Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 24 of 68 1 2 22 23 24 25 26 67 68
S
OP Offline
S
MC session today was a little rougher than expected. Wife said she wanted me to get the chance to start sharing the pain from the A. But we never got there.

We talked about Familylife Weekend to Remember weekend retreat and at some point I started to get this uneasy feeling that wife was saying, "I knew all that, I was the kind of ideal wife they described, I can't believe a thousand people here find it a revelation to see what I already knew."

"I did all of that for 10+ years and see what I got?" (She did say it almost exactly like that)

I bristled at the righteousness as I perceived it. So I stopped listening. I got stuck. She also said, "I like the new Stretch 2.0. He has done a lot. I need to let him in and accept that its real... so I can allow myself to go back to being the kind of wife I was for the first ten years."

Well, clearly I wasn't listening well because the MC really laid into me and spent a good 20 minutes working on me for not hearing what she was saying. She clearly admired and complimented me there.

Look, I have the opinion that 90% of the M problems were my fault. I really do. I really own that guys. I was every stereotype of clueless, neglectful husband. Also, I can't remember ever complaining about or putting words to any specific LB behavior of hers. The only things I complained about were stupid -- like housework or arguing about kids or not getting enough SF (boo hoo big dumb man baby). But now I am just learning to identify what it is that perhaps she could do (could have done 10+ years ago) differently. I didn't posses the awareness to identify and put that sort of thing into words before. So she has nothing to go on. Its up to me to uncover LB's.

I just bristled at my perception / my assumption (to be fair-- totally me putting the idea into her head based on her sentances after the retreat) that somehow she was smarter than most women at the conference... that she gets everything they said... that she still feels like she has little work to do on herself and tons of work to do on me.

Well, I know its wrong of me to be consumed by and worried about her work on her. I need to just focus on being a better me. Set my goals and let her work through hers.

I can't help thinking, if my wife (like many wifes) spent so many years observing me and trying to help me be a better person, couldn't I (the formerly clueless husband) have some valuable insight into knowing her intimately and helping her become a better person too?

She says, "I never claimed to be perfect. I am sure I made mistakes in M contributing to unhappiness." I guess that with work I may be able to lovingly figure some of those out. (And that doesn't include the many, many mistakes made during the past 2 years during her A. Those mistakes are more clear, obviously.) But once we get past that (soon I hope... really soon) will I be able to lovingly help her become wife 2.0 version and examing and grow in ways only her life partner can know?

Me: 43
ExWW: 44
Married 16yrs. 4 children

EA (ExWW): May-Nov 2009 + Aug-Dec 2010
D-DAY JAN 30, 2011
Exposure: FEB 7, 2011
Contact Again: Apr 25, 2011
Divorce Final Sept 2012

"I want to be married and stay married. Now I uunderstand the kind of marriage I want and we all deserve. But I also know it takes two to want to Build that Marriage."
N
N
Ahh, stretch. You pretty much described the last counseling session (and conversation) my wife and I had last Thursday. I actually started arguing with the counselor and had to calm down quite a bit.

Look, your wife knows she bears responsibility for the affair. She sounds like she just cannot open up with you--maybe thinking you'd start raising hell or getting defensive like you did in counseling? How long has that been going on--a few years?

Do you feel the same way about talking with her? Your defensive reaction makes it seem that way. Not to say that you're wrong to get defensive, hey, I don't blame you. Just saying what didn't work before won't work now and it's kind of tough to lower that defensive wall that's been in place for so long now.

So your wife started with a compliment, told you what the problem was and what she thought she should do to rectify the situation:

"I like the new Stretch 2.0. He has done a lot. I need to let him in and accept that its real... so I can allow myself to go back to being the kind of wife I was for the first ten years."

and then, understandably, you got defensive and shut down. My wife said the exact same thing, almost word for word, and I had the exact same reaction as you did. All I heard was someone putting the blame of the entire situation completely on me without accepting any of the blame themselves.

But is that what she *really* said? From reading your quote (and IMO) she said she didn't feel safe enough to trust you with her feelings, that you wouldn't accept her right to have feelings or to be upset, that you wouldn't invalidate her thoughts, that you had no ulterior motive and wouldn't hurt her via a DJ or AO.

So it sounds like you (like I did) got your wife to drop the defenses and actually talk about what her issue and then you did the exact thing that caused her to have the issue to begin with. But, it sounds like you became aware of what happened, admitted what you were doing and she saw and complimented you on that? Good!

Keep "not-reacting" like that, and she'll start trusting you again and then you'll probably start trusting her with your feelings as well. Next time, try doing the exact opposite of what your old emotions tell you to do. If it helps, and when you think you might say the wrong thing, just shut up and keep quiet even though every fiber in your being is screaming to get your point across. And, if you're like me, ditch any negative facial expressions or rolling of the eyes. Your wife is probably equally convinced that she is right and that you are wrong.

Your turn to talk will come so take the initiative and try doing something different instead. Try to see the complaint from her point of view and ask yourself if you'd say or think the same thing if you were in her shoes. A little empathy goes a long way in making you feel like an idiot for causing your wife to not feel safe talking to you. Of course, I'm talking about all the things that led to the conditions suitable for an affair, those things that you own--not the affair itself. Big difference in ownership there.

Of course, this empathy and listening is a two-way street but she's not here so you may as well go first. She'll probably "catch up" once she sees that you can listen out of genuine care and concern.

Is Stretch v.2.1 coming out soon? smile

Me (BH)
FWW
Married 2000, DS 8, DD 6, DD 2

N
N
Stretch,

Saw this quote posted on another thread.

http://forum.marriagebuilders.com/ubbt/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2489643#Post2489643

Complaining in Marriage

Dear Dr. Harley,

My wife says that she wishes she could talk to me about the things
she is dissatisfied with in our marriage, so they could be addressed.
But when she does talk to me about these things, I get frustrated
because it seems like she is never happy with me. The progress I
make doesn't seem to matter.

I often see her explaining what she is upset about as complaining and
only focusing on the negative. I don't often feel like she has
recognized the good things about us. I want her to be more positive.
I think she complains too much and does not see the good in some
situations. I want her perspective to change, but she doesn't think
she has to do something different to make this happen.

Thanks for your help.

R.D.

- - - - - - - - - - - -

Dear R.D.

On average, women complain far more often than men, in both good and
bad marriages. But there is a difference in how the complaints are
received in those marriages. In good marriages, a complaint is
regarded as a problem to be solved with wisdom and compassion. In
bad marriages, a complaint is viewed as an unnecessary irritant --
something that should be either ignored or reacted to with anger and
disrespect.

Remember what a complaint is -- it's a reminder that you are losing
love units in your account in your wife's Love Bank. She is simply
giving you accurate information about the present state of your
relationship. While it may be discouraging to hear that you are
losing ground, to be kept in the dark about such losses would be
worse in the long run.

More than anything else, your wife wants to be in love with you, and
you want her to be in love with you. So to achieve that crucial
objective you must know when her love for you is being threatened by
behavior that makes her unhappy. If your marriage has any hope of
recovery, she must tell you how she feels about your behavior, and
you must make corrections to eliminate her negative reactions.

Your wife's high incidence of negative reactions simply reflects the
number of issues that have yet to be resolved in your marriage. If
you want her to be more positive, you must address those issues, and
eliminate them one at a time. You've had success in the past, and
she has been very encouraged when that happens. But when you seem
to be overwhelmed by it all, and tell her that she must learn to be
more positive, she feels hopeless because there remain many issues
that must be resolved if she is to be happy and in love with you.

The harder you try to become sensitive to your wife reactions, the
more successful you will become in doing what it takes to make her
happy. The more you try to avoid anger, replacing it with empathy
(an effort to try to understand how your wife feels without being
defensive), the more your wife will feel your care for her, and
that in itself will make massive Love Bank deposits.

Remember, all of your efforts on your wife's behalf make a
difference in the way you think and behave. You are rerouting
neural pathways in your brain that will make it easier for you to
care for her in the future. While it may seem like a lot of
effort now, in the future, it will be almost effortless to address
your wife's complaints, and solve her problems with compassion.

Best wishes,

Willard F. Harley, Jr.

Me (BH)
FWW

N
N
Originally Posted by stretch123
The only things I complained about were stupid -- like housework or arguing about kids or not getting enough SF (boo hoo big dumb man baby). But now I am just learning to identify what it is that perhaps she could do (could have done 10+ years ago) differently. I didn't posses the awareness to identify and put that sort of thing into words before. So she has nothing to go on. Its up to me to uncover LB's.

Yeah, don't sell yourself short. If something bothers you, then it's valid.

She says, "I never claimed to be perfect. I am sure I made mistakes in M contributing to unhappiness." I guess that with work I may be able to lovingly figure some of those out.

What about the "stupid" things you listed above? For me, it was those annoying things that kept piling up over the years that made me fall out of love with my wife. Now, the affair didn't help, but otherwise there wasn't one single instance that I could point to...just a lot of little things. Letting her car become a complete mess, leaving her shoes all over the floor, calling me OCD when I let a sink-full of dishes bother me, leaving the financials all to me to handle--all seemingly trivial things that start to bother you after a while.

And it kind of makes sense that, save the affair, a BS would have a harder time finding fault in the WS. I would guess that our $LB wasn't as low as the WS's was (we didn't have an affair, after all) so there are fewer things to complain about. Maybe?

(And that doesn't include the many, many mistakes made during the past 2 years during her A. Those mistakes are more clear, obviously.) But once we get past that (soon I hope... really soon) will I be able to lovingly help her become wife 2.0 version and examing and grow in ways only her life partner can know?

Yes, and she'll help you. Once y'all both feel safe sharing your concerns with each other, you'll likely find each other willing to address whatever shortcomings there are without immediately getting defensive or resenting each other. Keep working on those LB's on your side of the street.

You have the Love Busters book, right? The SD, DJ and AO chapters are worth going over again if it's been a while. Doing so together would be even better...without doing a DJ trying to get her to read smile "Hey, the counseling session showed me how I can react negatively when you try to share something with me and it really bothered me. It reminds me of that book, would you mind reading some of it over with me--it might help me get some better perspective in how the things I do affect you."

Me (BH)
FWW

S
S
What your wife did all those years was sacrifice and, NO, it isn't right. I know of what she speaks.

After my affair, my husband was upset because it seemed liked he was making all the changes, and, quite honestly, he was.

Don't get me wrong, I have a lot to work on but most of it is inside myself. I was lying to myself and others to make myself look good and protect their feelings. I was non confrontational and such a martyre.

However, on the outside, I was doing it all right (until the time I betrayed my BH and my family). What I mean is, I was there for the meals, the homework, the activities. I went to church and paid the bills and did the grocery shopping and the laundry. I even made and froze meals and arranged activites for the kids the weekend I "went shopping."

So, on the outside, there isn't much for me to change. My BH has had to give up a lot and participate in things he never did before. I also think the hardest part is me requesting things of him that I never did before. It seems awkward and wrong in so many ways. Here I did this awful thing and now I'm telling him he can't go out with his buddies 3 nights a week....WHAT!

The fact is, it is difficult for him to deal with this new wife especially given what I did. I am trying to be fair and still let him know what I need. I haven't mastered it yet. Sometime I'm sure I come across sounding selfish. I don't want to be, but I need to let him know so we can work on it TOGETHER.

I realize now, I wasn't the perfect wife....self sacrifice is wrong and your taker will take over somehow, someway. I was not giving my husband credit for being able to handle the hard stuff. He didn't deal with any bad stuff but he also received no reward for the hard work. I took that from him.

I didn't have an affair because of what he did or didn't do. I had an affair because I had poor boundaries. I got my needs met elsewhere rather than "rock the boat" with him. The thing is, that wasn't my decision to make. I took that away from him.

Now you will have a new marriage. I know it is hard. There should be some compensation for what she did....maybe you should get a free pass on something BUT...that isn't how it works. You need to do the right thing because it is the right thing....it will never be fair or just or even. It just is.

So sorry for what you are going through and knowing that I did that to my BH and other men like him and you.

H
H
It's often stated that, for men, SF is often the last thing to go, and the first thing to get noticed when it's not being met.

So, if you were to really think about it, you could probably name some other needs that were not being met other than SF, and a lot of them are common needs to be dismissed in marriage.

If you have the need for admiration, you may have fallen in love with your spouse partly because of his or her compliments to you. Some people just love to be told that they are appreciated. Your spouse may also have been careful not to criticize you because criticism may hurt you deeply if you have this need.

Many of us have a deep desire to be respected, valued and appreciated by our spouse. We need to be affirmed clearly and often. There's nothing wrong with feeling that
way. Even God wants us to appreciate Him.

Admiration is one of the easiest needs to meet. Just a word of appreciation, and presto, you've made someone's day. On the other hand, it's also easy to be critical. A trivial word of rebuke can set some people on their heels, ruining their day and withdrawing love units at an alarming rate.

Reflect on that. Did you feel admired? I can tell you that I most often did not, because FWW compared what I was doing to others, and it felt belittling, rather than appreciative (and THAT is a DJ behavior on her part).

Secondly, you both obviously had not met each others' need for Openness and Honesty;

Most of us want an honest relationship with our spouse. But some people have a need for honesty and openness -- it gives them a sense of security and helps them become emotionally bonded to the one who meets that need.

Those with a need for honesty and openness want accurate information about their spouses' thoughts, feelings, habits, likes, dislikes, personal history, daily activities and plans for the future. If their spouse
does not provide honest and open communication, trust is undermined and the feelings of security can eventually be destroyed. They cannot trust the signals that are being sent and feel they have no foundation on which to build a solid relationship. Instead of adjusting, they feel off balance; instead of growing together, they feel as if they are growing apart.

Honesty and openness helps build compatibility in marriage. When you and your spouse openly reveal the facts of your past, your present activities, and your plans for the future, you are able to make intelligent decisions that take each other's feelings into account. And that's how you create compatibility -- by making decisions that work well for both of you simultaneously.

Now, you beat yourself up for "complaining about not enough SF," but the fact of the matter is, that when you go a period of time without your needs being met in the way that you like them met, that you will enter the state of conflict;

As long as a husband and wife are happy, the state of intimacy hums right along. But no one is happy all the time, especially when making sacrifices to make someone else happy. And when unhappiness is experienced by either spouse, the slumbering Taker is immediately alerted to the pain.

"What's going on? Who's upsetting you?" the slumbering Taker wants to know.

It can be a temporary lapse if your spouse is still in a giving mood and apologizes for the error (whether or not it's his or her fault). Your spouse may promise to be more thoughtful in the future or make a greater effort to meet an unmet need. The Taker is satisfied that all is well, and goes back to sleep, leaving the Giver in charge, and keeping you in the state of intimacy.

But what happens if there are no apologies? What if the damage is not repaired quickly? What if one spouse continues to be thoughtless or unwilling to meet an emotional need?

When that occurs, the Taker, mindful of all your sacrifices in the state of Intimacy, comes to your defense.

And when conflict doesn't work? When your needs continue to not be met? Withdrawal;

Reason would dictate that demands, disrespect and anger are not the way to resolve conflicts in marriage. But with the Giver and Taker as the only instinctive alternatives, reason doesn't play much of a role in marital problem-solving. Instead, mood is almost everything, and after a fight, most couples do not feel much like going back to the rule of the Giver.

So they leave the Taker in charge, and the Taker adopts a new approach. In the state of Conflict it's strategy is fight. But in the state of Withdrawal, it's strategy is flight.

When you're in the state of Conflict, your Taker tries to force your spouse to meet your needs, making demands, showing disrespect, and threatening your spouse with angry outbursts to get its way. But if that doesn't work--if your spouse does not meet your needs--your Taker suggests a new approach to the problem: Withdrawal. It tries to convince you that your spouse is not worth the effort, and you should engage in emotional divorce.

In the state of Withdrawal, spouses no longer feel emotionally bonded or in love, and emotional defenses are raised. Neither one wants to try to meet the other's needs, and both have given up on attempts to get their own needs met by the other. One becomes two. They are completely independent, united only in living arrangements, finances and childrearing, although they often have to keep up appearances for neighbors and friends.

Were you neglectful for 10+ years, or is that residual fog and justification enabled by a MC who... doesn't know a good marriage from their own rectal cavity?

Seriously? This MC is going to sit here and say "Well, Stretch, if you were more attentive, she wouldn't have cheated!"

No, if you were both more honest, and had known and communicated your needs, then it would have been less likely, but her lack of boundaries with men lead her to cheat.

"An expert is a person who has made all the mistakes that can be made in a very narrow field." - Niels Bohr

"Smart people believe weird things because they are skilled at defending beliefs they arrived at for non-smart reasons." - Michael Shermer

"Fair speech may hide a foul heart." - Samwise Gamgee LOTR
S
OP Offline
S
I continue to be really impressed by some of the great advice on this forum. There are people in our surroundings (some of my wife's friends) that think this site is wierd or filled with crazies. But their opinion is based no actual experience with the site or observing the forum or reading the articles. Hard to validate someone's opinion when they have not even made an effort to check it out. Feel sad and sorry for that type of self imposed ignorance.

"I hate the way that tastes."
"Have you ever tried it"
"No.... but I hate it the way it tastes."

Originally Posted by Northwood8900
Not to say that you're wrong to get defensive, hey, I don't blame you. Just saying what didn't work before won't work now and it's kind of tough to lower that defensive wall that's been in place for so long now.

My wife said the exact same thing, almost word for word, and I had the exact same reaction as you did. All I heard was someone putting the blame of the entire situation completely on me without accepting any of the blame themselves.

So it sounds like you (like I did) got your wife to drop the defenses and actually talk about what her issue and then you did the exact thing that caused her to have the issue to begin with. But, it sounds like you became aware of what happened, admitted what you were doing and she saw and complimented you on that? Good!

Good observations NW. I fell into old patterns. I heard something that felt offensive / felt wrong inside of me. But I figured out a couple weeks ago and I worked with my IC on strategies to deal with that. A) Don't topic shift. B) DOn't react. Ask for clarity. Paraphrase back: "Is that what you said?" C) Just have a safe list of non-confrontational statements that let her know she was heard but you aren't completely in agreement. Like, "OK. I hear you. I need to think about that. Thanks."

Keep "not-reacting" like that, and she'll start trusting you again and then you'll probably start trusting her with your feelings as well. Next time, try doing the exact opposite of what your old emotions tell you to do. If it helps, and when you think you might say the wrong thing, just shut up and keep quiet even though every fiber in your being is screaming to get your point across. And, if you're like me, ditch any negative facial expressions or rolling of the eyes. Your wife is probably equally convinced that she is right and that you are wrong.

Your turn to talk will come so take the initiative and try doing something different instead. Try to see the complaint from her point of view and ask yourself if you'd say or think the same thing if you were in her shoes. A little empathy goes a long way in making you feel like an idiot for causing your wife to not feel safe talking to you.

I will take this advice. Thank you

D-DAY JAN 30, 2011
Divorce Final Sept 2012

"I want to be married and stay married. Now I uunderstand the kind of marriage I want and we all deserve. But I also know it takes two to want to Build that Marriage."
S
OP Offline
S
calling me OCD when I let a sink-full of dishes bother me,

I was "diagnosed" as OCD by my wife and her IC. He never even met me but apparently told her (after just a couple sessions) : "It must be exhausting managing your husband's OCD all these years."

So then, everyone moved on to diagnosing me with a host of other PD's. ADHD, Narcissist Disorder, Aspberger's, Sexual Addiction...

I know I need to let that go. My wife has stated to me she let it go.... she was just grasping for some quick answer back then, and she trusts me to explore those things on my own IC. I should stop being bitter about all that, but if I choose to get steamed about something that still does the trick.

(After dozens of sessions with my own personal therapist and also consulting my physician... they think its absurd that I have any of those PD's.... but I will continue to explore. I am searching for answers and open to professional input. Just not input from trigger happy people that haven't spent any substantial time with me and should know better as professionals.)

Last edited by stretch123; 03/29/11 11:00 PM.

D-DAY JAN 30, 2011
Divorce Final Sept 2012

S
OP Offline
S
Originally Posted by HoldHerHand
is that residual fog and justification enabled by a MC who... doesn't know a good marriage from their own rectal cavity?

Seriously? This MC is going to sit here and say "Well, Stretch, if you were more attentive, she wouldn't have cheated!"

Our MC said nothing like that at all. He is very good and even handed. I just got trapped in old defensive behaviors for 15+ minutes and got nailed yesterday.

D-DAY JAN 30, 2011
Divorce Final Sept 2012

S
OP Offline
S
Originally Posted by sunnydaze53
What your wife did all those years was sacrifice and, NO, it isn't right. I know of what she speaks.

After my affair, my husband was upset because it seemed liked he was making all the changes, and, quite honestly, he was.

Don't get me wrong, I have a lot to work on but most of it is inside myself. I was lying to myself and others to make myself look good and protect their feelings. I was non confrontational and such a martyre.

However, on the outside, I was doing it all right (until the time I betrayed my BH and my family). What I mean is, I was there for the meals, the homework, the activities. I went to church and paid the bills and did the grocery shopping and the laundry. I even made and froze meals and arranged activites for the kids the weekend I "went shopping."

So, on the outside, there isn't much for me to change. My BH has had to give up a lot and participate in things he never did before. I also think the hardest part is me requesting things of him that I never did before. It seems awkward and wrong in so many ways. Here I did this awful thing and now I'm telling him he can't go out with his buddies 3 nights a week....WHAT!

The fact is, it is difficult for him to deal with this new wife especially given what I did. I am trying to be fair and still let him know what I need. I haven't mastered it yet. Sometime I'm sure I come across sounding selfish. I don't want to be, but I need to let him know so we can work on it TOGETHER.

I realize now, I wasn't the perfect wife....self sacrifice is wrong and your taker will take over somehow, someway. I was not giving my husband credit for being able to handle the hard stuff. He didn't deal with any bad stuff but he also received no reward for the hard work. I took that from him.

I didn't have an affair because of what he did or didn't do. I had an affair because I had poor boundaries. I got my needs met elsewhere rather than "rock the boat" with him. The thing is, that wasn't my decision to make. I took that away from him.

Now you will have a new marriage. I know it is hard. There should be some compensation for what she did....maybe you should get a free pass on something BUT...that isn't how it works. You need to do the right thing because it is the right thing....it will never be fair or just or even. It just is.

So sorry for what you are going through and knowing that I did that to my BH and other men like him and you.

Sunny Daze. THANK YOU. Great post. Thanks for being brave to come inside the BH clubhouse and share. It means a lot.

Your sitch sounds similar in so many ways. I feel like your husband. My wife really tried like everything to make it work and tell everyone it was great and she gave a lot of sacrifice. She was determined to make the marriage work because the story she told herself at the outset was: "My Mom did not support my Dad enough and that's why my parents divorced. I will do my best to make this marriage work."

I am so ashamed she was unhappy and I did not notice. Even worse, she came to me periodically over the years and tried to tell me she wasn't happy. She really, really tried to hit me with a 2X4 several over the years. I was stubborn and refused to believe it or listen.

Poor boundaries with men always was an issue for her. And again, I never said anything even when I was uncomfortable. Depression has been a problem that I knew about before we were married. Guess how many books or articles I ever read about depression (or being married to a spouse with depression).... zero.

I never did anything other than whine about a messy house, or trouble with kids, or a messy minivan, or not enough SF or how hard my job was and I got no admiration (some truth, I could use more admiration -- and I am getting it now... I also am balancing work/life much better) and boo hoo I have to pay all the bills and the credit card debt is too high.

All that being said, you are right. The A was a bad choice. But you are right, its hard to be the one making a boatload of changes. Thanks for the empathy. Believe me, my wife understands and also has the empathy for the unfair twist our sitch puts on the BH. She is really starting to examine herself and accept my help to make her changes too. I think that it has taken several weeks past exposure day to recover from the shock, work through denial and anger, and more importantly, start to believe that Stretch 2.0 is for real and might actually last.

D-DAY JAN 30, 2011
Divorce Final Sept 2012

H
H
The only things I complained about were stupid --

Hmmmm....

like housework

Domestic Support - one of the 10 emotional needs

or arguing about kids

Family commitment, another of the 10 emotional needs...

or not getting enough SF (boo hoo big dumb man baby).

SF, another of the 10 - and one of the 4 intimate emotional needs to be met during UA time, and one need that can only be met by your spouse.

Fact of the matter is, stretch, this counseling you are going to sounds a lot like what they like to call "navel gazing" around here. Lots of looking at the past, digging up past hurts, etc.

That is not what MB is about. MB is about NOW, and MB is about THE FUTURE. Neither of those is very well addressed by continually dredging up past behaviors on either of your parts.

It's great that you will shoulder "90% of the problems" in your marriage, but a marriage still involves two people, and that last 10%? It's called openness and honesty.

What can you do TODAY, what can you do from here out? THAT is the key, not what you have done over the last 10 or 20 years.

"An expert is a person who has made all the mistakes that can be made in a very narrow field." - Niels Bohr

"Smart people believe weird things because they are skilled at defending beliefs they arrived at for non-smart reasons." - Michael Shermer

S
OP Offline
S
HHH- Thanks.

Last edited by stretch123; 03/29/11 11:45 PM.

D-DAY JAN 30, 2011
Divorce Final Sept 2012

H
H
HHH- by the way. I really owe you one man for that great tip.
It was WOW! Fantastic. Incredible experience.
Thanks.

Should stay that way for quite some time, brother. Ended up really putting the "F" in SF for me and FWW.

>.<

N
N
I am so ashamed she was unhappy and I did not notice. Even worse, she came to me periodically over the years and tried to tell me she wasn't happy. She really, really tried to hit me with a 2X4 several over the years. I was stubborn and refused to believe it or listen.

Geez, so that didn't work for you either, huh? We must have missed that day in the "Marriage 101" class.

Depression has been a problem that I knew about before we were married. Guess how many books or articles I ever read about depression (or being married to a spouse with depression).... zero.

Guess I skipped the empathy class also. Wow.

I never did anything other than whine about a messy house, or trouble with kids, or a messy minivan, or not enough SF or how hard my job was and I got no admiration (some truth, I could use more admiration -- and I am getting it now... I also am balancing work/life much better) and boo hoo I have to pay all the bills and the credit card debt is too high.

Ok, this is getting old now. Quit copying me! smile

And thanks, sunnydaze, for posting that as well. I got a lot out of it.

Me (BH)
FWW

A
A
Stretch and NW - FYI I was the opposite. We've always been good about splitting up the household chores, I've always been complimentary of her (maybe to crass sometimes) looks, style, etc. and I've never taken her for granted. (I think she would say that too.) So, when WW first came to me in the summer of '09 and asked for a D out of the blue - that was a shock and wake up call. I tried everything I could think of, I read everything I could about rekindling romance but in the end I rolled over when I got no response or commitment from WW. By not confronting the situation more directly and her being very quiet about it, we went back to our old ways. Of course, I thought everything was fine. In hindsight something was obviously just eating away at the foundation of our marriage. I thought this phase would pass and I thought by providing a lavish gift or two it would put me back into her good graces. Boy, was I wrong!

I'm telling you guys this, so that you avoid this mistake on the other end of the spectrum. In my case, the old saying is true, I gave an inch and she took a mile. Now I have to try and rein her in which will be difficult, if not impossible. She's had over a year and half to build up this fantasy life and our DS could be the big collateral damage here.

BS(me)- 45
WW - 41
D-day 1 - (PA) 01/2011
DS - 6
Exposure: early 02/2011
Started Plan B - 7/11
H
H

Stretch... what happened? Were your psychic powers down?

How did she try to tell you?

Do you know why this program focuses on Love Busters? Because when we use Love Busters to communicate, we don't communicate at all.

If she complained using Angry Outbursts, Disrespectful Judgments, and Selfish Demands, then THAT is why you "didn't listen," not because you were some kind of horrible person.

S
OP Offline
S
Thinking back, she probably used DJ's.

"You are doing this to me because..."
"You just think and feel XYZ..."
Giving me a lecture -- I reject that and get defensive.

Angry outbursts were rare. For me (never... not after all the yelling ym Dad and Mom did in the house I grew up. I cannot raise my voice.) But she came at me with angry outbursts sometimes.

My problem is I resisted, had terrible conversation skills, got into a negotiation, debate, defensive conversation so immediately. She used to have no room to speak around me. I just turn on a switch and take over.

D-DAY JAN 30, 2011
Divorce Final Sept 2012

S
OP Offline
S
It is March 31 in Minnesota and we still have tons of snow on the ground. My front lawn has four feet of snow around the driveway. We should get some empathy from the Canucks posting on this thread.

D-DAY JAN 30, 2011
Divorce Final Sept 2012

N
N
It is March 31 in Minnesota and we still have tons of snow on the ground. My front lawn has four feet of snow around the driveway. We should get some empathy from the Canucks posting on this thread.

Naw, they'll probably call you a bunch of sissies. smile

Bet you're ready for some warmer weather though. Hope the day has gone ok for you guys.

Me (BH)
FWW

J
J
Canadian here, we love the snow.......all beautiful and wonderful........NOT!!!
Last year was so much nicer this time of year...............
Sun, beach that's what we all want..............

BW 56
WH 57
Married 25 years, live together for 2, dated 2 years before that.....
DS 23, DS 25
D-Day Nov 23/09
NC Mar 1/10
Working on Recovery
Grateful for finding Marriage Builders
Page 24 of 68 1 2 22 23 24 25 26 67 68

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 728 guests, and 50 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation