Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 16 of 55 1 2 14 15 16 17 18 54 55
D
OP Offline
D
Originally Posted by MelodyLane
"Dear W, I do remember the counselor suggesting that you might try EMDR because I was planning on doing so. I do know that you didn't want to separate or divorce until you started your affair with OMW's husband.. [insert OMW's name] If you want to leave the marriage, that is your prerogative, Just know that I want us to have a happy marriage and I believe I have a plan that can help us both if you will commit to ending your affair permanently. Your affair has the been the most painful thing that has ever happened to me. We have hurt each other so much and I am committed to making you happy in a relationship that is free from anger, judgement and dishonesty. But it has to be a 2 way street.

Like I said earlier, I am not open to taking the boys to a parenting class. If it ever gets to the mediation stage, I would prefer to let lawyers hammer that out and avoid conflict. That is the most cooperative solution in my opinion."

Thanks for the proposed response.

I don't know if she wanted or did not want a divorce until the affair started with the OM. I do know that up until I discovered the affair, we were doing counseling and talking about reconciling, in other words, that reconciliation was an option, a goal.

M
M
Originally Posted by DrDetroit24
[

I don't know if she wanted or did not want a divorce until the affair started with the OM.

You don't know that she did because never brought it up. She can always rewrite history but the proof is in the pudding. Look at her actions, not her words.

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

M
M
I checked in with our marriage counselor and asked about emdr coming up in our sessions. Her reponse:

Wife recalled it as abusive and felt herself becoming triggered, worrying about past events happening again, and feeling disconnected due to past events.
EMDR can unpack anxiety provoking situations so that it does not create the same somatic distress when there are reminders of it in the present. We can notice feelings of current anger, sadness, worry without it being exacerbated by every past time of feeling that same way. When there is current safety in a relationship, we can then remember that past events are “over” and we can move forward with less worry. I am not in a place to diagnose her with anything and am glad she connected with treatment. EMDR can help us process any past events, present triggers, and future worries related to control/choice (ie I am powerless, I have no choice), safety ( ie I am unsafe or something bad is going to happen), or responsibility (I am not enough/important/loveable/etc). I have had success with partners who utilized EMDR and found benefit from just the calming skills and resources alone and/or processing past events to bring in new information about themselves and the other person in order to lower the distress and change the belief about the event (ie believing they are important and ok).

I didn't think our counselor called my behavior abusive, but it appears that my wife is recalling it that way.

Rewriting history?

Exactly! And I will add to this counselors information about EMDR. As we have seen over and over again on this forum over the years, a spouse does not need "counseling" to erase bad memories. They need a happy marriage. The mind does not wander to the past when it is happy in the present. I have personally experienced this phenomenon and have seen it played out over and over on this forum over the years. You can literally replace bad memories with a good PRESENT.

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

D
OP Offline
D
Exactly! And I will add to this counselors information about EMDR. As we have seen over and over again on this forum over the years, a spouse does not need "counseling" to erase bad memories. They need a happy marriage. The mind does not wander to the past when it is happy in the present. I have personally experienced this phenomenon and have seen it played out over and over on this forum over the years. You can literally replace bad memories with a good PRESENT.

Then in my return email to her I should note exactly that. That we can make a new and better present to replace those bad memories.

D
OP Offline
D
[

I don't know if she wanted or did not want a divorce until the affair started with the OM.

You don't know that she did because never brought it up. She can always rewrite history but the proof is in the pudding. Look at her actions, not her words.

Yeah, I know, but getting beat over the head with "I want to divorce" is tough.

M
M
[

If the affair isn't the reason for the divorce, why was it never brought up until after her affair began?

Exposure 101

M
M
Classic affairee behavior: always blame bad behavior, affair, divorce, etc on the other spouse to keep him off balance. It is classic behavior to rewrite history to demonize the other spouse in an attempt to justify the affair. This is why you need to focus on her ACTIONS. She never brought up divorce until AFTER her affair began. Dr Harley has counseled thousands of couples over 45+ years in his professional career.

Originally Posted by Dr Bill Harley
"I've seen so many spouses lie about affairs, that when one spouse wants a separation, my best guess is that he or she is having an affair. I'm right almost every time.

Why would anyone need to be alone to sort things out? It makes much more sense to think that being separated makes it easier to be with their lover. Granted, there are many good reasons for a separation, such as physical or extreme mental abuse. But of all those I've seen separate, most have had lovers in the wings."
here

Exposure 101

D
OP Offline
D
[

If the affair isn't the reason for the divorce, why was it never brought up until after her affair began?

Wife says tonight that she called about the Kids First classes to postpone and said that the classes were non-refundable. She also said that she talked to the kids about the classes and I got snarky and said well, I'm glad you talked to them alone about it. Her reply was,well, I tried to get you to talk withbisball about it.

Once again, she said that 12 years of marriage was hard on her. I said I understood and that neither one of us wants that marriage.

Lastly, she said that she waiting to save enough money for an attorney since it looks like we're going that route rather than mediation.

It's so hard for me to engage in any conversation around this. I just sorta [censored] down.

D
OP Offline
D
Lol, was supposed to be "shut"...

M
M
[

Wife says tonight that she called about the Kids First classes to postpone and said that the classes were non-refundable. She also said that she talked to the kids about the classes and I got snarky and said well, I'm glad you talked to them alone about it. Her reply was,well, I tried to get you to talk withbisball about it.

Don't be snarky! I think this would be very confusing to your kids since you may never get divorced. That's a hard burden to put on them. This should happen if and when divorce is ever filed. She has been talking divorce for a long time but has never gone to the trouble of filing. I feel badly for your kids.

Exposure 101

D
OP Offline
D
I need to learn how to meet her emotional needs even when she has closed herself off and keep talking up divorce. When she brings up how hurt she's been in the marriage or when she starts talking about divorcing, I just kind of [censored] down. I'm taking advantage of these opportunities to do something, to try to connect.

M
M
I need to learn how to meet her emotional needs even when she has closed herself off and keep talking up divorce. When she brings up how hurt she's been in the marriage or when she starts talking about divorcing, I just kind of [censored] down. I'm taking advantage of these opportunities to do something, to try to connect.

It's a good opportunity to have a conversation. Just don't be snarky and stay away from lovebusters. You DO understand the concept of lovebusters, right? One lovebuster will undo the effect of many lovebank deposits.

EVEN SO, you need get that spyware on her phone to find out what she is doing. I am not convinced at all that contact has ended.Even a wetbrain is clever enough to delete text messages and emails. She DOES NOT act like someone who is in withdrawal and has given up on her affair.

Exposure 101

M
M
Did you read the book Surviving an Affair? I thought you told me you had ordered it. Will you read through this series of articles about the Basic Concepts? It's real important that you understand how romantic love is created, sustained and how it ruined. https://www.marriagebuilders.com/basic-concepts.htm

Exposure 101

D
OP Offline
D

It's a good opportunity to have a conversation. Just don't be snarky and stay away from lovebusters. You DO understand the concept of lovebusters, right? One lovebuster will undo the effect of many lovebank deposits.

EVEN SO, you need get that spyware on her phone to find out what she is doing. I am not convinced at all that contact has ended.Even a wetbrain is clever enough to delete text messages and emails. She DOES NOT act like someone who is in withdrawal and has given up on her affair.

I understand the concept of love busters, like disrespectful judgments and angry outbursts, so I can avoid those. More important to me is how turn shift from a complaint, eg, this marriage has been so bad for me, to a conversation that might meet an emotional need. Maybe that complaint (and I'm not intending to minimize what she's experienced and expressing as a mere complaint) isn't a jumping off point.

I am a complete idiot in this space of intimate conversation.

D
OP Offline
D
Did you read the book Surviving an Affair? I thought you told me you had ordered it. Will you read through this series of articles about the Basic Concepts? It's real important that you understand how romantic love is created, sustained and how it ruined. https://www.marriagebuilders.com/basic-concepts.htm

Reading SAA now.

The problem I am having is in application. In other words, in SAA, both Sue and Kevin were in an ongoing affair and knew they were. My wife, as of now, considers the affair done since the OM requested no further communication. Neither my wife or the OM has written that no contact letter that Harley has in SAA. Hence, as I am reading SAA, I see Sue and Kevin taking that first step of a no contact letter which is really a step toward reconciliation. I don't see the equivalency here.

My wife, although not displaying signs of ending the affair, appears to be no contact (I'm working on confirming). Should I be requesting her to draft or do I draft a no contact letter like that in SAA? The no contact letter is really a first step toward reconciliation, but my wife has zero desire to move toward reconciliation. So I imagine she'd just say no to a request to send a no contact letter because the no contact letter indicated that she's turning back to the marriage.

I think I'll reach out to the OMW to encourage her to draft, with her husband, a no contact letter to my wife and encourage a very clear communication that the relationship for OM is over and he's turning to the marriage. I wonder if that changes my wife's calculus to receive that letter, in other words, the fantasy of him ultimately being available disappears, hence, reality intrudes and incentivizes reconciliation for her.

D
OP Offline
D
Oh, over the weekend I set up a new sole checking account. I'm prepping to have my direct deposit changed from our joint to my checking account.

Does this action fit in Plan A?

M
M

I understand the concept of love busters, like disrespectful judgments and angry outbursts, so I can avoid those. More important to me is how turn shift from a complaint, eg, this marriage has been so bad for me, to a conversation that might meet an emotional need. Maybe that complaint (and I'm not intending to minimize what she's experienced and expressing as a mere complaint) isn't a jumping off point.

I am a complete idiot in this space of intimate conversation.

It IS meeting her emotional needs to listen to her complaints and take them seriously. You should address them as she brings them up. Don't debate or argue about it, but get her perspective so you can do better in the future. Remember, a complaint is an opportunity for improvement in a good marriage and an irritation in a bad marriage.

Exposure 101

M
M

Reading SAA now.

The problem I am having is in application. In other words, in SAA, both Sue and Kevin were in an ongoing affair and knew they were. My wife, as of now, considers the affair done since the OM requested no further communication. Neither my wife or the OM has written that no contact letter that Harley has in SAA. Hence, as I am reading SAA, I see Sue and Kevin taking that first step of a no contact letter which is really a step toward reconciliation. I don't see the equivalency here.

Who said every situation was the same? They are not. The objective of reading the book is to understand WHY affairs happen and to know how to recover your marriage. It will help you understand some of the advice we are giving. Just because you are in a different phase from Sue and Kevin does not mean the book does not apply.

My wife, although not displaying signs of ending the affair, appears to be no contact (I'm working on confirming). Should I be requesting her to draft or do I draft a no contact letter like that in SAA? The no contact letter is really a first step toward reconciliation, but my wife has zero desire to move toward reconciliation. So I imagine she'd just say no to a request to send a no contact letter because the no contact letter indicated that she's turning back to the marriage.

No, you are not at that point yet. The affair is very likely still in place. And of course, your marriage may never recover. But you can do everything in your power to bring it to that stage. If not, you would get a divorce.

I think I'll reach out to the OMW to encourage her to draft, with her husband, a no contact letter to my wife and encourage a very clear communication that the relationship for OM is over and he's turning to the marriage. I wonder if that changes my wife's calculus to receive that letter, in other words, the fantasy of him ultimately being available disappears, hence, reality intrudes and incentivizes reconciliation for her.

Yes and no. It might help a little bit, but will be meaningless if there is a plan in place to meet up in the future. They may have taken a temporary time out and they may still be in contact. The fact that she is not in withdrawal makes me think something is still very active.

The fantasy of him being available will be ruined if you expose the affair to his family!

Exposure 101

M
M
Oh, over the weekend I set up a new sole checking account. I'm prepping to have my direct deposit changed from our joint to my checking account.

Does this action fit in Plan A?

That's fine! It is a good idea to protect your finances if you have a spouse who is making divorce threats.

Exposure 101

M
M
P.S. regarding her complaints, I do understand some complaints from a foggy spouse are often manufactured or exaggerated. They typically rewrite history. Some of her complaints might not be serious, but you should treat them as such and not turn it into an argument.

Exposure 101

Page 16 of 55 1 2 14 15 16 17 18 54 55

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 1,188 guests, and 64 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil, daveamec, janyline
71,836 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation