Marriage Builders
Posted By: AskMe Friendship in marrriage - 12/15/05 02:20 PM
I have always heard it said that spouses are suppose to be best friends, but sometimes I wonder. It seems like while to some extent that is true, the way spouses treat their other best friends is different from the way they treat their spouses. For instance, I have seen my wife boiling angry at her best friend, but she calmed down and then managed to talk about the problem with her. Had that been me I would have gotten the full dose of anger.

So, why is it there is such a difference when it comes to the spouse? Why don't we treat spouses with more respect and treat them as a more special friend?
Posted By: Eagle15 Re: Friendship in marrriage - 12/15/05 02:27 PM
Read LB by Harley, first couple of chapters, it explains it all. My WW just finished and now understands and has changed her attitude from trying and cant give 100% maybe around 30 - 50% to Giving 110%. A lot of it has to do with you are aware of most of your S's deepests and intimate thoughts and feelings and you know what buttons or triggers to push/pull for maximum effect (read that as hurt), therefore you do more damage right off the bat and your S knows that whereas a good friend can be seen as making an honest mistake when they make your S mad. Big difference in perspective from the S's point of view.
© Marriage BuildersĀ® Forums