Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
mommaelain #2899753 06/13/17 12:50 PM
S
S

But this

Originally Posted by mommaelain
I want God to be happy with me, so I go and minister to homeless so as not to be sent out like the goats in the Bible.

does not square with this:

I agree that we cannot be saved by works, only be the grace of God. There is nothing we can do to earn it.

Dr. Harley's advice very beautifully parallel the Bible in 100's of more ways than he explicitly lays out on this site.

Just like we can't "giver" our way into a relationship with God, we can't "giver" our way into relationships here either.

All of our righteousnesses are as filthy rags to God. Romans 3 says there is none righteous, no not one and then goes on to explain that our righteousness is only through Christ.

Do you see that God puts no value on your giver with respect to your salvation? Your giver earns you nothing with God! Regardless of the extent of your giver and magnificent works, you will still be sent away on that day if you don't KNOW God through Jesus Christ.

In parallel (marriage is often described in the Bible as a parallel to our relationship with Christ), many spouses who are the recipients of another spouse's sacrificial giver on the level of what you have described have no earthly idea that the other person is sacrificing and have therefore no gratitude or appreciation for all this sacrifice. And, if they were informed of it, they wouldn't want it!

I cannot tell if this is all exactly the case with your husband; it is just clear to me from your description there is a lot of giving going on that he isn't aware of.

Are you living in a covenant with death? With bitterness in your marriage? Read Isaiah 28. The bed will not be long enough or the covers wide enough for you to ever find comfort in that life. In Isaiah 28, God tells you to take a stick and beat these conditions out of your life.

Isaiah 28:29 "This [command] also cometh forth from the Lord of hosts, which is wonderful in counsel, and excellent in working."
Sunnytimes #2899754 06/13/17 01:11 PM
S
S
And worse yet, you experience a sort of panic if you don't give others 'enough' (unknown to them).

A sort of panic that is running your life and ruining your marriage.

I hope you do practice relaxing at the first sense of stress and redirecting your reaction patterns by purposefully distracting yourself from the destructive response, like we discussed above.

Are you living in a covenant with death? With bitterness in your marriage? Read Isaiah 28. The bed will not be long enough or the covers wide enough for you to ever find comfort in that life. In Isaiah 28, God tells you to take a stick and beat these conditions out of your life.

Isaiah 28:29 "This [command] also cometh forth from the Lord of hosts, which is wonderful in counsel, and excellent in working."
Sunnytimes #2899756 06/13/17 01:35 PM
M
OP Offline
M
Originally Posted by Sunnytimes
And worse yet, you experience a sort of panic if you don't give others 'enough' (unknown to them).

A sort of panic that is running your life and ruining your marriage.

I hope you do practice relaxing at the first sense of stress and redirecting your reaction patterns by purposefully distracting yourself from the destructive response, like we discussed above.

I will try. Thank you.

mommaelain #2900030 06/22/17 05:02 PM
B
B
Dr. HARLEY addressed my question today. They still say 15 hours away is the way to go but you cannot discuss your tragedies. That leaves us in silence at restaurants. I have 12 hour drive each way coming up with him by ourselves for a trip in a few weeks. I'm not looking forward to it.
Radio Clip of mommaelain's question
Segment 2
Segment 3

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both
Blended Family with 7 kids between us
Too much hurt and pain on both sides that my brain hurts just thinking about it all.

Sunnytimes #2900580 07/08/17 02:25 PM
F
F
May I ask for the information on the Giver/Taker? I am trying to better understand how to control AO as my husband and I are often triggering anger in a downward spiral.

Tx

BW 51, 1st Marriage (me)
WH 51, 3rd Marriage
Married 12 yrs.
1 child

My head is spinning with the lies and deception. Separated but I'm still trying.....
FLgirl55 #2900586 07/09/17 06:10 AM
L
L
Originally Posted by gagirl66
May I ask for the information on the Giver/Taker? I am trying to better understand how to control AO as my husband and I are often triggering anger in a downward spiral.

Tx

Your AOs are not directly related to your Giver and Taker. They are an immature reaction to conflict (think tantrums and two year olds). You 'control' your AOs by no longer having them. It is a bad habit that can build over time as a way of punishing your spouse for not doing what you want him to. You need to learn to discuss the issue that caused the conflict like a grownup and negotiate a solution. Sometimes that needs to be done later when the crisis is over. If that is the case, leave the scene of the crime until you can do that.

You mention your husband having AOs too. You cannot control someone else, only yourself. But, once you have cleaned up your side of the street, tell him that his AOs upset you. Then at the next AO say nothing but leave the room. Later tell him that he has a choice; stop the AOs or go into anger management. If he says he will try to stop, tell him that this is a very dangerous choice because if he fails, he will be sleeping at his mother's house. Either he can stop by himself or he cannot, no half way.

3 adult children
Divorced - he was a serial adulterer
Now remarried, thank you MB
(formerly lied_to_again)
FLgirl55 #2900588 07/09/17 11:04 AM
M
M
Originally Posted by gagirl66

Tx

Angry outbursts have to be eliminated first. You can't negotiate in the face of angry outbursts. Check out this thread: http://forum.marriagebuilders.com/ubbt/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2603602#Post2603602

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 514 guests, and 50 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation