Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
D
OP Offline
D
I will start out by saying I have been with my beautiful wife for 24 years and been married for 18. I met my wife when I just turned 15 years old. She was 16 fixing to turn 17. I am 39 now and She is turning 41. She was the first serious relationship I've ever had through JH and beginning of HS. We were however, 4 years apart in school. I was not the smartest guy in school. We started to be active with each other 3 months in. She was my first. 6 months in she got pregnant with our child. Yes, here we are today years later and happy.
It was not too long into our relationship her past was brought up. When we used to go out to different places we would see an ex and let's say she would not shy from telling anyone what happened. A few times she would let slip that someone slept with her and left. Or would boast about the size of an ex. The next year's leading up to our marriage we would argue frequently about the things she said, things I heard from her or her sister that she is close to that knew about something. It was tough. When I used to ask how many guys she was with she would not elaborate on anyone other than saying IDK about 8 or 9. Since those days after marriage I long forgot about her past until 1 night about 7 mo. ago. Little did I know this night would change my thought process and anxiety levels to this day. One night after great intimacy we were talking and I don't know why I thought of it but I asked her, who was her first. She told me. Then I asked her how many guys she was with since she never told me before. She told me 5 guys. She told me the names and pretty much a short version of the WWWW&H. All of a sudden my body turned to mush and anxiety through the roof. Fast forward several months of weight loss, anxiety, and the constant urge to ask about every little detail, I was a mess. When asked she told me all that she could remember.
I was angry, upset, emotional, and just plain disgusted and I had no idea why.
You would think after learning 5 guys instead of 8 or 9 would be better. It wasn't. Look, after learning just about 99% of the details surrounding my wife's past she was not kinky or did anything experienced. She did have sex in places other than the bedroom which makes It worse but It was just sex. My brain was a mess. She told me that 3 of them were just 1NS. The other 2 were actual hook up boyfriends. I just couldn't believe that my wife when she was 15 years old through the time she met me at almost 17 she was with 5 other guys. Here is other issue with my obsession. I began to stalk her FB page and get more involved. What I found was an ex boyfriend from JH who is married with children who I knew she was friends with would have birthday comments such as I miss those days etc and that would set me off more. After finding out who these guys were, I knew there names and faces. I was scrolling in a particular post where a pic was posted with her and her and her friends and a remincing commenced. I was involved in the convo with them. Then I saw 1 of the 1NS guys who was tagged by another friend started commenting. My wife indirectly was replying to his comments. Nothing terrible. The problem was that she knew who he was. My feeling is I was played as a fool being involved in a convo with him.
Then the worst thing of all I found was on her FB messenger. Yes I stalked that too. Another pic was posted which I was not involved. Her other girl friends invited her to the side convo. Let me tell you, I will not elaborate on what they mentioned about their own past however, when I saw my wife chime up she spoke about how she wished she had sex with the ex that she dated through JH and HS. She also asked her friend who she was with the same night she was having sex with another guy. I get it, it was a convo between the girls. That is not something a husband should see. She never deleted before then. I was crazy. A loose cannon. I was pissed. I was not only dealing with the new details of her past sex partners now dealing with those words coming from the live of my lifes mouth. It's like she never changed from the things she used to say.
Since then we have talked a lot about it all. She has told me she was very sorry and didn't mean any of those things. She was just one upping with the girls. She has also told me that none of those guys meant anything. It was just sex. She said she was insecure after rejection and decided it was the only way to get the guys to like her. I was still confused because she had 3 1NS. Look the first one she really wanted a relationship and he never gave her the TOD. I get it.
Today, I can say that I still think about it all the time but is not nearly as bad as it was. I don't talk to her or ask anymore questions. But I still feel terrible. I never thought this would grab hold of me like it did. My wife has told me everything she can remember. She does not like talking to me about her past because she gets embarrassed with me. I'm not going to lie some of the things she cant remember still play a number on me. As silly as it sounds she cant remember the old car she had sex in with an ex. It kills me. Now it's like I never want to look at an old car again because it comes to mind could it have been this kind. I know it's ridiculous but some of this seems so uncontrollable.
I know my wife is faithful and loves me to death. I loved her to death. I would never leave her over her past. It's just hard to get this out of my mind. Me never having sex before her was hard. Every time she talks to a friend on FB or she mentions someone it's like I wonder if they know. I wonder if they were there. She did have a ton of fun during JH and HS. I do get jealous because of that. I never made it as far as her. I dropped out to support our child. She had already had her sex filled drunken good times out of her system.
Bottom line I'm still jealous, I'm still insecure about myself, im still upset about the things she said in convo 5 years ago on FB , and I just want to get back how I was 7 mo. ago. Not bothered by this, confident, and happy.
Look I understand that the past is the past. I've heard the get over it speeches. I even saw a counselor that was not really helpful. I'm sharing this to get advice. I'm sharing this to get other people's opinions. I will NEVER leave my wife however, I look at her differently at the moment and She knows it. I don't want her to feel different because of my actions.
Thanks

DCniceguy
M
M
Hi DCNiceguy, welcome to Marriage Builders. A few things stand out to me. First off, when a person is happy in the present, their mind does not go to the past. I realize alot of this is NEW information for you, but going forward, this will be critical to solving your anxiety. You need to place all of your focus on making your marriage a happy, romantic, safe place. Once the following steps are taken, you shouldn't bring this up again, unless something new happens. Talking about it over and over again will keep the pain fresh. It will be like ripping off the scab every time it is brought up.

The reason this all happened is because you were never told everything about her past. But it is better late than never. I realize it may not feel that way now, but this is all information you needed to have. Now you know what people should be avoided [former boyfriends] and you know all about her history. You also know what she says to her girlfriends when you aren't looking. That is information about your life to which you have a right to know. Nothing should be secret in marriage. Her girlfriends and ex boyfriends should not have information about your wife to which you are not privy. It is concerning that your wife speaks like that behind your back and I would strongly advise you to check from time to time to see what she is doing. After all, her behavior affects you too, since you are her husband. You have a right to know everything.

That being said, she should not be friends with any of her former boyfriends [or one night stands]. That is how affairs start. THE RISK OF OPPOSITE-SEX FRIENDSHIPS IN MARRIAGE Not only that, but you will be perpetually triggered every time you see them on her facebook. Out of respect and concern for her marriage, she needs to end her friendships. That can be easily done by quietly unfriending them and staying out of discussions with them.

And lastly, you really need to make your marriage a romantic, happy place. Use the material on this program and you can easily do that. When you are happy and fulfilled in your marriage, the mind does not wander to the disappointments of the past. I would get the book Fall in Love, Stay in Love and the workbook Five Steps to Romantic Love. The most important thing you can do for your marriage is to start going out on lots of dates and becoming experts at meeting each others needs. That will help you forget all this. In the meantime, read this: HOW TO CREATE YOUR OWN PLAN TO RESOLVE CONFLICTS AND RESTORE LOVE

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

M
M
Originally Posted by DCniceguy
Then I saw 1 of the 1NS guys who was tagged by another friend started commenting. My wife indirectly was replying to his comments. Nothing terrible. The problem was that she knew who he was. My feeling is I was played as a fool being involved in a convo with him.

And this is exactly WHY you should have been told about her past boyfriends, so you would know this. You should know all their names and she should have nothing to do with them.

Then the worst thing of all I found was on her FB messenger. Yes I stalked that too. Another pic was posted which I was not involved. Her other girl friends invited her to the side convo. Let me tell you, I will not elaborate on what they mentioned about their own past however, when I saw my wife chime up she spoke about how she wished she had sex with the ex that she dated through JH and HS. She also asked her friend who she was with the same night she was having sex with another guy. I get it, it was a convo between the girls. That is not something a husband should see.

It is not stalking to look at your spouses private messages. That is information that any married person has a right to see. How else would you know about this side of your wife? She shouldn't be having any conversations with females that you can't see. If she is doing something she doesn't want you to see, then she should stop doing it.

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

D
OP Offline
D
Thank you Melodylane. I did not mention once we spoke about the ex she was friends with on FB that I knew about she did ask me years ago if it was a problem because they were friends. At that time I had no issues. It wasn't until I was [censored] crazy over learning the details of her past then looking through other public posts that I and everyone else was privy too such as birthday etc. That is where I became uncomfortable with the discussions between them. Like I said it was happy birthday, we are getting old, we had good times etc. Since all of this we have discussed everything and She has blocked the ex and his wife so there will be no dealing with that. She has told be that if she knew in was uncomfortable with this early on she would have not accepted his request or blocked earlier. I was not a very active FBooker whrnnu came out. She was like everyone else. Posting when the last time she cleaned house etc. Since this I have been glued to FB. Thanks for your advice.

DCniceguy
D
OP Offline
D
I completely agree. I was feeling guilty because of what I was looking through. Today, I do not. Believe me she is a jealous woman as well. She wants to know everything about who is who and what I'm doing as well. I never gave her a reason to doubt. Little did I know I did on her behalf.
Look, during arguments about her past she would get upset and say things like I should've married a virgin etc. I don't want that. If that bothered me I would have not married her 18 years ago knowing she had a past. A thought to be worse one than I know now. It's just something I am processing and need to come to some conclusion. She is not a secretive woman. She will tell you, I have to pull it out of her though. After speaking long and hard about the FB message she realizes that she was wrong. She has already regret with talking with friends about it . She is not friends with any old BF or 1nighters. I do know all their names now and who they are after all this. It was just all a big hit at once. I'm slowly getting over it. She has already told me that she does not want me to NOT trust her. I do trust her and do know that she will not be unfaithful to me. It's just hard dealing with all of her fun past experiences and GF she had with the same experiences how easy it is to talk about all of it. She told me it was 1 and only 1 covo that she was involved in like that. She feels terrible about it. I keep telling her to put herself in my shoes every time something is brought up. The only thing is she can never put herself in my shoes or know how it feels because she was never just with me like I am with her. I have no friends to discuss those good ole times or exes because even though I've made out with other girls and had GFs I've never been to that sacred place other than my wife. She always used to tell me that was a worry with her. It's not. I will NEVER try to see if the grass is greener on the other side.

DCniceguy
M
M
I do trust her and do know that she will not be unfaithful to me.

I think you are in a really good position. Your wife has stopped the behavior that has made you uneasy and that is what counts. It is very good that you are watching now. Couples that are transparent don't have affairs. I wanted to address the comment above though. It is too much trust coupled with poor boundaries that leads to affairs. You will be surprised to hear that most people do not set out to have affairs. It is like the frog in boiling water, they practice poor boundaries around the opposite sex and before they know it, they find they have feelings for that person. They are almost always "not that kind of person." However, since you are both aware of the risk and are taking precautions, I predict you are right that she will not be unfaithful to you.

Exposure 101

D
OP Offline
D
Thank you MelodyLane. We have set boundaries and She truly knows how I feel about her interactions with her past. Let me say she has not had plenty of interaction with any specific ex's other than speaking of them in convo that 1 time on messenger that I found out about and someone being thrown into a convo that she was in already. She did cut ties with her ex that she asked me about years ago once I dug in and was uncomfortable with their comments. Just to he clear she did not say anything leading to suspicion with him, it was just uncomfortable after learning of all the new details of her past. Another thing that had bothered me was she was so young when we met already and had already slept with 5 other people. I know I have let go. She has been amazing throughout all of our marriage. My mind is a terrible dark place when I let it out. I know no matter what she did before me it is out of my hands. What's in my hands is what creeps up unwanted in my marriage in the present and what she does from this point forward. We have spoken about it. As much as I wish she would throw up a wall with everyone relationship wise in her past she feels as though she cant control what pops up and her feelings are she will deal with it if it happens. After speaking she has already siad she will never speak or talk in any conversation like she did. She has apologized times over and admitted how irresponsible it was especially with me not knowing at the time. My wife is jealous over other women that show any kind of interest in me. She really cares however, she will never have the jealousy I have because she will never know how it feels to give yourself to 1 and only 1 person. She has rid of that early on.

DCniceguy
D
OP Offline
D
I want to clear the air about me not having previous sexual partners. I am no high and mighty guy that was waiting for Mrs right by the way. I was only 15 when we met. I never had time to play before I met my GF now wife. My whole issue was she did and had quite a few at a young age.

DCniceguy
M
M
I understand. I do think the fastest way out of this is to a) stop talking about it and b) focus 100% on making your marriage a great place. You have a fantastic foundation now so if you started dating your wife again, it would take your focus off this and enhance the passion in your marriage. This is a great place to start:

THE POLICY OF UNDIVIDED ATTENTION

DATING THE ONE YOU MARRIED SERIES OF ARTICLES Willard F. Harley, Jr., PhD

Exposure 101

M
M
I even saw a counselor that was not really helpful.

Just out of curiosity, what happened when you went to counseling?

Exposure 101

D
OP Offline
D
It was not really helpful. The counselor was very passive and not giving advice other than what's hurting me and you have to stop and let go. It was really generic. I get that no one will have all the answers but just speaking with you on this thread you have offered more advice and reading material that the counselor.

DCniceguy
D
OP Offline
D
My wife and I do a lot of things daily such as date nights weekend trios. We do have a lot a fun together to keep us happy and busy. I try to keep us active all the time. It is good. Believe me, my wife is happy and happy in our marriage. The only unhappiness is when I get frustrated in my thoughts about her past which she can tell or I bring something up. You are correct. I want to stop bringing it all up. There is nothing further I want or need to know. I do know this is an answer to my issues. I feel every time she has to know what I am feeling to get it off my chest and let her feel my pain sometimes.

DCniceguy
M
M
I feel every time she has to know what I am feeling to get it off my chest and let her feel my pain sometimes.

Gotcha. Hopefully you can see how destructive that is... When you bring it up, you make it more real for yourself and make your marriage an unhappy place. The longer you bring it up, the longer it will be before it is buried in the past. I promise you will get over this pain as long as your marriage is a happy place. The only time resentment grows from such events is when the marriage is unhappy. You are on the right track for sure.

My wife and I do a lot of things daily such as date nights weekend trios

Be sure and get plenty of dates with just you both alone, meeting the top 4 intimate emotional needs of affection, conversation, recreational companionship and sexual fulfillment. Women need this to stay in LOVE and feel an emotional attachment. My H and I also like to go out with friends, but we guard our alone time with vengeance. We go out on at least 4 dates alone a week. That is what it takes to sustain romantic love. Sustaining the romantic love in a marriage does not happen by accident, but by design. I hope you will take the time to read the article I posted above: THE POLICY OF UNDIVIDED ATTENTION. It is a real eye opener. Follwing that advice will ensure you are ALWAYS in love.

Exposure 101

B
B

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both
Blended Family with 7 kids between us
Too much hurt and pain on both sides that my brain hurts just thinking about it all.

D
OP Offline
D
I appreciate your helpful guidance. I'm sure I will eventually get past the past. It's scary to know I've been dealing with this for months and months. Our relationship together now is a hell of a lot stronger than in the beginning. I am nowhere now where I was months ago. I do get tripped up sometimes by hearing or seeing something related to when this all started but it is no fault of hers. I guess where it all came from was the smallest of details I was privy to and pure jealousy. I will read what you have given and hope it brings a purity to my mind. Thanks for your time and guidance.

DCniceguy
M
M
I guess where it all came from was the smallest of details I was privy to and pure jealousy.

You will do great, but I wanted to make one small point about jealousy. It is a not a bad thing unless it leads to disrespect. Here is one of Dr. Harley's posts to another person about jealousy:

Originally Posted by Dr Bill Harley, clinical psychologist and founder of Marriage Builders
"Jealousy is a normal reaction to a threat to marriage. It's not a Love Buster. The discovery of porn use can trigger it, as well as an increase in IB. [independent behavior] Spending more time together will lower your feeling of jealousy if it's spent meeting each other's emotional needs and following the POJA [policy of joint agreement] whenever you make decisions (and knowing your husband is not watching pornography).

But if jealousy leads to demands, disrespectful judgments, and angry outbursts, they are all Love Busters. Don't let your feeling of jealousy morph into reactions that make massive Love Bank withdrawals. Remember to avoid dwelling on mistakes of the past. Instead deal intelligently and unemotionally with issues of the present."

Exposure 101

D
OP Offline
D
Thank you MelodyLane

DCniceguy
D
OP Offline
D
Hello again MelodyLane. I know it's been a little over a month and a half since I have posted. Since my last post I have stopped all of questions, bringing up anything related to my issue, and talking about it completely. Although all of the talking has stopped my mind is still in a terrible place. I can tell you that not a day has gone by I don't think about this. After sorting out what I believe is the real issue for me besides the jealousy over the last month or so is I really just feel disrespected and hurt when you see another side of your wife you never thought was there. As I stated in earlier replies, I felt the need to be closer to my wife along with being more intimate etc. Lately I have just had feelings of plain resentment and anger. Yes I am still angry that my wife lied about her past early on, and treated me with harsh words about exes in the past. I am still pissed what I saw on FB when she was chatting it up with her girls about her her sexual encounters. It pisses me off that going through what we went through early on about the exes and the arguments prior to marriage she knew how it was and what impact it had on our relationship. She did not have the mind set to stop her urges to discuss it. I have read all the articles. I have created date nights, weekend outings, and we have been closer than ever before. Still, it's like I need some kind of closure, some kind of consequence for lack of a better word. Look, I would never do anything such as be unfaithful or even leave her for that matter after 24 years. I just can't get past of never knowing her past until now. Knowing she had several1NS at a young age in HS prior to our relationship, feeling free to talk about her past loosely with some of her friends, allowing me to be invlolved in a convo with an ex leaving me in the dark all this time and just plain knowing I have always tried to treat her like a queen and have never disrespected her like this. I know I have never had a sexual relationship prior to her so of course I have had nothing to talk about. Wouldn't do it if I did. All I know is right now I am down and depressed about this. I realize there is nothing I can do about her past before me. Every day right now I feel myself pushing her away. I'm not touchy feely like we were in the past months, no intimacy like before, hell I'm not even really talking as much anymore when we are together. No conversations in the car etc. I know she notices some of these changes. I notice her trying to get closer. I notice her saying more sentimental things every day, getting closer to me. Then I start pushing her away more. It's like I still want her to know I'm hurt and pissed. For the last 6 months through this I was worried, had anxiety, concerned about my feelings, and now I have had the attitude of not caring. It's like looking into her eyes knowing there are those memories in there.
My feelings actual worry me. I don't want to feel this way. She knows I love her and I know she loves me. I also know that what has happened will not happen again. But I can't help feeling as though I guess it won't since I know about it all now. I wish there was a magic button to make this all go away and forgive and forget. There's not. And nothing she has done yet since all of this knowledge has calmed me or made any of this go away. I don't know what anyone will say will help, but I do really hope these feelings leave me soon. This is not healthy. For me or our relationship.
Any words of encouragement appreciated.

DCniceguy
P
P
I am 34 years old male and living in India. I am married for 6 years and have two children. Before marriage my wife told me that she was in a relationship but was not in love with the guy. the guy was younger in age. they were in relationship for 3 years.
she celebrated many things with him. one day I saw pic of her in her cell phone and asked her where this pic was taken and with whom she was. she said it was in some Mall and my friend was with me and after many days after our engagement I came to know that she was with that guy at that night on her birthday but she again lied to me. After repeated inquiries she confessed that guy was with her. it struck my mind and I was in pain. she might have told me other lies about their relationship.
but she said she had told me everything and she was not lying.
One day the guy called her and she gave the phone to me and I told him that we are going to marry and don't call her again. he tried to malign her on facebook but we deleted our fb id's. after so many years of marriage those things again come in between us and her past is again haunting me. and I am completely devastated. Don't know what to do. Main thing that bother me is not the relationship but the lies on which the relationship stands that I don't like... kindly guide me what should I do........

L
L
Parm, can I suggest that you go back to your own thread where Sugar Cane has asked you a question? We understand that this is all very traumatic for you but the questions are there for a reason and we can help you much more effectively if you answer them..

3 adult children
Divorced - he was a serial adulterer
Now remarried, thank you MB
(formerly lied_to_again)
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 1,254 guests, and 50 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Mike69, petercgeelan, Zorya, Reyna98, Nofoguy
71,829 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation