Marriage Builders
Posted By: Bill&Diana Can I refuse to divorce him? - 04/30/03 03:10 PM
Is it possible to refuse to agree to a divorce. My husband claims he still loves his ex wife. I believe it would blow over quickly once out in the open.
Posted By: I LuvNprotect ME Re: Can I refuse to divorce him? - 04/30/03 06:10 PM
First - It is not possible legally to refuse to get a divorce. It will eventually happen. Although you can drag it out.

Second - you never want to make people feel as though their choices are being taken away. If you tell him that you refuse to divorce, it will only make him want to do it all the more.

A better solution would be to lay out your true feelings - that you don't want to divorce and read up on Plan A for more info...Depending on where he is mentally...You may need to move to Plan B or just detaching. But please don't tell him you refuse. Don't tell him you will drag it out either just reaffirm your love for him but don't threaten to take away his choices.

Can you tell us more about your story?
Posted By: Lyxa Re: Can I refuse to divorce him? - 04/30/03 07:16 PM
Your husband claims he still loves his ex-wife... and you think it'll blow over.

<scratches head> What you just wrote... and then about refusing a divorce could imply so many things? What exactly are you asking? Is your husband dv-ing you to get back with his ex?

All you can do is drag out a dv. Eventually it'll happen... and in the meantime, your life is in LIMBO. It's usually better to work it out together than to sit around and wait for a judge to arbitrarily split everything up.
Posted By: itried Re: Can I refuse to divorce him? - 04/30/03 11:22 PM
It takes 2 to get married; 1 to get divorced. tew
Posted By: JJ71197 Re: Can I refuse to divorce him? - 05/01/03 02:24 AM
Do not refuse to him to get a divorce, I agree that will drive him further away. Depending in what state you live in. If you do not sign divorce papers. From the date that it is final, within two years it will be final anyway regardless if you agree or not.

About the fact that he still is in-love with EXW. Did he leave EXW for you? How long were you married? Do you have children together? Does he have children with EXW...

Think about the fact that he wants to leave you for EXW. What is to say he isn't in the fog about which wife he wants at this very moment. Don't set yourself up for a rotating door affect...

Wish you luck.. Work on plan a
© Marriage BuildersĀ® Forums