Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
M
M
So my resentment over that this week combined with is refusal to have survaillance, has drained my love bank again.
Your resentment is grounded in more than frustration over surveillance. You are living on slippery ground, not knowing what the man you are married to is up to. What a terrible way to live! frown I can't imagine living with that as long as you have done so.

D-Day 2-10-2009
Fully Recovered and Better Than Ever!
Thank you Marriage Builders!

B
B
Here's a good show of the damage an EA does.

Radio Clip of the Damage of an EA
Segment #2
Segment #3
Segment #4

Tell us what you think.

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both
Blended Family with 7 kids between us
Too much hurt and pain on both sides that my brain hurts just thinking about it all.

M
M
Originally Posted by Frau
It would have been easier for me to expose earlier on without his agreement, when I was still very angry about the deception. But I've signed the marriage recovery contract and I've started to fall in love with him again. I don't want to start our new life together with a massive LB against his will and a deception.

Snooping on your husband is not a lovebuster because he won't know about it. And exposure might be a lovebuster, but it is not supposed to be done with your husband's knowledge or agreement. All that does is cause unnecessary conflict before the exposure.

Radical honesty the POJA is not supposed to be used in the case of infidelity or abuse. Using them in that context is harmful to your marriage and Dr Harley never intended for his POJA and PORH to be used that way. They are concepts that should be used to help the marriage, not harm it.

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

B
B

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both
Blended Family with 7 kids between us
Too much hurt and pain on both sides that my brain hurts just thinking about it all.

M
M
I guess I would find it hard to expose because it makes him look bad and reflects on me.

No, it reflects on him. He surely didn't consult you and ask your opinion of the affair before starting it. It wasn't your decision. You didn't get any input, and you didn't help out. It was all his, right? Why would that reflect on you?

If you are serious about saving your marriage, you can't get it all on this forum. You've got to listen to the Marriage Builders Radio show, every day. Install the app!

Married to my radiant trophy wife, Prisca, 19 years. Father of 8.
Attended Marriage Builders weekend in May 2010

If your wife is not on board with MB, some of my posts to other men might help you.
F
Frau Offline OP
OP Offline
F
Originally Posted by 20YearHistory
What were the conditions that allowed the A to occur? Was it your computer? DR Harley has made recommendations for people to give up computers, smart phones etc. to R.

Eliminate ALL the conditions that made the A possible.

What makes you feel safe? Make a list and impliment them.

What was he getting outside of the relationship that he wasn't getting from you? Have you addressed these things?

Are you spending 15hrs/wk UA meeting each others most important EN's to restore and maintain romantic love?

MB is not a cafeteria plan for it to work. It is all or nothing if you want to have a great M.

What were the conditions that allowed the A to occur? Was it your computer? DR Harley has made recommendations for people to give up computers, smart phones etc. to R.

Eliminate ALL the conditions that made the A possible.

What makes you feel safe? Make a list and impliment them.

What was he getting outside of the relationship that he wasn't getting from you? Have you addressed these things?

Are you spending 15hrs/wk UA meeting each others most important EN's to restore and maintain romantic love?

MB is not a cafeteria plan for it to work. It is all or nothing if you want to have a great M.

[/quote]
Thank you for taking the time to reply to me. I have listened to the radio clips, which I found very helpful, and tried to find some more info on exposure so I can understand the reason for it because I haven't found it in SAA yet. What I found in an article on this website is this:

"Another exception to the Policy of Joint Agreement when confronting infidelity is what I've called, "exposure." I highly recommend that while in plan A you tell your friends, family, the lover's spouse, your pastor, and possibly your wayward spouse's employer that your spouse is having an affair. It's a very controversial recommendation, and a clear violation of the Policy of Joint Agreement. But I've found exposure to be one of the most effective ways to end an affair quickly while in plan A."

also:

"An unfaithful spouse almost always considers such exposure to be a worse act of betrayal than their affair itself. But the alternative, helping the unfaithful spouse to keep the affair a secret, is enabling the addiction, prolonging the agony."

It looks to me like Dr Harley recommends exposure as an aid to help end the affair when in plan A, an aid to end the A quickly. Also, Mrs Harley says on one of the radio clips (about the H having EA) that the caller has only told their parents and a friend and she recommends for her to also tell their children. Mrs Harley does not say to the caller to tell ALL their friends and extended family.

When I think of exposing my H EA to all our friends and family, I don't want the reason to be to shame him which I think would be unhelpful. Since he has already stopped any contact with the OW, it would not serve the above stated reason to help end the A. My H hasn't had any difficulty since contact ended. He says he hasn't missed her at all and doesn't think of her. (Already before the NC in his last email he apologized to the OW for not writing since her last visit, which was 10 weeks before that email. In her last 2 visits she hadn't come across that well (I witnessed it) and I think he was losing interest in her.) So I'm not worried that he is still in contact with her. The risk wouldn't be worth the gain for him I think as our relationship is so much better now. (He's gone from SF once a month to daily and much better than before. I doubt he'd risk that.)

Dr Harley says in the radio clip that he recommends exposure because it's being honest. I can see that as a good reason to let our friends and family know. I can see that pretending to others that all is well when it is not, is not honest and it would explain to them why we are recommending marriagebuilders to them (which we have). It will also make it easier for me to explain to them why we have changed our minds about having opp sex friends as most of them still think it's ok. So now that I can see a good purpose for exposure, I am happier about it.

The conditions that allowed the A to develop were several. I didn't understand that "trying to improve my H" is disrespectful and would frequently criticize my H's expressions in his emails to his children when I felt the way he'd written it could offend them. My intentions were good but misguided and all it did was make my H write his emails to them from work. I think that's part of the reason he got into writing more and more emails from work, where I wouldn't see the content. He only told me this recently though, when we were reading Dr Harley's books and working through things. Also, he's always liked responding to letters immediately so when he had a minute after work, it was natural for him to write an answer straight after getting an email. In his former job it was normal for him to stay on at work and do preps. So that is how it started. It became a habit. He could have had the correspondence with the 2nd OW out in the open because he kept all her emails in his email programme anyway, where I could have read them anytime and there was nothing in them I couldn't have read.

Another condition was that I felt neglected and was often in withdrawal, leading my own life looking after the kids and homeschooling my youngest. I still loved my H but wasn't in love. Somewhat disillusioned. So I wasn't interested in what he was doing. I feel ashamed now that I didn't even read his story that got 3rd prize in a competition until now. Because my love for him was low, it didn't bother me that much that he had these other female friendships. I knew he corresponded with them as the occasional email from the OW came into our family inbox. The 2nd OW's contact I thought was only via FB but I never checked his FB page because I wasn't interested. ( I knew his password and could've checked. He sometimes showed us photos of the 2nd OW's outdoor trips). Now I have learned that it is important for me to show interest in my H work and his interests, even if I don't find them as interesting. He's doing a different work now and the work computers are monitored by the employer, so there is little chance he'd use it for private correspondence. Also, I know his password and can log in to his work email from home here, which I do regularly now.

For a while both my H and I couldn't figure out what emotional needs of his were being met by the OW but after listening to the radio clips I now have a better idea. One of the callers asks about the difference between attraction and being in love. Dr Harley explains that attraction is when emotional needs, e.g. conversation, admiration or attractiveness are being met. Attraction is not necessary love. 'In love' is incredible attraction and Dr Harley says you know if you are in love as you'll notice that you think about the other person all the time, get a "lift" when you hear their voice etc.

My H didn't think about the OW all the time. There were often months between emails. So I believe him when he says he wasn't in love with her but he felt attraction for her. His need for conversation was being met which is ironic because I complain all the time that he doesn't talk to me enough. But what he likes best is to express himself in writing and he opens up in writing much more easily than face to face. He would never have said some of the things in person that he wrote in the emails. So that is another condition and one that is now eliminated.

The one thing all his female friends have in common is an interest in the outdoors and their letters are full of stories of their trips and "adventures". The correspondence with the OW actually started because she sent him an article for a mag he was editing. She was also the ex-partner of a mutual friend which is how they met in person. Then she sent him writing assignments to critique. She expressed herself very openly in her stories ( a bit like in "Castaway") and I now know that it sends a different message to males when someone shares their private thoughts with them. It is so normal amongst women, but men don't really share their personal thoughts and feelings, so when a female shares her feelings and thoughts with them, it makes it very intimate for them. They misinterpret this openness with the female being interested in them.

Since my H knew that I would not like some of these stories that had some sexuell content, he asked her to only mail them to his work. Big mistake. The privacy of their emails then meant he could express himself more freely. Her life is full of outrages happenings so my H found her emails very interesting. So the attraction was the content of her stories, her sharing her private thoughts and feelings and her being into climbing which is what he loves too. (Thankfully I never allowed him to go climbing with her).

I also had some light depression at times and wasn't much fun to be around sometimes. There were his kids from the start who got priority, then our kids. Work came first and he would take on extra work (Indep. behaviour) and we would each babysit while doing separate activities. I have always been unhappy that we have no rec. activity in common that we both really love. That is our biggest challenge still.

Both of us have contributed to how things happened because we didn't know any better and I am so grateful to Dr Harley for his knowledge. I found it interesting to hear that Mrs Harley used exactly the same argument as my H when I was unhappy with his friendship with the OW. The radio clip was about a caller who asked how to keep business talks with opp sex coworkers on business and not personal. Mrs Harley raised the issue what if the spouse is against talking with the coworker at all, as some spouses are especially jealous, (meaning jealous even if there is no reason). That is exactly what my H said. That it was my insecurity that made me jealous even though there was no grounds for it. I think society as a whole has that attitude that it's the insecurity of a spouse that is the problem. But Dr Harley says it doesn't matter wether there is a reason for the jealousy or not. What matters is how the other spouse feels. "We should not do anything that makes our spouse unhappy." If I had known that earlier, I could have simply said to my H that his friendships made me unhappy and that would have been reason enough. Of course now we would not have opp sex friends at all. Thanks to Dr Harley we know now.

We are spending 15 h UA together now but we need to find more activities we both enjoy since that's in both of our top 5 needs and was the reason he finds other females attractive. My H says I fulfil his emotional needs and I can tell as he's been very happy unless I'm talking about the EA which I did far too much in the beginning. Dr Harley advises to put our resentment on hold but he didn't say how to. I found it incredibly difficult as it felt like I was rewarding my H with lots of SF, affection and taking an interest in everything he did. I had also lost 20kg (with the Dr McDougall Starch diet. 15kg in the last 2 years and 5 kgs in the first 2 weeks after Dday) and he finds me very attractive now, although that wasn't a big reason for the EA because I was overweight when he married me. Since my H told me about his temptation with the internet I have only left him alone twice briefly but we have now agreed he needs to not be in the house if I have to leave him again. I didn't know about his problem until he told me, so he was honest. I cycle with him to work and collect him again and that way I have met lots of his coworkers which are, unfortunately, mostly female. Yesterday I couldn't be home from my dd sports game before him, so he stayed on at work so he wasn't home alone. He tells me what he talks about with his coworkers and has learned to avoid private matters.

Another big contributing factor was that we had shifted his computer into our bedroom as my homeschooling interfered with his work (he was working from home then). The privacy there meant he could easily write his emails and with his domain name came a separate server which he used for his secret emails. The computer, a mac, is now back in the lounge since he's doing work away from home now. When he is not at work, he spends ALL his time around me. I even cycle to the dentist with him, although I don't always collect him. He always texts when he leaves there. He used to do outdoor trips without me but doesn't anymore. He's also willing to give up climbing but at the moment is still taking our daughter sometimes.

We have always had joined bank accounts and I see how he spends his money. We won't spend nights apart anymore. (We sometimes went to stay with our families.) So I think we cover what Dr Harley has outlined, except for "allow for technical accountability (the computer)". I will swap phones with him randomly, which he has agreed to and will keep his phone during the month that the OW usually comes here. He still has his separate work email on his computer but now that it is in the lounge, I check it every morning before he gets up ( I nearly always wake up way before him and I checked in the middle of the night after he first sent the NC email. I couldn't sleep well then anyway and was often up at night reading marriagebuilders).

I will follow your advise re keylogger. To start with I'll say that we wait with buying the keylogger until we have more money (which is true), then I will just not mention it again. He will not ask for it to be installed out of his own accord. So I will just instal it without saying anything. He knows I would find installing it by myself difficult, which is true. My younger dd has agreed to help me instal it and she's also loaning me the money so he can't see it coming out of our bank account. I tried to talk my older dd into buying it with her credit card but she doesn't want to be involved in the deception. By chance I discovered the other day that our debit credit card is not loaded onto his side of the log-in to the bank website so I'm planning to use that card to order it. I'm planning to have it send to my older dd address though, even though I haven't asked her. I can't think of any other way as I would never know when it arrives here from overseas and my H often checks the mail or the courier arrives before he leaves for work. I don't want to download it because I don't know if I can figure out how to disable the anti spy protection. My computer is in the lounge too but if he doesn't know that I've installed a keylogger into his computer, he won't use my one. I've been on a steep learning curve with technology in these last 3 months. I guess that's another good thing coming out of this.

I'm sorry this is such a novel. I've cut out things already but it's still way too long. Thank you for taking the time to read and for your advise. I wish I had figured out how to use this discussion board earlier. My marriage would be in shambles without Dr Harley. I can't wait for his new book to come out in Oct. If you can see anything else I need to do, please let me know. Much appreciated.

me: FBW, 52 y
FWH: 57 y, EA
D-D 14 Feb 2013
M: 25 years
DD 23 y
DD 14 y
H: divorced, 3 adult c
J
J
You should expose his affairs to friends and relatives and the OWs friends and relatives.
You should also demand that he take a lie detector test to find out about other affairs.
Don't tell him about exposure just do it And schedule a polygraph.

M
M
I have signed the marriage recovery agreement and don't want to be dishonest. I feel it would undermine the relationship with my H which has improved in a lot of ways since implementing the changes.
May I ask what the Marriage Recovery Agreement is? I've been around here for a few years, and I don't believe I've heard this phrase before. I'm puzzled as to why you are loyal to this Agreement when your WH has demonstrated that he is not loyal to the contract he entered into years ago when you said your marriage vows togther. You understand that you entered into an agreement at that point, correct?

Also, if you answered this I missed it: what were the conditions under which you and your husband met? Where either of you married at that time?

D-Day 2-10-2009

F
Frau Offline OP
OP Offline
F
Originally Posted by maritalbliss
I have signed the marriage recovery agreement and don't want to be dishonest. I feel it would undermine the relationship with my H which has improved in a lot of ways since implementing the changes.
May I ask what the Marriage Recovery Agreement is? I've been around here for a few years, and I don't believe I've heard this phrase before. I'm puzzled as to why you are loyal to this Agreement when your WH has demonstrated that he is not loyal to the contract he entered into years ago when you said your marriage vows togther. You understand that you entered into an agreement at that point, correct?

Also, if you answered this I missed it: what were the conditions under which you and your husband met? Where either of you married at that time?

The marital recovery agreement is in the back of the SAA book.

Sorry, I forgot to answer your question. I was single when I met my husband. His ex-wife had left him for (one of ) the OM and had filed for divorce. They had been living apart for over a year. After I met him, I went back to my home country and worked there for a year. We corresponded by (snail) letters during that year and he came to my country once for 2 weeks in the middle of that year. My H and his Ex signed the divorce papers during that year, before I came back here to live and marry him.

D-D 14 Feb 2013
DD 23 y
DD 14 y
M
M
The marital recovery agreement is in the back of the SAA book.
Thank you. I was under the impression that this was something the two of you had drafted. I don't recall where Dr. H has promoted disclosing your snooping tools. I'll have to get my SAA back out.

D-Day 2-10-2009

M
M
I'm planning to have it send to my older dd address though, even though I haven't asked her. I can't think of any other way as I would never know when it arrives here from overseas and my H often checks the mail or the courier arrives before he leaves for work. I don't want to download it because I don't know if I can figure out how to disable the anti spy protection. My computer is in the lounge too but if he doesn't know that I've installed a keylogger into his computer, he won't use my one. I've been on a steep learning curve with technology in these last 3 months. I guess that's another good thing coming out of this.

Frau, the best way to do this is to download it on your computer. Get one that is unlikely to be detected by your anti-spy protection, such as spectorpro or eblaster.

Which computer does he use the most?

Your post is so long that it is hard to follow your story and keep the facts straight.

Maritalbliss, she understands now that she is not supposed to tell her husband about her snooping.

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

M
M
spectorpro can be used on a computer that you have daily access to. Eblaster will email the logs to another email address. For example, if you

r husband uses your computer while you are at work, you might want to get eblaster so it can email you hourly reports. Otherwise, with spectorpro, you have to actually get on your computer to read the reports.

The website is here: spectorsoft.com

Here is another one that looks really good: http://www.webwatchernow.com/?refID=lnkshr&siteID=zvU55gwyfUs-c1oCAuy45Lrko2elT5vBOA
Here is

Exposure 101

M
M
And Frau, set up a new email account that your WH doesn't know about to order the keylogger. You don't want your WH to see the reports if he gets on your regular email account. Spectorpro also sends info on updates. Use your new email account only for the keylogger. That way you can be give him access to your 'normal' account and there won't be anything on it.

D-Day 2-10-2009

F
Frau Offline OP
OP Offline
F
Originally Posted by maritalbliss
And Frau, set up a new email account that your WH doesn't know about to order the keylogger. You don't want your WH to see the reports if he gets on your regular email account. Spectorpro also sends info on updates. Use your new email account only for the keylogger. That way you can be give him access to your 'normal' account and there won't be anything on it.
The way our email works is that both my and my H's macs download the mail from the server into all the users email apps. So whatever comes into my mail acc also goes into his. But he also has another server which he uses for his business mail. That doesn't load mail into my computer but can probably do so. I'll investigate. We don't have other mail accounts like Gmail etc. but I've got an yahoogroups acc that I use for my homeschooling. I've reactivated the yahoo mail of that acc and could use it to have the reports send to. But I have access to my H's computer for the 4 days he is at work and so could choose a keylogger that doesn't send info out.
Whatever I buy will have to work on a mac. I prefer if it didn't send out the reports. He goes to work on Wed so I'll see if I can instal it then with my dd help. My computer knowledge really isn't very good, but I'm trying to catch up.

D-D 14 Feb 2013
DD 23 y
DD 14 y
M
M
Frau, the whole point is to get reports. You need to figure out a way to get those reports.

D-Day 2-10-2009

K
K
Frau, just set up a yahoo or gmail email acct to get the reports in.

Me: 34 BH
Her: 31 FWW
DD (6)
DS (3)
D-day 2/2/13

F
Frau Offline OP
OP Offline
F

Which computer does he use the most?

Your post is so long that it is hard to follow your story and keep the facts straight.

[/quote]
He uses only his one.

I'm sorry about my long post. I tried to edit it to shorten but that option has disappeared. I'll try to be shorter from now on.

I've been finding it hard to come here. It feels like I've just been getting a telling off.
I've been depressed before this crisis and still have to work out what to do with myself when my youngest leaves home. I lost interest in my hobbies a few years back. I still don't know what my H and I can do together recreationally as I'm not very confident and tend to talk myself out of trying new things. All those problems are still there to be solved.

On Fridays I meet my H for lunch for 1.5h and in the eve we have another 2 h UA when our dd is away. Even though I talk too much, even I run out of things to talk about by the 2nd hour of the eve. I don't like watching films much as I'm sensitive and can't stand the tension and it's not an activity focussed on each other anyway. I play games only to please my children. Sitting next to each other each reading a book is not doing things together. Sometimes we go for a hike but it's not a regular thing and depends on the weather. I cycle to work with him which covers our exercise. My H has lots of hobbies and interests but I have few and have lost interest in those the last few years.

What do other people do in their UA time?

D-D 14 Feb 2013
DD 23 y
DD 14 y
M
M
He uses only his one.
Okay, Frau, let's go a step at a time.

1. Set up a gmail account that your WH doesn't know about to be able to order the keylogger.
2. Download the keylogger to his computer.

Let us know as soon as this is done.

D-Day 2-10-2009

F
Frau Offline OP
OP Offline
F
Originally Posted by MelodyLane
spectorpro can be used on a computer that you have daily access to. Eblaster will email the logs to another email address. For example, if you

r husband uses your computer while you are at work, you might want to get eblaster so it can email you hourly reports. Otherwise, with spectorpro, you have to actually get on your computer to read the reports.

The website is here: spectorsoft.com

Here is another one that looks really good: http://www.webwatchernow.com/?refID=lnkshr&siteID=zvU55gwyfUs-c1oCAuy45Lrko2elT5vBOA
Here is
I've come across a review about keyloggers that says many of the keylogger companies spy on you through their programmes. Is that true?

Also, spectorsoft looks like it works on a mac and doesn't send the data away. I'm not in North America. I presume I can order online and not through the phone number shown and pay using a credit card? I don't have paypal (only my H).

D-D 14 Feb 2013
DD 23 y
DD 14 y
M
M
I've been depressed before this crisis and still have to work out what to do with myself when my youngest leaves home. I lost interest in my hobbies a few years back. I still don't know what my H and I can do together recreationally as I'm not very confident and tend to talk myself out of trying new things. All those problems are still there to be solved.

Frau, I am so sorry. hug But we can help you with this. Dr Harley says that the #1 reason women are depressed is due to their marriages. IF that is the cause here, and I suspect it is, the program can turn this around. You seem to be very diligent and very thorough and that trait will help you immensely in using this program.

On Fridays I meet my H for lunch for 1.5h and in the eve we have another 2 h UA when our dd is away. Even though I talk too much, even I run out of things to talk about by the 2nd hour of the eve. I don't like watching films much as I'm sensitive and can't stand the tension and it's not an activity focussed on each other anyway. I play games only to please my children. Sitting next to each other each reading a book is not doing things together. Sometimes we go for a hike but it's not a regular thing and depends on the weather. I cycle to work with him which covers our exercise. My H has lots of hobbies and interests but I have few and have lost interest in those the last few years.

The best way to achieve this is to sit down and schedule out 4 4 hour dates for the week. Ideally, these dates should be spent out of the home at a time of the day when you are both energetic. Those dates should be spent meeting the top 4 intimate emotional needs of affection, conversation, SF and rec companionship. Does he have any hobbies that interest you enough to join him?

What kinds of things did you enjoy doing on dates when you were dating?

Exposure 101

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
1 members (1 invisible), 138 guests, and 61 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Comfortable Shoe, Sourdine, Abela Laye, Ardent Center, Lost@1969
71,846 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation