Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#2711559 03/10/13 03:49 AM
B
BS37NF Offline OP
OP Offline
B
New here, guess the first thing is to tell my story. I'll try to make it to the point.

Got pregnant in 1995, gave now H a chance to step up. Took him about a year but he became a fantastic father. We were married in 1998. Moved from home town and support to further his career In 2002. H had a ONS in same year. Did no recovery, just tried to forget. (Insert first mistake here). Moved again to current location in 2004.

2010 H was exposed for having a EA with someone in the work place. Hindsight tells me he was setting up for a full blown PA but got caught. Feb 2013 exposed of having a PA with a different co-worker for the duration of 2+ years. Time to be determined (2010?)

We are one month after exposure. H has said there is no contact although they still at at the same place, different departments. At the moment finically he cannot quit but we have talked about the fact that it needs to happen for us to survive.

H is working with a counsellor specializing in infidelity. Because of the EA I have my own therapist and also on occasion work with his through email, Skype, phone calls. I am on anti depressants from the fall out of the EA and actually came to the realization that my lack of self confidence & depression mainly came from his need to de-moralize me for his own guilt.

We have told all of our friends, co-workers, bosses, neighbours, basically everyone except our children (16 & 14).

Any advice, questions, comments and concern would be helpful.

Are we on the right path? How long do we stay here? I know I can only do what I want to for as long as I can but what do you do when giving up seems easier? How do you handle when H acts like nothing's wrong? If I wait for him to come to me (which might be forever) wont that cause more resentment? He was my best friend, now I've lost that as well.

I've read all of the MB web site and am headed to get SAA A.S.AP.

BS37NF #2711560 03/10/13 04:06 AM
B
B
Welcome and sorry for the pain that has brought you here.

Is the OW married? Whom on the OW's side have you exposed?

You told his boss and OW's boss?

What snooping techniques do you have in place to verify NC?

Did he write a NC letter?

Notify the MODS to move your thread to SAA.

This takes 2-5 years for true recovery with a repentant spouse.

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both
Blended Family with 7 kids between us
Too much hurt and pain on both sides that my brain hurts just thinking about it all.

BS37NF #2711576 03/10/13 09:28 AM
P
P
I am on anti depressants from the fall out of the EA and actually came to the realization that my lack of self confidence & depression mainly came from his need to de-moralize me for his own guilt.

Is the medication helping? Are you exercising? Eating healthfully? Sleeping restfully? Are you able to concentrate and problem solve. Are you crying a lot? Do you think about ending your life?

When you feel angered by things WH is doing & has done, do you beat yourself up?

You said:

what do you do when giving up seems easier?

I'm pretty certain you mean giving up on your marriage, not on yourself, right?

You said:

How do you handle when H acts like nothing's wrong?

I'm not sure I understand what "nothing's wrong" looks like. Can you describe one 'nothing's wrong' moment for us?

You wrote:

If I wait for him to come to me (which might be forever) wont that cause more resentment?

You cannot overcome the mountain of resentment by ignoring or "moving on" without a bilateral plan. A plan for recovery is missing. That's why you feel so lost.

You feel WH does not "have your back" .... because it's a fact. Not your imagination.

Does WH know how alone and unloved you feel?
If you told him, what was his response?

Keep posting.
You are not NUTZ. The situation is horrible.

Last edited by Pepperband; 03/10/13 09:29 AM.
BS37NF #2711578 03/10/13 09:35 AM
P
P
Originally Posted by BS37NF
I've read all of the MB web site and am headed to get SAA A.S.AP.

Good for you!
What efforts (actual work) is WH doing? I do NOT mean him talking to a therapist. I do mean him taking care of YOU.
Are you doing all the 'heavy lifting' in this recovery process?

Your love bank seems like it may be hemorrhaging.
You cannot and will not feel in love with WH while he is actively withdrawing love units via love busters.

Selfish Demands
Disrespectful Judgments
Angry Outbursts
Annoying Habits
Independent Behavior
Dishonesty

Which of these love busters has WH done this week?

BS37NF #2711585 03/10/13 10:22 AM
M
M
Hi BS3, welcome to Marriage Builders. I am sorry for the reasons that brought you here. The problem is that you have no plan for recovery. None of the essential elements necessary for recovering a marriage after an affair are in place. The first step is complete no contact with the affair partner. You cannot do step two until you have done step ONE. I would get the book Surviving an Affair as soon as you can. Until then, please read what Dr Harley writes in Requirements for Recovery:

Originally Posted by Dr Bill Harley, clinical psychologist and founder of Marriage Builders
The plan I recommend for recovery after an affair is very specific. That's because I've found that even small deviations from that plan are usually disastrous. But when it's followed, it always works. The plan has two parts that must be implemented sequentially. The first part of the plan is for the unfaithful spouse to completely separate from the lover and eliminate the conditions that made the affair possible. The second part is for the couple to create a romantic relationship, using my Basic Concepts as a guide.

I'll describe these two parts to you in a little more detail.

The first step, complete separation from the lover and eliminating the conditions that made the affair possible, requires a complete understanding of the affair. All information regarding the affair must be revealed to the betrayed spouse, including the name of the lover, the conditions that made the affair possible (travel, internet, etc.), the details of what took place during the affair, all correspondence, and anything else that would shed light on the tragedy.

This information is important for two reasons: (1) it creates accountability and transparency, making it essentially impossible for the unfaithful spouse to continue the affair or begin a new one unnoticed, and (2) it creates trust for the betrayed spouse, providing evidence that the affair is over and a new one is unlikely to take its place. The nightmares you experience are likely to continue until you have the facts that
will lead to your assurance that your husband can be trusted.

An analysis of the wayward spouse's childhood or emotional state of mind in an effort to discover why he or she would have an affair is distracting and unnecessary. It takes precious time away from finding the real solutions. I know why people have affairs: We are all wired for it. Given certain conditions, we would all do it. Given other conditions, however, none of us would do it. So the goal of the first step is to discover the conditions that made the affair possible and eliminate them.

After the first step is completed, the second step is to create a romantic relationship between you and your husband using my 10 Basic Concepts here
as your guide. While your relationship may be improving, it won't lead to a romantic relationship because you are not being transparent toward each other. Unspoken issues in a marital relationship lead to a superficiality that ruins romance.
<snip unrelated>

Infidelity is not something that can be swept under the rug. While those who have affairs want to forget about it and move on, those who are betrayed must take very specific steps before they can fully recover. In your case, those steps have not been taken, and as a result, your fear persists. I will send you a complimentary copy of my book, "Surviving an Affair," if you send me your address. It will describe these two steps to you and provide you with a roadmap toward full recovery. But the path will require full disclosure of all details.
here

If this is not the plan your "counselor" is giving you, then you don't have a counselor who knows how to lead you to success. There is ONE WAY to recovery and this is it.

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

P
P
For emphasis:

Infidelity is not something that can be swept under the rug.

But the path will require full disclosure of all details.

BS37NF #2711588 03/10/13 10:35 AM
M
M
We are one month after exposure. H has said there is no contact although they still at at the same place, different departments. At the moment finically he cannot quit but we have talked about the fact that it needs to happen for us to survive.

They can see each other at work every day. Your marriage will NEVER recover as long as they work at the same place. NEVER. If your counselor has any idea whatsoever about saving a marriage from infidelity he will tell you this is STEP ONE. No STEP TWO until you accomplish this step.

Here is a radio clip with Dr Harley and a betrayed husband about this subject: here

We have told all of our friends, co-workers, bosses, neighbours, basically everyone except our children (16 & 14).

Dr. Harley on telling the children:

Originally Posted by Dr Bill Harley
The same can be said about telling children about an affair. My experience with the positive outcomes of hundreds of families where an affair has been exposed to children has led me to encourage a betrayed spouse not to fear such exposure. In fact, to mislead children, giving other false explanations as to why their parents are not getting along, causes children to be very confused. When they finally discover the truth, it sets an example to children that dishonesty is sometimes acceptable, making them the judge of when that might occur.

An affair is an attack on children as well as the betrayed spouse. And it's true that children are deeply affected by this form of irresponsible behavior. But it's the act of infidelity that causes children to suffer, not the exposure of it. Facts point us toward solutions. Illusion leads us astray. That's true for children as well as adults.
here

Q: So, you do suggest telling our 10 year old son? Is this more than he can handle? He never saw any real unhappiness as my husband and I had a very low conflict marriage. I have been protecting our son from this truth. He still has hope that his dad is going to come home.
A: As for your son, the truth will come out eventually, even if you get back together again. And your son won't be emotionally crippled if he hears the truth. It's lies and deception that cripple children. He should know that your husband is choosing his lover over his son's mother. It's a fact. He's willing to ruin a family unit all for what.

When I first started recommending openness about an affair, I wasn't sure what would happen. But I did it because I knew it was the right thing to do. Now I know that for most couples it marks the beginning of recovery.

The reason that children should know about an affair is that exposing it to the light of day (letting everyone know), helps give the unfaithful spouse a dose of reality. An affair thrives on illusion, and whatever a betrayed spouse can do to eliminate the illusion is justifiable. Mold doesn't grow well in sunlight.
here

2. How honest should I be about the A? (they are 7 and under)

Tell your children as much as you can about their father's affair, and how it affects you. There are some counselors and lawyers that strongly disagree with me on this issue, but I have maintained that position for over 35 years without any evidence that children are hurt by it. They're hurt by the affair, not by accurate information regarding the affair. Just make sure that you don't combine accurate information with disrespectful judgments. For example, you can say that the OW has taken their father away from you, but you should not say that she is home-wrecker (or worse).
here

My basic approach to life is that radical honesty is valuable on many different dimensions. It keeps us out of trouble, it helps others understand us, and it helps others avoid the same mistakes we have made. Letting your children know the details of your husband's affair would help them in all three areas.

The more your children know about your husband's affair, the more careful he will be to avoid them in the future.

The more your children know about his affair, the more they will understand what you are going through in your recovery (by the way, you are doing very well -- keep up the good work!).

Being radically honest about your husband's affair with your children would also help them avoid affairs themselves. How it happened and how could it have been prevented is a great object lesson for children. I learned that I was vulnerable for an affair when I learned about my grandfather's affairs. The extraordinary precautions I've taken were directly related to what I learned about him.

It's the approach I've always taken, and while it's difficult, especially for the WS, there's much more upside to it than downside.

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

B
BS37NF Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Pepperband:
The medication is helping (I think) I have no plans off going off of it!

I am exercising which is hard as H is a personal trainer P/T and OW goes to the same gym. The owner know and have helped me put a system in place that allows me NC.

H makes sure I eat healthy as that is one of my expressed needs and he knows how important it is.

I am not crying a lot, some but to a lot. More in week one and two. Now very sporadically. I am not a crier normally.

I don't think of ending my life. I know I will be ok. I am not and will not be the victim. I will be a survivor of this affair with or with out him.

I do feel angered at the lack of things H is doing. I feel like its not enough. I do beat myself up when I feel this way but have put some coping techniques in place that usually allow me turn that around.

I did mean giving up on my marriage, not myself.

A nothing's wrong moment would be: after having a lengthy discussion about out relationship he would get up and say, hey tomorrow do you mind if I go for a ride, it'll be about 2 hours, that ok? It's quite infuriating.

I have to,d him how alone and unloved I feel. He does do some of the BN to help alleviate that, hand holding, kisses, I love you's, but he did all those things before. His response is that he is trying. He asks what he can do to help me feel safe but then when told doesn't follow through.

He is working with his therapist on the "why" of the affair which I think we both need to move forward. Without the "why" we can't make sure it doesn't happen again. But I don't get to see what he's working on (homework) and am not present for the appointments. He does share some but unless I record it I only get half, if that.

I am not NUTZ
This situation IS horrible.

BS37NF #2711594 03/10/13 11:12 AM
M
M
I do feel angered at the lack of things H is doing. I feel like its not enough. I do beat myself up when I feel this way but have put some coping techniques in place that usually allow me turn that around.

BS3, I would agree that he is not doing enough. He is not doing anything actually that would save your marriage. In order to save your marriage, the first step has to be to end all contact. That has not happened. He can see her every day at work. Every day he is triggered and you are triggered. The conditions that led to the affair are still present.

This is like the "recovering" alcoholic going into the bar every day. He never recovers because he continues to have the occasional drink and by staying in the bar, alcohol stays top of mind. He remains obsessed with alcohol and still has an occasional drink. Pretty soon he is drunk again. That is where your marriage is. Your H can hook up with the OW every day at work.

He is working with his therapist on the "why" of the affair which I think we both need to move forward. Without the "why" we can't make sure it doesn't happen again.

This is a distraction from working on solutions to your crisis.

Originally Posted by Dr Bill Harley, clinical psychologist
An analysis of the wayward spouse's childhood or emotional state of mind in an effort to discover why he or she would have an affair is distracting and unnecessary. It takes precious time away from finding the real solutions. I know why people have affairs: We are all wired for it. Given certain conditions, we would all do it. Given other conditions, however, none of us would do it. So the goal of the first step is to discover the conditions that made the affair possible and eliminate them.
here

We already know why your husband had an affair: he has pisspoor boundaries around women and works in an environment that is conducive to affairs. His ENVIRONMENT [a gym] is the condition that led to an affair. Change the environment and you will affair proof your marriage. He doesn't need to go to therapy to find this out.

Bs3, you can lead your marriage out of the ditch YOURSELF much more effectively than all of these "counselors" put together if you will follow this plan.

Exposure 101

BS37NF #2711632 03/10/13 04:57 PM
N
N
We have told all of our friends, co-workers, bosses, neighbors, basically everyone except our children (16 & 14).

All right, time to tell the children. And have you made any attempts to expose to POSOW's family and friends? This would be vital. If WH starts with the "Why would we want to hurt her....?" crap, then you'll know his feelings are still with her, and he's just diddling you along into an FR.

B
BS37NF Offline OP
OP Offline
B
H has agreed to write a NC letter and I just sent an exposure letter to OW ex? (I hope)

Had a discussion on telling the children which is recommended on exposing the affair. However, H is saying that the affair is over. I have all snooping techniques in place (BrainHurts) email, fb, cell phone and iPad passwords and recovery, all friends, family, supervisors and bosses and a ton of support, Short of a go pro to define his whereabouts at all times, I think I've got it covered.

I'm reluctant to tell them. Both my children are gifted and very smart. They have been told that we are going through some issues and if they have any questions they should come to us. They usually do but kids are still kids.

My reluctance lies with H. He doesn't want to withdrawal and its taken two weeks to get to the point of having some hope. Of not focusing on what his relationship with the kids will be but what ours is going to be.

I don't want to take two steps back.

On the other side, I feel they deserve to know. They are 17 & 14 and believe if they had the choice they may wish to have never known.

B
BS37NF Offline OP
OP Offline
B

All right, time to tell the children. And have you made any attempts to expose to POSOW's family and friends? This would be vital. If WH starts with the "Why would we want to hurt her....?" crap, then you'll know his feelings are still with her, and he's just diddling you along into an FR.

H is not against telling the children. Just knows it is going to hurt. Both them and himself and me. Feeling hopefully tonight because at least it was a discussion. And I have yet to make up my mind as well.

Also hopefully because when asked if he would write a NC letter there was no hesitation, just a simple yes and that good enough for me as long as he follows through.

BS37NF #2711659 03/10/13 10:39 PM
M
M
It should be pointed out that there is no point to sending a no contact letter if he goes to work with her every day. Your marriage can not even BEGIN to recover until and unless he leaves that job. In fact, Dr Harley would advise you to separate from him if he has not ended all contact in 3 weeks.

What is being done to find another job?

And of course it is wrong to lie to your children about the affair. When they find out - and they will - they will not appreciate the dishonesty.

But again, this is HOPELESS unless he leaves the job. You are in a false recovery.

Exposure 101

M
M
Is this the 3rd or 4th affair?

Exposure 101

J
J
My children were much younger and i exposed to them.
It is a learning experience.
So they know to avoid adultery in their lives.

J
J
Your husband is a part time trainer at a gym?
He needs to quit that job too.
All of his affairs are workplace affairs.

This is a way of life for him.

M
M
Since he has such poor boundaries around women, he should seek out other career options. His type of position is prone to affairs. As you have learned the hard way.

In order to recover it will take a dramatic and radical 180 degree change in his lifestyle, especially his career. Without that, I assure you that your future will be very much like your past.

Exposure 101

B
BS37NF Offline OP
OP Offline
B
H's career is not a personal trainer. He is a Chef. He works P/T as a trainer twice a week, for approx. 2 hours each day. H has no requirement for him to have contact with OW at his career. They do not work in the same department. Although they work for the same company (approx. 3800 employees) all of his meetings where they may be attempted to make contact are optional for H. He is a senior in this company and can send a subordinate in his place. All work place e-mails are already directed through another contact.

I believe through contacts at said work place as well as cell and iPad recovery software that there has been NC since the end of week 1. I will be vigilant in the follow-up of this.

What is being done to find another job?

My opinion is that he became a personal trainer to remove himself from the affair environment but d-day happened before the PA ended.

There have been discussions on H finding another job. This is not a minimum wage job. It will require the selling of the house and/or moving of school districts. Both children go to high ranking schools at the moment. Finically security is one of my EN. Our house is not just a house it is a home. We can find another one, which is easier said than done. But it will take time. H has independently pulled and shared job postings with me and as of yet there is little to choose from. Not an excuse, just a fact frown
I am actively trying to get out of false recovery.

As for the telling of the children, it will happen.

This would be the 3rd affair. 1-ONS. 1-EA. 1-PA

Last edited by BS37NF; 03/10/13 11:13 PM.
BS37NF #2711678 03/11/13 04:44 AM
H
H
(...)
They do not work in the same department. Although they work for the same company (approx. 3800 employees) all of his meetings where they may be attempted to make contact are optional for H. He is a senior in this company and can send a subordinate in his place.
(...)
My opinion is that he became a personal trainer to remove himself from the affair environment but d-day happened before the PA ended.
(...)
I am actively trying to get out of false recovery.

As for the telling of the children, it will happen.

This would be the 3rd affair. 1-ONS. 1-EA. 1-PA

I'm sorry to say, that you sound overly optimistic.

1. The fact that he is in the position to avoid her if he wants to has not stopped him from continuing his affair with her in the past. It also means, that (should he really have stopped seeing her in the first place, which is very doubtful) should he ever feel like it, e.g. if the two of you are haing a difficult time, he can -snap!- make her come back. That is not exactly an advantage...

2. The entire idea that he was trying to escape from the affair by starting to work in her gym as a personal trainer is reversing reality. It rather sounds he took up that job in order to spend more time with her.

God bless, Happyheart

me, DH
all the children
B
BS37NF Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Originally Posted by happyheart
2. The entire idea that he was trying to escape from the affair by starting to work in her gym as a personal trainer is reversing reality. It rather sounds he took up that job in order to spend more time with her.

OW came to the gym after both H and I were established there. OW does not attend any of his classes and I have been assured that OW will not be renewing her package.

I am optomistic or trying to be
I'm trying to make this work and I believe H is too.
H has express a desire to quit the personal training as well but if H doesn't teach I don't go (deal struck with owners) so it feels like yet another punishment for me.

Last edited by BS37NF; 03/11/13 07:23 AM.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 251 guests, and 66 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Confused1980, Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms
71,840 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation