Marriage Builders
Posted By: Mitzi My Grandma needs your prayers! - 04/15/01 03:07 AM
<BR>Hey guys!<P>This is off topic but I need you all right now. Well, my gran does.<P>She's 90 and is in the hospital with a huge cyst on her pancreas, tumors around her pancreas, and pneumonia. The doctors aren't sure if she'd make it thru surgery or not, but without it she'll starve to death. <P>I've seen miracles with this lady before. 2 years ago, she almost died 3 times within 6 weeks. She had congestive heart failure and her kidneys had shut down. All three times, she came back to us. The doctors didn't do anything but make her comfortable since she has a DNR clause in her will. So, it was sheer willpower and determination and a lot of help from above. It just wasn't her time. <P>I'm a peace with the fact that she could die this time. If she does, I'll thank God for every day that I've had with her. I just don't want her to suffer.<P>Thanks,<BR>Mitzi [Linked Image from marriagebuilders.com]<P>
Posted By: LMS Re: My Grandma needs your prayers! - 04/15/01 03:14 AM
you got em mitzi..my thoughts are with you honey. <BR>all my love <BR>Lesa<P>------------------<BR>"It took me quite a while to realize that <B>the real deal</B> is to be able to be enough of a person on your own to know when somebody loves you and cares about you"<BR>----Stevie Ray Vaughan<P>"Trust in the Lord with all thine heart, and<BR> lean not unto thine own understanding." -Proverbs 3:5<BR>Take care and God Bless.<P> lms20ish@fidnet.com
Posted By: LMS Re: My Grandma needs your prayers! - 04/15/01 03:16 AM
oops hit that darn button twice. <BR>all my love <BR>Lesa<P><BR>------------------<BR>"It took me quite a while to realize that <B>the real deal</B> is to be able to be enough of a person on your own to know when somebody loves you and cares about you"<BR>----Stevie Ray Vaughan<P><BR>"Trust in the Lord with all thine heart, and<BR> lean not unto thine own understanding." -Proverbs 3:5<BR>Take care and God Bless.<P><BR> lms20ish@fidnet.com <p>[This message has been edited by LMS (edited April 14, 2001).]
Posted By: LMS Re: My Grandma needs your prayers! - 04/15/01 03:19 AM
ok so maybe three times loly. <BR>all my love <BR>Lesa<P><BR>------------------<BR>"It took me quite a while to realize that <B>the real deal</B> is to be able to be enough of a person on your own to know when somebody loves you and cares about you"<BR>----Stevie Ray Vaughan<P><BR>"Trust in the Lord with all thine heart, and<BR> lean not unto thine own understanding." -Proverbs 3:5<BR>Take care and God Bless.<P><BR> lms20ish@fidnet.com <p>[This message has been edited by LMS (edited April 14, 2001).]
Posted By: mrrlk Re: My Grandma needs your prayers! - 04/15/01 04:32 AM
Mitzi-<P>Hello stranger...well I hope you are doing as well as can be expected. You know I'm one of your biggest fans cause you for sure have come so far! As I've said before...you make us all have to work a little harder at what we do in our lives and how we try to grow and move forward.<P>I'm sorry about your "Gran"...grandparents do hold a special place in our lives and souls and all you can do is try and be there for her and let her know that. She sounds like a real fighter and that she has come off the ropes swinging before. Take care of yourself and I'll say a few words for both of you tomorrow.<P>Take care...<P>Mr. R
Posted By: kam6318 Re: My Grandma needs your prayers! - 04/15/01 10:46 AM
Prayers going up now...<P>Kathi
Posted By: WilliamJ Re: My Grandma needs your prayers! - 04/15/01 01:08 PM
Mitzi,<P>I hate hearing stories like this...Your Gram is in my thoughts and prayers...<P>God-speed to her...<P>Bill
Posted By: DanaB Re: My Grandma needs your prayers! - 04/15/01 02:00 PM
(((((((((((MITZI)))))))))))))<P>My thoughts and prayers are with you and your grandma, and family. hugs, Dana<BR>
Posted By: Mitzi Re: My Grandma needs your prayers! - 04/15/01 02:02 PM
Hey Lesa,<P>Ok, so my Gran got 3X as manyprayers from you! [Linked Image from marriagebuilders.com] Thanks! Love ya, too!<P>Mr. R,<P>Stranger is right! Thanks for popping in to help my Gran! It really means a lot to me. [Linked Image from marriagebuilders.com]<P>Kathi,<P>Thanks. [Linked Image from marriagebuilders.com]<P>Bill,<P>Yeah, it's an awful thing to read about but it's Easter, a time of miracles! She's completely at peace with her life, and knows that God will take care of her.<P>Thanks for the prayers!<BR>Mitzi [Linked Image from marriagebuilders.com]
Posted By: Mitzi Re: My Grandma needs your prayers! - 04/15/01 02:03 PM
Hi Dana,<P>Thanks for the prayers!<P>Mitzi [Linked Image from marriagebuilders.com]
Posted By: lostva Re: My Grandma needs your prayers! - 04/15/01 03:22 PM
Our prayers are with you, too, Mitzi.<P>Love,<P>Lori
Posted By: new_beginning Re: My Grandma needs your prayers! - 04/15/01 04:15 PM
I have a 90 year old "Nana" too...<P>Prayers going!!!!!!!<P>------------------<BR>~Sheryl<BR>(a bit worse for the wear, but hanging in there)<P><B>Life <I>is</I> difficult</B>.<BR><I>The Road Less Traveled</I><BR>~M. Scott Peck
Posted By: NSR Re: My Grandma needs your prayers! - 04/15/01 08:55 PM
My prayers go to your GrandMa and you and your family.<P> [Linked Image from marriagebuilders.com]<P>Jim
Posted By: Ragamuffin Re: My Grandma needs your prayers! - 04/15/01 10:52 PM
(((((Mitzi))))),<P>Thoughts and prayers from me to you and your family! <P>This last Friday (Good Friday) my best friend in the whole wide world (thirty years) lost her mother. A weekend of being in a place I'm not used to being in. See, my friend has ALWAYS been the strong one. Now I can be HER shoulder and she's allowing me to do so. My friend and I have shared many things in life together.<P>I'm 46 and my Grandmother turned 90 last January.<P>Thinking of you,<P>Ragamuffin<P><BR>
Posted By: bonnet Re: My Grandma needs your prayers! - 04/16/01 05:40 AM
Hi Mitzi,<P>sorry I'm late.<P>Your gran is in my prayers, and I've just lit a candle for her.<P>love and hugs to you my friend, you're in my prayers too<P>Jo
Posted By: Mitzi Re: My Grandma needs your prayers! - 04/16/01 12:52 PM
Lori, Sheryl, Jim, Ragamuffin, and Jo,<P>Thanks for all of your thoughts and prayers. [Linked Image from marriagebuilders.com]<P>Gran is having more tests run today to see what her chances are of making it thru surgery. If she can have the surgery, she'll probably be moved to a hospital that is 2 hours away. So far, she's doing ok, but she can't eat and it's making her very weak. Please keep her in your prayers.<P>Love,<BR>Mitzi [Linked Image from marriagebuilders.com]
Posted By: c00ker Re: My Grandma needs your prayers! - 04/16/01 01:56 PM
Hi Mitzi,<P>Add my thoughts & prayers too. Hope she starts feeling better soon.<P>Take care...<P>------------------<BR>nick<P>it's only time that heals the pain <BR>and makes the sun come out again
Posted By: cinderella Re: My Grandma needs your prayers! - 04/16/01 08:05 PM
My maternal grandfather and paternal grandmother died before I was born. My paternal grandfather and his second wife lived across the street from us until I was 6 and then he died suddenly. My maternal grandmother lived several hours away from us and she died when I was 15. <P>I really envy you. I basically grew up without grandparents.<P>I do so hope and pray that all goes well for your grandmother and that you get to keep her for quiet a while yet. <P>((((((((Mitzi))))))))<P>
Posted By: Mitzi Re: My Grandma needs your prayers! - 04/17/01 12:07 AM
Nick,<P>Thanks. [Linked Image from marriagebuilders.com]<P>Cinderella,<P>She has been my only grandparent for the past 27 years. Both of my paternal grandparents died before I was born and my maternal grandfather died when I was 4. She has lived within 5 miles of me all of my life. I got to see her almost daily.<P>She is now at the hospital 2 hours away in Morgantown, WV. <P>Mitzi [Linked Image from marriagebuilders.com]
Posted By: Mitzi Re: My Grandma needs your prayers! - 04/19/01 02:51 AM
I want to thank all of you for your thoughts and prayers. <P>We found out today that my Gran has pancreatic cancer. She's been given 3-6 months to live. [Linked Image from marriagebuilders.com]<P><sigh><BR>Mitzi
Posted By: new_beginning Re: My Grandma needs your prayers! - 04/19/01 02:53 AM
Oh God, I'm so sorry!!!! [Linked Image from marriagebuilders.com]<P>My Nana just got all the tests this week... bladder problems... 90 in November...<P>We're waiting... and I understand...<P>(((((Mitzi and Grandma))))) with prayers going up!!<P>------------------<BR>~Sheryl<BR>(a bit worse for the wear, but hanging in there)<P><B>Life <I>is</I> difficult</B>.<BR><I>The Road Less Traveled</I><BR>~M. Scott Peck
Posted By: Mitzi Re: My Grandma needs your prayers! - 04/19/01 03:14 AM
Thanks Sheryl,<P>I'm trying to figure out how I'm gonna spend enough time with her before she dies. How do I let her know how much I love her? I really hate this. [Linked Image from marriagebuilders.com]<P>Mitzi
Posted By: new_beginning Re: My Grandma needs your prayers! - 04/19/01 03:17 AM
I know Sweetie...<P>I tell Nana EVERY TIME I talk to her how much I love her... I guess that's what we need to do... maybe share memories... my Nana loves that!... things that make her feel good, since her memory (short-term) is not too good. But man, she remembers how we ate lunch at Buffums when I was 10 [Linked Image from marriagebuilders.com] and it makes me feel good to see her face light up or hear her voice get stronger.<P>Love, Sheryl
Posted By: Mitzi Re: My Grandma needs your prayers! - 04/19/01 03:25 AM
Sheryl,<P>Me and my Gran talk about the past all the time. I'm a big genealogy "expert"! LOL She has a great memory and shares stories with me about when she was growing up. I love listening to her. Since she's still doing basically ok, I thought about maybe video taping her telling about her childhood and stories about her parents and grandparents that I never knew. It would be something great for me and my children. She remembers so much, like the Flu Epidemic of 1918, most of the wars, my great-great grandmother. So much that needs to be shared. <P>And she definately knows how much I love her. She had to tell me to come home today and get the boys. She told me she would be ok. They're going to discharge her either tomorrow or Friday and I promised her that I would see her as soon as she got back to the nursing home. <P>I'm glad you still have your Nana! Never forget to tell her how much you love her!!<P>Love,<BR>Mitzi
Posted By: new_beginning Re: My Grandma needs your prayers! - 04/19/01 03:34 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mitzi:<BR><B>Since she's still doing basically ok, I thought about maybe video taping her telling about her childhood and stories about her parents and grandparents that I never knew. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE></B><P>GREAT IDEA!!!!!<P> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><B>I'm glad you still have your Nana! Never forget to tell her how much you love her!!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE></B><P>Me too!!!!!!!!! And I promise, I do tell her every SINGLE time I talk to her or see her...<P>I adore her!!!!!<P>Now it's off to beddy-bye for me...<P>Big Hugs, Mitzi,<P>Sheryl
Posted By: c00ker Re: My Grandma needs your prayers! - 04/19/01 11:06 AM
Mitzi,<P>I'm so sorry to hear about your grandma.<P>I am glad that you & the boys have some time left to spend with her. Although I didn't get to see my grandmother before she died, I spoke to her on the phone every other day, and we had wonderful conversations. I wish she could have met my son though. I think she would have had a fit over a great grandson [Linked Image from marriagebuilders.com]<P>Take care, you & your family are in my prayers...<P>------------------<BR>nick<P>it's only time that heals the pain <BR>and makes the sun come out again
Posted By: Mitzi Re: My Grandma needs your prayers! - 04/19/01 11:52 AM
Hi Nick,<P>I am so glad that my kids got to know my gran! That's one thing that I always wanted. Even though Noah is only 4, I'm sure he'll remember her. They spend a lot of time with their "Great-Ma". <P>Mitzi [Linked Image from marriagebuilders.com]
Posted By: Bumperii Re: My Grandma needs your prayers! - 04/19/01 01:00 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mitzi:<BR><B><BR>I'm trying to figure out how I'm gonna spend enough time with her before she dies. How do I let her know how much I love her? I really hate this. <BR></B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Mitzi,<P>I am so sorry to hear about your grandmother. You are both in our thoughts and prayers. <P>We recently had a similar experience, and found a great deal of help, understanding and support from a hospice program. This sounds awful selfish, but the surviving family was probably helped as much by the hospice nurse as the dying person. The greatest lesson learned was that just because an aging loved one is at times uncommunicative, maybe even disoriented, it doesn't mean that she is any less of a person. She will still sense and appreciate the loving touch, the time and the care you give her.<P>You are all in our prayers. <P>Bumper<P><BR>
Posted By: Mitzi Re: My Grandma needs your prayers! - 04/19/01 02:10 PM
Bumper,<P>Thank you.<P>We've also dealt with the hospice. And it is truly wonderful, and not selfish at all. My mom and all of her 12 brothers and sisters took care of my grandfather when he was dying in 1973. It was draining. But he got his wish and died at home. Now, my mom and aunts and uncles are older and it would be too difficult for them to take care of Gran. And they don't want the grandchildren to have to do it. So Gran will probably be in the nursing home until it gets closer to the end and will more than likely be moved to the hospice unit at the hospital. It's tough to think about but it's reality.<P>Thanks again,<BR>Mitzi [Linked Image from marriagebuilders.com]
Posted By: cinderella Re: My Grandma needs your prayers! - 04/19/01 02:19 PM
Oh, Mitzi! I am so sorry to hear the news. The video tapes are a great idea. And if she won't agree to that, then do audio tapes. Then she won't have to fuss about her appearance. One way to remove that obstacle to her talking freely and without self-consciousness.<P>I'm glad you do have some time left together. That's something I never had with any of my grandparents. <P>You know, I am the oldest person born into my grandfather's family in this part of the country. I think I have some cousins around Chicago and some in California but I don't even know their names. And my cousins here never acknowledged my son's birth. My sister and I feel like they think they are better than us. It must be wonderful to have close family. All I have is my mom and my sister. And sometimes I don't know about that sister. <P>So have a hug and some prayers.<P>((((((((((Mitzi))))))))))
Posted By: Bumperii Re: My Grandma needs your prayers! - 04/19/01 06:11 PM
It's a Long Good-bye<P>She's leaving me, little by little, <BR>I wish she wouldn't' go.<BR>I will be there as long as she needs me.<BR>How will I let her know?<P>I'd like to hold onto the memories,<BR>I'd also like to share.<BR>But she's further away, getting further away.<BR>And yet she's always there.<P>It's a long good-bye, <BR>And yet I believe that she can sense us.<BR>So much time between now and then, <BR>When it's only time against us<P>There are times she almost seems like herself.<BR>Sometimes it's just a phase, <BR>A part of the person I once knew<BR>And sometimes just a trace.<P>It's a long good-bye, <BR>And still I don't know what to say.<BR>There's so much time between now and then,<BR>Because she goes away.<P>It's a long good-bye,<BR>Tell me how do the others do it?<BR>There's so much time between now and then,<BR>How do we get through it?<P>It's a long good-bye.<P>From Alzeheimer's Association of Omaha, Nebraska News letter. Author Unknown<BR>
Posted By: new_beginning Re: My Grandma needs your prayers! - 04/19/01 06:16 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Bumperii:<BR><B>It's a Long Good-bye<P>She's leaving me, little by little, <BR>I wish she wouldn't' go.<BR>I will be there as long as she needs me.<BR>How will I let her know?<P>I'd like to hold onto the memories,<BR>I'd also like to share.<BR>But she's further away, getting further away.<BR>And yet she's always there.<P>It's a long good-bye, <BR>And yet I believe that she can sense us.<BR>So much time between now and then, <BR>When it's only time against us<P>There are times she almost seems like herself.<BR>Sometimes it's just a phase, <BR>A part of the person I once knew<BR>And sometimes just a trace.<P>It's a long good-bye, <BR>And still I don't know what to say.<BR>There's so much time between now and then,<BR>Because she goes away.<P>It's a long good-bye,<BR>Tell me how do the others do it?<BR>There's so much time between now and then,<BR>How do we get through it?<P>It's a long good-bye.<P>From Alzeheimer's Association of Omaha, Nebraska News letter. Author Unknown</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Mega-tears~~~~~~<P>Beautiful... and sad... and, and... <P><tears>
Posted By: DanaB Re: My Grandma needs your prayers! - 04/19/01 06:25 PM
(((((((Mitzi)))))))<P>I'm sorry to hear about your grandma's condition. I know it hardly seems enough time to do all you can, but take each day as an extra blessing that are a gift from God. After losing someone suddenly in the past, I never got to tell her how much I loved her, or say goodbye, or just share memories with her. I know you'll see her as much as you possibly can. Sending you hugs, Dana<BR>
Posted By: Mitzi Re: My Grandma needs your prayers! - 04/21/01 01:52 AM
Thanks for the poem Bumper. It's beautiful! [Linked Image from marriagebuilders.com]<P>Dana,<P>Thanks for the prayers.<P>It seems that the time I thought I was going to have with her isn't to be. The doctors said this evening that they don't expect her to make it thru the weekend. I wanted it to be quick and I didn't want her to suffer, but I'd hoped for more time. There just never seems to be enough of it. I just can't imagine my life without her. This is a person who I've seen at least every other day for the past almost 32 years. She has always been there for me when I needed her. She has given me so much joy. It's never the right time to say good-bye.<P>Mitzi [Linked Image from marriagebuilders.com]
Posted By: HopelessinAZ Re: My Grandma needs your prayers! - 04/21/01 03:00 AM
Mitzi,<P>I always feel that my words are so inadequate in times like these. Just wanted to let you know that another MBer was thinking about you and your family at this time.
Posted By: c00ker Re: My Grandma needs your prayers! - 04/21/01 10:41 AM
Mitzi,<BR>I am so sorry. I know this is terribly difficult for you, but you and your family will be in my thoughts and prayers all weekend.<P>Take care, and may God watch over you and yours...<P>------------------<BR>nick<P>it's only time that heals the pain <BR>and makes the sun come out again
Posted By: Mitzi Re: My Grandma needs your prayers! - 04/21/01 01:20 PM
Hope,<P>It's not the words you use, it's the thoughts that count. Thank you!<P>Nick,<P>Yeah, pretty difficult. But I'm hanging in there and trying to thank God that she's not going to suffer much. But at the same time, hurting because it's happening too fast. Make sense? <P>Thanks,<BR>Mitzi [Linked Image from marriagebuilders.com]
© Marriage BuildersĀ® Forums