Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1577015 01/30/06 12:24 PM
S
OP Offline
S
It is sometimes hard to expose a loved ones affair to those whom you know hold the person you love in high esteem. When the WS begs you to not, through shame, what do you do?
A man, after the WW begged not to be exposed, chose not to expose. He also felt shame that his WW would do this and felt that he was lacking. It had happened in a previous marriage where he could see his own shortcomings. But although this time he felt shame, he knew, although not perfect, he had tried his hardest to make the marriage work.
He struggled to come to terms with the A, and the massive deception but still it was not understood, and he couldnt get the answers he needed to move on. The marriage of 10 years, faltered badly. He had had a drink problem 20 years prior, and with other problems on top of the A, fell victim to the drink again. Eventually close to a nervous breakdown, he did something so ridiculous that caused his life to spiral out of control for over a year. He told a massive lie, and on top, he was an alcoholic again. In his unhappiness he tried to end the marriage, but was unsure what he wanted. He had so many unanswered questions. Because of the lie he told, and was living, he felt guilt, he always thought he deserved the bad treatment he got from the WW.(After all, it had happened all his life, from his childhood, adolescence, first marriage, and now a woman whom he thought in a million years couldnt possible be a WW. A year later on and he admitted the lie, (perhaps his lie was something to do with the WW's lie and massive deception that had been going on for a year??)and lost all his family and freinds. He nearly lost his children too. To this day, the ex WW has used his behaviours over the last few years against him. In his guilt he took on unpayable debt (hers) which will be set against him for years, gave her everything financially and lost everyone. He walked away with no possesions and no support. Recently, after being sober for a year, and getting his life back on track again (although hard with insummountable debt over his head) he started telling a few people what started his downward spiral. No one believes him, and thinks he is making excuses for his bad behaviours and leaving her. She has, outrighted lied recently to people when questioned, and to this day is proud she got away with it, saying that 2 parents bad behaviours are too much for people and children to take. So he remains the scapegoat, and has lost his beloved family to her as she still actively sees them and holidays with them, but they wont have anything to do with him. He has lost out to a selfish WW, who spent a year with another man, and couldnt explain her own selfishness, just thought it should be forgiven.
Can you imagine, how it would feel to go off the rails because you couldnt cope with your WS deception, and then be blamed for it? He thought he was protecting her honour, and in doing so, he lost his own.

H
H
Thank you for this information. I think that it along with other comments from MB'ers here has convinced me to do what I already knew that I needed to do and was afraid to do.

I will be calling OMW today to tell her of my WW and her WH affair at the workplace. I am not sure what will happen at that point but I know that it is the right thing to do morally and is another means of trying to end the A and salvage my M with WW. I have previously confronted OM and my WW but it appears that it only served to "cool" the A (probably not physical right now, but can't say for sure) a litte, but her comment to me that "we talked and decided it was best not to see each other for now", tells me that he was not that convincing in ending it with my WW. The fact that she still works there and he still works there tells me that at least she is still wanting something to go on and that the opportunity is there and temptation to contiue the A (EA/PA??) is still there.

Thank you for your story it has helped confirm my necessary actions.

P
P
He thought he was protecting her honour, and in doing so, he lost his own.

... because this truth can stand alone

S
OP Offline
S
i hope that this helps anyone else with regard to how they feel about exposing. An A is an awful thing, that we often look inwards to see what we have done. Whilst often, we may be accountable for some LB's (no ones marriage is perfect! if it was this site wouldnt exist!) Im sure many would agree that this site is most helpful.
We are not perfect individuals. The world is not a perfect place, but although there are some of us who are introspective and accountable for our actions, there are also some of us who are not, for whatever reason.
To err is to be human for sure. I have done much wrong in my 39 years, but i would like to think that i can learn from my mistakes. I hope my 40's are better!

S
OP Offline
S
By the way, i should add, this story is not about me! Ive made my own mistakes, but not these!

Moderated by  Fordude 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 522 guests, and 41 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation