to God�s law, but on a right relationship with God that comes by faith. If God�s promise is only for those who obey the law, then faith is not necessary and the promise is pointless. The law always brings punishment on those who try to obey it. (The only way to avoid breaking the law is to have no law to break!) So the promise is received by faith. It is given as a free gift. And we are all certain to receive it, whether or not we live according to the Law of Moses, if we have faith like Abraham�s. For Abraham is the father of all who believe. That is what the Scriptures mean when God told him, �I have made you the father of many nations.� This happened because Abraham believed in the God who brings the dead back to life and who creates new things out of nothing.

Theologian Alister McGrath outlines the following three stages of receiving what Christ did for us on the cross:

1. I may believe that God is promising me forgiveness of sins.
2. I may trust that promise.
3. Unless I respond to that promise, I shall not obtain forgiveness. The first two stages of faith prepare the way for the third, without it they are incomplete.

As an illustration I can believe antibiotics will cure a bacterial illness. I can trust the doctors who tell me the antibiotics are what I need and will provide a cure for a possible death. But nothing will change unless I receive the drug. I must allow it to destroy the bacteria which are slowly killing me. Otherwise, I have not benefited from my faith in it.

Benefit in God�s plan of salvation by trusting in Jesus Christ and response to Jesus as He calls you to do His will. Allow Jesus to fend off the sin that attacks you in your daily life.

AskMe #2688649 12/06/12 07:58 AM
A
AskMe Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Galatians 5:18-21 (NLV)
18 If you let the Holy Spirit lead you, the Law no longer has power over you. 19 The things your sinful old self wants to do are: sex sins, sinful desires, wild living, 20 worshiping false gods, witchcraft, hating, fighting, being jealous, being angry, arguing, dividing into little groups and thinking the other groups are wrong, false teaching, 21 wanting something someone else has, killing other people, using strong drink, wild parties, and all things like these. I told you before and I am telling you again that those who do these things will have no place in the holy nation of God.

The apostle, speaking to the church, starts these verses by saying when the Holy Spirit leads us to do that which Christ commands us to do; there is no law given by God that would prevent us from such acts. For the Holy Spirit leads a person to do what is right and holy. However our own flesh, which is our sinful desire, leads us away from the Holy Spirit and calls us to commit acts contrary to God�s desire. Our Christianity obliges us not only to die unto sin, but to live unto righteousness; not only to oppose the works of the flesh, but to bring forth the fruits of the Spirit too. It should appear to the others that we belong to Christ and not to the world. This is our duty to support our character as Christians.

From the beginning of man�s sin he has tried to blame God or others around him instead of himself. When you look at the sins of the flesh above you can see how this is almost impossible to do. One might say, �I was angry at my wife so I gave into drinking.� Well uncontrolled anger is a sin that a person is responsible for. There is nothing wrong with anger as an emotion, but the acts we often commit out of anger are often wrong. For instance this person turned to drinking and yes, uncontrolled drinking is a sin. So the person tried to justify one sin by another sin they committed. Logically you can�t do that.

I have always said the devil doesn�t need to make us sin, most of the time we are pretty good about sinning on our own. Look thought the list of what our sin nature desires and if you are like me you can find a few that apply to yourself.

I want to encourage you along with myself that when we see something we are doing wrong � let�s try to resolve the wrong. If another person confronts us with our wrong, let us listen instead of striking back in anger. Encourage one another to love, to follow God, to do what is right. If you do these things God will bless you and give you more good things to accomplish.

Heavenly Father, I know we all have fallen into the trap of our own sinful desires. I know there are times we have disobeyed you and went our own way. Father we are grateful for the love, grace and mercy you provide; for if we did not have that we surely would have destroyed ourselves. Our Father please let us see the truth and put away the lies that call us to sin. I ask Father for the Holy Spirit to lead each one of us and keep us close to Christ. Help us Father to be examples to those who do not know you. Let us reach out to others in love and avoid the sin of hate, jealousy, arguing and anger. Father be with us in our daily lives, healing, nurturing, and just loving on us.

I pray these things in the name of Jesus,
Amen

AskMe #2688669 12/06/12 09:43 AM
J
J
I look at the sins Paul describes and I see myself in all of them.
Our hearts truly are desperately wicked and only by the grace of God are we saved.

AskMe, what is your opinion of divorce (based on Scripture)?
If a man divorces his wife because she commits sexual adultery is divorce justified?
Can the man remarry?
When you get a chance can you read this commentary and let me know your thoughts?
I am recently divorced and would appreciate your views.

http://www.familyradio.com/graphical/literature/joined/joined_contents.html

A
AskMe Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Mark 13:5-8 (NIV)
5 Jesus said to them: �Watch out that no one deceives you. 6 Many will come in my name, claiming, �I am he,� and will deceive many. 7 When you hear of wars and rumors of wars, do not be alarmed. Such things must happen, but the end is still to come. 8 Nation will rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom. There will be earthquakes in various places, and famines. These are the beginning of birth pains.

The conversation prior to the verses stated this - �Teacher, look at these magnificent buildings! Look at the impressive stones in the walls.� Jesus replied, �Yes, look at these great buildings. But they will be completely demolished. Not one stone will be left on top of another!� Later, Jesus sat on the Mount of Olives across the valley from the Temple. Peter, James, John, and Andrew came to him privately and asked him, �Tell us, when will all this happen? What sign will show us that these things are about to be fulfilled?� --- The disciples were concerned as many would about the destruction of those things they loved. In this case they were particularly concerned about the destruction of Jerusalem, which might be the end of life as they knew it. Jesus reassured them they should not be alarmed or deceived by what others may say. For there are things that must happen which are under God�s control. They will be wars, rumors of wars and many other disasters, but God�s timing is meant to give everyone an opportunity for salvation.

Franklin D. Roosevelt spoke these words on December the 8, 1941. December 7, 1941 - a date which will live in infamy - the United States of America was suddenly and deliberately attacked by naval and air forces of the Empire of Japan. The United States was at peace with that nation and, at the solicitation of Japan, was still in conversation with the government and its emperor looking toward the maintenance of peace in the Pacific. Indeed, one hour after Japanese air squadrons had commenced bombing in Oahu, the Japanese ambassador to the United States and his colleagues delivered to the Secretary of State a formal reply to a recent American message. While this reply stated that it seemed useless to continue the existing diplomatic negotiations, it contained no threat or hint of war or armed attack.

Wars, earthquakes, and other disastrous events can come into our lives at any time. These events come unexpected out of the blue and often take us by surprise. Often there is no way to prepare and no way to prevent what will happen. Many times lives are lost and families are devastated.

However there is one thing we can be reassured of -- God is in control. People may think why would a benevolent God allow these things to happen? God is not the cause of these problems. God is looking instead at a long term plan to bring people to salvation and grant them an eternal life in heaven. There are many people unaware of this plan, but when disasters strike people often begin to search out for God. When the World Trade Towers were attacked in America it became a time when people united and people turned to God for reassurance and comfort. Yes, God has a plan to show people how they can obtain eternal salvation through His Son Jesus Christ that is ever lasting and can never be taken away.

Let us take a moment today to remember lives which have been lost. Let us also remember we have a sovereign God who loves us and desires for us to live a glorious and wonderful eternal life in heaven.

A
AskMe Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Originally Posted by Jedi_Knight
I look at the sins Paul describes and I see myself in all of them.
Our hearts truly are desperately wicked and only by the grace of God are we saved.

AskMe, what is your opinion of divorce (based on Scripture)?
If a man divorces his wife because she commits sexual adultery is divorce justified?
Can the man remarry?
When you get a chance can you read this commentary and let me know your thoughts?
I am recently divorced and would appreciate your views.

http://www.familyradio.com/graphical/literature/joined/joined_contents.html

Let's see if I can make this into a devotion about marriage and divorce.

Genesis 2:22-24
Then the LORD God made a woman from the rib he had taken out of the man, and he brought her to the man. The man said, "This is now bone of my bones and flesh of my flesh; she shall be called 'woman, ' for she was taken out of man." For this reason a man will leave his father and mother and be united to his wife, and they will become one flesh.

We know from the point of God that He intended for a man and woman to unite together. They were to be an independent unit away from the homes of their parents. They were to create a family and care for that family.

Matthew 19:4-6
"Haven't you read," he replied, "that at the beginning the Creator 'made them male and female,' and said, 'For this reason a man will leave his father and mother and be united to his wife, and the two will become one flesh' ? So they are no longer two, but one. Therefore what God has joined together, let man not separate."

Jesus reiterated this message that man and woman would join together as one couple, as one body and as one of thoughts. Jesus tells us this is a covenant under God made between man and woman and they should not to break this covenant.

Marriage was not to be taken lightly and neither was divorce. Jesus said that God didn't intend for divorce, but allowed it under Mosaic law. The intent was marry, stay married and stay faithful to one another.

Matthew 18:7-9
�Then why did Moses say in the law that a man could give his wife a written notice of divorce and send her away?� they asked. Jesus replied, �Moses permitted divorce only as a concession to your hard hearts, but it was not what God had originally intended. And I tell you this, whoever divorces his wife and marries someone else commits adultery�unless his wife has been unfaithful.

So again we see Jesus reaffirming the covenant of marriage. Hard hearts is why Moses mediated with God for divorce. Divorce was not in God's plan, neither were multiple marriages or multiple spouses. I know there are a few others in The Bible, but Job always comes to mind as the one faithful person who had one spouse and remained faithful to her even through all the pain and suffering he endured.

Hebrews 13:4-7
Marriage should be honored by all, and the marriage bed kept pure, for God will judge the adulterer and all the sexually immoral. Keep your lives free from the love of money and be content with what you have, because God has said, "Never will I leave you; never will I forsake you." So we say with confidence, "The Lord is my helper; I will not be afraid. What can man do to me?" Remember your leaders, who spoke the word of God to you. Consider the outcome of their way of life and imitate their faith.

God intended marriage and sex to go together. Couples should be able to enjoy each other freely without sin. It bothers me when people try to make sex something dirty because it should be a lovely experience shared between two people who mutually agree on what they are doing. The reason I believe some families try to make it dirty is to prevent promiscuous behavior in their children, which is wrong. Honesty about subjects at a level appropriate for a child's age is always the best answer.

1 Corinthians 7:1-16
Now for the matters you wrote about: It is good for a man not to marry. But since there is so much immorality, each man should have his own wife, and each woman her own husband. The husband should fulfill his marital duty to his wife, and likewise the wife to her husband. The wife's body does not belong to her alone but also to her husband. In the same way, the husband's body does not belong to him alone but also to his wife. Do not deprive each other except by mutual consent and for a time, so that you may devote yourselves to prayer. Then come together again so that Satan will not tempt you because of your lack of self-control. I say this as a concession, not as a command. I wish that all men were as I am. But each man has his own gift from God; one has this gift, another has that. Now to the unmarried and the widows I say: It is good for them to stay unmarried, as I am. But if they cannot control themselves, they should marry, for it is better to marry than to burn with passion. To the married I give this command (not I, but the Lord): A wife must not separate from her husband. But if she does, she must remain unmarried or else be reconciled to her husband. And a husband must not divorce his wife. To the rest I say this (I, not the Lord): If any brother has a wife who is not a believer and she is willing to live with him, he must not divorce her. And if a woman has a husband who is not a believer and he is willing to live with her, she must not divorce him. For the unbelieving husband has been sanctified through his wife, and the unbelieving wife has been sanctified through her believing husband. Otherwise your children would be unclean, but as it is, they are holy. But if the unbeliever leaves, let him do so. A believing man or woman is not bound in such circumstances; God has called us to live in peace. How do you know, wife, whether you will save your husband? Or, how do you know, husband, whether you will save your wife?

Again we see that sex within marriage is a good thing. For those who have a strong desire for sex that need can be fulfilled within marriage. I want to emphasize the part about mutual consent. Sex should be treated respectfully between each other, never making the other person an object to be used. We also find there are some who can be happy as a single person. There is nothing wrong with being single and is an honorable thing if one remains so. We also see the problems unlike beliefs can create between husband and wife and for their children. It is why it is so important a Christian person desires a Christian spouse. It's not that two people cannot be married and have different beliefs, but there will be issues that have to be resolved. The verse also reminds us of the importance of marriage to one another and that through one's faith in Christ an unbelieving spouse may also find Christ.

There was a question about remarrying when divorce occurs. I knew a couple that divorced over matters related to sex. They had two children and this is where I think a verse from Malachi is important. Malachi 2:16 from the NLT translation says, "For I hate divorce!" says the LORD, the God of Israel. "To divorce your wife is to overwhelm her with cruelty," says the LORD of Heaven's Armies. "So guard your heart; do not be unfaithful to your wife." The wife was left with the children and the children also suffered because the father was not always there. Well several years passed and neither remarried. The wife became ill and needed help with the children. The husband who had been working on his issues moved back in to help with their kids. The husband slept separately from the wife for over a year, helping, caring and providing. The wife saw the change in her husband and decided she wanted to reconcile. They worked together through counseling and found the hope they looked for. They are happily remarried at this time. Praise God.

So I think as long as there is a possibility for reconciliation a Christian should hold out to see if remarrying might be a possibility. But once the other spouse has remarried that hope is gone and I see no issue with remarrying.

There are other reasons for divorce such as safety of the family. My mother divorced my father because he was an abusive alcoholic. His ways never changed. Had she remained married to him I believe the results could have been terrible. He tried to shoot her, tried to run her over with a car, tried to stab her, but fortunately he was always too drunk to succeed. For the safety of the family there are times when divorce is necessary. My father remained an alcoholic the rest of his life. I only saw him for 5 minutes when I was 10 years old and he was drunk and my mom told him to leave and that was the last time I saw him until I attended his funeral. My mom's mistake was in marrying someone who was not a Christian and who she did not know much about.

One final word on all of this. Divorce impacts live, especially if children are evolved. Divorce should never be taken lightly and marriage should be done with a thought of commitment. However,we should remember there is no sin that cannot be forgiven by God except for the rejection of the Holy Spirit, which means a person rejects God's salvation through Christ. So no matter what has taken place there is always forgiveness from God. God would like us all to live perfect and holy lives, but He knows we can't do it. So God gave us Jesus so that when we fail there is mercy and grace.

I'm sure others may want to comment and I always welcome another's opinion.

Last edited by AskMe; 12/07/12 12:59 PM.
AskMe #2689001 12/07/12 03:08 PM
J
J
My situation is that my wife had an ongoing affair with a dangerous convicted felon
This man was arrested and convicted. He tried to kill his own child and he is a drug addict.
When I demanded she end the affair she lied, and kept it secret.
Eventually she left to go be with him.
The Court gave me full custody of the kids. Te lawyer explained that I had to divorce her in order to keep the children safe, because he was coming to the home when I was at work and she was bringing the kids to his house.
I could not keep him away from my kids without divorce and custody.

I am a believer in Christ.
So now I am divorced and she has been living with him.
She is happy to have "her freedom" and tells her sister that she was tired of being a parent, so she feels happy now.
My dillema is what to do?
I'm young (35) and healthy and struggle daily with lust of the flesh, etc.

It is a frustrating situation.
I prayed throughout my divorce for God to intervene but of course I don't know his plan for my family.
Thankfully, my relationship with God has improved greatly as I was brought to my knees in prayer over her adultery.

I know that I did the right thing in divorce because I had to protect my children. But I still struggle on waiting for God to guide my future life as single or married or waiting on ex wife

J
J
Saint Barbara:

Saint Barbara was from Heliopolis of Phoenicia and lived during the reign of Maximian.

She was the daughter of a certain idolater named Dioscorus. When Barbara came of age, she was enlightened in her pure heart and secretly believed in the Holy Trinity. About this time Dioscorus began building a bath-house; before it was finished he was required to go away to attend to certain matters, and in his absence Barbara directed the workmen to build a third window in addition to the two her Father had commanded. She also inscribed the sign of the Cross with her finger upon the marble of the bath-house, leaving the saving sign cut as deeply into the marble as if it had been done with an iron too. (When the Synaxarion of Saint Barbara was written, the marble of the bath-house and the cross inscribed by Saint Barbara were still preserved, and many healings were worked there.) When Dioscorus returned, he asked why the third window had been added; Barbara began to declare to him the mystery of the Trinity. Because she refused to renounce her faith, Dioscorus tortured Barbara inhumanely, and after subjecting her to many sufferings he beheaded her with his own hands, in the year 290.

Epistle Reading

The reading is from St. Paul's Letter to the Galatians 5:22-26; 6:1-2

Brethren, the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control; against such there is no law. �And those who belong to Christ Jesus have crucified the flesh with its passions and desires. �If we live by the Spirit, let us also walk by the Spirit. �Let us have no self-conceit, no provoking of one another, no envy of one another. �Brethren, if a man is overtaken in any trespass, you who are spiritual should restore him in a spirit of gentleness. �Look to yourself, lest you too be tempted. �Bear one another's burdens, and so fulfill the law of Christ.

Gospel Reading

The reading is from Luke 13:19-29

The Lord said this parable, "The kingdom of God is like a grain of mustard seed which a man took and sowed in his garden; and it grew and became a tree, and the birds of the air made nests in its branches." And again he said, "To what shall I compare the kingdom of God? It is like leaven which a woman took and hid in three measures of flour, till it was all leavened." He went on his way through towns and villages, teaching, and journeying toward Jerusalem. And some one said to him, "Lord, will those who are saved be few?" And he said to them, "Strive to enter by the narrow door; for many, I tell you, will seek to enter and will not be able. When once the householder has risen up and shut the door, you will begin to stand outside and to knock at the door, saying, 'Lord, open to us.' He will answer you, 'I do not know where you come from.' Then you will begin to say, 'We ate and drank in your presence, and you taught in our streets.' But he will say, 'I tell you, I do not know
where you come from; depart from me, all you workers of iniquity!' There you will weep and gnash your teeth when you see Abraham and Isaac and Jacob and all the prophets in the kingdom of God and you yourselves thrust out. And men will come from east and west, and from north and south, and sit at table in the kingdom of God."

J
J
December 9:

The Conception by St. Anna of the Most Holy Theotokos

Reading from the Synaxarion:

According to the ancient tradition of the Church, since Saint Anna, the Ancestor of God, was barren, she and her husband Joachim remained without children until old age. Therefore, sorrowing over their childlessness, they besought God with a promise that, if He were to grant them the fruit of the womb, they would offer their offspring to Him as a gift. And God, hearkening to their supplication, informed them through an Angel concerning the birth of the Virgin. And thus, through God's promise, Anna conceived according to the laws of nature, and was deemed worthy to become the mother of the Mother of our Lord (see also Sept. 8).

The Consecration of the Church of the Resurrection (Holy Sepulchre) in the Holy City of Jerusalem

Reading from the Synaxarion:

The majestic Church of the Resurrection, built by Saint Constantine the Great and his mother Helen, was consecrated in the year 336. In the year 614, this edifice was destroyed by the Persians, who set fire to it. Modestus, the Abbot of the Monastery of Saint Theodosius, and later Patriarch of Jerusalem, rebuilt the church in 626 and had it reconsecrated. In 637, Jerusalem fell to the Moslems; however, the holy shrines were left intact. But in 934, on the Sunday of Pascha, the Saracens set fire to part of this church. Again in 969, the Moslems set fire to the dome of the church, plundered all the sacred objects that were found therein, and surrendered John IV, the Patriarch of Jerusalem, to the flames. In 1010, the Moslems, under Hakim the Mad, Caliph of Egypt, destroyed the church to its foundations, but in 1028, by the mediation of Emperor Romanus III Argyrus of Constantinople, the church began to be rebuilt on a more modest scale. This third edifice was completed and recon
secrated in 1048. In 1099, the crusaders took Jerusalem and ruled there for eighty-eight years, and during this time they made certain changes in the structure, �which, for the most part, has remained unaltered ever since (See also Sept. 13).

Orthros Gospel Reading

The reading is from Luke 24:13-35

At that time, two of them were going to a village named Emmaus, about seven miles from Jerusalem, and talking with each other about all these things that had happened. While they were talking and discussing together, Jesus himself drew near and went with them. But their eyes were kept from recognizing him. And he said to them, "What is this conversation which you are holding with each other as you walk?" And they stood still looking sad. Then one of them, named Cleopas, answered him, "Are you the only visitor to Jerusalem who does not know the things that have happened there in these days?" And he said to them, "What things?" And they said to him, "Concerning Jesus of Nazareth, who was a prophet mighty in deed and word before God and all the people, and how our chief priests and rulers delivered him up to be condemned to death, and crucified him. But we had hoped that he was the one to redeem Israel. Yes, and besides all this, it is now the third day since this happened. More
over, some women of our company amazed us. They were at the tomb early in the morning and did not find his body; and they came back saying that they had even seen a vision of angels, who said that he was alive. Some of those who were with us went to the tomb, and found it just as the women had said; but him they did not see." And he said to them, "O foolish men, and slow of heart to believe all that the prophets have spoken! Was it not necessary that the Christ should suffer these things and enter into his glory?" And beginning with Moses and all the prophets, he interpreted to them in all the scriptures the things concerning himself.

So they drew near to the village to which they were going. He appeared to be going further, but they constrained him, saying, "Stay with us, for it is toward evening and the day is now far spent." So he went in to stay with them. When he was at table with them, he took the bread and blessed, and broke it, and gave it to them. And their eyes were opened and they recognized him; and he vanished out of their sight. They said to each other, "Did not our hearts burn within us while he talked to us on the road, while he opened to us the scriptures?" And they rose that same hour and returned to Jerusalem; and they found the eleven gathered together and those who were with them, who said, "The Lord has risen indeed, and has appeared to Simon!" Then they told what had happened on the road, and how he was known to them in the breaking of the bread.

A
AskMe Offline OP
OP Offline
A
1 Timothy 1:5-7 (NLT)
5 The purpose of my instruction is that all believers would be filled with love that comes from a pure heart, a clear conscience, and genuine faith. 6 But some people have missed this whole point. They have turned away from these things and spend their time in meaningless discussions. 7 They want to be known as teachers of the Law of Moses, but they don�t know what they are talking about, even though they speak so confidently.

The Apostle Paul is writing Timothy, a Christian and trusted friend, on how to guard against Judaizing teachers or others who mingled fables and family accounts with the Gospel of Jesus Christ. The whole point of Paul�s message is best stated by Romans 13:10, �Love does no wrong to others, so love fulfills the requirements of God�s law.� The Law of Moses was to help people see their own faults and needs and not to be used as a weapon towards others. It was to show people how to love, how to act with a clear conscience, and how to have genuine faith in God. But others had taken the Law of Moses to use for their own purposes against others. Instead of teaching, instead of loving they were using the law to ridicule, harass and accuse others. This is what Timothy had to be on guard against.

A good question we should all ask ourselves � Are we using God�s word to correct ourselves and love others; or are we using God�s word to correct others? You see if we use God�s word to get our hearts right with God then we want to love others. However if we are just concerned about how others live then we end up disliking and maybe even going to the extreme of hating those who do not follow what we believe.

Jesus was very careful to point this out when he said how can you say to your brother, �Let me take the speck out of your eye,� and behold, the log is in your own eye? Jesus knew man was quick to judge others without looking at their own selves first. It seems we are often blind to our own faults while being quick to see the faults of others.

Love is a result of looking at ourselves and seeing our need to follow God. When we see our faults it becomes easier to overlook the faults of others. When we see our need for mercy and grace it is easier to extend mercy and grace to others. When we see our need for love it is easier to love others.

So are you looking first to correct yourself and love others; or trying to correct others? Hopefully most people are correcting self and loving others, but if not let me encourage you to think about that question. Take time to consider the logs in your life before picking at the splinters in others� lives.

Heavenly Father it is so easy to see the faults of others while missing our own faults. Help us to see instead of being blind to our own ways. Let us first correct ourselves so we can love and encourage others in the good ways of life. Amen

Page 60 of 103 1 2 58 59 60 61 62 102 103

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 975 guests, and 53 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Zorya, Reyna98, Nofoguy, Ingrid Guerci, Wifey02
71,826 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation