Marriage Builders
Posted By: Fraggles marriage counselors - 02/14/04 01:17 AM
My FHW and I are in IC (separate C) and are at a point where we want to start MC. Our C's have suggested we visit each other's Cs together for a few sessions, then go from there to chose a steady for MC. We are both pretty comfortable with this.
Does this sound like something that is a good idea? Has anyone else done the same thing? Or should we find a separate MC altogether?
Posted By: stunned-dad-fast recovering Re: marriage counselors - 02/14/04 02:36 AM
Both my wife's and mine IC serves as our MC as well.

It can be a plus and a minus.

When she was in the denial stage it was not a healthy setup. I was paranoid that she was telling our therapist things and our therapist was not telling me. I was very confrontational in the early MC meetings because I knew the story she was saying just wasn't true.

But now that we are actually working on recovery its a huge plus. Because she can work with both of us in our IC sessions so that when we have MC we both are on the same page with each other.
Posted By: Fraggles Re: marriage counselors - 02/14/04 03:54 PM
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Originally posted by stunned-dad-fast recovering:
<strong> Both my wife's and mine IC serves as our MC as well.

It can be a plus and a minus.

When she was in the denial stage it was not a healthy setup. I was paranoid that she was telling our therapist things and our therapist was not telling me. I was very confrontational in the early MC meetings because I knew the story she was saying just wasn't true.

But now that we are actually working on recovery its a huge plus. Because she can work with both of us in our IC sessions so that when we have MC we both are on the same page with each other. </strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">SDFR,
My FWH was/is not in denial, didn't have withdrawl, and is whole-heartedly into recovery. I thought it would be good for both of us to visit each other's C so that in the beginning we both feel "represented" in some way. We are going to my C the week after next together.

I am so excited about getting into MC! We really want to learn and move on from here.

Thanks for your response!
Posted By: Spider Slayer Re: marriage counselors - 02/14/04 04:14 PM
My WH and I each have our own IC, and a separate MT. We chose that because my WH is having trust issues. However, he gave permission for our MT to communicate with his IC (and of course I gave my permission for MT to talk to my IC), and he and I both gave permission for our IC to communicate with each other.

I think our IC, out of necessity, kind of take sides, for our own mental health. So, I don't know how effective, without trust issues involved, going to each other's IC would be.

Hmmmmmm, interesting. Keep posting and let us know how it is going!

Amy
© Marriage BuildersĀ® Forums