Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
D
OP Offline
D
Thanks Rosy.

I'm going to wait and watch as you suggested. Just trying to figure out if this is something that will pass on his part or is now a permanent part of the way he is. He did not cheat on his two wives, and there are none of the other signs that he is cheating.

F
F
Originally Posted by DarkSands
He did not cheat on his two wives
And you know this how?

What happened to cause his two previous marriages to fail?

Preach the Gospel every day. When necessary, use words.
St. Francis of Assissi
S
S
I don't know why he would be doing this if he is totally committed to you. It makes no sense. My only thought is that maybe it's his MO.

You met on the Internet. Who initated your first contact? Did you wink or flirt w/him first, or was it the other way around?

Sorry I can't be more helpful. Be wary of anyone who lies to you.

A
A
he still has his profile on a bunch of singles sites, his profile says that he's single and looking for a relationship and I know that he responds to "flirts", "winks", etc.

Well, IMO, he is no position to be house hunting with you.

AGG

M
M
We met on a singles site, relationship has progressed to the point of saying "I love you" and he wants to go house hunting. Yet he still has his profile on a bunch of singles sites, his profile says that he's single and looking for a relationship and I know that he responds to "flirts", "winks", etc. He says it's polite to respond to someone. I don't think he actually meets any of these people in person because he usually tells me where he is or where he's going. Should I be worried? Why does he do this?

I wouldn't be entering into a financial agreement with someone with whom I had no committment whatsoever. There is no committment here whatsoever. Nor would I ever, ever live with a guy unless he married me. That will RUIN the relationship because it sets up a renters mentality that will eventually destroy the marriage if it ever gets to that point. Renting is a month to month agreement, where he is free to move onto something better if his fancy so dictates.

Investing in a house in such a situation would be like offering to pay for new expensive tires on a car you don't own. You have no reason to believe you will even have the car next week. If he shacks up with you he is free to move on if something better comes along next week.

As far as him keeping his profile on a singles site; well, he IS single. And will continue to be single even if you do move in with him.

If you think this guy is marriage material, I would make him prove it. Raise the bar. Tell him you are not a rental unit and if he wants to be with you, he can buy the house. Set your price and make him pay it. If he wont' pay it, then you will know it wasn't meant to be. But if you come for FREE he will treat you as free goods. If he won't buy the house, then you will know he doesn't have a very high regard for you anyway, and should move on.

If he won't propose marriage, then you can move on and not waste anymore of your time. As my momma always told me, don't put out for free! grin

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

M
M
It is also my opinion that there is nothing wrong with living with someone BEFORE marriage.

You must be kidding? Have you ever read the statistics on living together before marriage? They have an 85% DIVORCE RATE. 85% get divorced in under 5 years. That is because shacking up sets up a renters mentality that does not go away when married. Shacking up is a month to month renters agreement based on a TEST to see how well the other person does and if one person fails, the test is over. Living together before marriage is a DISASTER to relationships.

Dr Harley has written extensively about this in his book Buyers, Renters and Freeloaders in the chapter about the "curse of living together before marriage." I would check this out before you immerse yourself into such a bad situation. Here is one of his articles about it: Living Together Before Marriage

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

M
M
Is there some reason why he won't marry you?

Exposure 101

M
M
Not at all. I appreciate your input, gives me a more balanced view. Everyone has their own opinion about marriage - I respect yours, please respect mine.

I am more interested in why he does this...need to know from a male viewpoint.

Because he is SINGLE and that is what single people do. He is not in a committed relationship so he is keeping his options open. Honestly, Madam, you are old enough to know better.

Exposure 101

F
F
DarkSands, you now have more than TWO DOZEN replies to your question. Many of them (like mine) from guys -- as you requested.

Not a single one has given you the thumbs up on this relationship.

Why do you think that is?

St. Francis of Assissi
D
OP Offline
D
Fred, his first wife drank and left him. He raised his son six he was six (he is now 21). His second wife died. Can't quite call that a failure.

D
OP Offline
D
Thanks for your response Starving.
Actually, he initiated the first contact with me.

F
F
I can understand why you might want to defend your boyfriend. It's a natural tendency. But you don't seem to be heeding the feedback you're getting.

If you don't want to hear what we are saying, why are you here?

St. Francis of Assissi
D
OP Offline
D
Fred, I am reading what people write and evaluating the input. If I did not want to hear what you are saying then I would not be here.

Do I have to heed the feedback and dump my boyfriend immediately because y'all think I should? No. I will weigh the feedback and make my own decisions, thanks.

That does not mean that I don't appreciate what people post.

A
A
Do I have to heed the feedback and dump my boyfriend immediately because y'all think I should?

I don't think that Fred was asking you to take the advice and run with it "no questions asked", I think he was wondering if you had any feedback on our feedback smile. IOW, what do you think about the feedback you got so far? Is it off the mark? Does it mostly make sense? Stuff like that...

AGG

K
K

he only responded when someone "winked" at him, he did not initiate any contact.
Well I am assured then, because that means he would only have an affair with someone who initiated contact with him, that's okay then.

Enacting life's lessons into positive change... .
D
OP Offline
D
You know, I understand that some of you are going through some really painful times (I have been where you are at before)...but comments like the one from Kay are totally uncalled for.

How nasty can you be to someone who comes and asks for help? What have I EVER done to you, Kay?

G
G
DS, K wasn't being nasty. She was following the scenario to its logical conclusion. His rationale of "I only chat with women who iniate contact" is ludicrous. It smacks of the cliche "Honey, what was I supposed to do? She threw herself at me!"

Here's the big question... what do you consider being unfaithful? Where is YOUR boundary? Is it okay for your BF to leave himself as available and talk to women who think he's in the market? What about if he's a live-in boyfriend? If it's okay for him to IM or email a woman who thinks he's looking for a girlfriend, is it okay for him to talk on the phone? What about meet in person? Does it matter if the woman invites him versus him inviting her? These are only things you can decide.

Divorced.
2 Girls
Remarried 10/11/08
Widowed 11/5/08
Remarrying 12/17/15
C
C
Yup, sometimes it's hard to understand print-only conversation.

If the boyfriend is 'only chatting' with women who initiate it, he is making himself vulnerable. He is not honoring his relationship with you.

You know, HONOR!!! That word is usually in marriage vows. Love and honor your beloved. Forsake all others for your beloved.

Rationalization and blowing smoke your way is what he's doing. You could probably expect his behavior prior to your marriage to be a predictor of his behavior after marriage.

In the words of Bruce Cockburn....Canadian singer/songwriter, "The trouble with normal is it always gets worse."

F
F
Originally Posted by cinderella
In the words of Bruce Cockburn....Canadian singer/songwriter, "The trouble with normal is it always gets worse."
The same Bruce Cockburn who wrote "If I had a rocket launcher... some son-of-a-b*tch would DIE!"

St. Francis of Assissi
C
C
(tj)Yes! He's kinda awesome! But not as awesome as Leonard Cohen.(/tj)

back to business....sorry 'bout that. Just don't find many people who know bruce's music

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 700 guests, and 55 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation