Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 26 1 2 3 4 5 25 26
J
JBKT16 Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Originally Posted by DidntQuit
I like Marcos' idea of working through Lovebusters and exchanging the worksheets.

Would your husband agree to doing that? When you bring it up and he agrees, the next question is "How would you feel about doing that on Saturday morning at 10am while the boys watch a video?"

In order to rework your schedule to fit in UA time, you will need to plan 20 hours in at the beginning of every week. (We usually lose hours.)

As far as babysitting- I would start looking for other options for sitters. That way you can use your parents in a pinch or for long UA weekends.

I would suggest that you do a forum search for UA time in the title. You will see lots of threads about how to make these things happen. You are not the first person with this issue.

Also, if you pay for archive access to the radio show, you can search by topic, and Dr. Harley and Joyce discuss things like this in detail.

Remember that Dr. Harley has written his books with men in mind. He says that his concepts come naturally to many women, so it is the man who he is trying to teach. We women get into some pretty bad habits too, so the earlier you start to work on them, the less baggage and change is necessary. Good thing that you are doing something about all of this now.

Thanks so much for the advice. I will search for some threads about the issue; I'm sure we aren't the only ones with the same problem. I guess I was hoping someone would share something like..."we spend an hour together at night, go on one date night a week..." something just to see what it looks like for others.

As for the babysitting... finances are an issue. In fact this is the first year we have had access to the grandparents for help. We had been living about an hour and a half away from them. So they could help occasionally but it had to be planned in advance and they had to spend the night.... We just moved this year to be closer to everyone. In fact, one of the main reasons I wanted to be back was to have the support and HELP of the grandparents (without taking advantage of them). We never went anywhere before without the kids because we simply couldn't afford the date night, much less the babysitter it would take to make it happen. We occasionally had sitters for events we were forced to go to.

We honestly have very tight finances and our already budgeting down to the minimum and can't afford to hire babysitters. So the options are honestly spend some time together at home somehow, or ask for family help.

M
M
Originally Posted by JBKT16
Also, our kids are not "bad" by any means, but they can be very active little boys and are not the easiest to keep up with. Neither set of parents minds helping us out, but we do feel guilty asking for too much, because they have a hard time keeping up with them sometimes.

We bring the grandparents a very nice crock pot dinner which makes them much more eager to keep the kids. smile

If you are serious about saving your marriage, you can't get it all on this forum. You've got to listen to the Marriage Builders Radio show, every day. Install the app!

Married to my radiant trophy wife, Prisca, 19 years. Father of 8.
Attended Marriage Builders weekend in May 2010

If your wife is not on board with MB, some of my posts to other men might help you.
J
JBKT16 Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Originally Posted by AnyWife
...How do you keep calm when such hurtful words are being used toward you (like in my case)?...

This morning for example. I told him thathe always talks down to me and he replied "F you" and hung up on me. When I asked him later why he would go straight to something so horrible, he said that I wasn't telling the truth, that he doesn't talk down to me. Now, not much later, he is acting nice, like nothing even happened. It really seems like no big deal to him, when we talk this way to each-other.

I'll let the experts answer this in more detail - it sounds like Didn't Quit may have a lot more success here than me, but a couple thoughts:

My husband doesn't say hurtful things to me the way yours does so I am not dealing with that. Where he sounds similar to yours is that he is very avoidant/evasive of dealing with issues. He has several tactics, the main one to simply pretend the issues don't exist and go about his business as if everything is fine no matter what I say/do.

Regardless, I don't always keep calm. But I keep practicing and I am getting better, it's becoming more natural. When I lose my cool I reevaluate later (what will I say next time?) so I am ready.

Keep in mind that even the experts on here say it takes practice. I certainly don't always do this right. When I catch myself getting angry/accusatory now I try to just stop talking, exit, and calm down. But I do bring it back up because otherwise I'm rewarding his avoidance tactics.

Regarding the text I underlined:
First: Try to never start a complaint with "You always." "You always..." automatically brings out defensiveness and "talk down to me" may not be concrete enough for the garden variety man to comprehend.

I think a better approach than "why do you talk down to me" might be:
"I felt horrible when you said XYZ." (be specific about what he said) "I feel so frustrated and angry." or "I really cannot describe how bad that makes me feel." or "I actually feel sick to my stomach and find it hard to breathe..."

(I may be getting melodramatic but I literally do feel that in response to some things my husband says/does and I have started calmly informing him.)

When he acts jealous and unfairly accuses you of things you might also try (With genuine curiosity and concern, not indignation and hostility):

"Why do you think that?"
"What, specifically, have I said or done that makes you think that?"

If he tries to change gears like he was just joking or you're over-reacting, switch to "That isn't funny at all to me." or "I am NOT okay with you saying that to me." Or some of the above "I feel..." statements.

Try Emailing him? Prisca and Markos have a great marriage and they say they still use email for complaints.

Last night, I used email for the first time with (I think) success.
Not long after my post to you, we were having a nice conversation but he was talking really loud in a small room. I politely asked "Can you lower your voice?" He said "I hate it when you say that!" and stormed out of the room. Then refused to talk to me seriously and ridiculed my aversion to loud noise (from another room). I was so angry I wanted to smash something.

Later after we both calmed down he apologized but I sent him an email regardless saying I loved him but also saying that I need to be able to ask him to lower his voice and I stated some other concerns. I won't post it all here because re-reading it I think it was probably not as DJ-free as I believed at the time. But I did have this one sentence that I think is pretty good:

"I feel furious and hopeless for our future when I am trying to talk to you seriously and you walk away or make jokes or ignore me and dismiss me and my concerns."

LASTLY
I wanted to add to the phrases I've been using in my first post to you - I have also been telling him that the state of our marriage/lives is starting to affect my health. Because it really is and how can he argue that change is not necessary if my health is at risk?

Listening to MB radio every day also helps me gain perspective.

Thank you so much for this advice and specific examples. I really need help in this area. And you are right that I need to be more specific to him instead of generalities, he has told me that as well. Sometimes it hurts to even repeat the things he has done or said.

As far as telling him my health is suffering and some of the other comments you have made; I am saying all of those things, because they are very true. In fact, I have had so many heart palpitations, muscle aches, headaches, that I know are directly related to the stress I feel with us. When I say these things sometimes he takes me seriously and sometimes he acts like I am exaggerating.

I have tried so many times to ask what have I done to make you feel these ways, what can I do to help you not feel these ways.... But I never ever get any direct answers. When he does come up with an answer I never feel like he owns his feelings, it feels like he comes up with something to justify what he is feeling that is not really the reason.

For example, the other morning I had to go to a training for work. Class begins at 7:30 on normal, but the training didn't start until 8. So he still had to be at work at 7:30 where I had a few extra minutes to get ready. I guess he began feeling uncomfortable about the fact that I would not be on campus that day and started treating me strange. When I asked why he was acting the way he was, at first he played it off. Then a little later he said "you sure are getting ready early, why are you so worried about getting ready today..." This may sound innocent, but the tone in his voice and the look on his face just made my stomach cringe. The thing was I wasn't doing anything differently. I woke up a few minutes later than usual and then began going through my morning routine, exactly as normal. I wasn't dressed up or anything like that. I am always running late getting to school in the morning because I am responsible for everything, getting both kids ready, myself ready, letting the dog out, taking the kids to school... So I saw the later start time as "ok, I will wake up a little later but hopefully I can manage to be on time". But in his mind he justified treating me poorly because he convinced himself I was doing things differently. Why is that a reason for jealousy, especially when it wasn't true? I don't think he will admit to me or himself what he is really feeling.

P
P
We (really he) has a busy schedule that is physically exhausting at times. Once he is home he also wants to spend time with the kids, rest, take care of the yard, rest, etc. I know that our marriage needs to be first priority, and I want it to be, but I would love some examples of how or where you manage to fit your alone time in.

I respectfully suggest that you are coming about this from the wrong angle.

We don't "manage to fit our time in." We schedule our time together first, and then we fit in the other stuff around it.

Also, we have two little boys that would need to be taken to grandparents houses anytime that we went out for a date. So I think we will need to find most of our hours at home, although I would love more "date nights" mixed in.
UA time at home will not be near as effective as going outr on dates. It will not fill your lovebanks. Make it a priority to get out of the house on dates.

I do have a question for you about the jealousy issue, and the way y'all handle it. If this is too personal to ask, then I apologize... Has there been a past affair that created the jealousy or was it always there? Does it not bother you at all that she feels this way at all about you? This is something that has really hurt me time and time again throughout our marriage. I feel as though he has no faith in me or us, and I have never done anything to bring those feelings on. At first I tried to be considerate and understanding, but it seemed to only make the matter worse.
Markos has never had an affair. He welcomes me checking up on him because:
1. He has nothing to hide
2. It alleviates any fears or "insecurities" that I have. When I see that he's really not up to anything, it CREATES trust.

Markos' Wife
FWW - EA
8 kids ...
What to do with an Angry Husband

D
D

We honestly have very tight finances and our already budgeting down to the minimum and can't afford to hire babysitters. So the options are honestly spend some time together at home somehow, or ask for family help.

You will need to do BOTH. Spend some time together at home, ask family for help, and readjust the finances to pay a babysitter to get out of the house, to leave all those things behind for awhile. I know what a limited budget is, and there IS a way. It just takes being creative. Get used to it now, and consider it a marital care cost.

Searching the threads will give you access to the ideas of many more people than the ones who happen to be posting right now. I know for a fact that Prisca and Marcos have posted their schedule and I have posted ideas. Your questions and concerns in that are a pretty generic and have been discussed over and over.

M
M
Originally Posted by Prisca
2. It alleviates any fears or "insecurities" that I have. When I see that he's really not up to anything, it CREATES trust.

It also helps make us fantastically close to each other!

If you are serious about saving your marriage, you can't get it all on this forum. You've got to listen to the Marriage Builders Radio show, every day. Install the app!

If your wife is not on board with MB, some of my posts to other men might help you.
B
B
Originally Posted by markos
Also, our kids are not "bad" by any means, but they can be very active little boys and are not the easiest to keep up with. Neither set of parents minds helping us out, but we do feel guilty asking for too much, because they have a hard time keeping up with them sometimes.

We bring the grandparents a very nice crock pot dinner which makes them much more eager to keep the kids. smile
in addition to leaving food for babysitters I also try to keep in reserve a few games, books and movies that I know will hold their attention if the babysitter gets worn out.
I also schedule the day to get the older ones worn out and exercised before hand and the little ones napped and rested and cheerful.

I think you are lucky to have grandparents available. I pray every day that someone who is alone and is lonely will be sent our way to be our adopted grandma in a mutually beneficial way.

We pay for teen babysitters as much as can ( same set up where food and backup entertainment is already planned and the only task is to keep the kids safe) , and I am still looking for ways to trade babysitting with other local moms. Hasn't worked out for me yet, but has for others in other areas.

Married to Pearlseeker for 13 yrs
P
P
I have tried so many times to ask what have I done to make you feel these ways, what can I do to help you not feel these ways.... But I never ever get any direct answers. When he does come up with an answer I never feel like he owns his feelings, it feels like he comes up with something to justify what he is feeling that is not really the reason.

For example, the other morning I had to go to a training for work. Class begins at 7:30 on normal, but the training didn't start until 8. So he still had to be at work at 7:30 where I had a few extra minutes to get ready. I guess he began feeling uncomfortable about the fact that I would not be on campus that day and started treating me strange. When I asked why he was acting the way he was, at first he played it off. Then a little later he said "you sure are getting ready early, why are you so worried about getting ready today..." This may sound innocent, but the tone in his voice and the look on his face just made my stomach cringe. The thing was I wasn't doing anything differently. I woke up a few minutes later than usual and then began going through my morning routine, exactly as normal. I wasn't dressed up or anything like that. I am always running late getting to school in the morning because I am responsible for everything, getting both kids ready, myself ready, letting the dog out, taking the kids to school... So I saw the later start time as "ok, I will wake up a little later but hopefully I can manage to be on time". But in his mind he justified treating me poorly because he convinced himself I was doing things differently. Why is that a reason for jealousy, especially when it wasn't true? I don't think he will admit to me or himself what he is really feeling.
You are being very disrespectful here.
Being disrespectful and treating his fear as nothing will not ease his fears at all.

What are you doing to make yourself completely transparent to him? What are you doing to become integrated?

Markos' Wife
FWW - EA
8 kids ...

P
P

You will need to do BOTH. Spend some time together at home, ask family for help, and readjust the finances to pay a babysitter to get out of the house,
UA at home is not effective.

Markos' Wife
FWW - EA
8 kids ...

M
M
Originally Posted by Prisca
UA at home is not effective.

UA time at home will not work because he will ignore her. He will not give her his undivided attention. He will divide his attention between her and things at home. Even if the children are asleep.

No woman who is having trouble getting her husband to do UA should be encouraged to do UA at home.

M
M
[You will need to do BOTH. Spend some time together at home, ask family for help

JB, when DQ says you need to do both, keep in mind that the vast majority of your UA time needs to be spent out of the house on DATES. You should strive for 4 - 4 hour dates. That is 16 hours. It shoudl be followed by an hour at home alone in your room.. So that is another 4-6 hours in your own bed.

UA time spent at home is largely useless becasue it is too easy to get distracted by just about anything.

I would sit down wtih a weekly schedule and schedule out your dates. After that, schedule in your working time. Then add some family time. THEN you can schedule time for less importatnt things like coaching, hobbies, etc, if there is still time.

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

M
M
UA time at home will not work because he will ignore her. He will not give her his undivided attention. He will divide his attention between her and things at home. Even if the children are asleep.

No woman who is having trouble getting her husband to do UA should be encouraged to do UA at home.

So agree. It is useless and she will only be competing with absolutely everything else. Not even Dr Harley and Joyce spend their UA time at home. It is too distracting.

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

D
D
Originally Posted by MelodyLane
[You will need to do BOTH. Spend some time together at home, ask family for help

JB, when DQ says you need to do both, keep in mind that the vast majority of your UA time needs to be spent out of the house on DATES. You should strive for 4 - 4 hour dates. That is 16 hours. It shoudl be followed by an hour at home alone in your room.. So that is another 4-6 hours in your own bed.

UA time spent at home is largely useless becasue it is too easy to get distracted by just about anything.

I would sit down wtih a weekly schedule and schedule out your dates. After that, schedule in your working time. Then add some family time. THEN you can schedule time for less importatnt things like coaching, hobbies, etc, if there is still time.

I'm sorry all, if what I said was misleading. Mel, your first paragraph here is what I was trying to prepare her for. There is some time needed at home for things like planning mtg., doing worksheets,lessons and of course, bedroom time. I agree that getting out of the house looking your best on a 4 hr. date is a must, especially when there are distractions at home.

N
N
jkbt, Welcome! Oh my goodness it sounds like you have an uphill climb there, with young kids and such a deep disrespect that your husband would curse you like that.

For UA time, when my kids were young, we took turns having the kids do sleepovers Friday nights with another family with a daughter the same age as mine. So then you get a 4 hour date Friday night, and potentially you could do a date Saturday morning as well. Or maybe your kids can sleepover with grandparents Friday nights. Prisca and markos go to a gym that has babysitting for date nights, I wish I had thought of that!

It sounds like after lack of UA, Angry Outbursts are the biggest obstacle you two face. Have you read Angry Outbursts?

Prior to the incident where a man was staring at you, you may not have been as sexually interested in him as he would have liked. A transcript of the discussion you had on the fifth day may have helped us fully understand what was developing between the two of you.

At the dinner you may have looked particularly appealing to your husband, and he may have felt inadequate. His intimidation may have sparked his argument with you, which was his attempt to put himself back into a position of control. But instead, you became angry with him and rejected him sexually by going to bed with your clothes on. That made him feel even more inadequate, and he felt he had to increase his abuse to try to regain control. He may have thought he needed to teach you a lesson so you would think twice about refusing him sex again....

The behavior of your husband that you describe to me in your letter is abuse, pure and simple. I'm sure you retaliated with your own abuse of him, and that's something you should learn to avoid, too.... There is no excuse for him accusing you of wanting to go to bed with a man that looked at you -- or wanting to do anything for that matter. He is being disrespectful and abusive.

There's another side to the story, of course. His side. He would explain to me that you do and say things that hurt his feelings, and whenever you do, he doesn't believe you love him, or ever did love him. He thinks you do not agree with him enough, and that proves you don't support him. He may think that whenever you prefer not to make love to him it's evidence that you don't love him enough.

But I would point out to him that your love for him is HIS problem, not yours. You love him to the extent that he is meeting your needs and not hurting you. Granted, there are times that he has done an excellent job meeting your needs, but there are other times when he's been awful....

Those are my opinions and observations. Now, what to do about it.

I would look him right in the eye and say to him, "Listen Buster, do you love me? Do you care at all about how I feel? If you do, you sure have a funny way of showing it! I love you and want to spend the rest of my life with you. But it sure will be unpleasant for both of us if you keep treating me this way. You are not doing things that I admire, you're doing things that I find disgusting!"

If he says, "Fine, then lets just get a divorce and end it all."

To that I would say, "It's up to you. I married you for life, but if you want a divorce, it's your call. If you want to be in a love relationship with me, however, you're going to have to treat me much better than you have been treating me. From this moment on you will never again bring up my affair, and if you are upset with me, you will have to treat me with respect until we can solve the problem. I will agree to do the same with you. If you are upset with our sexual relationship, I want us to discuss it as adults and solve it with mutual respect. I refuse to be treated like this, even by the man I love."

It may take him a while to digest what you say, and he may leave in a huff. But once it sinks in, he will probably agree with you that at least some of the problem is his.

Pay close attention to my section on Love Busters. You both need to work on avoiding Angry Outbursts. You probably need to work on avoiding Disrespectful Judgments and Selfish Demands as well. While you're at it, you may want complete my Emotional Needs Questionnaire to see if you are failing to meet any of each other's needs.

I think your marriage is secure, at least for the short run. Your husband, to his credit, still has your love. But he won't have it long if he gets away with this one. The most encouraging part of this crisis is that it may provide the catalyst to help you straighten your marriage out once and for all.

Me 40, OD 18 and YD 13
Married 15 years, Divorced 10/2010
J
JBKT16 Offline OP
OP Offline
J
I was never meaning any disrespect to my husband. And I appreciate all the advice. To be honest, I don't think that some of the suggestions are reasonable here. Or don't fully understand our situation.

I do care about his feelings and feel bad and want to help him through his feelings of insecurity. I thought I had been doing everything I possibly could to do that, and it never got any better (it never "created trust" as mentioned before). In fact the more transparent I have tried to be, the more and more these problems happen. What am I supposed to do when transparency is not enough, and when the way he handles these feelings is just downright mean and disrespectful?

I am not trying to be difficult and I completely "buy in" to everything about the program, but I think there are deep issues here and I don't know if I can help him through them.

Off of the issue of feeling insecure, and on to the UA for a minute. Someone mentioned about "coaching and other activities" later..... I'm not sure if I made the coaching part clear. This is not a hobby where he coaches little league or anything like that. This is his job. Our marriage needs to be first, which it is not now, but our family couldn't survive without us having jobs. There is no way for our UA time to come before his job. I am going to have to get creative with how to find the time after his job.

I know some of you may suggest "he should do a different kind of job". This is something he did at the beginning of our marriage (the first 2 years), and it nearly killed us. He was miserable and I was to the point where I didn't hardly like to be around him. It is a much happier person in the career that he is very good at and I want him to have that in his life. Can't he have a successful career and marriage?

As for the dates being out of the house, I understand what everyone is saying, and you are likely right that the attention wouldn't necessarily be there. I guess what I was thinking was earlier in our marriage we used to get in bed a little early, and a lot of time we would goof around together, sometimes have good conversation and sometimes it would turn intimate. If we could somehow bring that back that would at least get some hours started and then try to work in the dates as well?

Since we are both teachers and the summer is getting really close I am hoping that we are able to set a standard for spending time together since it will be much easier to accomplish. Last night he did follow through and brought up the program and we talked quite a bit about it. I think this is a big step forward, but we shall see. He agreed to sitting down Sunday evening and talking about what all was coming up for the next week and to schedule our hours together. Hopefully this Sunday will be our first time to do this.

I very much appreciate all the advice, and I understand people come here and are skeptical, but I honestly feel like our personal situation is not being taken into account. Like the finances for example....

We have come a long way on our finances we spent thousands and thousands of dollars attempting to have our children, much of this was through loans. Some of which have been paid, some of which we are still working on. Our two year old began having medical issues at the age of about 14 months (he is 2.5 now) so we have been seeing 3 different specialist, along with repeated trips to the regular dr. He has also had two upper endoscopes and one colonoscopy in the last years worth of time. I found out I was extremely anemic during the middle of this time period, and had to do very expensive iron infusions. Have not been able to do some of the other medical things I need to do because of finances. Not trying to share our life story, just think that there are circumstances that are not the same for each couple. I think it is assumed that maybe we can handle our finances better and that there is money somewhere. Which I understand because a few years back that would have been exactly true.... But at this point, we are actually being very smart with our money, and trying to come back from the debt that we are in as well as manage that huge pile of medical bills I have sitting right in front of me.

So with that being said, I do understand that our marriage has to be fixed at all cost. I just think I am going to have to get more creative at times to make that happen.

I think someone mentioned sleep-overs. That is hopefully an option in the future, but at this point our kids are too little for that (they aren't even in school yet), plus the fact that we are new to the area and besides our family we don't have friends with little kids, or anything like that.

J
JBKT16 Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Originally Posted by NewEveryDay
jkbt, Welcome! Oh my goodness it sounds like you have an uphill climb there, with young kids and such a deep disrespect that your husband would curse you like that.

For UA time, when my kids were young, we took turns having the kids do sleepovers Friday nights with another family with a daughter the same age as mine. So then you get a 4 hour date Friday night, and potentially you could do a date Saturday morning as well. Or maybe your kids can sleepover with grandparents Friday nights. Prisca and markos go to a gym that has babysitting for date nights, I wish I had thought of that!

It sounds like after lack of UA, Angry Outbursts are the biggest obstacle you two face. Have you read Angry Outbursts?

Prior to the incident where a man was staring at you, you may not have been as sexually interested in him as he would have liked. A transcript of the discussion you had on the fifth day may have helped us fully understand what was developing between the two of you.

At the dinner you may have looked particularly appealing to your husband, and he may have felt inadequate. His intimidation may have sparked his argument with you, which was his attempt to put himself back into a position of control. But instead, you became angry with him and rejected him sexually by going to bed with your clothes on. That made him feel even more inadequate, and he felt he had to increase his abuse to try to regain control. He may have thought he needed to teach you a lesson so you would think twice about refusing him sex again....

The behavior of your husband that you describe to me in your letter is abuse, pure and simple. I'm sure you retaliated with your own abuse of him, and that's something you should learn to avoid, too.... There is no excuse for him accusing you of wanting to go to bed with a man that looked at you -- or wanting to do anything for that matter. He is being disrespectful and abusive.

There's another side to the story, of course. His side. He would explain to me that you do and say things that hurt his feelings, and whenever you do, he doesn't believe you love him, or ever did love him. He thinks you do not agree with him enough, and that proves you don't support him. He may think that whenever you prefer not to make love to him it's evidence that you don't love him enough.

But I would point out to him that your love for him is HIS problem, not yours. You love him to the extent that he is meeting your needs and not hurting you. Granted, there are times that he has done an excellent job meeting your needs, but there are other times when he's been awful....

Those are my opinions and observations. Now, what to do about it.

I would look him right in the eye and say to him, "Listen Buster, do you love me? Do you care at all about how I feel? If you do, you sure have a funny way of showing it! I love you and want to spend the rest of my life with you. But it sure will be unpleasant for both of us if you keep treating me this way. You are not doing things that I admire, you're doing things that I find disgusting!"

If he says, "Fine, then lets just get a divorce and end it all."

To that I would say, "It's up to you. I married you for life, but if you want a divorce, it's your call. If you want to be in a love relationship with me, however, you're going to have to treat me much better than you have been treating me. From this moment on you will never again bring up my affair, and if you are upset with me, you will have to treat me with respect until we can solve the problem. I will agree to do the same with you. If you are upset with our sexual relationship, I want us to discuss it as adults and solve it with mutual respect. I refuse to be treated like this, even by the man I love."

It may take him a while to digest what you say, and he may leave in a huff. But once it sinks in, he will probably agree with you that at least some of the problem is his.

Pay close attention to my section on Love Busters. You both need to work on avoiding Angry Outbursts. You probably need to work on avoiding Disrespectful Judgments and Selfish Demands as well. While you're at it, you may want complete my Emotional Needs Questionnaire to see if you are failing to meet any of each other's needs.

I think your marriage is secure, at least for the short run. Your husband, to his credit, still has your love. But he won't have it long if he gets away with this one. The most encouraging part of this crisis is that it may provide the catalyst to help you straighten your marriage out once and for all.

I have ready angry outburst and you are correct. This is a huge part of our problem. Both he and I. Once I get talked to so horribly I end up exploding. I can honeslty say that for the last week or so (since beginning to read here) that I have really been working on my reactions and I am getting better at controlling myself, and have not yelled in response to him.

He agreed to quite them as well last night when we talked. But one thing I don't think he realizes is how hurtful many of the things he says are, not only the obvious ones. Does that make sense?

J
JBKT16 Offline OP
OP Offline
J
I do have a question for you about the jealousy issue, and the way y'all handle it. If this is too personal to ask, then I apologize... Has there been a past affair that created the jealousy or was it always there? Does it not bother you at all that she feels this way at all about you? This is something that has really hurt me time and time again throughout our marriage. I feel as though he has no faith in me or us, and I have never done anything to bring those feelings on. At first I tried to be considerate and understanding, but it seemed to only make the matter worse.

[/quote]

I apologize if what I asked was disrespectful or anything toward y'all, I was not trying to come across that way. Just need help understanding if anyone else has ever gone through what I am going through with my husband (these severe feelings of doubt / without an affair that started it).

I am assuming that you have never treated him poorly (or that you don't now) about the feelings that you get? Horrible things have been said / implied to me because of these feelings he has. It is not the feelings that I am upset with. I know he can't help what he is feeling. But I am not a slut or dirty or any of the things that he has said or implied throughout the years. He even will admit he knows I haven't cheated on him and somehow seems to think that he is keeping me from cheating on him from behaving this way. It feels like he is trying to intimidate me into not cheating on him. Which seems so backwards. First off, I would not cheat on him for numerous reasons, and have tried to be considerate and transparent and it does not seem to help. What do I do?

Last edited by JBKT16; 05/15/15 10:14 AM.
M
M
I do care about his feelings and feel bad and want to help him through his feelings of insecurity. I thought I had been doing everything I possibly could to do that, and it never got any better (it never "created trust" as mentioned before). In fact the more transparent I have tried to be, the more and more these problems happen. What am I supposed to do when transparency is not enough, and when the way he handles these feelings is just downright mean and disrespectful?

JBK, and he may never feel secure no matter what you do. Some people are just wired like that. What the program would do is teach him to stop committing love busters when he feels that way.

I am not trying to be difficult and I completely "buy in" to everything about the program, but I think there are deep issues here and I don't know if I can help him through them.

AGree.

Off of the issue of feeling insecure, and on to the UA for a minute. Someone mentioned about "coaching and other activities" later..... I'm not sure if I made the coaching part clear. This is not a hobby where he coaches little league or anything like that. This is his job. Our marriage needs to be first, which it is not now, but our family couldn't survive without us having jobs. There is no way for our UA time to come before his job. I am going to have to get creative with how to find the time after his job.

Your family is not surviving. You are headed to divorce. How will you survive when you are divorced? I assure you that you won't get the benefit of that coaching job if you are divorced. We aren't asking you to make your family destitute, but you need to find an option that accommodates your marriage instead of the other way around.

I know some of you may suggest "he should do a different kind of job". This is something he did at the beginning of our marriage (the first 2 years), and it nearly killed us. He was miserable and I was to the point where I didn't hardly like to be around him. It is a much happier person in the career that he is very good at and I want him to have that in his life. Can't he have a successful career and marriage?

You are killing your marriage. So the solution is to find a career that accommodates your marriage.

As for the dates being out of the house, I understand what everyone is saying, and you are likely right that the attention wouldn't necessarily be there. I guess what I was thinking was earlier in our marriage we used to get in bed a little early, and a lot of time we would goof around together, sometimes have good conversation and sometimes it would turn intimate. If we could somehow bring that back that would at least get some hours started and then try to work in the dates as well?

I would focus on finding a way to get 4 4 hour dates out of the house instead of looking for ways NOT to do that. In the past you were in love and focused on each other. Now you are not.

I very much appreciate all the advice, and I understand people come here and are skeptical, but I honestly feel like our personal situation is not being taken into account. Like the finances for example....

You are not looking at the big picture. Part of your problem is that you believe you can fiddle around the edges and effect some change. You cannot. You need to be thinking of your finances when you are DIVORCED because that is where you headed.

You need to take a more serious approach to this process if you want to stop the divorce train.

Exposure 101

J
JBKT16 Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Originally Posted by buildsherhouse

in addition to leaving food for babysitters I also try to keep in reserve a few games, books and movies that I know will hold their attention if the babysitter gets worn out.
I also schedule the day to get the older ones worn out and exercised before hand and the little ones napped and rested and cheerful.

I think you are lucky to have grandparents available. I pray every day that someone who is alone and is lonely will be sent our way to be our adopted grandma in a mutually beneficial way.

We pay for teen babysitters as much as can ( same set up where food and backup entertainment is already planned and the only task is to keep the kids safe) , and I am still looking for ways to trade babysitting with other local moms. Hasn't worked out for me yet, but has for others in other areas.

I totally understand and always try to have the kids in the "best way" possible when they go to someone else's house. But at the same time that is not always possible. Like last night we asked for my mom to watch them so we could go to eat and talk about all this. They had both been at daycare all day long so I really wasn't in control of how their day went. The little one was having diarrhea, etc. The big one can be "distracted" not so much with the two year old. He has a very strict diet (medical purposes) which is not easy to manage, he is a climber, he can scale anything. I turned my head for a few seconds one day while cooking and he was 6 ft up on top of a bookshelf! Luckily it was bolted from the top! I am saying this to say, he is not bad, just not necessarily an easy little one to take care of smile.

M
M
What is the standard divorce settlement in your state? How much can you afford living on only your salary and child support? I would figure that out and use it as a point of comparison when making decisions about whether or not you can follow this program.

Think about housing, car payments, etc. What kind of house can you afford on your income?

Exposure 101

Page 3 of 26 1 2 3 4 5 25 26

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 1,116 guests, and 67 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Mike69, petercgeelan, Zorya, Reyna98, Nofoguy
71,829 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation