Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#735369 09/18/02 03:14 PM
E
EJmom2B Offline OP
OP Offline
E
Not new to MB, I've been on the OC board for a few months.

New to the divorce board, as we recently decided to go ahead and split. I've lurked here for about a month.

I have a question about contact levels.

One of my issues is that my H and I are constantly cycling between tension, fighting, and honeymooning (cycle of violence for any DV people out there). So NOW that he lied, lied, slept around, lied some more, and moved out on me, he is "seeing the error of his ways" and being very attentive and sweet (moved out 9/15).

I'm very vulnerable, and liable to fall for the honeymoon again. I don't want to continue this way, but of course I love him and giving that up is soooooooo hard.

I told him it was ok to stay for dinner tonight and put our son to bed (something they always do). I'm worried about the message that sends to my son and to me AND to my H.

Any thoughts??? From those who have done it both ways??
THANKS!
EJ

#735370 09/18/02 05:13 PM
W
W
EJ,
I would get into Plan A, and seek out a "MC" to help you and your "H" sift through all these emotions.
Stay Strong!
Wallace

#735371 09/18/02 05:20 PM
E
E
Cycle of violence ... so at least you recognize it and understand where you're at in it.

What steps has he taken to prove to you that once the honeymoon period is over, that he won't feel 'safe and secure' enough to cycle back into the tension and fighting?

What have you done to protect yourself and your son from this cycle?

Please check out zorweb's Domestic Violence post.

You can't Plan A or Plan B until the violence is dealt with.

#735372 09/18/02 10:23 PM
G
G
EJmom2B -

I was in that same cycle and it's really hard to think clearly when you are in it.

Having been there and done that I would recommend that you work on yourself by going to a al-anon or codependent's anon - they are free and learn how to detach. These groups give support, ideas and strength.

I'd also read Co-dependent No More by Melony Beattie - great book!

You need to focus on what is best for you and the children and not H if he is going to continue in this cycle - which he will continue to do if you let him.

You need to set some boundaries - the Boundaries book or Boundaries in Marriage by Townsend and Cloud are good reads too.

You will enable his behavior unless you take yourself out of the cycle - and this is an unhealthy relationship and not what a marriage should be - read the info, on the site to learn what a marriage can and should be.

Also, think about the lesson that you want your children to learn. They will pattern their behaviors off of observing how you handle your life and how you let others treat you.

It's not easy, but with a support system an dpossibly a counselor, you can make your life what it should be - peaceful and happy for you and your kids.

K

#735373 09/19/02 10:05 AM
E
EJmom2B Offline OP
OP Offline
E
Thanks for replying!

As for plans A and B, I'm in plan B now as much as possible with our child in the picture.

As for DV, I am a counselor myself and worked in a DV shelter for a year, so I know some stuff (in fact, working there last year was my "aha" moment about what my H was doing to me emotionally). Luckily there was never any physical violence involved, only the mental crudola. I kicked him out, things got better, but in the last three months I have seen him backsliding on behaviors.

Anyway, thanks for the advice. I have been considering a CODA type meeting, but need to explore the options in my area!
EJ

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 317 guests, and 51 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Confused1980, Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms
71,840 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation