Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
R
Revera Offline OP
OP Offline
R
When to Call It Quits - Part 2

Last week, I addressed one of the problems that unconditional love can create -- neglect. Many of those who believe that love should be unconditional in marriage feel justified in failing to meet their spouses' emotional needs. I described what spouses usually do when faced with neglect -- they end up having affairs or getting divorced. Those who stay married usually remain unfulfilled for the rest of their lives.

Then, I explained what spouses should do when they've been emotionally neglected. It begins with an effort to respectfully persuade a spouse to meet important emotional needs. But when that doesn't work, I recommend the very controversial step of separation until the most important emotional needs are met.

I help couples avoid calling it quits, not by teaching them how to endure disappointment and suffering, but by encouraging them to insist on having a mutually fulfilling marriage. My approach to the topic of neglect may seem radical to many, because they don't see marital neglect as a serious enough problem to warrant separation. But the alternative for many is to eventually call it quits when an earlier separation would have saved their marriage.

This week, however, my advice to separate will be easier to accept because it involves another serious problem that unconditional love can create -- abuse. In this case, you may feel that separation is too risky, that divorce should be the answer. But as you'll see, even in cases of physical abuse, I don't recommend throwing in the towel until an abusive spouse has been given plenty of opportunity to reform. Towel-throwing should take place only after reasonable efforts to reconcile have been exhausted.

As I mentioned last week, I've come to the conclusion that 80% of all divorces are caused by neglect -- important emotional needs are not being met. You'd think that abuse would be the major contributor, but it's not. In fact, physical abuse accounts for only about 2 1/2 percent of divorces. So while the wife who wrote last week about neglect appears to be in a reasonably safe and normal marriage, she's far more likely to call it quits than the writer of today's letter who is the victim of physical abuse.

Dear Dr. Harley,

I loved your article on unconditional love, and I completely agree with you. I am, however one of the stupid ones that has tried to love my husband unconditionally. I always seem to find some sort of hope, even when there shouldn't be any.

My husband is physically and emotionally abusive to me. He's more than twice my size with a very bad temper. During his temper tantrums he will sometimes rip off his shirt and hit himself in the head while I wonder if I'll be next.

Right now he is on a 1 month deployment to Afghanistan. The other night I told him that I missed him. He got mad at me and asked why. When I said that I couldn't wait for him to hold me again, he said that he wasn't in the "family mood" and he wouldn't be very approachable when he returned. I thought he needed to hear that I loved him unconditionally. It backfired.

I hope that you continue to write on this topic as I feel I am the prime subject for this kind of article. I do truly believe that loving unconditionally has been my greatest downfall.

Thanks for all the great insight you give. Sometimes your emails are the only thing that keeps me from feeling like I'm nothing, and I can see how things are supposed to be.

E.W.

Click here for answer

Revera01@aol.com
M
M
my husband has bever hit me but in the last couple of months since i have come out of my shell and finally found a voice for myself he has gotten very angry throwing things breaking things yes he scares me and he from wat i can see scares the kids he has hit me as such he has said some very hurtful things in the heat of the moment but i guess as many women in this situation feel that to leave would be an over reaction.
He once asked me do i take good care of you and not game to answer the quesiton honestly i instead asked him what do u think
his reply well you havent got any bruises on you so i muct be i could be one of these husbands that go to the pub come home drunk and belt you up.
So that means i should be happy right?
I dont know how its happened but i feel like i dont live i just exist as like an extra part of him he has made all the decisions, handles the money (his money so he should do wat he wants with it is his claim) my views have never been repected he has just always pushed wat he wants.
He says he wants to change and i can handle the money i might be paying the bills but he is still telling me wat to pay.
Can i move on from the emotional fear? I am really lost as to what to do.
Yes i am very dependant on him he aske me to leave the course i was doing when i met him that he could offer me better education then got me pregnant then took me 3500km away from my family and friends but not b4 convinceing me that they didnt care.
I do feel that he has set it up so i have no alternative and have to be dependant on him. I was to niave to see this to start with.
We have moved 8 times in 6years there a tangles web of lies i have no friends he seem threatned when i do and i am currently 2000km away from family.
The arguement i called my mother and asked her to come and get me he put the phone line out three times then eventually cut it he told me he was taking the kids then he told me he was kicking me out well knowing i had no where to go.
My mum heard bits and pieces of this arguement and shes basically begged me to try and talk reasonably with him cos she was helpless to help 2000km away. So i agreed to that as soon as i hung up the phone he said like as if ur mum would want u dont there theres no room and shes never shown an interest in your life before. She never rings to just say hi but she does and he says why did she ring for.
I feel i am being irrational hes not hitting me so it must be all in my head. he said he wouldnt take me back if i did. When i reach out for help he always has something to say about it.
I am afraid to try and give him a chance afraid i will be sucked back into what he wants. He says he want give me a reason to leave and will be honest but that leaves me feeling am i trusting him again because i am being niave again?
i live in remote qld australia i havent got a neighbour over the back fence i feel very alone and isolated.
My head is spinning i am trying to get advice i seen a profession counsellor i have stuff on here i have read HNHN i really am at a lost which way to jump.

Me 25years
H 45years
6years togther
3year married
3 boys 5, 4 and 3
Standing at the door of divorce but not sure if i am ready to knock
P
P
Call your parents.
Plead with them to help you escape an abusive situation.

M
M
If you got to pat a dog and every time it bites when do u decided enoughs enough and avoid the dog or get rid of it. If i person makes u feel like crap when do u decide enoughs enough. PPL say avoid the things that hurt u weather it be mentally, emotionally or physically what do u do when it yor family or the person u married. When do u realise that the words that sound so nice are just hollow words and no change is going to follow.
Whats enough time? when is it right to call it quits?
Dr phil says that if u are hurt if u leave ur still going to be a hurt person he also says to not make desicions when emotional but what if the situation u r in keeps hurting u and ur so deep in a rut thats its more like a well?
PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!

Me 25years
H 45years
6years togther
3year married
3 boys 5, 4 and 3
Standing at the door of divorce but not sure if i am ready to knock

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 407 guests, and 51 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation