Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
M
M
Charming, he is almost at retirement age now. You do realize that, right? He could start drawing social security at 62. How is he paying his expenses?

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

M
M
Originally Posted by Charming1
It was a colleague. We would have coffee and lunch. We would hug and kiss. He was having marital problems as well. We kept in touch during my marriage for a year and then I broke it off. I realized he was not the one

Do you still work with this guy?

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

C
OP Offline
C
Yes, he is almost at retirement age. I’m not sure how much that would be since he hasn’t worked much. There’s no retirement other than social security. I still have 20+ years before retirement.

He’s always worked for himself. He achieved some wealth at an early age (before I met him), but has never come back. It was always the hope. The business he was in as since changed.

He was getting some checks, about $500-600 per month. That’s now stopped. He started a maintenance business. I’m assuming that’s how he’s supporting himself now.

Crsnae
C
OP Offline
C
No, I don’t. We never worked for the same firm, but in the same field. We ran across paths during a business transaction.

Last edited by Charming1; 03/24/19 10:56 PM.

Crsnae
C
OP Offline
C
No, I do not plan on talking with the Btw. According to my therapist it’s not a good idea to speak of the A with my H. According to the therapist it could do more harm than good.

Crsnae
M
M
No, I do not plan on talking with the Btw. According to my therapist it’s not a good idea to speak of the A with my H. According to the therapist it could do more harm than good.

Your therapist is giving you bad advice. Your H has a right to know about the affair. This is information about his life too. Here is what Dr Harley, clinical psychologist and founder of Marriage Builders says about exposure to an abusive spouse:

Originally Posted by Dr Bill Harley
"If a wife tells me that her husband has a history of physical violence toward her, and she's discovered his affair, I suggest that she make immediate plans for a complete separation. Generally, I refer her to a shelter for abused women. After the separation is complete, and she is safe, I then recommend exposure of the affair. Contact with the abusive spouse should be ruled out until the violent husband has enrolled in an anger management program, has no contact with the lover, and is willing to begin a program of marital reconciliation. Even then, I recommend continued separation until there is overwhelming evidence that the abusive behavior has been eliminated."
When to Expose an Affair

And the OM's wife certainly has a right to know. Ideally, your husband would contact her and inform her but since you are separated, that job falls to you.

Exposure 101

C
OP Offline
C
Thank you. I will take this into consideration.

Crsnae
M
M
I definitely need to look in the mirror and face my wrong actions. I’m trying to forgive myself.

When you say you are trying to "forgive yourself" you do realize you do not need your forgiveness, right? You need the forgiveness of the people you harmed.

Exposure 101

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
1 members (Blackhawk), 1,215 guests, and 57 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil, daveamec, janyline
71,836 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation