Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#2085450 07/06/08 12:29 PM
T
Tania Offline OP
OP Offline
T
I need some advice from you all. I come from a very strict religious christian household. Of course, we were taught that divorce is wrong and remarriage is even worse. During my marriage I was physically and mentally abused and also my husband cheated on me. So this is reason for divorce. However, because of difference of opinions within my family and church...I have been told that I can not remarry. I would like to get remarried in the future and finally start a family. Personally I don't see anything wrong with me having a relationship but I was told that since my marriage did not work out maybe it was not in Gods will for me to be married. I think differently about this. The problem is...because of everybody else's opinions I am not moving on with my life since getting a divorce. I want to meet new people and start to enjoy life. I was in bondage to my marriage for 5 years and I lost all of my freedom to an abusive spouse. I often worry about what others think of me. I want to date, not a serious relationship but see what is out there for me. Should I continue to live my life according to how others tell me or should I live my life for myself. Is there anyone else out there that have had a similar situation where you could not decide what to do with your life after divorce because you were trying to live your life to make everyone else happy? Please someone tell me how I can push over others opinions about me and go on and enjoy my life.

Tania #2085466 07/06/08 01:01 PM
C
C
Go and date and meet new people..There is nothing wrong with that.. Don't listen to people what they say.. first of all i don't think they should be judging. that's not very christian.. If they want to judge anyone it should be ex-husband.. You are not doing anything wrong.. I think god would want for you to be happy.. that's all that matters. Start living your life..

cantbeliveit #2085475 07/06/08 01:20 PM
C
C
A church is supposed to be there to give you support, not to dictate how you live your life. It should give advice on what it believes, but it has no right to tell you you can or can't date or remarry. I think that any church that says that is a male-dominated church and interprets God's word to suit their desires.

I think this is a perfect opportunity for you to start a new page in your life - dedicated to taking care of YOU, not everyone else. You're an adult; you don't have to answer to anyone.

And if your church makes you uncomfortable, consider visiting other denominations. The Lutheran church even recommends this, and sends it kids out to visit other churches so they can understand how different ones interpret things differently. Just because your parents gave you this church to belong to, doesn't mean you have to stay there.

Tania #2085853 07/07/08 09:45 AM
D
dkd Offline
D
I'm not quite sure why your church's attitude on marriage implies that it male dominated, but that really doesn't matter. I agree with what everyone is saying, but I think you need to be prepared to lose some family and friends if they are that set in thier views. If your desire to start your own family is that strong, then do that. If not, then don't. However, I imagine they will always push you to reconcile and you'll never be able to move on.

I understand the whole worrying about what people think of you, but you're never going to please everybody, so all you can do is focus on you and God.

catperson #2085950 07/07/08 12:15 PM
B
B
Originally Posted by catperson
A church is supposed to be there to give you support, not to dictate how you live your life. It should give advice on what it believes, but it has no right to tell you you can or can't date or remarry.
I disagree. A church is not supposed to just support your choices. Should a church provide support for adulterers because it's not supposed to tell people how to live their lives? No.

But that said, I also disagree with this particular church's position on divorce and remarriage. While the OP's church has the right to tell her that she shouldn't date or remarry, the OP has the right to attend a different church--one that has a different perspective on divorce, dating and remarriage.

BH (Me): 33, XWW: 33
Married 1999, No kids
EA: 11/04?-10/07, PA: 05/07
D-Day: 06/07
Divorced: 04/09
Affair is over for OP but not for WS
WW wants to move away w/o me
WW moved away w/o me

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 963 guests, and 78 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation