Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
L
L
Hi,
I just wanted to let you know that I feel your frustration. My WH is still in constant contact with OW online. It sounds to me like you might be getting a dangerously low balance in your love bank.
I think the big thing to remember is at least he has taken the step of going to counseling. It might be a baby step but I don't think patience is any of our virtues during times like these.
I had to make a concentrated effort to fill up so much of WH's time (without getting too annoying or clingy) that he is left with very little time for online chatting etc.
I don't know if it is working and I definately feel when this is all over I will deserve a little certificate that says "Grand champion of the patience game"
Just remember, this helped me a lot, you do what you need to do to fell comfortable.
Don't compare your situation to anyone elses.
We are all different with thousands of different factors in our relationships.
Only you will know when to say uncle and no one here will berate you for trying whatever you have to try or waiting as long as you want to wait.
We all have your back, so to speak. Just look out for you!
Hugs!
layli

A
OP Offline
A
Hi Yank, Hanora and Layli,

Thanks so much for your posts. Been a busy day. We will be moving in just 10 days!

Yank, your plan sounds good. You seem to have good expectations for what you want from your wife by way of commitment in order to elicit the change that will make your marriage happier. That seems pretty clear. I hear you on the general sadness you feel with all the infidelity out there. Try to not personalize it all; just deal with your own. I understand.

Hanora, you're a gem. I know it sounds crazy, but the move will be pretty much transcontinental. I AM excited about a fresh start. I look forward to it.

Layli, thanks for your insights. You are right about no one knowing the multitude of individual characteristics that make up each marriage. We can only decide for ourselves. Still and all, I appreciate trustworthy opinions, which I find MBers to be. :-)

Gotta run. Take care.

O
O
asgoodasitgets,

I don't know whether we have 'talked' before, but I think I can answer your question about what to do.

I agree with the others who have mentioned plan B. You see, my H was full of promises and apparently 'really committed' to recovering our M. We were in MC for months, with H finally coming around to really wanting the M, really loving me, and supposedly understanding the work that we needed to do to recover our M. Unfortunately, he talked the talked but simply would not walk the walk; everything in the M, related to the A or not, even related to H's actions and issues were all my problems according to my H. I kept to plan A and held out as long as I could, but I went to plan B at exactly one year after d-day #1; the A was long since over, but H had not really changed anything else and even continued contact with OW and potential OW on the computer. I can see how plan B with 6 children would seem impossible, but please give it some serious thought.

Plan B really did make the difference here. H finally made changes and stopped taking the 'that is your problem' approach to everything. He took responsibility for his conduct and the effect that conduct had on others (and his own moral core), and he actually made changes that he stuck to. There were a few issues that were hold outs, and they almost ended the M, but I think those issues have also been wrestled under control.

Plan B (modified to deal with shared parenting of our two children) was the best thing I could have done. Frankly, I wish I had done it earlier. Perhaps I could have held onto some of the romatic love I used to feel so deeply for H, in addition to a list of other stuff which I won't bore you with.

Of course, plan B is best entered into after planning it and getting yourself in as good a position as you can; but even if it is sudden, it is doable.

I actually gave my H a warning of sorts before plan B, by telling him that I felt that the changes he promised were in word only and that immediate action (with details) was necessary because I was beginning to seriously contemplate separating. When he asked if I had a time frame in mind, I told him two weeks. At two weeks, we had a long discussion about what still needed changing (everything, because he had done nothing) and whether I was still thinking of separating (I was, even more); we even talked about the details of a separation, if I resorted to that. About a week after that, I went to plan B by asking him to move out; he would not agree at first, but then realized it was either that or I would petition the court for an exclusive possession order on our home and have it executed by the authorities, so he agreed. He asked me for my word that I would not start D proceedings for at least 90 days, which I gave. At about 100 days, I invited him to move back home, because he had made the big changes and was sticking to them (as far as I could tell).

So, I am really a believer in Plan B and its utility in getting a 'reluctant WS' to get with the program. There are no guarantees that Plan B will work, but when the alternative is a serious risk of another A, continuing to be hurt and having ENs go unmet, having a sham of a M, having the children dragged through emotional upheaval because one or both parents are very unhappy, etc., Plan B is definitely more acceptable (if not inherently attractive).

Tell the C and have a joint session a.s.a.p. to discuss his continued offensive conduct. That might be an ideal time to discuss your boundaries and the consequences of breaking those boundaries. Another thing to discuss, if you think you can (I did and it was effective), is what plan B (use "separation" if he or the MC is not MB-literate) would look like - when each person parents, who is in the house and when, what the financial arrangements would be, etc.

Let us know how things are going, okay?

Hugs,

OneDay

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Fordude 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 432 guests, and 66 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation