Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
L
OP Offline
L
LOveCAG, thanks and I realize that. Regardless of what I learn I agree and have been reading as much as i can. Have read about Plan A in one of the concept pages along with other things. When I first visited here I didn't realize there is so much to study and learn, and just from the reading I've done now feel I am going to have to buy Surviving an Affair. A little overwhelming at first but am going to proceed. Thanks

P
P
When I first visited here I didn't realize there is so much to study and learn, and just from the reading I've done now feel I am going to have to buy Surviving an Affair. A little overwhelming at first but am going to proceed.

clap clap

You choose an appropriate username. This adultery stuff IS Life Altering.

Yes, the info can be overwhelming but it is powerful. You won't find a better place for help and daily support.

Widowed 11/10/12 after 35 years of marriage
“In a sense now, I am homeless. For the home, the place of refuge, solitude, love-where my husband lived-no longer exists.” Joyce Carolyn Oates, A Widow's Story
H
H
Lifealtering, We all know how you feel here. Please do a few things to make ready for a possible war as you have been advised already.
1) Stay Calm (easier said than done I know) Breath in breath out.
2) Become a expert at survey-lance overnight. It will cost you around 300$-500$ to get set up.(money well spent, PI's run that a day)
3)Prepare for the worst and hope for the best. Preparation is a key many dont get when they are Confused with facing a possible affair. Listen to the letter any Vets advice. Even when counter intuitive.

4) gather your evidence and document, document, document.

DO NOT let your Anger or Feelings take your eye off the ball. Dont confront again YET. Its imperative you keep suspicions to your mind and maintain normal appearances.

This advice comes from My mistakes and many others mistakes.

Divorced 11/5/2013
FXWW EA 2005/2008/2010
M
M
la, that sounds like a good plan. Please come back here with your findings and we can help you develop next steps. I agree that you should get the book Surviving an Affair so you know what you are dealing with.

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

L
L
Lifealtering:

As men, we got to be strong about this. Affairs are extremely common and no one wants to believe it is happening to them. My family is extremely Christian (go to church when its open, bible studies, devotions, prayer, etc) and my wife still cheated on me. I always thought her faith was keeping her above that evil but I was wrong. It can seriously happen to anyone (I even read people of other faiths or no religion at all).

My wife was very distant with the affair. Before if I was in the bathroom for too long (lol) she would come and ask if I was okay. Or she would get mad if I was on my cellphone during conversations with her (violation of undivided attention). In the affair, she was on the cellphone and barely wanting to know anything about my day, ignoring my kisses, etc.

What are your warning signs at the time? By the way, the fact your friends have given you warning about the movie is a great sign that something is happening. DO NOT IGNORE FRIENDS. My wife was spotted having dinner with OM which was a violation of every decent moral code out there (including POJA). It was the call from a friend that alerted me to an affair (dinner). My wife never told me she ate dinner with anyone and she got very defensive when I said that was inappropriate.

W
W
Originally Posted by ManInMotion
Originally Posted by lifealtering
has a laptop nothing and no history.

...which means she's likely erasing the history.
There is one other explanation about not finding "history"...
It is called
"PRIVATE BROWSING"!
When PB is activated, you will see NO history...
The ONLY way you can find out what is happening on a computer is to install a keylogger!

L
OP Offline
L
hello MB, using some lunch time today to gather more information on what I need to know. Needless to say the snooping stuff has been on my mine quite abit the last few days and I admit it makes me feel strange and a little squeamish. It's made me feel different toward her just realizing what I'm doing. I guess reserved and careful more so. I actually had more or less a moment of glee when I was up late last night realizing that there are these techniques but short lived. I knew about some of these just have not had any reason to need to use them myself. Just one thing about me is that I know I wear my emotions on my sleeve and she and some others close to me have told me that. Just am trying to act normal in the meantime and if questioned have the excuse I just feel tired and under pressure at work.

Onemoretime - you threw me with the survy-lance until I looked it up in the net. Must be tired LOL.

Meggy - all I can say it I'd rather NOT be a member here. When I register at a website I sometimes try to pick a name that sort of fits. I wanted to use "lifechanges" and found that it is taken.

LoveCAG, just the gut feelings over time. Less communication on us type stuff and more on maintenance things such as turn off crock pot when get home (we did talk alot about her course and school and helped her with her stat class she took) - when will you be home (felt checking on my comin and goings ) - usual weekend date night not seeming as entusiastic - not looking forward to it that much it seems or not even changing or getting decked out. More recently defensive, stern when I did bring up her time or whereabouts and the movie "date" instead of getting angry or just reassuring. Just several things I feel are not right. Another is impatience as in she wants to get to a store and I should be ready in a very short time - upset if I don't respond right away. Please tho don't get the impression she is neglecting the girls or home stuff. She is and always has been a devoted mom and this hasn't changed. I keep mulling this could be anything but I can't seem to get a reasonable straight answer from her if anything is bothering her about her well being or us.

MelodyLane - I totally agree regarding counselor. She had a very good person for individual counsel several years ago when she was going through some depression. This person was very supportive of both of us and the goal then was to help her get back to her noramal self. I learned some then about me not being there for her as much as I could have or should have. That was different and in looking at net reviews of M counseling though I would have to agree with you so that is not high on my list now even though she brought it up.

Much too long here now but I just appreciate all in the way of advice and support. I want to continue a search I have done in doing the monitoriing though. I'm learning you have to be careful with using certain techniques in terms of legality. The spyphone and var seem fine since phone accounts are in my name just as head of household and I was the one who initiated those. The GPS I really have questions about now and will do more research. Her computer she was able to purchase from her work with payroll deductions. The desktop we have here is for family as we all use it and I sat there yesterday and absolutely nothing there. Need to go will report back as soon as I can. Thanks.

L
OP Offline
L
loveCAG, this totally slipped my mind but you hit a nail. The bathroom thing has been noticeable. Before this if I was there she would just walk in or if she was I could just go in especially hurrying to get ready for work. Lately it's she won't go in or for me is just wait until I'm out. It hasn't stood out that much but it is one of the changes I've seen. I'm not wanting to debate it but it just seems she's a lot more conscius of modesty and privacy now.

L
OP Offline
L
Update, I am home now and left work early today. This is one of the rare times I have done this. I've gone to work and stayed with cold or not feeling well in the past but simply can't hack this today because I feel too many things all at once now that I've gone this far. We're in our annual audit and as cf fin ofcr. need to handle this however decided I can take questions home work on those tonight as I would in the office. Most of that stuff is done by email with attached worksheets anyway. Fortunaely she wasn't home and probably picking up the kids and possibly stopping for something on way home. I'm glad I did this because I've been trying to get back to some intensive consistent exercise and now I can get to the exercise area and work out plus do some running which believe me will help.

I've felt a rush of emotions since I came here and I guess thats par for the course but I just didn't feel ready for all of this. It's not any of you it's me. She called me at work earlier today to ask me if I'm okay because I seemed tired this morning and I was. I told her fine and just want to eat do what work I have and get to sleep and said I didn't sleep well. No reason given.

I'm going to install the spyphone tonight given the chance and take her car tomorrow to have install the recorder. Tonight I'm going to find the time to try to review cell phone bills for detail, but from my experience there isn't much detail unless you request it. Am expecting hardcopy prints of bills thsi week.

M
M
la, I don't know if you will have a need for it, and I dont' want to make you sick, but some here have used semen detectors in their quest for the truth. They are very effective and somewhat easy to use. Here is one that some here have used. checkmate

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

L
OP Offline
L
I have some quiet hours to post back here. She's out and kids are with neighbor friends. The Last week was stressful to say nothing less but since a few days ago I feel better than I have in quite awhile. I know I can't respond to everyone but I am appreciative of all the advice. I mounted the recorder several days ago and registerd for the spyphone.

Melodylane not doing that or even considering right now. I appreciate but am not looking forward to that kind of evidence. I fully know you can do all sorts of things to monitor in a relationship and feel that kind of relationship isn't worth the effort.

The monitor indicated the calls, a few to me on my cell and work number and some other missed calls or calls made to certain other numbers. This is about three days worth. Not many calls but I dialed back a few not familiar numbers and found one to university finance office, our day care facility, an auto dealer, and just a few others. Nothing on strange or repeated numbers. i received the hardcopy detail of cell phone bills last two months but havent reviewed yet. The recorder was different A lot of activity through voice although one sided. Constant chatter meaning her talking and nothing way out but heard names which are a few of her woman friends and a William. Heard that last several times and it's not bill or will but William. I scanned and haven't had a chance to listen totally but evidence of talk about where she will be, where she is, where I am, how she felt I that I felt when I got home from work the other night, to me a lot of private stuff. That was last night and I realize women like to talk to their female friends about their complaints but to hear this with some guy named William or whatever infuriated me. I need to add that I don't know how many of you have gont through this and probably many here but it saps any energy and or desire you migh have. The trust thing is the thing I am most worriied about now. I don't even want to look at her now knowing that a William is her friend and that I am probably low on her totum pole.

Going to need to break. Kids here now. Were supposed to go out last night for a date night but did not. I admit I was p*d off after the whole last week and what I initially heard. She, I guess expected a time out I declined and watched the BB torunament. One of who might understand I could not be around her last night for any reason.

L
L
Lifealtering:

A lot of pre-affair behavior involves having the opposite sex hearing the complaints of the marriage..Intimate conversation.

You must find out who this William is... This is a good start. Is the chatter to this William about how you don't understand her, don't love her right, how I don't know what to do, etc? This is very bad.. I don't know if it has gone full blown affair or not but this will definitely be leading there.

This is not a time for you to retreat, you are going to be raising some holy war on this affair. You are going to be the best husband ever in the upcoming two and a half years. You will have to start meeting her needs like nothing else. You can't be a doormat, however. You can't enable her behavior. If she says anything about divorce, not in love, affair, etc. You have to pretty quickly say you can make her life better, there will be no destroying this family, we can be in love again, and I have more love history with you, etc.

You need to find out who this William is and find some pretty concrete evidence. Also, in the mean time you are officially in Plan A mode.

Eric

Last edited by LoveCAG; 03/26/11 05:00 PM. Reason: addition
L
OP Offline
L
LoveCag, I don't feel anything like a doormat but I understand why you might say it. I'm still wading my way through this and I don't think we would have surviced at all if that was the case. I've provided for all of us and have a good job which I am happy with. Things might change over time for a couple from when you're young and can't stand to be without each other and if the case then maybe I'm one of those who really doesn't understand women. I don't think so though and maybe people just tend to grow apart.

I'm not sure I understand the two and half years and am I missing something here? Not many complaints that I heard on the voice but statements about where she will be and when and when she has to be home or at work. One statement was "he didn't want to discuss it" and not sure what that was unless it was last weekend about not wishing to do something with her. If she has complaints to HIM maybe after last night she has already somehow complained again to him. We had a weekend date night planned but it didn't happen. I was too upset and too down after this week to consider being with her and that was right after listening to just part of her voice talking about private stuff and calling someone Honey a few times. Unex[ected bad argument and she got livid and that is now where we're at now, that I'm suspicious and not enjoyable to be with and she's selfish and couldn't care less about us. I was hoping that the girls could be at their friends house but they went out for tonight and have them here now. Just need more time to get through this stuff now.

N
N
I think I remember you saying your wife is employed. Okay, 75% of women who start out in EA's (whether or not they progress to PA's) do so with someone from work, or related to work.

Look for a trusted peer, a mentor (my WW's personal choice) or, increasingly, protege. Consider a supervisory position or some such. Client, maybe?

Next, look for "without you" leisure activities - sports (gym colleagues are popular), service organizations, etc, etc.

Finding an identity for "William" will be the critical start to "Operation Life Re-altering".

Continue/improve your unconcerned mien when dealing with WW. You WANT her comfort level high, because with that comes carelessness. Engaging in fights with her is NOT good, on many levels. Yeah, we know it's tough, but recovering from the effects of more quickly driving her to his understanding arms is infinitely tougher.

Flexispy should soon give you the correct lead. As mentioned, that's when the real work can begin.

L
L
Lifealtering:

Ooops I should of clarified my 2 year statement. They say bare minimum it could take 2 years before a marriage is restored from adultery. It could be more than that, obviously.

I would also add that William could be a fellow student from a class of hers. Some schools have an online roster which you could find a William but not all of them have this.

Continue your snooping, I am sure you'll find something really soon!

N
N
LA, it's been a while since you last posted.

Have you discovered the full identity of "William"?

We're here for you, whatever your current situation. What can we do for you?

L
OP Offline
L
Hello Neverguessed and all. Sorry but this week was a very busy one and I couldn't get here for any length of time. She's at a hair appt. this now and will pick up some pizza we had planned on way home so I have a little time now.

Yes she works parttime three days a week at a job that could lead to fulltime. She's been there for awhile now. She went back to college (some grad classes) last summer and takes one class a sememster. Not a degree program but to help her career.

Last time I hadn't had much opportunity to listen in on the recordings but I have now. In summary pretty clear just about most of the concersations are with the same person. Only heard william mentioned a couple of times. However pretty clear she is talking to someone about her days, times, where she is, a little about the kids and how they are. A pretty clear complaint about last weekend being boring and tense. "Ihaven't discussed it with him", "I can't make it there at that time", several 'Sweety's", byes, and some other things making it clear. That was three days worth as I removed the recorder end of last week and I honestly have not had the chance to reinstall it. I reinstalled it a couple od days ago haven't had a chance to take it out yet.

I'm sorry, but I have no clue on the identity of this guy except it's clear he also goes there for classes. One reference to stopping for a beer or coffee after her class one the night last week that her class was over. One thing I did notice is her family cell phone calls don't support this activity in terms of times. There would be alot more activity on her phone if she was always using it. So I would agree she probably has another phone she bought herself.

I have not asked her if she has one and I've looked and I will need help on this too. If she keeps it in her purse I haven't been able to get at it. She has it with her next to a chair she is sitting in or puts it away at night or just stows it somewhere. It was out by a chair last weekend when she went out of that room and I started to look but she came back. (I had heard her coming and had walked away). This all has me discouraged and tired by now. I know most of you have gone through this in some form or other but I feel I am just beginning. I haven't brought up a feeling or a word about my suspicions and I've been trying the best I can to engage her in conversation, asking about her days and school, suggesting going out, trying to surprise her with little things like stopping for ice cream on way home, and that sort of stuff. Tonight on the way home I stopped to pick up some flowers for her. Have them in the garage in a vase for when she gets home. Variable reactions, sometimes intersted and other times it is like I could fall over or dance on tables and she is like far away distant. Just not there!! We did watch some of a movie last night after the kids were sleeping and sitting close some and just a little touching but that was all there was. Tonight I'm going to suggest that we try for someone to sit the kids and go out. I don't think either of us would have had a very nice time out tonight as I know I am exhausted and she seems tired too this week. This is all I better post for now as just got her call and will be home soon. Thank you much. I will try for more update this weekend.

I

S
S
sorry you find yourself here LA. this is the sort of thing which has been happening for time immemorial. there are lots of here all under more or less the same circumstances. crazy stuff. you don't have to be in a bad marriage for it to happen either. it is about boundaries. your W obviously felt she couldnt talk to you about something or maybe she didnt realize that by engaging this fellow she would be embarking upon something sinister. it is a slippery slope.

Last time I hadn't had much opportunity to listen in on the recordings but I have now. In summary pretty clear just about most of the concersations are with the same person. Only heard william mentioned a couple of times. However pretty clear she is talking to someone about her days, times, where she is, a little about the kids and how they are. A pretty clear complaint about last weekend being boring and tense. "Ihaven't discussed it with him", "I can't make it there at that time", several 'Sweety's", byes, and some other things making it clear. That was three days worth as I removed the recorder end of last week and I honestly have not had the chance to reinstall it. I reinstalled it a couple od days ago haven't had a chance to take it out yet.
It sounds like an EA, maybe not physical yet. he is a comforting presence to her somehow. it is about her ENs (emotional needs). you are meeting some and so is he. on a level she knows she is doing something wrong but it feels GOOD.

I'm sorry, but I have no clue on the identity of this guy except it's clear he also goes there for classes. One reference to stopping for a beer or coffee after her class one the night last week that her class was over. One thing I did notice is her family cell phone calls don't support this activity in terms of times. There would be alot more activity on her phone if she was always using it. So I would agree she probably has another phone she bought herself.
same class? if so, could you obtain a class roster? is there a way to screen the names of students for a "william"?she probably has a pre paid or secret phone. does she have an iphone? there are apps that will allow you to have another number.

I have not asked her if she has one and I've looked and I will need help on this too.
dont ask her. that will tip her off and will make it much harder for you to gather intel. it is a cat and mouse game right now. hold your cards close. it is very much like POKER. you need to cultivate a poker face while you are gathering your intel. great books to get include "not just friends" by Shirley Glass as well as Surviving an Affair by Dr. Harley. your wife could very much be like Kevin who almost took that next step like Sue did. just know that no matter how nice you are to her, she is probably closed to it bc he is building LB$ deposits with her that either rival your own or exceed them. do not be discouraged if she sounds unappreciative on the VAR. you need GPS too. go on the intel thread. the one you buy at radioshack (the name eludes me) sounds like a good one. my OM lives >1000 miles away after they had their PA so am "lucky" in that regard. do not hesitate there.

If she keeps it in her purse I haven't been able to get at it. She has it with her next to a chair she is sitting in or puts it away at night or just stows it somewhere. It was out by a chair last weekend when she went out of that room and I started to look but she came back. (I had heard her coming and had walked away). This all has me discouraged and tired by now. I know most of you have gone through this in some form or other but I feel I am just beginning.
check her car too. she could be hiding it in there. she is probably doing most of her talking with him in the car.

I haven't brought up a feeling or a word about my suspicions and I've been trying the best I can to engage her in conversation, asking about her days and school, suggesting going out, trying to surprise her with little things like stopping for ice cream on way home, and that sort of stuff. Tonight on the way home I stopped to pick up some flowers for her. Have them in the garage in a vase for when she gets home. Variable reactions, sometimes intersted and other times it is like I could fall over or dance on tables and she is like far away distant. Just not there!!
trust your instincts LA. she is engaged in at least an EA. before you know it, she will hit you with ILYBNILWY. your sitch is not a bad one necessarily bc it sounds like it could be early in the process. take solace in that.

We did watch some of a movie last night after the kids were sleeping and sitting close some and just a little touching but that was all there was. Tonight I'm going to suggest that we try for someone to sit the kids and go out. I don't think either of us would have had a very nice time out tonight as I know I am exhausted and she seems tired too this week. This is all I better post for now as just got her call and will be home soon. Thank you much. I will try for more update this weekend.
try to get her alone this w/e just for time betw the two of you. do something she likes. you need more intel. you know that. i am again sorry you find yourself here bc it is not a happy place to find oneself. remember that you are still a family, she is your wife, you have your girls. live in the moment.

L
L
Does your wife have facebook, myspace, or other social networking sites? You can find a William there. Or take some time off from work and attend class with her. You can ask a professor or other student who William is if done discreetly. You can now have a last name to work with. Do not reveal to your spouse you are doing these things.

In the mean time be extremely affectionate, romantic, talk to her, and go out with her even to the grocery store. If you make love to her be affectionate during and aftet and talk.

Eliminate love busters and use chivalry when opening doors. Lets see her see the passionate side of you.

N
N
So I would agree she probably has another phone she bought herself.....I have not asked her if she has one and I've looked and I will need help on this too. If she keeps it in her purse I haven't been able to get at it.

Okay, it's either in her purse or her car. Have you "strip-searched" the vehicle yet? Do it.

As for the purse, do we really have to spoon-feed you the steps to check it out?

How about this? Tonight drink five cups of extra-caffeine coffee. "Try" to fall asleep with your WW. After she nods off, wait an hour, quietly get up, retrieve the purse and go through it. No rocket science degree needed here, just an all-consuming, internal, intense flame of wanting to end this affair before it goes any farther.

Which, now that the topic is broached, we're not seeing a whole lot of from you. Save the "You don't understand...." excuses, LA! The point to THIS post is to make damn sure YOU understand the importance, and necessity, of ACTION, not wishy-washy "Oh, this is so rough!" whines.

I'd have been parked outside her class the first night after my suspicions were triggered, WITH a camera, taking photos of who she left class with. I'd have asked her how her class was going, and what she thought of her professor, etc, looking for a hook. By now, somehow, I'd have gotten a class roster (lie, cheat, steal, somehow), and known not only William's last name, but his address, marital status, employer, SSN, and, if necessary, blood-type, to arrange for the needed transfusion when I was done "discussing" this with him.

You've been whining for two weeks - I ended my wife's EA in two HOURS!

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 731 guests, and 60 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation