The Holy Name of Your Awesome God

January 20, 2014

The name of the LORD is a strong tower;
the righteous man runs into it and is safe.

Proverbs 18:10

I�ve found there are many people who have names prophetic of what they will do in life. Years ago when I was living in Florida, there was a dentist in our town by the name of Dr. Toothman. In another town, I heard there was a barber by the name of Dan Druff. And I was once told of a man named Will Crumble. His profession? A builder!

Yes, there are some strange and silly names out there. But when it comes to God, He takes His name very seriously. Why? Because God�s name isn�t an empty or powerless word, but it�s a powerful message of His character � who He is to believers (a loving Father) and who He is to unbelievers (a righteous judge).

So what does it mean to revere the name of God? We�ll, it�s more than just not using His name as a curse word, though it would include that. It�s understanding that we�re not to abuse God�s name by taking it too lightly. We shouldn�t be so casual in our approach toward God that we forget about His power and righteousness.

The Lord�s name is a strong tower, not a grass hut. So in a world that�s become so flippant about how it talks about God, remember to maintain a healthy reverence for the Lord�s name!

THE LORD�S NAME IS A STRONG TOWER THAT HAS THE POWER TO SAVE. RESPECT GOD�S NAME BY REVERING HIS MIGHT AND HOLINESS.

(from Jack Graham Devotional)