Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 11 of 22 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 21 22
Messy #2898552 05/10/17 10:06 AM
M
M
Messy, the big problem I see is you don't know the Marriage Builders plan.

The plan actually does work when followed, but you are doing all sorts of other stuff, so I am worried this is not going to end well for you.

If you are serious about saving your marriage, you can't get it all on this forum. You've got to listen to the Marriage Builders Radio show, every day. Install the app!

Married to my radiant trophy wife, Prisca, 19 years. Father of 8.
Attended Marriage Builders weekend in May 2010

If your wife is not on board with MB, some of my posts to other men might help you.
Messy #2898553 05/10/17 10:06 AM
M
M
Originally Posted by Messy
So here's where I need help/advice. WW is still contemplating a separation to ensure she really wants to work to save the marriage. According to SAA this isn't the plan, I'd prefer to spend as much time together as possible per the EPs. However, if WW wants the separation I'm not sure what I should do?

I am catching up, but the reason she wants the "separation" is so she can pursue her affair without your interference.

One of my greatest concerns with your situation is that you don't have good instincts about what is going on around you. We can read your situation and comprehend there is much going on behind the scenes to which you are not privy. People pointed this out from the beginning of your thread. Your IC has no earthly idea what is going on either.

Do you think it is smart to bring your wife here when we tell you to spy on her? When she is in an active affair and wants to separate from you? How in the world do you imagine that is a good idea?

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

Messy #2898554 05/10/17 10:08 AM
M
M
Finally, I want to tell WW about these forums and this thread, I know reading through it will be extremely hard for her based on my up and down emotional rollercoaster, and the fact that my anger and frustration with her was poured out in my posts. Is this good? I think per the PORH it should be done, but I'm new to this.

That is not the PORH. It does not apply to resources that are designed to protect you when there has been adultery or abuse.

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

M
Messy Offline OP
OP Offline
M
I'm following you guys, I see my blind optimism. It's rooted in wanting to pain to go away, so I cling to any optimism I can.

I should add that it is her IC that is advising separation, to create space to think. Also, WW didnt like the counselor who gave us SAA so we don't see that one anymore.

At this point, I'm going to tell her I don't want a separation, and work the list of EPs from SAA.

What else should I do?

Last edited by Messy; 05/10/17 10:21 AM.
Messy #2898556 05/10/17 10:23 AM
M
M
Through our IC's WW and I identified my previous behavior in our physical relationship as emotional abuse. This identification came on the same day the VAR confirmed the active A. I firmly believe I needed to see the extent of my sin and the damage I had caused in order for us to have any hope of healing. So our path before us has 2 massive issues to address.

When I talk to an abuser, I tell them not to be dramatic and poetic when they talk about their abuse, if they want to fix the issue and be sensitive to their victim.

If you are learning Marriage Builders, you know that any time you demand your wife do something she is not enthusiastic about, that is abusive. There shouldn't need to be some big dramatic breakthrough revelation about it - you are trying to win your wife over to this program, so you would never insist she do something she is unenthusiastic about, right? You're not broken and don't need counseling; you just simply knock it off. smile

If you are serious about saving your marriage, you can't get it all on this forum. You've got to listen to the Marriage Builders Radio show, every day. Install the app!

If your wife is not on board with MB, some of my posts to other men might help you.
Messy #2898557 05/10/17 10:28 AM
M
M
At this point, I'm going to tell her I don't want a separation, and work the list of EPs from SAA.

What else should I do?

Originally Posted by markos
Question: are you listening to Dr. Harley's radio show, every day? There's a lot of information and motivation there that you need to stick to the plan and make it work. Steve Harley told me that I needed to "embark on a program of education" about Marriage Builders so that I could get the logic of the plan firmly reinforced in my mind so that I would be able to override my emotional impulses with logic and stick to the plan until it worked.

Also, haven't had much time to listen to the radio broadcast the last few days.

Make time. You don't have time to not sit in class and learn the program, if you want to survive this.

Messy #2898558 05/10/17 10:31 AM
M
M
Don't separate. And sleep in your own bed. She can sleep somewhere else if she wants.

Fire the counselor who suggested "space."

Stop making agreements with your wife. Get moved.

Messy #2898559 05/10/17 10:33 AM
S
S
I should add that it is her IC that is advising separation, to create space to think. Also, WW didnt like the counselor who gave us SAA so we don't see that one anymore.
How very ironic that, after we warned you against your wife seeing an individual counsellor, you wrote, this, in February:

Originally Posted by Messy in February 2017
With regards to the conselor, WW came home very enthusiastic about her, and was very talkative and in a good mood all day, she asked if we could go out for lunch, so we went out and did some shopping together, it ended up being a great day,. Adding in some great family time in the evening and a movie for WW and I. I'm optimistic that this counselor will be a good fit, she has personal history with WW and knows about the issues surrounding the pregnancy at 17. I think why WW needs to deal with it is because she's in this spot of thinking she had always done what "everyone said was best", hence marrying me for financial security etc, it's as if she's having a full blown midlife crisis.

I don't know, I can completely see how counsellors can be bad, in fact we are ending our couples counseling because it was bad, although that's how we found MB, but WW hasn't been this close to her old self in months... Maybe it's helping?
Your wife came home happy from meeting that counsellor, and continued to be happy, because the counsellor validated the thinking that justified her affair. The counsellor, told her that, having felt forced to get married at 17, your wife had never done anything for herself, and now it was "me time". That she had lived her life so far doing what was dutiful, and that now it was time to do what she really wanted to do. The counsellor validated your wife's feelings of "mid-life crisis", and that explanation is almost always a justification for behaving badly and hurting people that are close.

And in all that time she was seeing the counsellor and feeling happier, this wasn't because she was growing closer to you, but because she was continuing the affair, and feeling justified. The affair was "me time".

The counsellor did what counsellors do. We did warn you.

BW
Married 1989
His PA 2003-2006
2 kids.
P
P
Fire the counselor who suggested "space."
This will have to happen before you can recover.

Markos' Wife
FWW - EA
8 kids ...
What to do with an Angry Husband

Prisca #2898561 05/10/17 11:01 AM
M
M
I think that "space" is a cute and trendy buzzword we see from ineffective counselors, but it is nonsensical. No one needs a "space" to be able to think. If that is truly the case, she can go in the bathroom and shut the door or sit out in the garage.

Rather, we happen to know that this request for "space" always applies to waywards who want the freedom to carry on their affair.

Exposure 101

P
P
No one needs a "space" to be able to think. If that is truly the case, she can go in the bathroom and shut the door or sit out in the garage.
That's what I do when I need "space to think." A thirty minute shower does wonders for the mind. The thought of having to tear up my family in order to "have space to think" is absurd; only waywards think and act that way, and it destroys lives.

Markos' Wife
FWW - EA
8 kids ...
What to do with an Angry Husband

Prisca #2898563 05/10/17 11:17 AM
S
S
Originally Posted by Prisca
That's what I do when I need "space to think." A thirty minute shower does wonders for the mind.
My activity of choice is a walk through the park. Clear thinking, the uplift provided by a beautiful and ever-changing landscape, vitamin D for the skin, and exercise, all achieved in less than an hour. And so much more fun than breaking up the family!

BW
Married 1989
His PA 2003-2006
2 kids.
Messy #2898564 05/10/17 11:21 AM
S
S
...the issues surrounding the pregnancy at 17. I think why WW needs to deal with it is because she's in this spot of thinking she had always done what "everyone said was best", hence marrying me for financial security etc, it's as if she's having a full blown midlife crisis
After feeling pressured into marrying you, pregnant at 17, why did she go on to have three more kids?

BW
Married 1989
His PA 2003-2006
2 kids.
Messy #2898565 05/10/17 11:30 AM
S
S
OM is not really an option right now, he as first child due in a month or so, and if they tried to get together both would have to give up literally everything and everyone in their life, so it's impractical,
So he was tom-catting around on his wife while she was pregnant, and even the birth of the baby didn't stop him.

I'm surprised you ever thought it would.

I hope you can see what I'm trying to get you to see; that no external considerations, such as his wife, his PREGNANT wife, or his newborn baby, and no demeanour of hers, such as enthusiasm for family life and a newfound talkativeness, or her tears and rage, anger and self-disgust, and/or a come-to-Jesus breakdown, should be read by you as evidence of anything. In the past, they did not mean that the affair had ended, and they will not necessarily mean that today or tomorrow.

The affair only stands a chance of ending when you move away, and non-contact is possible. If contact is easy, contact will happen, breakdown or no breakdown.

BW
Married 1989
His PA 2003-2006
2 kids.
M
M
Originally Posted by SugarCane
OM is not really an option right now, he as first child due in a month or so, and if they tried to get together both would have to give up literally everything and everyone in their life, so it's impractical,
So he was tom-catting around on his wife while she was pregnant, and even the birth of the baby didn't stop him.

I'm surprised you ever thought it would.

I hope you can see what I'm trying to get you to see; that no external considerations, such as his wife, his PREGNANT wife, or his newborn baby, and no demeanour of hers, such as enthusiasm for family life and a newfound talkativeness, or her tears and rage, anger and self-disgust, and/or a come-to-Jesus breakdown, should be read by you as evidence of anything. In the past, they did not mean that the affair had ended, and they will not necessarily mean that today or tomorrow.

The affair only stands a chance of ending when you move away, and non-contact is possible. If contact is easy, contact will happen, breakdown or no breakdown.

Please save this excellent post because it is the KEY to saving your marriage if that is possible. The fact that you thought the pregnancy of the OM's wife would ever prevent anything [and these other things] supports my point that you don't have good instincts about this and don't quite understand the risk. We can help you, but you have to start taking this more seriously.

Exposure 101

M
M
Originally Posted by Dr. Harley
An analysis of the betrayed spouse's childhood or emotional state of mind in an effort to discover why he or she would have an affair is distracting and unnecessary. It takes precious time away from finding the real solutions.

http://forum.marriagebuilders.com/ubbt/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2002600#Post2002600

markos #2898569 05/10/17 12:18 PM
M
Messy Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Thanks so much for the support today.

Yes, I am on board now, I wanted to believe it wasn't happening. That is making me self analyze so much to wonder why I would avoid obvious signs of continued abuse, and yet continue to believe it wasn't happening... I also don't want to allow any feeling of progress to get my guard down.

Ok, the solution for now is a trip to the mall, WW wanted that space to think today so she went to the mall.

How is the best way to approach implementing EPs? I've just made simple requests so far. Such as, I would like you to consider...

Last edited by Messy; 05/10/17 12:20 PM.
Messy #2898570 05/10/17 12:25 PM
M
M
Ok, the solution for now is a trip to the mall, WW wanted that space to think today so she went to the mall.

That is a great way to hook up with her boyfriend! Might be better to make her "space" in places where she can't hook up? This is some pretty brazen enabling your part. Getting "space" is code word for HOOKING UP WIHT MY BOYFRIEND.

I am not trying to beat you up, but you have to stop being an enabler and start calling BS when it is OBVIOUS she is going to meet her BF. it's time to wake up.

How is the best way to approach implementing EPs? I've just made simple requests so far. Such as, I would like you to consider...

Show her the damn checklist and start making plans.

Exposure 101

Messy #2898571 05/10/17 12:27 PM
M
M
Yes, I am on board now, I wanted to believe it wasn't happening. That is making me self analyze so much to wonder why I would avoid obvious signs of continued abuse, and yet continue to believe it wasn't happening... I also don't want to allow any feeling of progress to get my guard down.

You tell us you are on board now and then proceed to tell us she has just gone to the mall to "get space."

No, you are not on board. You have re-boarded the ENABLING TRAIN.

Exposure 101

M
M
Originally Posted by MelodyLane
I think that "space" is a cute and trendy buzzword we see from ineffective counselors, but it is nonsensical. No one needs a "space" to be able to think. If that is truly the case, she can go in the bathroom and shut the door or sit out in the garage.

Rather, we happen to know that this request for "space" always applies to waywards who want the freedom to carry on their affair.

Exposure 101

Page 11 of 22 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 21 22

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 1,079 guests, and 45 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Mike69, petercgeelan, Zorya, Reyna98, Nofoguy
71,829 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation