Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 9 of 13 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 12 13
C
OP Offline
C
Nano,

I have read that article and my answers placed me solidly in the Buyer category. I believe in marriage and I believe in fidelity.

I understand what you are saying about my trolling & dipping. Let me say this: I reported that Immediately after the bookstore I felt full of myself. "Sweet Revenge?" Probably. But you know what I discovered after thinking about it after the IC session and talking it out on MB101? I absolutely did not like the fit of the infidelity suit. It isn't for me, Nano. And it isn't related to him. It's about me. No matter what relationship I am in - I (Chris) am not a cheater or a wayward.

I did not file for divorce. I did implement MB weeks ago and I have experienced real and positive changes to my marriage in that short time. It was truly amazing. I very much believed in MB - which is why I learned as much as I could and put it to work. I believed in it when I first read it because it made so much sense, but now I also believe it because of the real changes I have seen in my marriage.

That bookstore thing happened for me after I discovered that text message exchange and marinated in it.

That's a problem only you can solve through ruthless self-examination and determination to become a healthier person emotionally no matter what your H does.

That's why I am in IC. I have suffered massive amounts of emotional damage due to abuse in my marriage. That is very true. I am struggling to find myself again and to grow....but mostly to be honest with my feelings (even the "not so nice" ones) which I was used to mercilessly suppressing to avoid My H's anger and his AOs. It started to seep into other interactions. I found myself pretending that I wasn't angry, shocked, disgusted, impatient and pretending I was happy and gleeful so people wouldn't get angry with me for being angry. That was my choice. I should have placed boundaries for myself with his AOs and anger as well as other people's. I didn't, and I am working on getting to the point of doing that now.

What is it that you are telling me to do when you say "take responsibility"? Are you saying I should tell my Husband about the bookstore incident at this point.

I am not opposed to coming clean - I just want to do it at the right time. Is that OK? How does that work with my plan for snooping? Is my plan for snoping still valid?

I simply don't want to compound one act of stupidity / one mistake with even more stupidity and mistakes.

M
M
Originally Posted by ChrisInNOVA
I understand what you are saying about my trolling & dipping. Let me say this: I reported that Immediately after the bookstore I felt full of myself. "Sweet Revenge?" Probably.

I gotcha. You felt the infidelity suit didn't fit you. But most people would say the same thing. There aren't a lot of people who set out to have an A. I wish I had a nickel for every time it "just happened". But you started a process that leads to full-blown infidelity. You were looking to get needs met by someone other than your H. This is now a part of your history. It's a part of what you bring to your M. This affects your relationship with your H, whether he knows it or not.

People who are actively committed to their M don't take their ring off and hang out in bookstores, hoping to attract another person's attention.

D-Day 2-10-2009
Fully Recovered and Better Than Ever!
Thank you Marriage Builders!

C
OP Offline
C
Also, I don't mean to be disrespectful or combative with skepticism and defensiveness, and I appreciate everyone's patience.

As you all know, a marriage in crisis is a painful and confusing situation. There are a few different reactions to the situation and to some of the info here: shock, disbelief, "does this apply to me" syndrome, confusion, anger, sadness, despair, fear and more fear...

Please do not leave me alone with this. If you do, we will most probably end up in Divorce.

Now that we're all on the same page and I know that the forums don't typically cross, I need you to tell me what's what. PLEASE.

Do I still snoop?

When is the best time to come clean about the bookstore to H?

If you all are advising me to still snoop, I can continue to use the threads which links to "My Story" for help with doing MB and only report back here on the snooping results. Would that be OK?

Help!

C
OP Offline
C
Originally Posted by maritalbliss
I understand what you are saying about my trolling & dipping. Let me say this: I reported that Immediately after the bookstore I felt full of myself. "Sweet Revenge?" Probably.

I gotcha. You felt the infidelity suit didn't fit you. But most people would say the same thing. There aren't a lot of people who set out to have an A. I wish I had a nickel for every time it "just happened". But you started a process that leads to full-blown infidelity. You were looking to get needs met by someone other than your H. This is now a part of your history. It's a part of what you bring to your M. This affects your relationship with your H, whether he knows it or not.

People who are actively committed to their M don't take their ring off and hang out in bookstores, hoping to attract another person's attention.

M,

It seems to me that waywards continue their behavior and they continue to deny, lie, and justify (from what I have seen here), and I have personally observed and rebuffed many people who actively seek extramarital activity. (I work in Law Enforcement.)

I want my marriage. I have zero interest in continuing that behavior and I am willing to come clean. What else can you tell me or advise me at this point? I posed very specific questions...hopefully they are the right questions.

Help please!

I have been properly 2X4ed & I get it.

C
OP Offline
C
Very open to what the vets are advising at this point. Esp MelodyLane.

Please help me.

Thanks.

M
M
It seems to me that waywards continue their behavior and they continue to deny, lie, and justify (from what I have seen here), and I have personally observed and rebuffed many people who actively seek extramarital activity. (I work in Law Enforcement.)

I want my marriage. I have zero interest in continuing that behavior and I am willing to come clean. What else can you tell me or advise me at this point? I posed very specific questions...hopefully they are the right questions.

Help please!

I have been properly 2X4ed & I get it.

Okay, let's try to piece together your conflicted mindset.

Here are some quotes from your posts:

Mar. 29: I also keep wondering if there's someone else out there for me. Wondering if I am making a mistake by trying to save this marriage.

And

Mar. 30: I set up a separate email originally because I felt we were going to get a divorce and I started doing research online about the divorce process.

Then

Apr. 1: I did not file for divorce. I did implement MB weeks ago and I have experienced real and positive changes to my marriage in that short time. It was truly amazing. I very much believed in MB - which is why I learned as much as I could and put it to work. I believed in it when I first read it because it made so much sense, but now I also believe it because of the real changes I have seen in my marriage.

Apr. 1: I have read that article and my answers placed me solidly in the Buyer category. I believe in marriage and I believe in fidelity.

Then why are you entertaining thoughts about there being someone else out there for you, a married woman?

After getting on the MB bandwagon,

That bookstore thing happened for me after I discovered that text message exchange and marinated in it.

Apr. 1: It seems to me that waywards continue their behavior and they continue to deny, lie, and justify (from what I have seen here),

And then

Mar. 31: I confessed - I let the folks on the MB101 side know. They set me straigt immediately. But as I live and breathe I am not saying a dmaned thing to my H about it. It was a stupid meaningless lashing out type of thing.

So you're lying by omission, since you only 'confessed' to anonymous posters on a forum and not your H, denying IB, and justifying your actions by blaming your Taker. See what I'm saying?

I'm seeing a lot of evasive, LB behavior between you and your H. Can you do counselling with Steve?

Last edited by maritalbliss; 04/01/10 10:43 AM.

D-Day 2-10-2009

C
OP Offline
C
Yes I do see what you're saying.

Moving forward - Do you have any advice?

Thanks

M
M
Chris, just take a breath. No one is going to just leave you alone. There are alot of people here and I'd say 99.9% want to help. So don't panic.

The advice for snooping will not change. You still need to find out the truth about your life. You are still trying to save your M. So plan A is still in order. Part of plan A is improving you. Taking responsibility for your 50% of your M. Implementing ALL of the MB principles will work to improve your M as you have already seen. So being open and honest goes for you too. It applies to your actions and your feelings. It would be best to explain to your H what happened and why. It was your decision to do it and you cannot place blame on him for that decision. That's what "taking responsibility" means. You own it.

Most have found that the longer a secret is kept the worse the consequences. We learn this as children and it applies to us as well. Find the time or make the time to tell him.

If you have two threads going it's just hard for us to know EXACTLY what's going on in your life. Small details are important. Most people are not going to go back and forth trying to find out what's going on so depending on what's the most important situation, you might want to pause posting on one of them. It's just easier for everyone.

So keep breathing. Don't panic. I suspect Mel will be back soon toting her pistolas. Keep snooping.

BW(me)
DDay EA 4/05
DDay PA 6/05
In recovery
S
S
You seem desperate for more posts. There are a couple of things that you can do in the meantime.

You can read through all the articles on the site...more than once even. I would start with the Policy of Radical Honesty.

There is A LOT of Plan A info to read. I hardly posted when I first got here. I read read read Plan A info and other people's threads, made notes, bookmarked others' posts. There is the Notable Posts forum which has a lot of great stuff.

You can also re-read your own threads. I re-read what people posted to me many times before some of the things sunk in. One piece of advice that you have ignored that I think would be helpful for you to re-think is your decision to skip on the keylogger for now.

Last edited by SusieQ; 04/01/10 11:15 AM.

Ddays 2007 and 2011
Plan B 6/21/11
Divorced July 2012
2 kids
How to Plan B Correctly
Parallel Parenting in Plan B
M
M
Yes I do see what you're saying.

Moving forward - Do you have any advice?

Thanks

Let's tackle the possible A: you need to snoop. That's it in a nutshell. If you don't snoop, you'll find nothing, and that leaves you indefinitely in a state of limbo. And I don't mean wimpy, panty-waisted snooping, either. I mean SNOOP. SIMS card, keylogger, go through his car, follow him, root through his sock drawer, his dresser, his mail, his pockets - there's a Snooping 101 thread that I think someone already posted to you. Read. Implement.

What you do after that depends on what you find.

D-Day 2-10-2009

F
F
What maritalbliss said.

Preach the Gospel every day. When necessary, use words.
St. Francis of Assissi
S
S
Chris- We are here. We are reading. We will help you. You will also need to help us help you. Read, Plan A and snoop. That's the plan for now. Got it? laugh

Last edited by Scotland; 04/01/10 11:51 AM.

BW(Me)aka Scotty:37
DSx2: 10,12
DDAY2(PA)Nov27/09
Plan B Dec18/09
Personal R in works
Scotty's THING laugh
Newly Betrayed click here

Praying for walls and doors. Thanx MM

“Surviving is important. Thriving is elegant.”
? Maya Angelou

PROGRESS NOT PERFECTION

THANK YOU
C
OP Offline
C
Michael,

With regard to what you said about O & H:

I believe you are saying O & H applies to me and to him and if I'm doing MB I need to be O & H with my husband, so I am thinking you are telling me I need to fess up about the bookstore thing. Pls confirm.

My question is why doesn't O & H apply to our snooping activities? (I'm sure this question has been asked before. If so, pls link me to the thread with the answer.)

Thanks a million.

M
M
Originally Posted by SusieQ
You can read through all the articles on the site...more than once even. I would start with the Policy of Radical Honesty.

There is A LOT of Plan A info to read. I hardly posted when I first got here. I read read read Plan A info and other people's threads, made notes, bookmarked others' posts. There is the Notable Posts forum which has a lot of great stuff.

You can also re-read your own threads. I re-read what people posted to me many times before some of the things sunk in.

Ditto.

It has really helped me to reread advice given on my thread many times.

This is not just an oral discussion that you hear once with no record. If anything, it's a class where you take notes.

Review your notes. smile

If you are serious about saving your marriage, you can't get it all on this forum. You've got to listen to the Marriage Builders Radio show, every day. Install the app!

Married to my radiant trophy wife, Prisca, 19 years. Father of 8.
Attended Marriage Builders weekend in May 2010

If your wife is not on board with MB, some of my posts to other men might help you.
C
OP Offline
C
Originally Posted by SusieQ
You seem desperate for more posts.

No. I am not desperate for more posts.

I would like to know where I go from here. I was upset at being accused of hiding the bookstore thing. I wasn't hiding it, I felt that this topic was separate and that people could see it @ MB101 anyway - and some people did. I was not hiding anything.

I was (am) also upset to think that my husband knew I was snooping before I admitted it. I have no confidence in my snooping abilities and I just don't know what I should do about that. It seems that I can't even do a basic manual cell phone snoop without being found out.

You can also re-read your own threads. I re-read what people posted to me many times before some of the things sunk in. One piece of advice that you have ignored that I think would be helpful for you to re-think is your decision to skip on the keylogger for now.

Already there.

I recall when I first got to the forum I was not open to quite a few things which were said to me. I have gone back and re-read them and many things sunk in...particularly the stuff about taking responsibility for my part in the marriage and not focusing so much on what he does becasue I can't control that. I can control me and what I do and how I respond. That's the key to cleaning up m,y side of the street and changing the dance of my marriage by changing my steps in the dance.

S
S
My question is why doesn't O & H apply to our snooping activities? (I'm sure this question has been asked before. If so, pls link me to the thread with the answer.)

It has been asked and there are links on here from what Dr H has answered similar questions. I am going to do some digging and find what I can. Please be patient.

So what LBs have you been working on today? What Plan A thing are you going to do today? What are your WH's top 5 ENs? These are MB things that you can work on in the meantime. laugh

DDAY2(PA)Nov27/09
Plan B Dec18/09
Personal R in works
Scotty's THING laugh

? Maya Angelou

PROGRESS NOT PERFECTION

THANK YOU
M
M

There is a great thread about this somewhere; if noone posts it, please keep asking until they do. If still noone posts it, ask MelodyLane directly.

If you are serious about saving your marriage, you can't get it all on this forum. You've got to listen to the Marriage Builders Radio show, every day. Install the app!

Married to my radiant trophy wife, Prisca, 19 years. Father of 8.
Attended Marriage Builders weekend in May 2010

If your wife is not on board with MB, some of my posts to other men might help you.
S
S
t/j
Originally Posted by markos

There is a great thread about this somewhere; if noone posts it, please keep asking until they do. If still noone posts it, ask MelodyLane directly.

I could have used the MelodyLane line too. She is BatGirl(hehehehe) but we can't always ask her. HEHEHEHE t/j over

Last edited by Scotland; 04/01/10 12:24 PM. Reason: stupid word used :D

DDAY2(PA)Nov27/09
Plan B Dec18/09
Personal R in works
Scotty's THING laugh

? Maya Angelou

PROGRESS NOT PERFECTION

THANK YOU
C
OP Offline
C
Originally Posted by Scotland
So what LBs have you been working on today? What Plan A thing are you going to do today? What are your WH's top 5 ENs? These are MB things that you can work on in the meantime. laugh

Thanks for asking Scot.

I have not seen my H very much today. He went to work and I stayed in town for some appointments. I am in between appointments at the moment.

I have not had my H do the EN Quiz yet. I would like to ask him to take the quiz...perhaps I could wait a few days for things to calm down a bit, print it out & then ask him. Since I have started to do MB, whenever I see any opportunity to any EN, I take it. The bolded items appear to be high on his list:

Affection
Sexual Fulfillment
Conversation
Recreational Companionship
Honesty and Openness
Physical Attractiveness
Financial Support
Domestic Support
Family Commitment
Admiration

The LBs I work on each day are:
Selfish Demands
Disrespectful Judgments
Dishonesty

As you know I recently had a go-round with the last one and still have something to rectify on that front.

F
F
Michael,

With regard to what you said about O & H:

I believe you are saying O & H applies to me and to him and if I'm doing MB I need to be O & H with my husband, so I am thinking you are telling me I need to fess up about the bookstore thing. Pls confirm.

Thanks a million.
This may not completely answer your question, Chris, but it's in this article

One of the most common smoke-screens used by unfaithful spouses is to express shock that their spouse would be so distrusting as to ask questions about their secret second life. They try to make it seem as if such questions are an affront to their dignity, and a sign of incredible disrespect. They figure that the best defense is a good offense, and so they try to make their spouses feel guilty about asking too many questions.

I am a firm believer in letting each spouse do as much snooping around as they want. Nothing should be kept secret in marriage, and no questions should be left unanswered. If a spouse objects to such scrutiny, what might he or she be hiding?

Another type of clue is records of communication such as telephone records, letters and e-mail. Most affairs depend on repeated contacts and evidence of those contacts can usually be found. That's how M.S. discovered her husband's affair. When his lover was living in the same city, he was able to hide his affair, but after he moved, it became almost impossible for him to keep his communication a secret. He was addicted to daily contact, and M.S. saw evidence of it almost immediately after the move. But how many people move away from a lover? It's very rare, and if M.S.'s family had not moved, she may never have discovered the affair because she trusted her husband.

When a couple spend their leisure-time away from each other, it is not only a breeding ground for an affair, but it can also be another clue to an affair. That's especially true when a spouse doesn't want the other to be present at their favorite activity. I counseled a man who went fishing every summer for a week with his friends, wives not invited. But they did invite a secretary from work who cooked their meals (and had sex with them all) during the trip.

Anything that takes one spouse away from the other overnight is an invitation for an affair. But when an opposite-sex co-worker tends to join a spouse on business trips, red flags should be flying in all directions. Any evidence that this relationship is anything more than pure business is, from my perspective, a gigantic clue that an affair might be in progress. That's also the case if a spouse and opposite-sex co-worker spend a great deal of time working together.

We are all wired to have an affair. We can all fall in love with someone of the opposite sex if that person meets one of our emotional needs. If you don't think it can happen to you because of your conviction or will-power, you are particularly vulnerable to an affair. And if you think your spouse would never have an affair, you are also vulnerable.

Look what happened to poor Kathy Lee Gifford. She stated publicly and wrote in one of her books that she trusted her husband completely, that he would never cheat on her. But she should not have trusted her husband. If she would have taken the steps she is now taking to help him avoid another affair, the first would never have taken place, and she would have avoided all its pain and embarrassment. I don't trust my wife completely and she doesn't trust me, and that's why neither of us have ever had an affair. Lack of trust does not make spouses paranoid and miserable, it makes their marriages safe.

Preach the Gospel every day. When necessary, use words.
St. Francis of Assissi
Page 9 of 13 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 12 13

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
1 members (bb1471), 660 guests, and 59 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation