Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
O
OP Offline
O
**EDIT**

I am curious to get a different perspective, and appreciate any time or help you can offer.

One big difference between the sites is the number of people here who say to expose the affair. While I have done that, I am no longer looking to "tell" on her. My in laws definitely don't know the extent of what she is doing, and I have not spoken with them in a few weeks. Before a few weeks ago, I talked to them several times a week, in person and on the phone. My WW is trying hard to get them "on her side".

Last edited by Denali; 05/29/18 01:10 PM. Reason: TOS removing link to other website

H 32
W 27
BD 3/12/18
Joined Forum 5-18
LRT began 5-4-18
OM discovered 3-20-18

Married 2 years
Together 6 years
B
B
Welcome to MB and sorry for what has brought you here. First thing you will find here at MB that is different from those other sites is that there is a plan here. Dr. Harley has a proven track record for saving marriages.

You say you have exposed. Who all have you exposed to? Who is the OM?

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both
Blended Family with 7 kids between us
Too much hurt and pain on both sides that my brain hurts just thinking about it all.

O
OP Offline
O
I have exposed to my her sister, mother, father, some of my friends, some of my family, one of her friends. But I didn't do it the way this board recommends, I just found this board. She works under the table, nannying. I don't see how I expose further without seeming super controlling over the situation.

The OM is an old friend from high school, they may have dated briefly. Exposing to his family wouldn't do anything, he lives at his parents house, where she has gone to stay several times. They are hoosier to the core, and obviously they don't care.

She tried, just last week, to tell me to coerce my friend into not telling anyone else. In April, she tried manipulating me into not telling anyone.

I know this site will be different, I am interested in hearing the different take. Thanks!

H 32
W 27
BD 3/12/18
Joined Forum 5-18
LRT began 5-4-18
OM discovered 3-20-18

Married 2 years
Together 6 years
C
C
Just want to say I too came from that site, had read the books, even tried coaching, but nothing was working.
I found this site read a ton of posts and started reading Surviving An Affair. I jumped in, a little hesitantly at first but take the advice here. Gather all your evidence as fast as you can and expose to everyone on your side, hers and OM. Leave no one out. Do this fast though the longer it goes on the worse it is for you.

O
OP Offline
O
I dunno, it just seems to create the pursuit/distancer relationship again. It seems like the more I press her, the more she will resist. Telling everyone seems like definite pressure. If she doesn't want to be in the marriage, I cannot force her. So help me out everyone!

H 32
W 27
BD 3/12/18
Joined Forum 5-18
LRT began 5-4-18
OM discovered 3-20-18

Married 2 years
Together 6 years
O
OP Offline
O
Originally Posted by CYk752
Just want to say I too came from that site, had read the books, even tried coaching, but nothing was working.
I found this site read a ton of posts and started reading Surviving An Affair. I jumped in, a little hesitantly at first but take the advice here. Gather all your evidence as fast as you can and expose to everyone on your side, hers and OM. Leave no one out. Do this fast though the longer it goes on the worse it is for you.
How'd that work out for you?

H 32
W 27
BD 3/12/18
Joined Forum 5-18
LRT began 5-4-18
OM discovered 3-20-18

Married 2 years
Together 6 years
B
B
You need to expose on OM�s side. Just because he lives with his parents doesn�t mean they are supporting his affair. He could have lied to his parents and said she was already divorced.

Has anyone from your family or her family said anything to her?

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both
Blended Family with 7 kids between us
Too much hurt and pain on both sides that my brain hurts just thinking about it all.

D
Administrator
Administrator
D
Moderators note: we have removed links to the other website. Please don't post links to websites that are not supported by this forum. Thank you

MBDenali@gmail.com
M
M
Originally Posted by overtherainbow1
**EDIT**

I am curious to get a different perspective, and appreciate any time or help you can offer.

One big difference between the sites is the number of people here who say to expose the affair. While I have done that, I am no longer looking to "tell" on her. My in laws definitely don't know the extent of what she is doing, and I have not spoken with them in a few weeks. Before a few weeks ago, I talked to them several times a week, in person and on the phone. My WW is trying hard to get them "on her side".

Hi overtherainbow, welcome to Marriage Builders. Just so you know, the advice we give here is not our personal opinions, but the views of the founder and clinical psychologist, Dr Bill Harley. I have been on this forum every day for 17 years and am here to tell you that almost every recovered marriage in that time attributes it to exposure. Exposure is the most powerful weapon against infidelity. The reason is because affairs thrive on secrecy. Exposure is like bringing a crowd of people into the crack house to watch the crack heads get high. It ruins the high! It is the same with infidelity. The more people who know, the better. It sounds like you might have a little trickle, trickle, trickle exposure, which is very ineffective. if you want to save your marriage, you need to take this much more seriously.

I suggest you read the link in my signature for Dr Harley's recommendations and best practices. Don't cut corners, my friend. All you do by cutting corners is cut your odds of success.

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

C
C
Originally Posted by CYk752
How'd that work out for you?

You can read through my thread on this page. My wife and I had barely spoken in 3 months and she had been all but out the door. I exposed the affair fully and within a couple days she was talking (or rather yelling) either way we're communicating now with what looks like a possibility of staying together and building a better marriage.
How that happens is why I'm still here. I'm not out of the weeds yet and still have a lot of work to do, not just on her and us but on myself.
Either way since listening to the senior members here and reading SAA and reading through tons of posts I see more results and something actually happening.

O
OP Offline
O
I read almost all of that today, thank you for posting, Melody Lane.

This is what I am trying to understand: it just seems to create the pursuit/distancer relationship again. It seems like the more I press her, the more she will resist. Telling everyone seems like definite pressure. If she doesn't want to be in the marriage, I cannot force her. So help me out everyone!

H 32
W 27
BD 3/12/18
Joined Forum 5-18
LRT began 5-4-18
OM discovered 3-20-18

Married 2 years
Together 6 years
G
G
Exposure puts pressure on the affair. If it would decay in time anyway, it speeds up the process. Affairs and openness don't go well together. If you don't expose and wait for the affair to end (or not), you will suffer longer. You want to minimize damage to you and your marriage, exposure is critical for that.

M
M

This is what I am trying to understand: it just seems to create the pursuit/distancer relationship again. It seems like the more I press her, the more she will resist. Telling everyone seems like definite pressure. If she doesn't want to be in the marriage, I cannot force her. So help me out everyone!

What exposure does is hasten the death of the affair. We are thinking long term, you are thinking very short term.

We are not advising that you "press her;" we are advising you to expose the affair, which hurts it. We never told you to "force her" into a marriage, that is impossible. I think you are drawing incorrect conclusions about the advise based on your own personal biases. My suggestion would be to put aside your own ideas and keep an open mind.

By not exposing, you are enabling the affair because affairs thrive on secrecy. It is hard to save a marriage when you are an enabler. Keeping the secret helps NO ONE in any way.

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

M
M
ITelling everyone seems like definite pressure. !

Yes, this is PRESSURE. It is your job to put MAXIMUM pressure on the affair. A complacent approach to infidelity will get you nowhere and if/when the affair ever ends and your wife sobers up, she will not remember your complacence fondly. She will be grateful that you fought for her.

Exposure 101

O
OP Offline
O
Originally Posted by MelodyLane

What exposure does is hasten the death of the affair. We are thinking long term, you are thinking very short term.

We are not advising that you "press her;" we are advising you to expose the affair, which hurts it. We never told you to "force her" into a marriage, that is impossible. I think you are drawing incorrect conclusions about the advise based on your own personal biases. My suggestion would be to put aside your own ideas and keep an open mind.

By not exposing, you are enabling the affair because affairs thrive on secrecy. It is hard to save a marriage when you are an enabler. Keeping the secret helps NO ONE in any way.
I think my mind is open, I'm asking for everyone here's perspective and I appreciate your response. I didn't expect to get the same perspective I had been getting.

If you haven't seen it yet, I have exposed it to several people, but not using y'alls method - I just found the site today. She has been largely avoiding her folks the last 3 months. We used to see them 1-3 days per week. No she doesn't see them 1-3 per month and they aren't happy about it.

Here is the last few days of what's been going on. The holiday weekend created extra pressure for her b/c of our and her family's traditions for them. I saw this coming.

Originally Posted By: ovrrnbw
Made some progress tonight. WW texted me again late this afternoon asking if I was at the lake. Again, I asked why, WW says I dunno. I say Ok then, WW replies that she is having a hard time so I say "with what"? WW says don't worry i'll be fine. I say "ok have a good weekend". Then WW asks again if I'm at the lake, but asks something else so I only respond to the other question. WW asks again if I'm at the lake. I don't respond.

An hour later WW asks me to call. After 20 or 30 minutes I call WW. WW says she is upset and crying about not being at the lake. Her folks didn't end up going bc she didn't plus it'd be awkward with the lake neighbors explaining why I wasn't there. WW wants a "new life". WW says her parents are yelling at her. WW also says that this is "happening to her", whatever that means. That's probably her way of saying, "this isn't my fault" and cleaning her hands of her wrongdoings.

I wonder if I should be her shoulder to cry on. Sounds like getting the benefits of a husband without the necessary reciprocation. She says she "wishes she could change her life". I'm not sure why she can't. WW says she's unhappy with her life. OK crazy lady.

Eventually WW texted me saying thanks for talking and she was sorry to bother me. I just responded "you're welcome".

Obviously she still has the feels. We'll see if that translates into anything positive for the marriage.

Yesterday morning WW texted me in the morning,just my name with "..." at the end. WW tells me she's sorry (I think she means for bothering me) and that she's having a hard time. I validate, but find that statement a little annoying.

Then WW tells me she is just so sad. I say I'm sorry to hear that, WW says oh well and I leave it at that.

What the hell is she doing? Why is she coming to me when she's sad? The lake was "our thing", so that and the holiday weekend plays a big role.

I'm gonna type this out while it's fresh. WW woke me up at 11 PM and kept tickling me, then after several minutes got more physical, slapping my head and hitting me with the pillow. She wanted me to get out of the bed. Said I was playing a game and that I should be doing what she wants bc I created this marital mess. I told her it's not a game at all. She's saying that someone told me to do this. I told her several times that it's late and I need to go back to bed. Obviously she didn't care to keep crossing that boundary. She cried several times. Then we talked a little more.

Then I told her I need to go back to bed. She leaves the room the comes back in to get in another word bc she's mad about sleeping in the other bedroom. So I finally say the word affair, and she's offended, says she didn't do anything wrong. I told her she was lying to herself and that she wouldn't be hiding her car and trying to get me to coerce me and a friend into not saying anything about it.

She denies this, of course, and I told her she was being like my dad (who is a horrible person). She got mad when I told her she was being like my dad when she told me i have to answer her calls bc it's her family plan. She told me I was being controlling and selfish about the bed. She doesn't like the word affair at all and Backdoor admitted to it. At the end of the 2 hour convo she wants to know who all I have told about her affair. I tell her I don't feel comfortable telling her bc I don't trust her right now. She says that I'm playing a game by saying that, and that she's been open with me and telling me things. I tell her she's not being honest with me, (she didn't admit to the money she's hiding). I say there's still secrets and she assumed I meant the affair so I reminded her that's not what I'm talking about. She didn't tell me anything new, so I didn't know what she meant.

She cried several times and blamed me for everything, she brought me emailing and texting an ex 6 years ago again, I think to justify her actions. She accused me again of trying to "take everything". She told me that her mom told her sister that her mom thinks WW is very depressed. WW also accused me of recording her, which I wasn't. I think I need to draw the line on the physical contact and conversation times.

She also stated that she can't D right now bc of the house and car situation plus she has no paper income and no where to go.

Crazy night.

H 32
W 27
BD 3/12/18
Joined Forum 5-18
LRT began 5-4-18
OM discovered 3-20-18

Married 2 years
Together 6 years
M
M
[

I think my mind is open, I'm asking for everyone here's perspective and I appreciate your response. I didn't expect to get the same perspective I had been getting.

Just so you know, the forum is committed to helping posters with Dr Harley's perspective. We came here because we wrecked our marriages and it was his program that saved our marriages. So, the advice that we give comes from his expertise and not our own personal opinions. [I sell soft drinks, after all]

If you haven't seen it yet, I have exposed it to several people, but not using y'alls method - I just found the site today. She has been largely avoiding her folks the last 3 months. We used to see them 1-3 days per week. No she doesn't see them 1-3 per month and they aren't happy about it.

Yes, I saw this. We call this a "trickle exposure." My suggestion is to avoid posting a play by play and focus on the PLAN. It gives you the best chance at saving your marriage if you have the ability to follow a plan!

Exposure 101

O
OP Offline
O
The plan is just to out the affair to as many people as possible? And then whether the $$#@storm that WW will obviously throw? Then hope she wants to come back to the marraige?

I understand the perspective was developed from Dr Harley, I read quite a bit on here today.

H 32
W 27
BD 3/12/18
Joined Forum 5-18
LRT began 5-4-18
OM discovered 3-20-18

Married 2 years
Together 6 years
S
S
The plan is just to out the affair to as many people as possible? And then whether the $$#@storm that WW will obviously throw? Then hope she wants to come back to the marraige?

This is the purpose for exposure, from the exposure 101 thread and the exposure article:
Originally Posted by Dr Harley
"Exposure is very likely to end the affair, lifting the fog that has overcome the unfaithful spouse, helping him or her become truly repentant and willing to put energy and effort into a full marital recovery. In my experience with thousands of couples who struggle with the fallout of infidelity, exposure has been the single most important first step toward recovery. It not only helps end the affair, but it also provides support to the betrayed spouse, giving him or her stamina to hold out for ultimate recovery."

"The reason for the wide exposure is not to hurt the unfaithful spouse, but rather to end the fantasy. Your husband's secret second life made his affair possible, and the more you can to to make it public, the easier it is for him to see the damage he's doing. Keeping it secret does damage, but few know about it. Making it public helps everyone, including the unfaithful spouse and lover, see the affair for what it really is."

Ddays 2007 and 2011
Plan B 6/21/11
Divorced July 2012
2 kids
How to Plan B Correctly
Parallel Parenting in Plan B
M
M

The plan is to wreck the affair by exposing it. In order for exposure to be effective, it needs to as strategic and comprehensive as possible. If you have a terrible disease, do you just take a little trickle of medicine or do you take the necessary dose that will hopefully cure the disease. Exposure is THERAPEUTIC, don't you want the benefits of exposure?

Let me put this another way. Exposure is the most likely way to kill the affair. She is more likely to want to recover the marriage if the affair is over.

And then whether the $$#@storm that WW will obviously throw?

Not sure what this has to do with anything. Our goal is to save your marriage, not to avoid your wife's anger at any cost. Your marriage can survive her temporary anger over exposure, it can't survive an affair. If your goal is to just avoid her anger at all cost, then you will end up divorced, I promise you. You need to put aside your fear of her anger, if you expect to make it.

I understand the perspective was developed from Dr Harley, I read quite a bit on here today.

good!

Exposure 101

O
OP Offline
O
I'd love to wreck the affair and more...I feel like that is the bad part of me though. I love to be right and make other wrongs known.

WW doesn't want me talking about it either. Just the other night she was asking me who all I've told about it. I would not tell her, because it's none of my business. If she doesn't like how it sounds or looks, she could always not do it.

I have been working on myself, and getting stronger and making sure I'm the person I want to be. This just seems like a regression (for me) into controlling, manipulative behaviors. I know what this site is about, and I came her for y'alls opinion so please don't take offense.

I am past the point of worrying about aggravating my WW. I have been back in the master bed for 3 weeks now. She doesn't like, wakes me up, tries to start a fight, throws her fit. I am strong, not engaging in a fight, and not giving up my ground. I'm also well aware of her lies and manipulative behavior. I am not trying to fix anything for her and I am not there for her 24/7 or during work hours anymore.

Sometimes it takes a while to truly understand something, or to hear it another way, or at the right time. I am still listening and appreciate everyone's posts a lot.

H 32
W 27
BD 3/12/18
Joined Forum 5-18
LRT began 5-4-18
OM discovered 3-20-18

Married 2 years
Together 6 years
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 514 guests, and 50 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation