Marriage Builders
Anyone interested in taking a poll that Al cheated? I hate that I have become such a cynical person since my DH had an A. I used to see the good in everyone, now everyone's a suspect in my eyes. I am getting better though.
Why is it Al and not Tipper?? Anyhow, I always thought Al was a little light in the loafers...
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/05/17/photos-al-goree-new-8875_n_579286.html
think

I wonder why Gore bought a NINE MILLION $ house in Santa Barbara earlier this year?

Curious.
Originally Posted by Pepperband
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/05/17/photos-al-goree-new-8875_n_579286.html
think

I wonder why Gore bought a NINE MILLION $ house in Santa Barbara earlier this year?

Curious.

He needed a Tryst Villa? dance2
Why buy a mansion if you KNOW your marriage is falling apart?

No one would.

Something just happened???
My best friend's friend used to ride horses and sort of dated one of the Gore's daughters back when he was VP. He said that Al was actually very funny and laid back, and would spend a lot of time hanging out with them - basically he is really the complete opposite of his public persona. I dont recall him ever mentioning Tipper.
Originally Posted by ImStaying
Why is it Al and not Tipper?? Anyhow, I always thought Al was a little light in the loafers...

[Linked Image from pic4ever.com]
It says close friends were shocked...that reeks of an affair found out to me....
Originally Posted by stillhere8126
It says close friends were shocked...that reeks of an affair found out to me....

Yepper. ITA.
Pure speculation on my part:

*knock* *knock*

(Al answers door) Yes, total stranger? May I help you?

I just turned 21 and Mom says you're my Daddy.

I have no info, but it would explain a lot

Because it's always the man's fault.

Any women who are involved in an affair are victims. If men are involved, they are perpetrators. If you don't accept that rule, you'll be called a misogynist.

Clear?
No, not clear, silly....
Originally Posted by Enlightened_Ex

Any women who are involved in an affair are victims. If men are involved, they are perpetrators. If you don't accept that rule, you'll be called a misogynist.

Clear?

I think it has more to do w/ the perception that Algore is a big doofus. And Tipper appears to be the most grounded of the the two. *shrug*
Yeah, what Marshmallow said....HAHAHAHA.. doofus..HAHAHAHAHA
Originally Posted by stillhere8126
No, not clear, silly....

Yet it seems to follow. There are no facts presented here, only speculation, and that speculation is there's something wrong with Al's behavior, and not his speaking or political positions.

The assumption is that he's causing problems, acting out or whatever.

That may be true, it may not. But the first assumption is to blame him.

I say it tongue in cheek, yet I was called a misogynist in the past 24 hours for pointing out that most men who are divorced, according to Dr H, are not men who are cheaters, or abusers, contrary to what those who peddle stereotypes would have us believe.

Apparently, refusing to believe that men are perpetrators and women are victims makes me a misogynist.
This just in...

Al and Tipper Gore are separating because she found out that he's been having an affair with global warming
This just in...

Al and Tipper Gore are separating because she found out that he's been having an affair with global warming

a big doofus

HA!! That's exactly what I was thinking all day, that I would've clopped the big doofus on his head a LONG time ago, but since on MB political commentary often gets the poster a trip to banned camp, I refrained...until now! rotflmao

tl
Originally Posted by Marshmallow

Clear?

I think it has more to do w/ the perception that Algore is a big doofus. And Tipper appears to be the most grounded of the the two. *shrug*

From my experience on these boards, I think if a woman is going to have an affair and leave the marriage, it is going to happen before she's 61. Now, Al is a big, powerful political figure who I'm sure attracts his fair share of younger, political groupies (aka Rielle Hunter) looking for financial security.

I'm not saying the men are more to blame than women, I'm just saying that rich, older men have more options. Tipper will probably get a nice financial settlement to keep her mouth shut. Luckily with the gossip reporting these days, we'll probably find out who strayed.
This just in...

She found some carbon footprints outside the bedroom window.
Originally Posted by jmwc95
This just in...

She found some carbon footprints outside the bedroom window.

Probably some big ones judging by the pics of the new digs.
This just in...

Don't they know that divorce causes global warming?

LINK

Heh. You heard it this morning, too, didn't you?

tl
Originally Posted by thndrnltng

tl

I missed his show today. But, I knew he'd tie the study and the news of the divorce together. LOL
Well, there's an article now quoting "friends" who say, "There is no affair." That settles it, as far as I'm concerned. Conversely, Mick Jagger has friends who say that he does NOT have lips that could French kiss Wyoming. Who ya gonna believe?MrRollieEyes
tl

tl

I thought global warming was caused by all that hot air coming out of Al's mouth.
So who gets the internet if the Gores divorce?
Al gets the internet. Broadband, doncha know?

tk
"From my experience on these boards, I think if a woman is going to have an affair and leave the marriage, it is going to happen before she's 61."

I have 37 days to go before I am too old to mess around!
rotflmao
"From my experience on these boards, I think if a woman is going to have an affair and leave the marriage, it is going to happen before she's 61."

rotflmao

Get flirtin', missy! rotflmao
ITA Pep, you better get to gettin it.......

I also suppose that means that Mr Pep has nothing to worry about in 37 more days, he can quit meeting your ENs and all.......

rotflmao

C'mon, nobody D's after 40 years unless something is stinking somewhere. There's more to the story and it's bound to leak out sooner or later......

Originally Posted by Still_Crazy
I also suppose that means that Mr Pep has nothing to worry about in 37 more days, he can quit meeting your ENs and all.......

rotflmao

WTH ???

NOOOOOOOOOOOO
Nooo
Tipper found out that Algore did NOT invent the internet.

Originally Posted by ChaiLover
C'mon, nobody D's after 40 years unless something is stinking somewhere. There's more to the story and it's bound to leak out sooner or later......

I don't know - my in-laws just separated after 42 yrs of marriage, and let me tell, there was NO affair going on! MIL is totally focused on her dog and FIL never leaves his cigarettes or couch or baseball games on tv to connect with ANYONE lol.

I gotta say - that carbon footprints comment had me laughing my head off! smile
Originally Posted by NewPetals

I don't know - my in-laws just separated after 42 yrs of marriage, and let me tell, there was NO affair going on! MIL is totally focused on her dog and FIL never leaves his cigarettes or couch or baseball games on tv to connect with ANYONE lol.

That sounds like marriage failure and something stinking to me. Not every marriage failure involves adultery, although certainly many do.
Originally Posted by Still_Crazy

rotflmao

WTH ???

NOOOOOOOOOOOO
Nooo

Well i mean he has nothing to worry about after you turn 61.......

I was only kidding you know.
Originally Posted by OurHouse
Tipper found out that Algore did NOT invent the internet.

you have grown together for 40 yrs and all of a sudden you grow apart? Something aint right. One would think the last thing on any couple's mind after 40 yrs together and raising a family. Perhaps all those green jobs and carbon credits and the money he accumulated went to his head.
Al Gore once claimed his and Tipper's marriage was the basis for the syrupy, sappy "Love Story" that was the rage way back when.

I wonder who will get the rights to the story now?
Originally Posted by Fred_in_VA
Al Gore once claimed his and Tipper's marriage was the basis for the syrupy, sappy "Love Story" that was the rage way back when.

Wow, between this and inventing the internet that guy's amazing!!! In a grandiose, off-the-wall sort of way.

rotflmao

Nope you forgot the AND part. Oops. wink Love you Pep

I'm with Chai. Happened to me after 37 years...but not being the demure political wife Tipper is, there was no quiet "amicable" divorce-- I shouted "FOUL!" from the rooftops. lashes
Dr. Harley is quoted in this CNN article about the Gore divorce. Guess what he says is the reason for the split?

http://www.cnn.com/2010/LIVING/06/02/al.gore.separation.40years.marriage/index.html?hpt=Sbin
Good catch, Mulan....
Similar 2 what Frank Pittman says here:

http://www.smartmarriages.com/pittman.response.html

I posted this on Mulan's thread about this yes2rday, but I'll put it here, 2.

We have to understand what divorce is about. Despite all the research about marriages failing
if couples complain, criticize, stonewall or show contempt, I don�t know any couples who don�t
do such things some (or most) of the time. But I have rarely seen an established first marriage
end in divorce without someone being unfaithful. (Our researchers fail to ask about infidelity,
since they tell me it is so nearly universal, it couldn�t possibly be relevant.) Affairs occur in good
marriages and bad, and wreck either.

-ol' 2long
I suspect there's an "Inconvenient Truth" that we'll learn before too long...
a trip to banned camp

*snort* grin
I suspect there's an "Inconvenient Truth" that we'll learn before too long...

But since he's used that title already, might I suggest "An Inconvenient Lie"?

-ol' 2long
I'm (almost) laughing at a few of my friends today who have said to me "well, people *can* grow apart.."

Those friends are: a) single or b) divorced and c)are clueless about MBers.
A quote from one of the so called experts (she is divorced and remarried so no surprise)

"The fact they were married after 40 years doesn't negate the fact that they had a valid, good marriage," Bram said. "It's just that something happened."
So divorce is such a non issue, no big deal thing that is now "just happens"??? puke grumble
Dr. and Mrs. Harley are discussing the Gores on Marriage Builders radio.
Originally Posted by markos

Please let us know what they said! I don't believe divorce "just happens", either.
Given the discussion on other threads about who leaves who and why, I'm going to put my supposition out there that this is Tipper's doing.

If Al had been the wayward one, I suspect it would be all over the media. This smells to me of the "let's keep our dirty laundry a secret" and he'll let her slide out of the marriage by paying her extortion to keep it that way.
Given the discussion on other threads about who leaves who and why, I'm going to put my supposition out there that this is Tipper's doing.

If Al had been the wayward one, I suspect it would be all over the media. This smells to me of the "let's keep our dirty laundry a secret" and he'll let her slide out of the marriage by paying her extortion to keep it that way.

Exactly what I was thinking Fred.
Originally Posted by Mulan

Please let us know what they said! I don't believe divorce "just happens", either.

He speculated, based on statistics, that it is likely Tipper who initiated the divorce. Also speculated (both yesterday and today, IIRC) that an affair is likely to be involved.

He talked more in generalities than really about this specific situation, i.e., "It is likely that she is the one initiating the divorce."

He talked a lot about the POJA and how a public figure should apply it.

Joyce said they'll continue to talk about the situation on future shows.
they talked alot about how neglect may play the real role in this marriage seperation....his traveling and each having no common interests and so on.
Originally Posted by gemstone
they talked alot about how neglect may play the real role in this marriage seperation....his traveling and each having no common interests and so on.

That's my guess. I think either HE had the affair, or she is basically a WAW, from neglect.
having no common interests
I think that they have one common interest: men.
having no common interests
I think that they have one common interest: men.

I am hoping they will miss each other a ton during the separation and recommit to creating a vibrant marriage with each other.

A separation does not a divorce make.

Surely SOMEBODY they know will suggest MB to them?
I want to see at least ONE of them fight for it.
Hate to see a 40-year M go out with a whimper.
Originally Posted by NewPetals

The girl who works for me just told me that her grandparents just got D'd after 50 years. Said they just couldn't stand each other .... dontknow
Originally Posted by rightherewaiting

Dr. Harley made a comment today about things he's told politicians he's counseled with. You really wonder what high-profile people have come to him.
Originally Posted by rightherewaiting

Dr. Harley made a comment today about things he's told politicians he's counseled with. You really wonder what high-profile people have come to him.

I imagine there've been some, although I can't think of any "high profile" couples who've stayed together after news of an A in their marriage became public, so maybe they were just too far gone, or unwilling to do the work.

OK, Bill and Hill are still together, but I think the dynamics of their M have always been unusual, to say the least...
I hated hearing about this...

Gah!
You would think that after 40 years something would remain worth fighting for.

Then you might think that after 40 years, the fighting must come to an end.

One or the other....

They chose the latter.

Somehow, though, I'm waiting for the other shoe to drop. Methinks there's an affair in the mix.

We will all find out - - - - - - when the book comes out.

SB
I too think there's an affair, and like Fred, I think it's Tipper who cheated. Like Fred said, if Al had cheated, we'd all know about it by now. But he won't want to broadcast to the world that his wife is leaving him for another man, and she won't want it coming out either, of course.

On the other hand, it's certainly possible that they've drifted apart after years of his business traveling and campaigning, and she's finally had enough. But odds are strong that an affair has precipitated the separation, either hers or his-and women tend to be reluctant to leave an established relationship unless someone else is waiting for them...
My opinion has absolutely nothing to do with being an FWW.

I do not believe there has been an affair involved. I sincerely believe that this separation has NOTHING to do with an A.
We have been married for almost 36 years. We learned to cherish our marriage. Most people don't learn this. Do you really think we are the same people we were at just turned 20 (me) and 25 (my H). Our MC told us that ALL marriages need to be nurtured and people just don't do it. Our lack of nurturing led to my A. It could have led to us living parallel lives without connecting.

We have learned to laugh together, to spend time together, to have each others backs. It's us against the world and that is how it should be. If you can't do this you have no business being married.

Unless you have been married for a very,very long time you really have no business commenting on this.

It makes me very sad that this couple thought their only recourse was to divorce.
It may 2rn out 2 be nothing more than the narcissistic pursuit of happiness.

Whereas: "Happiness isn't getting what you want, it's wanting what you have."

Most people don't really understand that, though.

-ol' 2long
Al Gore Cheats with Larry David's Ex

Al Gore's split from wife Tipper after 40 years of marriage was a shock to everyone who thought theirs was the ideal marriage. Now Star can exclusively reveal that the former Vice President was having an affair with Larry David's ex-wife � for the past two years!

LINK
Most of us knew that something like this was coming.

I can't read that report! "This content is not available in your part of the world".

I don't need to read it, really.
Originally Posted by Marshmallow
Al Gore Cheats with Larry David's Ex

Al Gore's split from wife Tipper after 40 years of marriage was a shock to everyone who thought theirs was the ideal marriage. Now Star can exclusively reveal that the former Vice President was having an affair with Larry David's ex-wife � for the past two years!

LINK

I don't think there's one person on MB who is surprised. Way to go Al...

In the June 28 issue of Star, on sale Wednesday, we report that Al and Tipper's breakup didn't come as much of a surprise to one Hollywood player � Laurie David. Star has learned that Al has been having an affair with Laurie, who divorced Seinfeld creator and Curb Your Enthusiasm star Larry David in 2007 amidst reports she was cheating with the caretaker of their Martha's Vineyard summer home.

�Al and Laurie went from friends to lovers," an insider tells Star. "It couldn�t be avoided."

Pick up the new issue of Star tomorrow for our complete story of how the pair, who have been fighting for the environment for years and worked together on Al's 2006 Oscar-winning documentary An Inconvenient Truth, fell hard for one another � and if Tipper had any clue.

here
WHAT??????? HIS MARRIAGE FELL APART BECAUSE OF AN A???

jk! lol As if no one saw THAT one coming!!! sigh
�Al and Laurie went from friends to lovers," an insider tells Star. "It couldn�t be avoided."
puke If after 40 years of M they didn't have EP's and boundaries in place I wonder what their M was really like. skeptical
Guess "inventing the internet" wasn't enough to keep Al Gore busy.

At least Larry David has a personality. Al Gore is snooorrreeee so boring.

Poor Tipper. After losing a child and being married 40 years another A kills a family.

It is really an epidemic.
I saw Larry David on some show, I think that marriage ref one...and He seemed like a marriage hater or a woman hater, Now I know what he was so bitter about....See its the man its always the man!!!!! (JUST KIDDING)!!!!!

Listen, you heartless people: �Al and Laurie went from friends to lovers," an insider tells Star. "It couldn�t be avoided."

It just happened to them!! sigh
Tipper should be able to do this to Al at least once! twoxfour

And my H was saying NOBODY on the planet would have A with Al Gore! I said you'd be surprised...he's got lots of money...and a enviromental wacko fan club following. puke

I bet their marriage for a good while was poor...Tipper most likely was being neglected for many yrs due to his career choices and now these last yrs jumping on this next band wagon most likey they went in seperate directions.
Yeah the A could not be avoided "like a train wreck".

In the pic Al Gore looks like tipper's father. He did not age well and she looks great.

62, overweight, gray, boring -- what a loser.
Also his A partner M with larry David broke up because she had an A with the M hired help.

40 years is a long time to throw away because of a sleazy A.

Originally Posted by MelodyLane

Listen, you heartless people: �Al and Laurie went from friends to lovers," an insider tells Star. "It couldn�t be avoided."

It just happened to them!! sigh

Mmmmm, I wonder how long it will take for Laurie to find another "friend"?
Is it ok to comment now?....

Could see this one a MILE away!
Originally Posted by MicheleG

Could see this one a MILE away!
rotflmao
he is one ugly dude. i think tipper is pretty.

prd
I first read the headline as "Al Gore Cheats with Larry David". Now that would have been interesting. This is just lame and predictable.

I stopped respecting Al Gore when he lambasted SUV drivers while cultivating a carbon footprint the size of a T Rex.

pk
Looks like his warming wasn't just "global"! What An Inconvenient Truth. MrRollieEyes

tl

Sorry Michele, you don't meet the "minimal years of marriage" requirement to comment on this matter.

rotflmao
Denials all around ..... think

Hmmmmmmm

"just friends?"
skeptical
Originally Posted by KiwiJ

I do not believe there has been an affair involved. I sincerely believe that this separation has NOTHING to do with an A.

doh2
Originally Posted by MelodyLane

TEEF

Sorry Mel.
Your marriage does not meet the longevity requirement to comment on this matter.
rotflmao
Sorry Michele, you don't meet the "minimal years of marriage" requirement to comment on this matter.

shucks doh2

shucks doh2

You must abide by the rules young lady.
It is written:

Originally Posted by Kiwi
Unless you have been married for a very,very long time you really have no business commenting on this.
Is 39 years long enough? Or do my conservative political views nullify the legitimacy which my marital longevity ostensibly grants me? think

tl
Sorry Mel.
Your marriage does not meet the longevity requirement to comment on this matter.
rotflmao

[Linked Image from buzzlife.com]
Is 39 years long enough? Or do my conservative political views nullify the legitimacy which my marital longevity ostensibly grants me? think

tl

Hmmmmm think

Let me check the bi-laws.

T&L, apparently you are required to deduct a year of marriage for every anti-Obama link posted on FaceBook.
Using this formula, you are no longer married.
Please, refrain from making future comments on this matter.

[

Let me check the bi-laws.

T&L, apparently you are required to deduct a year of marriage for every anti-Obama link posted on FaceBook.

rotflmao
Ya know what,

I am surprised at this thread on here now. I thought when I first saw it a couple of weeks ago it would be dead by now.

Point is, how many of you are now becoming groupies discussing an intimate relationship with cutsie comments of which you know nothing about. After a long marriage, I happen to feel sad for both of them. Period.

This thread does a diservice to MB. It should be terminated by one of the moderators. If this stuff represents part of the life of some of you, wow, I feel honestly sad for you.

Tom
Hah!!

You know what, though? This ac2ally is "refreshing" news 2 me.

I would have been far more dis2rbed if large numbers of people were 2 really believe that a couple, married for 40 years, with no abuse or addictions would ac2ally "grow apart".

People in long-term marriages like theirs was supposed 2 be (or my parent's 50-yr relationship, or my grandparent's 65+ yr marriage) grow 2gether, not apart.

-ol' 2long
rotflmao

Well, doggone! Who's gonna tell my kids they've been delegitimized? faint

As far as the sad poster who is grieved and disturbed by our conversation and wants it shut down...well, maybe someday I will agree with something he says somewhere. Apparently, however, today isn't the day. The day he denigrated my daughter wasn't it, either. MrRollieEyes

tl
@2Long
FWIW
I completely agree!
hurray

@T&L
You are NOT allowed to comment, because you are no longer married.
stickout
In order to reclaim your marriage status, and posting privileges for this thread, you must post a minimum 80 liberal agenda links on FB.
Sorry,Pep, the price is too high!

tl
Sorry,Pep, the price is too high!

tl

I just sent you a tasteless joke via email.
Really bad.

And, an invitation to come over for a play date.
Well, I knew there was more to the story. I thought it was Tipper though....
A little disappointed in the lack of maturity and snideness of many of the remarks made here, obviously at my expense, but certainly not surprised by them. Some of it has been at the level of 10 year old children.

I was wrong about this. So shoot me. I thought that maybe this was one of the times that an A wasn't involved. Yes, deep down I thought there probably was an A but I sort of hoped that maybe this one time there wasn't.

I also stand by my comment that, unless you've been married a very long time, you can't understand what it's like to be married a very long time. My mother is 81. I don't pretend to know what it's like to be an 81 year old woman and I wouldn't tell her that I did.

I also get the digs about my liberal views. FWIW I have many friends who are staunch right wingers, both here and in the US. They are my friends, whatever their political views. My SIL and I fight every election time but I love the boy to death.

As do conservatives here on MB get "digs"--sometimes gouges--from liberals. MB has no one-way streets in Political Town. I myself have several scars to prove that I've entered into more than one fray on this very site.

What I have enjoyed this time around, was a lack of conservatives getting blamed for the story, and Republicans (Karl Rove) in particular showing "his fingerprints all over the story," in the way it was done with John Edwards...when, oddly enough, it was John Edwards fingerprints that were all over everything. And not just his fingerprints, either. I do think, regardless of your opinion on the maturity of the posters' mentalities here, that this conversation was several levels above the one we (the generic we--if you and I said anything specific to each other about it, I have no memory of that) had about John Edwards, his mistress, and their daughter.

Whatever. People who live in the public eye fail in the public eye. Kinda hard to change that, no matter which political side you're on...and kinda unlikely that political opponents can ever be expected to be unfailingly sympathetic to your plight. I'm so glad to not be famous.

tl
A little disappointed in the lack of maturity and snideness of many of the remarks made here, obviously at my expense, but certainly not surprised by them. Some of it has been at the level of 10 year old children.

ohhhhhh If that isn't the pot calling the kettle black I don't know what it is!

Not surprised by Al or Tipper. I also thought it may have been her.
I agree wholeheartedly that people in the public eye need to be above reproach. Sadly, it seems to go with the territory. People always say that "their private life is private". No it isn't. I want accountability from the people who represent me. I was very proud of a friend of mine who went to a function where the woman who had an affairage with one of our prominent politicians was speaking. I was proud because when everyone gave her a standing ovation after her speech my friend refused to stand.

I still don't quite understand why I have been singled out for snideness and sarcasm on this thread. I'm sure the people I'm talking about will come on and say I'm paranoid or think it's all about me. I'm not stupid - I know when I'm being got at. All bullies say that the person "didn't get the joke" or "thought it was always about them".

I don't think the people who have posted their nastiness will even feel slightly abashed or ashamed that they've gone out of their way to hurt someone else. Justification (for whatever reason and I have no idea what that reason is) and knowing they are "always right" will make sure of that.
BigK if you are referring to the defriending of people from my Facebook page then I think I need to say that I can have whoever I want as my friends on FB. The people I have now as friends are real friends, people who care for me and Rob and our family and don't have their own agendas. Anyone who is a champion of our marriage is welcome to be a friend.
I still don't quite understand why I have been singled out for snideness and sarcasm on this thread. I'm sure the people I'm talking about will come on and say I'm paranoid or think it's all about me. I'm not stupid - I know when I'm being got at. All bullies say that the person "didn't get the joke" or "thought it was always about them".

Here's a clue bat for free. You were "singled out" and paid back in kind for your snideness and sarcasm on this thread by the people you were snide and sarcastic too. I'm sure however this is beyond your powers of comprehension.
BigK if you are referring

I am referring to your snide comments on this thread. No more, no less.
Gee thanks. Did you need to add "beyond your powers of comprehension". I said that I didn't think there had been an A. I was wrong. I said that unless you have been married for a very long time you really had no business commenting on a very long marriage. I stand by that. I was married just after my 20th birthday. I'm now 56. I have the experience of a very long marriage. Is is sarcastic to suggest that a 10 year marriage or less doesn't cover the ups and downs of 36 years? We have faced and dealt with more than just my A.

Are you a champion (yes, that's HR speak for supporter) of our marriage? My friends and family are.
See some people don't get it and don't get that they don't get it.

And yes, I have always been a supporter of your marriage.
And I am well versed in HR speak so let's add patronizing to your list on this thread ok?
Thank you. That's all I ask of anyone. Ok what don't I get? I don't question that a shorter term marriage can be just as happy or that a lot of work hasn't gone into making it so. I find it hard to explain the changes in us as we've got older, as we look to retirement in the very near future, as we face grandparenthood, as we've dealt with the loss of our parents, as we still worry about our grown kids, not DD, but DS still worries us. Those things just don't happen in short marriages.
I'm a very long time lurker and don't post much at all as you can see by my thread count and registration date, but Jen, you've always been my poster girl for an FWW if ever I've seen one (except maybe for Mrs W). But I had to chime in to say that I just don't get the nastiness that seems to be permeating this thread toward you now.

I don't know what you've done that's anti MB that has so many seemingly turning against you. Maybe I'm missing something but your affair with the old boyfriend finished years ago, even though you had a relapse and fessed up here and Rob was informed by a member of MB but that too was a few years ago now and anything I've read of yours since then has been totally "non-foggy" and all I see is happiness and joy with your marriage - what a lucky lady you are.

I don't understand why now the anger and nastiness toward you.
Originally Posted by prettypearl
I don't understand why now the anger and nastiness toward you.

Me neither.

I'm also surprised that staunch MBers think it's funny that a 40-year marriage has been destroyed by infidelity. Nooo

The things that are allowed vs the things that aren't, amaze me. crazy
I don't believe anyone thinks it's funny.
Well, there are ppl who are in the fight of their lives here on SAA, trying to save their M's from infidelity, and this thread has turned into laughing at people in a similar situation.
Originally Posted by jayne241
Well, there are ppl who are in the fight of their lives here on SAA, trying to save their M's from infidelity, and this thread has turned into laughing at people in a similar situation.
Who is laughing at people in a similar situation? Who is laughing at the affair?

People posting on this thread are also posting to those people who are in a fight for their lives here on SAA! Have you seen the work that people put in here? .
We have been married for almost 36 years. We learned to cherish our marriage. Most people don't learn this. Do you really think we are the same people we were at just turned 20 (me) and 25 (my H). Our MC told us that ALL marriages need to be nurtured and people just don't do it. Our lack of nurturing led to my A. It could have led to us living parallel lives without connecting.

We have learned to laugh together, to spend time together, to have each others backs. It's us against the world and that is how it should be. If you can't do this you have no business being married.

It makes me very sad that this couple thought their only recourse was to divorce.
I don't understand why unless you have been married for a very, very long time you really have no business commenting on this.

I haven't been married for a very very long time. Have I no business talking about this affair?

I think it appalling that Al Gore did this. I feel empathy for the BW. I feel sorry that she will have to change her life at this late stage. I feel sad for their adult children and grandchildren. (I'm assuming that they had some.)

I have been a BW, but even if I hadn't; why have I no business saying the above? Why is being married for a very very long time a requirement for talking about this affair - as we talk about many affairs in marriages different from our own, here on MB?
You know, something that's just intensely cool to me is that Marriage Builders can make a marriage work even for people who are on the wrong political side, the one I don't believe in.

In fact, it can even make a marriage work for people on the other wrong political side, the other one I don't believe in.

In fact, it can even make a marriage work for people who are on different political sides!
I'm sad to see almost any marriage break up, and much more sad to see adultery be the cause.

I actually think it's to be expected that any of us would tend to be just a little bit more sad to see it happen to one of our political heroes, and be just a little bit more defensive about them and sensitive. Nothing wrong with that, IMO. But others are not going to slant the same way, and there's nothing wrong with that, either.
No one is laughing at an affair, they are laughing at KiwiJen's comments chastising people for commenting on this issue. ["Unless you have been married for a very,very long time you really have no business commenting on this."] And then her insistence that there was not an affair.

Sorry Jen, but you set yourself up for ridicule when you make statements like that. Don't dish it out if you can't take it.
EDIT
I cede the moral high ground to every one of you who has never laughed at something in a situation that someone else didn't think was funny. I could never hope to join you, Al and Tipper notwithstanding. I snorted out loud at my mother's graveside service (that would be both before and after I cried) when the preacher made a very funny mistake. No one else laughed, so I was inappropriate all alone. I have laughed in church--during the serious parts, too--when met by unexpected humor. When I told my own life story on this board, I laughed at myself so much that Pep cybersmacked my cyberknuckles so hard they were cyberbruised for weeks. So I think it would be folly for me to aspire to live in the lofty heights where others appear to reside.

So, I take it back. This conversation, about Al and Tipper, is no kinder (to the conversing parties) than the one had some months back about John Edwards, his wife, and his mistress. Same blows, different stick.

tl
EDIT
Originally Posted by jayne241
I'm also surprised that staunch MBers think it's funny that a 40-year marriage has been destroyed by infidelity.
I'm surprised that you see people laughing at the affair here. I think people are disgusted with Gore for his affair, and are expressing that with sarcasm.

First, there was no mention of the affair. We, who have advised so many people here on this matter, knew that a separation like this usually takes place because of infidelity; not because of incompatibility after 40 years. We expected to hear the WS say that he "needed space" or that he loved his wife but was no longer in love with her. We haven't heard those things - yet - but surprise surprise (not - as I believe you say over there) the affair has emerged.

Now we expect to hear Gore say that he has found his soul mate and that the affair had nothing to do with the ending of the marriage. We won't believe that, either, and you can expect many scornful posts when it is said.

Then we will here of the demise of the affair, and we will be scornful again of Gore for having thrown away a future with Tipper for the temporarily green grass on the watered side.

We express scorn, and sometimes we laugh at the wayward for not having the sense to see what is coming from an affair - but we do not laugh at the affair. I think you know this.
lashes
lashes
Edit.
....I just didnt like being told I could not comment on a thread about that M....and I think others felt that way also hence some laughter....I guess there are requirements to comment on threads now. Hell I guess I should stay on the IDIOTVILLE thread if thats the case.

Maybe I am a little jaded now about affairs....when I saw the the marriage was ending....There, to me, was NO question that there was an affair, prolly because of my life experience and seeing so many betrayed on MB and so many marriages in the MEDIA tainted by A.

I WAS completely saddened by their separation...to me just adding to my own personal feeling that NO marriage is immune, which we all know is true...but I kinda wished that there were SOME marriages that were.

Okay I may have laughed at some comments about AL, but they were funny.....I think laughing and joking on this forum is a release for some, I know it is for me...but I would never laugh because a 40 year M was ending....

Maybe I am just past jaded and now desensitized, IDK, but I stil dont think its funny and I didnt noticed any other posters that thought it was either.

Do NOT apologize for laughing! naughty The ability to find humor in unhumorous situations has carried me over many a bump in the road of life, to say nothing of ditches, potholes, drop-offs, puddles, sinkholes, and the like. You are not a serf of the Humor Police, nor should you be. If that were to be true, there are many threads here which should promptly be deleted. I hope the mods are getting on that muy pronto. There will be NO unapproved laughing around here.crazy

I mean it. You. Have. Been. Warned. twoxfour

tl
still don't quite understand why I have been singled out for snideness and sarcasm on this thread. I'm sure the people I'm talking about will come on and say I'm paranoid or think it's all about me. I'm not stupid - I know when I'm being got at. All bullies say that the person "didn't get the joke" or "thought it was always about them".

Snideness...you are upset by the snideness...when you have been at the giving end of it in other posts?

Case in point...

I love my husband touching me at any time, day or night - he can grab whatever he likes -

You posted that to Mel on another thread on May 16...it was a rant about fill in the blank..and she had suggested to you that you were still in a wayward mindset by your defense of waywards.

Now... EVERYONE that has been here for any length of time KNOWS that mel has made comment about not liking to be "groped".

If your comment wasn't snide, I don't know what is.

If you dish it out..you have to be willing to take it.

committed

P.S. I feel an "edit" coming on.
I find it ironic that Gores marital split was predicted to be caused by an Affair, and that his affair is being discussed on the internet....

A system he claimed to have invented.

I find it odd that people are taking it as gospel from the ...
Star . Now, had it been The Enquirer I might have been more prone to believe it. MrRollieEyes

committed
he is gross, ugly, and afeminate! she can have him.

prd
You posted that to Mel on another thread on May 16...it was a rant about fill in the blank..and she had suggested to you that you were still in a wayward mindset by your defense of waywards.

Now... EVERYONE that has been here for any length of time KNOWS that mel has made comment about not liking to be "groped".

If your comment wasn't snide, I don't know what is.

Maybe I'll join you.

edited by me

However, I find that being called ridiculous or having my thoughts labeled as ridiculous .....respectful judgments. edite d by me

In the heat of the moment, we often post the top thing on our minds. Our internal self-editors are not working in top form 24/7.

edited by me

Awww...maybe OW really, really wanted an ultra stiff one. Al is that man. laugh
You mocked a liberal icon. That. Is. Simply. Not. Done. faintfaintfaintfaintfaint

tl
You mocked a liberal icon. That. Is. Simply. Not. Done. faintfaintfaintfaintfaint

tl

I've lost track of how many FB friends I've lost over my political (right-leaning for sure) comments.

I care not.

tl

It's Al...it's easy. grin
I've lost track of how many FB friends I've lost over my political (right-leaning for sure) comments.

I care not.

Ah, it makes for good banter......

OH, "right-leaning" implies that while you certainly favor one particular idealogy, you are STILL in a semi-upright position.

Would "right-fallen" be a more accurate characterization????

TBC

Originally Posted by ToBeContinued

I care not.

OH, "right-leaning" implies that while you certainly favor one particular idealogy, you are STILL in a semi-upright position.

TBC

Insert joke about how to reason with a falling-down drunk right-winger...

Right standing, my dear sir. Right standing. cool

tl
Insert joke about how to reason with a falling-down drunk right-winger...

**visions of a hockey player**
Originally Posted by ToBeContinued

I care not.

TBC

After November, it will be "the only ones still standing"!
Originally Posted by committedandlovi
I find it odd that people are taking it as gospel from the ...
Star . Now, had it been The Enquirer I might have been more prone to believe it. MrRollieEyes

committed
rotflmao

Thanks!
I needed that!

My own personal life has some very raw and sharp jagged edges at the moment.
Serious health issues.
Serious familial issues.
So, I take laughter and silliness where I can find it.
I also try HARD not to take myself and my opinions too seriously to the point where I can't tolerate some gentle ribbing and/or teasing.

Sometimes I can muster the fortitude to post serious MB advice, and currently, I cannot.
Sometimes I take a break and remain off MB to resore my attitude into a proper perspective, and, sometimes I post silly goofy stuff, just to relax.

I think I have helped many people and many marriages, if I need a humor break, I've EARNED it.

I am posting in my nightgown and robe.
It is 9:15 AM.
This retired life is just wonderful!
kiss
I think I have helped many people and many marriages, if I need a humor break, I've EARNED it.

I concur...100%!!! smile

committed
if I need a humor break, I've EARNED it.

Thank you for sharing yours with me. It was like an oasis in the midst of an exceptionally barren desert!

tl
At least Al can blame Global Warming for creating the environment responsible for leading to his affair.
Originally Posted by bigkahuna
See some people don't get it and don't get that they don't get it.

And some people fond of repeating Lemonman's quote long after it was made don't get that they don't get it, and don't get that they don't get that they maybe never did.

Define "it."

"I know you believe you unders2d what you think I said. However, I'm not sure you realize that what I think you heard is not what I meant."

-ol' 2long
Lets get back to marriage building please.
© Marriage Builders® Forums