Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#3012612 03/25/20 09:30 PM
D
desty Offline OP
OP Offline
D
I'll try and make this short and not a soap opera. This forum helped me in a great time of need. My divorce was final about a year and a half ago. I worked a ton of hours running my store and my wife had a 5 year + affair with the husband of family friends. Wife said I wprked too much . We went on vacations together and our kids were best friends. Long story short... I never knew the extent of the affair
.but as I have always known..it was probably much worse than I knew ( 5+). Never knew of it was physical but we decided to try and work it out (6 plus years ago). He would keep showing up..ex. His now ex wifes daughter found a phone in tue shower a year after we decided to work it out. It had my wifes cell and her work number. When I approached her, she said, " Do you think I like it when he calls me at work"? There are many more examples..and he lived down the street. Walked the dog past my house every night.
I try not to think about her...but my kids mentioned that they had to go home and let out the dog one weekend..and my friend saw someone with her. I assume its the affair partner.
My gut always told me it was very serious, even though she said there was no connection and I wouldn't ever change (working).
I am a great father, provider and I think an all around nice guy.
My questions:
1. I was doing fine..until recently when I heard what I already knew.
2. Why now ..am I constantly thinking of the two of them together.
3. Why do I keep blaming myself for all the problems in my marriage?

Thanks....

D
desty Offline OP
OP Offline
D
[quote=desty]I'll try and make this short and not a soap opera. This forum helped me in a great time of need. My divorce was final about a year and a half ago. I worked a ton of hours running my store and my wife had a 5 year + affair with the husband of family friends. Wife said I worked too much . We went on vacations together and our kids were best friends. Long story short... I never knew the extent of the affair
.but as I have always known..it was probably much worse than I knew ( 5+). Never knew of it was physical but we decided to try and work it out (6 plus years ago). He would keep showing up..ex. His now ex wifes ( he got divorced when the affair came out) daughter found a phone in the shower a year after we decided to work it out. It had my wifes cell and her work number. When I approached her, she said, " Do you think I like it when he calls me at work"? There are many more examples..and he lived down the street. Walked the dog past my house every night.
To the present:
I try not to think about her...and honestly I was doing great,but my kids mentioned that they had to go home and let out the dog one weekend..and my friend saw someone with her. I assume its the affair partner.
My gut always told me it was very serious, even though she said there was no connection and I wouldn't ever change (working).
My questions:
1. I was doing fine..until recently when I heard what I already knew. Now I am back to thinking...

I clearly know it's over...just want to clear my mind and move on..
Thanks....

D
desty Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Just an update. Many of you helped me a couple years ago. I remember several people including Melody Lane. Melody..you helped me get to and through the divorce. Thought I was all set.

S
S
Originally Posted by desty
I try not to think about her...but my kids mentioned that they had to go home and let out the dog one weekend..and my friend saw someone with her. I assume its the affair partner.
My questions:
1. I was doing fine..until recently when I heard what I already knew.
It sounds as if you do not know whom she was with that weekend, and you do not know whether she is with OM more generally.

She had a long-term affair during your marriage - not because you were doing anything wrong. She enjoyed having her needs met by two men.

You need to find a way to let this go, and stop beating yourself up about it.

BW
Married 1989
His PA 2003-2006
2 kids.
H
H
And please don‘t fall for the „I am a nice guy and women are attracted to alpha males“ ruse. That is as intelligent as saying that guys are attracted to strippers, but end up settling for nice girls.

Last edited by happyheart; 03/26/20 11:16 AM.

me, DH
all the children
D
desty Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Thanks..not sure if the Nice guy comment is a dig or not. Just saying that I consider myself a traditional gentleman. I beat myself up because apparently I didn't pay any attention to my wife because I worked too much. I am not an alpha male. ( At this point in my life..not sure if that's a good or bad thing).
When I left the last time...my kids told me that it was about time and ot wasn't my fault. Thats should be enough...yet I continue to feel as a failure in my marriage.

M
M
Hi Desty, just know that you could have been the husband of the year and your wife would have still had an affair if she had poor boundaries. The fact that she had an affair proves that. Please stop blaming yourself. Sometimes divorce is the definition of success. You can go onto to have a happy, fulfilled life with another woman. I hope you can focus your thoughts on creating a happy life for yourself and your children.

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

D
desty Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Thanks Melody Lane. I really don't want her back and I was doing really great. Not sure why I started thinking again. Probably because she's still with the same guy...happy and I just miss my family.

D
desty Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Melody,
I have come a long way and I think this feeling on missing my wife came about during this crisis we are in. That, plus the fact that my friend saw her with someone ( I understand we have been divorced a year, and she can do what she wamts)....I guess the affair and the fact that she moved on along time ago..make me miss her more. Just wondering if this is a normal stage. I do realize that my life would be a series of mind numbness if I ever even had the chance to speak with her. In fact, I would never know if she was telling the truth on anything. I am so tired of looking at my entire marraige as if I was so lucky without even entertaining the fact that I might be worth it as well.
This book is almost to the end..I just want to stop thinking about it and focus all my energy on me.

M
M
Desty, you can do better in the future. There are some men here who have gone on, remarried and have happy content lives today. You can have that too. I understand it is a hard thing to get over, but you can do it.

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 1,116 guests, and 67 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Mike69, petercgeelan, Zorya, Reyna98, Nofoguy
71,829 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation