Marriage Builders
Posted By: Upside_Down Anybody see Revolutionary Road? - 01/12/09 07:36 PM
Supposed to be a 4 star movie. WW would like to see it. I'm not so sure. Feel like I would be paying to torture myself. But since my WW is tends to be a conflict-avoider I'm thinking it's not a bad idea. Not like we can pretend the A didn't happen anyway. In general what is your opinion on watching affair-related ones? At least the ones that don't glamorize it. On one hand its a trigger but on the other it could bring up interesting point to consider in recovery or to prevent another A.

Posted By: hope3343 Re: Anybody see Revolutionary Road? - 01/12/09 08:32 PM
I did not get the impression that RR was about an affair. I thought it was about a married couple that moved to the burbs and try to fit into a preconcived idea of what their lifes should be.
I only saw the trailer and it did not suggest A.

I know I have a very difficult time watching A based subject matter even though I am on my own. Rethonte Inn and The Women -- I sat through both and started to cry.
Posted By: Upside_Down Re: Anybody see Revolutionary Road? - 01/12/09 08:45 PM
There is adultery in the movie - on both sides.

Posted By: Maribel4 Re: Anybody see Revolutionary Road? - 01/12/09 08:51 PM
This morning, I put RR on my Netflix queue rental. Now that I am aware that there are A's in this movie, I don't think that I want to watch it. I still have a hard time watching any movies that are A-related.
Posted By: Nowisthemoment Re: Anybody see Revolutionary Road? - 01/12/09 09:25 PM
My H and I went to the cinema to watch it last week.

It is a little on the depressing side. Surprisingly, we then went on to discuss it afterwards.

It is not specifically about affairs. Affairs do happen. It is more about unfulfilled hopes and dreams and the gulf that widens between the H and W in marriage. I think the adultery is to show that both parties are not happy in their marriages for differing reasons and are seeking validation and excitement elsewhere, also FOO issues, unfulfilled desires, stuck in disappointing suburbia and wondering if there is more to life etc etc). Also it is set in the 50's, I think. Still very much about doing your duty and others' expectations of you. It is about the increasingly poor communication between husband and wife, depression and disappointment and the ultimate price to pay for dashed hopes.

For us, we could identify with different emotions and thoughts that the H and W must have been going through.

From my own personal experience, at one point in our M, wanted my H to 'stop talking'. I felt so overwhelmed and depressed I couldn't think (you"ll see what I mean if you watch the film).

Ooooh, and the mentally ill character that comes to visit the family is a very interesting one!

This is my take on it, anyway.

© Marriage BuildersĀ® Forums