Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
T
OP Offline
T
I have never met the OMW so we don't have any mutual friends and I don't know who I could have talk to her. A few months ago my husband mentioned sending a registered letter to her at their home. I don't know what to do. I just want to make it right.

M
M
Originally Posted by tweety_21ca
I have never met the OMW so we don't have any mutual friends and I don't know who I could have talk to her. A few months ago my husband mentioned sending a registered letter to her at their home. I don't know what to do. I just want to make it right.

It doesn't have to be a mutual friend, just some one who willing to tell her the truth. The problem with sending a certified letter is that they usually let a spouse sign for it and it might be intercepted.

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

G
G
...He wanted to tell the friends he stayed with but I pleaded with him not to, as they are my friends too and I knew it would change things. ...
Tweety, if they are friends of you & your husband's and friends of your marriage, then they should support your reconciliation. Some friends will. Some won't. Thing is, you don't really need the ones who won't, anyway. Look at it philosophically: As they say, you'll find out who your true friends are.

In the aftermath of my affair, it was important for my wife & me to have friends who were for her, without being against me. We didn't broadcast indiscriminately that I'd had an affair. Rather, we carefully considered whom we would tell. My wife allowed me to have a say, but she didn't have to allow this or seek my consent. Neither does your husband. Knowing this, it'd be a good gesture on your part to go to your H and acknowledge -- not grudgingly, but humbly & graciously -- that it's his right to tell those friends whom he feels it will help him to tell. (You won't be granting him that right; it's already his right, so you'll just be acknowledging it, and thereby also showing him that you're placing some trust in him.) Offer to go with him if he wants; being there together during the telling can help you as a couple to stay on the same page as one another & can show your friends that you two are committing to attempting recovery.

No doubt, my wife & I have lost friendships, or potential friendships, because of my affair. I caused that, I hate it, and I can't change it. And I certainly had no right to stand in the way of potentially valuable friendships that she wanted to try & keep and that she felt she needed to help her in her healing. And those friends whom we told, have been great sources of comfort not only to my wife, but also to me, during our recovery.

Is it important for family to know?
If it's important to your husband, then it's important. Some BSs will be satisfied that an affair is really over and will feel safe/secure enough to want to shield their intra-family relationships from further consequences, and/or prevent any unhelpful intra-family dynamics from exerting adverse influences on recovery. However, many BSs will by no means be feeling that safe/secure, and will want to count on the extra support, advice and/or watchful eyes of their families. Some families can provide this. (Some can't; some people's family members are undeniably head-cases with full baskets of their own issues, & who'd be toxic to a couple who are interested in or at least contemplating attempting recovery.) BUT whichever it is, as the WS, you need to graciously cede the choice to him, as a gesture of your desire to help him heal & feel safe/secure.

As it happens, my wife chose for us not to tell our families. I was all for that, of course; but I'd have had no ground whatsoever to stand upon in opposing her wishes if she'd wanted to tell them.

Me: FWH, 50
My BW: Trust_Will_Come, 52, tall, beautiful & heart of gold
DD23, DS19
EA-then-PA Oct'08-Jan'09
Broke it off & confessed to BW (after OW's H found out) Jan.7 2009
Married 25 years & counting.
Grateful for forgiveness. Working to be a better husband.
"I wear the chain I forged in life... I made it link by link, and yard by yard" ~Jacob Marley's ghost, A Christmas Carol
"Do it again & you're out on your [bum]." ~My BW, Jan.7 2009
T
OP Offline
T
Thank you. I have a great family; however, my dad has some funny ideas about relationships and I cannot confide in my mom (she tells people everything). Years ago my dad told me about a girl he knew who's husband slapped her around, but he (my dad) said she deserved it because she's a flirt. Ever since then I've never been able to tell him about anything.

Before my husband and I started dating, I dated a guy who was very sexually aggressive, pushy, and at times abusive. One time he choked me by putting my neck between his bicep and forearm and squeezing like a nut cracker, until I just about passed out and ended up throwing up. He had me convinced that he had "ruined me" for normal men. When I finally found the strength to break it off he pleaded with me to stay just one more night, and promised he wouldn't touch me. We had had a few drinks and I didn't want to drive so I gave in, and he kept his word...till the next morning. He forced me to have sex with him. Although after he cried and appeared remorseful, once I cut it off completely and would not see him again, he started blaming me for "making him do it".

My point is I could never tell my dad what that guy did because I was so afraid he would think I asked for it or deserved it.

As far as his friends go, he assured me they wouldn't be judgemental but I still don't think I could face them or stay in their house after this.

My husband has forgiven me but he occasionally slips into a dark place, usually when work and his parents and what I did all come crashing down on him. Last night he started talking about what I did, again, and finally I broke down. He held me and told me to please stop crying but how can I? I'm trying to ride the waves because I know I caused it but sometimes it's so hard.

My counselor made it clear to me yesterday (I've seen her about 5 times since this happened) that I have no self-worth and am willing to sacrifice myself and my morals for acceptance. My husband seems to think this was a direct attack on him, that I must have hated him so much to do this - but it has little to do with him. How can I explain that?

N
N
Why should the BW not hear the news from you?

Why should a dental patient who was raped under anesthesia not hear the news from her rapist?

Do you think there might be a certain lack of empathy?

Find someone else - anyone else - to tell her. Even someone on here, a complete stranger, would be an improvement to hearing it from you. My first choice would be your BH. If he doesn't want to, find someone else. Do not tell her yourself, and do not leave her untold any longer.

Today is the day she needs to know.

A smooth sea never made a skilled mariner.
~ English proverb

Neak's Story
T
OP Offline
T
I guess I thought having someone else tell her was a cop out for me and the least I could do was own up to it.

All I know about her is where she lives. The OM never mentioned her name. He told me what she does, but not where she works, which could be a number of places.

After DD my husband had a friend do him a favor and he was able to obtain all sorts of information on the OM and his family - wife and daughters names, ages, where they live, their home address, their church! Right now he is adamant she not know and short of sending someone to show up on their doorstep I don't know what else to do. My husband is definitely not giving me their info.

Last edited by tweety_21ca; 08/11/11 09:06 AM.
T
OP Offline
T
My husband told the OM via text message and voice mail message (OM would not pick up the phone or return messages) that he was telling his supervisor and his family. OM responded that he can go ahead and tell the supervisor, but he is not going to be "blackmailed" and if he comes near his family he'll take appropriate action.

M
M
tweety, the reason you shouldn't be the one to tell her is because it might result in an accidental meeting between you and the OM. But you still have a moral obligation to make sure she is informed. So I would keep working on that. You can't very well say you are repentant when your victim does not even know what you have done. The OMW has to be informed. That is your responsibility.

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

M
M
if he comes near his family he'll take appropriate action.

MrRollieEyes What action is that exactly?

Exposure 101

M
M
Originally Posted by MelodyLane
if he comes near his family he'll take appropriate action.

MrRollieEyes What action is that exactly?

He's a cop and cops are, in general, power mongers. He'll threaten and manipulate and whatever it takes to keep you from telling his wife. This is a particularly poignant situation in which "threatening" exposure is a horrible idea.

You can't threaten or intimidate a cop. They, in general, especially a wayward one just see that as a challenge to their [often twisted] sense of authority.

As far as what "appropriate action" means, I think he's being purposely obtuse so he can threaten you without any legal accountability. He wants your mind to wonder what exactly he means. THAT is the point. "Appropriate action" could mean he'll go the legal route and try to take out restraining orders and the like and since he's a cop he'll beat you legally because the courts love cops but it also leaves enough room for one to speculate whether "appropriate action" means physically stopping with extreme prejudice to "protect his family".

Wayward cops are much more dangerous than the general population of waytards. Not saying you shouldn't expose...just be careful and I'd make certain to get it done in one shot face to face with his wife in a public place so there is no followup necessary for the cop to feel a further need to intimidate you (because it's done).

Mr. Wondering

FBH(me)-51 FWW-49 (MrsWondering)
DD19 DS 22 Dday-2005-Recovered

"agree to disagree" = Used when one wants to reject the objective reality of the situation and hopefully replace it with their own.
M
M
I think he is blowing hot air. If he did pull any of those stunts then even MORE people would find out and he would be subject to discovery. It would be pretty hard to get a restraining order for simply calling up a woman and telling her about the affair.

tweety, if I were you, I would ask a close friend or family to contact the OMW and tell her about the affair. That way he can't come after you or your H with any legal shenanigans.

Exposure 101

I
I
You expect waywards to be stricken with shame once confronted by their victim (at least I did) but its astonishing how so many go the aggressive, crazy threats route. They never have a leg to stand on.

I was told 'You'll regret this' (vague nutsy aggression by WH)
and 'You should make sure your information is right because Ill do you for slander' (Vague nutsy aggression by OW)

~I went right ahead, regardless and got what needed to be done sorted. All talk.

What would you do if you were not afraid?

"Fear is the little death. Fear is the mind-killer" Frank Herbert.

T
OP Offline
T
Mr. Wondering is most likely correct. That statement the XOM made alone was enough for me to lose all feelings/attraction immediately. My husband was in distress over what we had done and he wouldn't even say sorry - just turn around and threaten him. He sent a lame text to my husband (after repeated unanswered calls from my husband) saying he would 'have to live with what he did'. When my husband indicated that wouldn't be enough then the XOM threatened him.

I believe the Sgt. I spoke with at IA is friends with the XOM. He's maintained since the beginning that this guy has a spotless record (despite my husband's contact saying that the XOM is "known" for this), that he had worked with him before, and as far as he was concerned this was just 'two lonely people getting together'.

The XOM has been in this town a long, long time - been in the Navy several years and a cop for 15+. So I have no idea what I could be going up against.

I am going to counseling every other week now and am eagerly awaiting for "Surviving an affair" to arrive in the mail.

T
OP Offline
T
indiegirl - by the grace of God my husband chose to stay with me. It has been a rocky couple of months. Almost every day my husband would ask me questions and/or vent at me, and I would take it until I was reduced to tears. I figured I deserved it. I made the mistake of using his past against him which one of the members on this board pointed out is a big mistake. So I have since owned up to everything I did, and told my husband so. I can't understand how people, especially the WS could turn around and attack the person they betrayed other than a defense mechanism.

Yesterday was our second anniversary. I didn't suggest or ask for anything. I was just glad to be seeing another anniversary. In fact, his friend invited us for dinner and I left the decision up to him. Initially he said we'd go there, but later that afternoon changed his mind and took me for a nice anniversary dinner alone. It was truly a nice night and I'm glad to see his is having more brighter times now than dark times. My biggest regret is putting him through all the pain. He fell way behind in work because of what I did and some days just has no joy at all. I destroyed years of trust for a smug [censored] who I was nothing more than an object to and could easily be thrown away if the heat got turned on.

P
P
How come the work P R I C K is censored but not skank?

Not important enough to discuss and besides, the censoring is done by an auto censor, not some human.
Move on .... back to finding ways to fix your M, thank you.

P
P
I destroyed years of trust for a smug [censored] who I was nothing more than an object to and could easily be thrown away if the heat got turned on.

There is a fallacy in what you wrote.
Can you see it?

Would the trust in your marriage have been LESS DESTROYED had the OM not been a (whatever censored word of your choice) who was only using you?

No.
Even if OM had been deeply, emotionally, in love with you, it would still have been a stupid adultery on your part.

What you wrote is like saying the following:

"I destroyed my reputation because I stole a cheap car."

Nooooooooooo.
Because you stole ANY car.

This does matter.
I am not nit-picking you, dear.
Just trying to help your thinking become clear and logical.

C
C
Hi Tweety.

Perhaps you can write OMW a letter and have it delivered by a process server. They know what the law is about contact so they will not get in any trouble by breaking it. The problem with that is I do not know if the have to notify or file with the local PD. I would check on that.

My other suggestion is for a public place maybe the church after service. Of course that is only if WH doesn't attend, and someone besides you can talk to her.

I understand your anxiety about all this, seeing how the attitude of the sgt was , his "spotless" record, and how much seniority he has. I agree with Mr Wondering also he is using language that can mean anything, especially because he certainly doesn't know what "appropiate" means.

The faster you take care of this the better. Be swift and do it one time and do it right, then you can tell her you will never see or speak to her again, and she can tell her WH that you said that.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 783 guests, and 56 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation