Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 14 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 14
J
J
Originally Posted by mimi_here
In the inner cities...places like Philadelphia. The proof is on the streets. Moms with kids from 5 different dads...collecting welfare, hanging out in bars, doing drugs, etc.

There are working women...not on welfare..with kids with 5 different dads..there'a a MORAL CRISIS in this society...

Yes, you are right there are. I nor Medic is implying that every mother with 5 kids from 5 different fathers are on welfare. The point is that there are a LOT of those that are and the reason they are is because IT'S EASY....its FREE MONEY.

Yes, we have a MORAL CRISIS in this country...and what DO WE DO ABOUT THAT?? We're taken GOD out of the schools (I'm sure that some will have something to say about that comment...I'd name names but the Mod's will get me blush), sex and filthy lauguage is plastered on daytime and primetime TV and in most movies for our Children to see.

And Sex SELLS! We have controlls on our TV's and Internet but I can't control what my kids see away from home ..... rant2

Me46
FWH42
Married 19 yrs
EA 4/07 - 4/08
(Confirmed by polygraph that it had not gone PA)
Dday1 4/13/08
Dday2 8/8/08
S26
S16
D10
Trying to Recover
M
M
Actually, Mimi, When former President Bill Clinton was poised to sign welfare reform while running for re-election in 1996, Obama called it "disturbing."

In one of the debates, Obama stated that this was one of his errors and that there has been a major change in his thinking about this...

In response to this same question, McCain did not answer the question directly about past errors.

I made it happen..a joyful life..filled with peace, contentment, happiness and fabulocity.
M
M
The point is that there are a LOT of those that are and the reason they are is because IT'S EASY....its FREE MONEY.

How can you make the assumption that people on welfare are doing it for the money then? They could be doing for the same reasons that women who are not on welfare have those children..because of the MORAL CRISIS or other reasons..not to GET MONEY. There's NO MONEY obtained from WELFARE...it's a drop in the bucket what they get.. Unfortunately, many of these women obtain MORE MONEY illegally.

I made it happen..a joyful life..filled with peace, contentment, happiness and fabulocity.
J
J
When Obama referred to "bankrupting THEM", the them he was referring to was any company that choose to build a NEW plant using all coal power. He was NOT referring to bankrupting the coal industry.

Bahahahahahahahahhaha....... rotflmao I'm SOOOOOOOO glad you cleared that up.

He's ONLY going to BANKRUPT NEW COMPANIES.....well that makes it ALL RIGHT THEN. Wooooo...I feel better and I'm SURE that all the people in PA, WV and other states that produce and use coal feel better TOO.... faint

Me46
FWH42
Married 19 yrs
EA 4/07 - 4/08
Dday1 4/13/08
Dday2 8/8/08
S26
S16
D10
Trying to Recover
M
OP Offline
M
Mr. W, I wish you really would debunk the issues that have been brought up, especially the earlier ones on this thread. I don't like feeling the way I do about what may be our next President.

W/ regards to this new revelation about how Obama wants to use price signals to change the behavior of the coal industry, I wonder how the folks who rely on this industry to earn a living will feel about this.

Also, any idea how bankrupting people/companies “will also generate billions of dollars” so we can "invest in other alternative energy approaches"?

L
L
In many cases of welfare abuse, there is actually an employed man living in the rent-subsidized apartment...unreported, of course. He is not around should a welfare case worker pay a vist. The problem is..welfare employees are hampered by rules and regulations and cannot refer any suspected abuse case to the investigators UNLESS someone reports the abuse.

There are many welfare recipients who work "under the table"...and shame on those who hire them, because they are abusing the tax system by not paying employer taxes.

One example of income tax fraud is when someone uses the child and the child's SS# to claim the child as a dependent and for Earned Income Credit. IMHO, there should be some sort of coordination between the tax system and the welfare rolls. If someone is claiming a child as a dependent on taxes, then that person's income needs to be figured into the calculations for welfare benefits.

When a minor girl has a child, her parents' income is not included in the calculations for welfare assistance, but you can bet your boots that Mom and Dad are likely claiming that child on their income tax return.

When I was working for the welfare department, I wished I had a nickel for everytime a mother told me that she had no idea where her child's father was...only to come up pregnant a few months later, naming the same man as the father of a new baby. When questioned, the answer was, invariably, "Well, he comes by to see the baby sometimes." :RollieEyes:

Oh...and Mimi, about 35 years ago, an article in Reader's Digest calculated the value of welfare benefits for a single mother of 2 in Mississippi. The value of all benefits (welfare check, Food Stamps, subsidized rent, Medicaid) was just barely over $15,000/yr. At that time, I was working for the welfare department (considered to be a very good job at that time), and my yearly salary was just under $10,000. Seems to me that something was wrong with that picture!

Last edited by Lady_Clueless; 11/02/08 09:19 PM.

"Your actions are so loud that I can't hear a word you're saying!"

BW M 44 yrs to still-foggy but now-faithful WH. What/how I post=my biz. Report any perceived violations to the Mods.
J
J
In one of the debates, Obama stated that this was one of his errors and that there has been a major change in his thinking about this...

Seems like he makes a lot of mistakes.... uhuh

Hmmmmmmm....are they REALLY mistakes or is it just telling you and the rest of on the LEFT what he THINKS you want to hear today then changing it again when he thinks you want to hear something different???

Me46
FWH42
Married 19 yrs
EA 4/07 - 4/08
Dday1 4/13/08
Dday2 8/8/08
S26
S16
D10
Trying to Recover
R
R
There's NO MONEY obtained from WELFARE...it's a drop in the bucket what they get.. Unfortunately, many of these women obtain MORE MONEY illegally.

Mimi,

They do receive Welfare checks for each child. So they do receive $$.

For these women I'm speaking of, I've heard their conversations about needing to get pregnant again soon so they won't have to get a job.

They have made it a way of life, and it's generational now. Their mothers modeled it for them, so they were taught this is what you do to make a livelihood for yourself.

They are getting a free ride on our taxes:

Their housing is free.
Their food is free.
They get $$ for each child.
Their medical and dental is free.
Even their Utils are subsudized by Welfare.

J
J
The point is that there are a LOT of those that are and the reason they are is because IT'S EASY....its FREE MONEY.

How can you make the assumption that people on welfare are doing it for the money then? They could be doing for the same reasons that women who are not on welfare have those children..because of the MORAL CRISIS or other reasons..not to GET MONEY. There's NO MONEY obtained from WELFARE...it's a drop in the bucket what they get.. Unfortunately, many of these women obtain MORE MONEY illegally.

I'm not assuming anything. I honesty do not care how many children others have nor whether they are by the same father or not. I do care if I have to pay for it though.

Whether its a moral issue or not, is not the point. The POINT is whether you have morals or not, DO NOT EXPECT someone else to pay for your decisions in life.

Me46
FWH42
Married 19 yrs
EA 4/07 - 4/08
Dday1 4/13/08
Dday2 8/8/08
S26
S16
D10
Trying to Recover
M
M
Jo:

I agree that it is wrong and unfortunate what is happening for the women that you are talking about.

But you cannot make the assumption that is true for ALL women receiving governmental assistance.

I was saying that the money that is received is not very much.

IMO, there is just as much or more abuse by wealthy business who use tax loopholes to avoid paying taxes.

There are cases of families who pull themselves out of welfare with entire families of college graduates raised within the welfare system.

J
J
W/ regards to this new revelation about how Obama wants to use price signals to change the behavior of the coal industry, I wonder how the folks who rely on this industry to earn a living will feel about this.

Marsh...he doesn't care.....just like the LEFT doesn't care about the millions that will lose their jobs if Obama gets his way with Socialized Medicine.

If it doesn't effect them personally....THE LEFT DOESN'T CARE.

Me46
FWH42
Married 19 yrs
EA 4/07 - 4/08
Dday1 4/13/08
Dday2 8/8/08
S26
S16
D10
Trying to Recover
W
W
Originally Posted by JoJo422
When Obama referred to "bankrupting THEM", the them he was referring to was any company that choose to build a NEW plant using all coal power. He was NOT referring to bankrupting the coal industry.

Bahahahahahahahahhaha....... rotflmao I'm SOOOOOOOO glad you cleared that up.

He's ONLY going to BANKRUPT NEW COMPANIES.....well that makes it ALL RIGHT THEN. Wooooo...I feel better and I'm SURE that all the people in PA, WV and other states that produce and use coal feel better TOO.... faint

Study Says Coal Plant Pollution Kills 30,000 A Year

I would say being a responsible member of the community in which you inhabit would be pretty important otherwise you won't be in business for long.

Want2Stay

M
M
I don't see it the way that y'all do...just don't.

I feel sorry for those people that don't know any better...anytime I hear of stories like that..I feel sad for them..

M
OP Offline
M
Also, Mr. W,

OBAMA: Under my plan of a cap and trade system, electricity rates would necessarily skyrocket.

Please tell me how this benefit our economy.

R
R
No one here is saying "everyone", Mimi.

What I'm trying to explain to you, which you seem somewhat in the dark about, is there are HOLES in our Welfare system. BIG glaring Welfare-wasn't-intended-for-this holes. And this is one of them that has been around FOR YEARS.

And no one here is asking you to solve them, Mimi. Just because someone isn't aware of something, doesn't mean it's not happening.

Here's what you wrote and WHY I responded:

Originally Posted by Mimi
The system has been devised....to keep this from occurring..you cannot get assistance without working a certain number of hours a week and/or going to school...

Not true, you can in MANY STATES.

Jo

M
M
Originally Posted by Marshmallow

They should be equally concerned with both the Republican and Democratic Platforms regarding reducing carbon emissions (though I'm guessing that WV historically goes Republican because they KNOW the Republicans make such "commitments" with a nod and a wink). I guess the coal industry RELIES on Republican lies. We have LOTS of coal and it will still be used, just not in new plants where alternative AMERICAN sources of energy are going to be promoted and used. Sources and technology CREATED, ENGINEERED and MANUFACTURED by OTHER industries (i.e. - JOBS). Unlike other manufacturing jobs that have been sent overseas...hopefully the democrats will encourage and promote effective incentives to keep these NEW jobs in America (unlike the Republicans).

Also, any idea how bankrupting people/companies “will also generate billions of dollars” so we can "invest in other alternative energy approaches"?

This is easy. No one will actually BE bankrupted because they won't utilize coal in the first place...which was his point.

Mr. Wondering

FBH(me)-51 FWW-49 (MrsWondering)
DD19 DS 22 Dday-2005-Recovered

"agree to disagree" = Used when one wants to reject the objective reality of the situation and hopefully replace it with their own.
W
W
Also, Mr. W,

OBAMA: Under my plan of a cap and trade system, electricity rates would necessarily skyrocket.

Please tell me how this benefit our economy.

I'll take a shot. If you don't mind providing context of where you found the quote.

Want2Stay

M
M
Oh...and Mimi, about 35 years ago, an article in Reader's Digest calculated the value of welfare benefits for a single mother of 2 in Mississippi. The value of all benefits (welfare check, Food Stamps, subsidized rent, Medicaid) was just barely over $15,000/yr.

I betcha the benefits are THE SAME..35 years later...

M
M
What I'm trying to explain to you, which you seem somewhat in the dark about, is there are HOLES in our Welfare system. BIG glaring Welfare-wasn't-intended-for-this holes. And this is one of them that has been around FOR YEARS.

And no one here is asking you to solve them, Mimi. Just because someone isn't aware of something, doesn't mean it's not happening.

I have not denied that there are HOLES in the WELFARE SYSTEM. There are also HOLES in other governmental systems as well.

I'm glad to know that you are not assuming that ALL are not being ABUSIVE and that it is NECESSARY for many.

What about TAX ADVANTAGES for the RICH?

What do have to say about that?

M
OP Offline
M
They should be equally concerned with both the Republican and Democratic Platforms regarding reducing carbon emissions

I doubt very much that folks will care much about carbon emissions if they can't put food on the table or pay their bills.

This is easy. No one will actually BE bankrupted because they won't utilize coal in the first place...which was his point.

OBAMA: "So if somebody wants to build a coal-powered plant, they can; it’s just that it will bankrupt them because they’re going to be charged a huge sum for all that greenhouse gas that’s being emitted.

That will also generate billions of dollars that we can invest in solar, wind, biodiesel and other alternative energy approaches."

Ok, how will nonexistent coal plants "generate billions of dollars"?

Page 5 of 14 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 14

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 653 guests, and 51 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation