Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
I
I
Originally Posted by overtherainbow1
I'd love to wreck the affair and more...I feel like that is the bad part of me though. I love to be right and make other wrongs known.
t.

That's...ok. Affairs aren't planned, wanted, helpful things deserving of respect or privacy. Think of them more as addictions that people fall into and the exposure as an intervention.

If there's nothing wrong with it, then what's wrong with people knowing?

What would you do if you were not afraid?

"Fear is the little death. Fear is the mind-killer" Frank Herbert.

L
LMH Offline
L
Wrecking the affair is pre-requisite for saving the marriage.
The affair is a terrible and hurtful thing, for both of you actually.
If my wife's affair went any longer than it did we would be divorced, as the love bank drains fast once it starts draining...
If you really want to save your marriage you need to act while you still love her enough to try, believe me, there is a time you will not feel like trying reconcile if you let the love bank run dry, and there is a lot of work to be done.
Don't think of keeping quiet as keeping her secret, or protecting her, think of it as cooperating with the affair partner to help them take your wife and destroy your marriage.

BH: 34(me)
FWW: 36
Pets not kids.
N
N
Have you listened to the radio show? Please listen every day, it will help you with the attitude change you are looking for. Your interactions with her should have purpose and make love bank deposits, not comparing her to her Dad when that is a love buster.

You mention not wanting to be manipulative anymore. The radio show will teach you daily how to replace that old mindset and behavior with respect and negotiation. Exposure is the first step and meanwhile you can get the attitude change you need to be a real partner she can fall back in love with. Also you want to hear the same things again for reinforcement to sink in, it will give you that too. Then your time with the posters here you can focus on strategy and planning.

Me 40, OD 18 and YD 13
Married 15 years, Divorced 10/2010
O
OP Offline
O
Originally Posted by NewEveryDay
Have you listened to the radio show? Please listen every day, it will help you with the attitude change you are looking for. Your interactions with her should have purpose and make love bank deposits, not comparing her to her Dad when that is a love buster.

You mention not wanting to be manipulative anymore. The radio show will teach you daily how to replace that old mindset and behavior with respect and negotiation. Exposure is the first step and meanwhile you can get the attitude change you need to be a real partner she can fall back in love with. Also you want to hear the same things again for reinforcement to sink in, it will give you that too. Then your time with the posters here you can focus on strategy and planning.

I have not been able to find the radio show, how do you find it?

H 32
W 27
BD 3/12/18
Joined Forum 5-18
LRT began 5-4-18
OM discovered 3-20-18

Married 2 years
Together 6 years
O
OP Offline
O
Here's some updates for you all, it is a lot but maybe you can help:

5/31/18
Talked to WW on phone around 7 PM, maybe I shouldn't have. First thing, she asks "Where are you"? I said "hanging out". I use this response and the "nothing/nowhere" response as casually as if someone had asked me "what's up".

She wanted to know if I'd move a trailer, I had already agreed so I confirmed I would.

Got home from GAL, was reading and went out to eat w/ my sis. Shower, bed, WW is folding laundry in MB, I get in bed and decide to fold a couple things too. She put some of my clothes away actually. She asks "where are you going out so late". I reply just with friends. She didn't say anything about me getting in bed and she got her pillows out of the other bedroom.

Eventually, kind of late, about an 1.5 hours after I fell asleep she moved to the front bedroom. She was disturbed by a late night notification on my phone, I could feel her turn when it buzzed.

6/1/18
WW really needed to call me 3 times in a row to find... air mattress. Told her it's not at home, she informs me her sister's engagement party is tomorrow and that it's going to be really hard for her. Phone call highlights:

--said she never stopped being open with me...while we were married (we still are), even though I hurt her and threw her heart around
-questioned why I had air mattress at the lake, asked how many people, which friends, did I take a girl, was one of my sister's friends there (she views this friend as a threat); says she doesn't care if that girl was there (which is obviously why you brought it up)
-she gets mad that I won't answer, I tell her I'm confused why this matters
-I tell her I'm going to get going several times, she extends conversation several times, asking "can we talk for just a minute"?
-says "this seems like it is really easy for you". I'm just curious. I tell her it's not with a story from my past. She tells me that it is hard for, b/c it's "what you're used to", and it's weird when you're not doing what you're used to.
-a lot of smalltalk
-I go to end conversation a 3rd time, she asks if I've told her parents about her affair. Said she'd rather them not know.
-I asks If I blame her for "that" (her affair), says "do you think I'm bad"? She says she thinks it "looks bad, but what else was I supposed to do"? I just validated this, maybe I was wrong.
-was worried that I was going to try to "mess her up bc of it", and got defensive when I don't quickly respond. Cried and said "I don't want to be screwed over". "I don't know if you're not thinking about me at all". Then she starts bawling (crying).

Then we met in person at a Panera, here's the highlights:
-WW cried a lot, she is sad, how is this "happening to her"?
-WW hates me but loves/cares about me, but doesn't love me
-WW won't have anywhere to live, won't be able to get a loan for anything
-WW says this is very hard
-WW stated (again) that I am doing fine on my own. I informed her that I have feelings too but that I am dealing with them, reading, getting help, talking to people.
-Her mom is mad at her b/c her uncles helped us with a lot of work (for free) and they will be at the party tomorrow
-asked who I've told about her affair. I informed her that she's in a relationship w/ someone else so we aren't freely exchanging info
-we hugged once inside, she initiated a hug before we left
-I validated a lot of feelings, asked her questions about them
-she reiterated before she left that it's going to be hard to be around family tomorrow, so I told her "why don't you just tell them"?
-mad at my friend for discussing her affair with someone else
-wants to know what my mom, dad, and sister all think/say about her/the situation
-stated how it's hard b/c she "doesn't believe in divorce" and she "meant her vows to love me" but that she doesn't love me right now...

6/3/18 to morning of 6/4/18

Last night she woke me up. Lots of floppy hand movements leg movements and making noise playing on her phone loudly. After it woke me up I just tried to go back to sleep but then she was tapping on me a couple of times trying to give me to wake up. Then she asked me a couple of times to hold her and I responded why the first time, she said she's sad. So I said that [censored] and she moaned and whined a couple of things. Then she asked again if I would hold her and I said I don't know. Then I didn't end up doing it. She's sad b/c of our anniversary she says. Ok...

One of the time she woke me up she asked me if we can talk but I said no it's late I'm going to bed. So she says well just a couple of minutes? So I didn't respond she says please couple more times. I go to fall back asleep and she goes back into the breathing loudly and moving around all the time routine.

Then this morning she wakes up early before me and starts doing that again making noise moving around. At one point she even moved closer to me in bed I'm like what the hell. So I decide to just get up she stopped me and asked me for a hug I said I don't know (this is my way of saying "No", if you can't tell). And I tried to walk out the door before she asked again and I told her I don't know. Then I'm about to leave and she sound me to hang on for a second to talk and she freaks out cuz she thinks I'm leaving when I was actually just going to get something out of the car. So I come back inside she tells me how she's sad but again but doesn't want my pity. Okay.

Then she asked me if I want to hang out and go to the pool tonight and I don't respond immediately so she gets mad and and says it's okay don't worry about it. So I told her I won't be in a part-time relationship. I asked her then what tomorrow then I go back to not talking to you? And she says well you want me to decide if I'm going to be with you today. So I just say no I'm just telling you what I won't do. And then I go to leave and she asked for another hug. I told her she can hug me and she came over and gave me a hug and I just kind of gave her a little bit of a hug, only one arm, not a good one back after she hugged me and cried.

Now today she asks again about going to the pool and getting dinner. I agreed, but I'm very skeptical.

6/4/18 evening

She was asking where I go and who I'm with. I stuck with friends for my answer.
She asked if I was hanging out with a girl.
She asked if I talked to my best man a lot about our situation. I guess she thinks thats who I'd talk to the most but it hasn't been.
She asked me if I told anyone about us going out tonight, I said no and she said she told her sister and one friend she was going out with me.
She got a new phone and we went to the att store.She was kinda being rude at the cell phone store .
She played on the new phone a lot when we got home so I turned on the TV and fell asleep. Seems like she was on her phone a lot, but maybe that was planned distraction for the situation.
She asked me if it was weird with this being our anniversary. I laughed and said yes.
She asked me about wearing my ring last night, which I thought was strange. Asked when I stopped wearing it, she hasn't worn hers in forever, except to work.
We played the accidentally touching each other game. She's sleeping pretty lightly and so am I bc I woke up a few times and she was awake each time. Or maybe she woke first I'm not sure.
She played the obnoxious phone noises and rustling in bed game again, it woke me up again about 30 min after falling asleep but eh, the TV was still on anyways.

Wasn't bad, wasn't great overall. I thanked her last night for asking me and we hugged this morning.
I'm still skeptical.

6/5/18

I was skeptical on Monday. I even said (and maybe this was too much) to WW "I don't want to go out with you and then you're gone the next night". Which is 100% true about how I feel.

Well, as feared and almost expected, she fled back to OM's place last night. I want to go no contact for a while, definitely need to get back to the good habits of no pursuit, no long convos, and working on myself.

I'm thinking about staying away from home the next few nights but maybe that's too much GAL and not enough stability. I'll be out of town this weekend anyways.

WW is lying hardcore. I told my sister that WW said she was going swimming with Friend 1. My sister said "they put a snapchat of them at a pool". Well, WW was trying to support her story but I know where they really where - the OM's pool (apt complex). WW was deceitful, tried to make her story to me sound good but left out the obvious, wrong part. And she told me where she was going, I didn't ask.

H 32
W 27
BD 3/12/18
Joined Forum 5-18
LRT began 5-4-18
OM discovered 3-20-18

Married 2 years
Together 6 years
N
N
Over, I'm on my phone and having trouble trying to post a link, but if you would scroll up to the top of your screen the link is there. I know you mean well with not wanting to share too much information and all but that is the opposite of the honesty and openness you will develop following this program. Honestly I think this program is the best shot you have at saving your marriage and encourage you to write Dr. Harley because every time I read your posts I am cringing the whole time. It's a totally different mindset and attitude of fighting for your marriage and I believe you and your wife would respect yourself a lot more than "I don't know " when your wife is asking you direct questions.

Me 40, OD 18 and YD 13
Married 15 years, Divorced 10/2010
D
Administrator
Administrator
D
overtherainbow1, did you have a question for the posters about the Marriage Builders program? It doesn't appear as if you are taking any of the advice to use these steps. If you aren't going to use the program, we will lock the thread. The purpose of the forum is to help others use this program, not to blog about personal plans that are not endorsed by Marriage Builders.

MBDenali@gmail.com
U
U
Over, it is difficult to read your posts because you seem to have a lot to work with here. Your wife is practically begging for your attention and for you to fight for her. If you implemented a Plan A, I think your marriage is very salvageable. But acting in this aloof and distant manner, even giving the impression you are seeing someone else (are you?) , is going to push her further away, just as it pushes any woman away with or without an affair. Is your goal to push her away?

O
OP Offline
O
Originally Posted by NewEveryDay
Over, I'm on my phone and having trouble trying to post a link, but if you would scroll up to the top of your screen the link is there. I know you mean well with not wanting to share too much information and all but that is the opposite of the honesty and openness you will develop following this program. Honestly I think this program is the best shot you have at saving your marriage and encourage you to write Dr. Harley because every time I read your posts I am cringing the whole time. It's a totally different mindset and attitude of fighting for your marriage and I believe you and your wife would respect yourself a lot more than "I don't know " when your wife is asking you direct questions.
Thanks, I don't know how I missed that. I listened to some of his youtube stuff yesterday.

Can you clarify your last sentence? I didn't fully understand it.

H 32
W 27
BD 3/12/18
Joined Forum 5-18
LRT began 5-4-18
OM discovered 3-20-18

Married 2 years
Together 6 years
O
OP Offline
O
Originally Posted by unwritten
Over, it is difficult to read your posts because you seem to have a lot to work with here. Your wife is practically begging for your attention and for you to fight for her. If you implemented a Plan A, I think your marriage is very salvageable. But acting in this aloof and distant manner, even giving the impression you are seeing someone else (are you?) , is going to push her further away, just as it pushes any woman away with or without an affair. Is your goal to push her away?
Sorry if my posts are difficult to read, so I thank you for responding through that difficulty.

I'm definitely not seeing anyone. Two wrongs don't make a right IMO. She has been looking for more attention frim me, I agree with you there.

I need to reread "Plan A".

My goal is not to push her away, but working on myself and not being there for her like I would have been a year ago has drawn her back over the last month. Or maybe it's something else, bc I truly don't know.

I'm still learning and trying to figure out my crazy life here, so thank you for responding.

H 32
W 27
BD 3/12/18
Joined Forum 5-18
LRT began 5-4-18
OM discovered 3-20-18

Married 2 years
Together 6 years
S
S
I need to reread "Plan A".
Again, Plan A/MB does not work without exposure.

A poster above told you "Wrecking the affair is a prerequisite for saving your marriage." 100% true. I noticed you did not respond or acknowledge that post.

Ddays 2007 and 2011
Plan B 6/21/11
Divorced July 2012
2 kids
How to Plan B Correctly
Parallel Parenting in Plan B
S
S
working on myself and not being there for her like I would have been a year ago has drawn her back over the last month. Or maybe it's something else, bc I truly don't know.

"Working on myself and not being there for her" - this is not Plan A or MB.

She is not drawn back to the marriage if she has not commited to ending her affair and taking steps to never see or talk to the OM again, btw.

Ddays 2007 and 2011
Plan B 6/21/11
Divorced July 2012
2 kids
How to Plan B Correctly
Parallel Parenting in Plan B
D
Administrator
Administrator
D
What is your question about Marriage Builders, overtherainbow?

MBDenali@gmail.com
M
M
Overtherainbow, how is exposure going? That is probably the most critical first step towards recovery and you seem to be glossing over that advice. Instead of blogging about day to day events, can you tell us your progress in following the advice?

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

O
OP Offline
O
She doesn't work a regular job, she is a nanny. No email to go to. I don't know where the OM works. His family knows, so does WW's. I am looking to get a face to face this week with the in laws, but my FIL is out of town so maybe later this week.

Where do you suggest I go from here?

H 32
W 27
BD 3/12/18
Joined Forum 5-18
LRT began 5-4-18
OM discovered 3-20-18

Married 2 years
Together 6 years
O
OP Offline
O
Figured I'd post a little something here.

I looked in the spyware forum, didn't see much of use there. Am I looking in the wrong spot or what do you use to monitor phones? What about cameras in the house?

I've been reading CYK's thread, and trying to find other success stories in here too. I'd like to reconcile with my W, above all else.

H 32
W 27
BD 3/12/18
Joined Forum 5-18
LRT began 5-4-18
OM discovered 3-20-18

Married 2 years
Together 6 years
I
I
Spouse of affair partner- Give your full name, phone # and email address. Tell the other BS all about the affair, offer to share all evidence with him/her. Offer to follow up to ensure that contact is truly ended and ask the other BS to do the same. The other BS will be shocked when you tell him, so be sure and give your email address and phone # for follow up questions. ALWAYS GIVE THE OTHER BS YOUR WS'S PHONE # IN CASE HE/SHE WANTS TO CALL.

Parents, close family, friends � Tell them about the affair, giving them names, general timelines, etc. Explain you are attempting to save your marriage and would be willing to forgive your WS if he/she ended the affair. Ask them to use their influence to persuade the WS to end her affair. A way to save time is to call both sets of parents and send an email to the other close family and friends. Template letter posted below

Parents of affair partner. Give your full name and explain why you are calling. Ask them to use their influence with their son/daughter to persuade them to leave your spouse alone. It might also help if the PARENT of the WS calls them too.

Workplace exposure: Expose to Director of Human Resources, a key VP and both of the affairee�s supervisors using the template letter posted below.

Facebook exposure: Should be done to the affair partner�s facebook friends via private message. This is a very, very effective exposure because it is a collection of the AP�s closest friends and family. SPACE THE PM�S OUT 60 SECONDS APART SO FB DOES NOT SHUT YOU DOWN FOR FLOODING. Before you begin, copy and paste all the contacts into a WORD doc. Change your fb picture to a picture of you and your spouse and children. Template letters posted below.

Send the Evidence! Provide the evidence via email to your exposure targets. One ideal way to do this is to start up a website, upload your evidence and send out the link to everyone. This prevents the WS from denying there is an affair.

Have you hit each of these targets using the methods described?

How did they react when you exposed?

What would you do if you were not afraid?

"Fear is the little death. Fear is the mind-killer" Frank Herbert.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 373 guests, and 59 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation