Marriage Builders
Posted By: Jamela S.O. of 8 years cheated and got her pregnant. - 06/10/10 01:33 AM
ooooooooooooooooooooooo
Hi Jamela, welcome to Marriage Builders. My suggestion would be to get the book Buyers, Renters and Freeloaders and jump to the chapter about the "curse of living together." In it, Dr Harley explains why shack up situations are so tenuous and fraught with problems. Shacking up is very, very different from marriage.

Originally Posted by Dr Harley
The Buyer and the Renter
In my Q&A column, Living Together Before Marriage, I described two approaches to marital conflict: The approach of the Buyer and the approach of the Renter. To help you understand why it may be difficult for you to complain to your spouse as soon as problem arises, I return to that analogy.

When a couple live together before marriage, they tend to be "renters." By that I mean that they view their relationship much as they would renting an apartment. If something goes wrong in an apartment, the landlord is expected to fix it -- if it needs paint, the landlord paints it; if it needs repairs, the landlord does the repairing. In other words, the renter is not responsible for making the apartment suitable for living -- the landlord is responsible. And if the apartment is not repaired, the tenant isn't expected to fix the apartment himself, he simply moves to another apartment if he doesn't like the one he is renting.

In the same way, couples who live together before marriage do not expect to make many changes to accommodate their lovers. The relationship is a test of how "livable" their relationship is, and if they were to find it uncomfortable, or if one were to complain much, it would mean that they would not be right for each other.

Those who live together before marriage tend to ignore conflicts until they become intensely negative. That's why these relationships are notoriously abusive (as reported in a recent Justice Department study on domestic abuse). If these couples eventually marry, they carry their renter's agreement into marriage, with the same tendency to ignore conflicts until they build up. Since the renter's agreement does not promote healthy adjustment in marriage, or the sustaining of romantic love -- the vast majority of these marriages end in divorce.

On the other hand, when couples marry before they live together, they tend to be "buyers." Much like buying a house, these couples realize that if anything needs fixing, they will have to fix it -- the sooner, the better. Their marriage is not a test of how livable their relationship is, but rather, it's a commitment to make their relationship livable. That means that when a problem first surfaces, they go right to work fixing it, knowing that if they don't fix it soon, it can lead to an even bigger problem later.
continued here

another article devoted to living together
"I love him"
Is that enough for you?
Do you trust him?
Do you respect him?

Below is a link to a book that might help:

http://www.marriagebuilders.com/graphic/mbi6080_buyer.html

BUYERS RENTERS FREELOADERS

Being that you never married this man, you are in a RENTER situation.
Nothing wrong with that, UNLESS you pretend it is a BUYER relationship and deceive yourself that it is the same as married.
It is not.

If you make the decision to remain with a man who cheated, then lied about it until the baby came along ... That is your prerogative.

Once you accept this situation for what it is .... A long term renter-ship , then you can make decisions about your relationship for what it is.

You can no longer claim to be a victim of this once you decide to stay with him.
If you do stay with him, you are a volunteer.

My advice to you is:

1. Don't get married unless you want to be this Childs mother.
2. Separate ALL your finances immediately.
3. Take off any rose-colored glasses, ditch all your expectations, and accept this AS IS ( if you decide to stay).
4. Get tested for STDs.

I'm sorry I sound so bleak.
Your decision to remain with him means you will be connected to the crack addict for years into the future.
Decide if you want HER in your life ....

And, where is the 9 year old?
Has he been making child support payments?

Love is not enough.
Be cautious about your own motives.
Decide based on what is real, not on what you wish were real.

Best of luck.

Ha!
Mel beat me to the punch (again)

doh2
grin
I say run far, far away.

You might be thinking "easier said than done" but this really is your best option.

I pray you are strong enough and smart enough to do just this.
Originally Posted by MarriedForever
I say run far, far away.

You might be thinking "easier said than done" but this really is your best option.

I pray you are strong enough and smart enough to do just this.

I agree!

A couple questions, were you seeing your S.O while he was still married to his ex? I know you said you were friends for 24 years, but was there any other kind of "special" relationship you had with him before they were divorced?

Also another reason why I think you should RUN, is one you don't have a commitment to him, yes you love him, but there is no reason why you should take HIS problems on YOU!

Sorry you are here.
Sounds like you have an open relationship, no commitment, and no worries.

So this is actually your decision if you want to have him come back in your life just the way it was before.
Thank you!
Jamela, believe me, we all know that being married is no guarantee of fidelity! In your situation, your friend did not have an affair because you are not married. He is a free agent so the concepts wouldn't fit your situation.

That being said, dating is not the same as marriage. Dating is just a test drive for marriage. This program is for marriages and not intended for dating situations.

If you want to get advice about dating, I would check out this newsletter here. You may not have a "fear of marriage," but it has some good advice about how to choose an appropriate partner.
Originally Posted by MelodyLane
Jamela, believe me, we all know that being married is no guarantee of fidelity! In your situation, your friend did not have an affair because you are not married. He is a free agent so the concepts wouldn't fit your situation.

Agrees smile
Originally Posted by Jamela
People don't seem to understand a relationship that is outside of marriage.

Yes, we do. We call it DATING. smile Everyone here has dated so we understand it completely.

An unmarried couple can be just as committed to each other as a married couple. As I said before, I was married and "marital committment" did not stop him from having affairs.

An unmarried couple is about as committed as a renter would be. And even less because they haven't even signed a lease agreement. Marriage does not stop anyone from affairs, just as not being married did not stop your partner from cheating.
People don't seem to understand a relationship that is outside of marriage. An unmarried couple can be just as committed to each other as a married couple.

LOL

I've been married 29 years.
Before that, I was in a non-married relationship for 14 years.

I'm pretty certain I do understand.
dance2

And the commitment is different.
Anyway, what do you want to do?
We have a sort of unconditional love for each other that I wouldn't expect you to know unless you know the two individuals personally!

Maybe that is the problem? Perhaps all that "unconditional love" has given him unrealistic expectations of entitlement? Maybe he thinks he can keep you on the side giving him unconditional "love" while he carries on like the free agent he is?

It sure hasn't led to any committment, fidelity or honesty, has it?
Dating is a job interview for marriage. If the candidate lies and cheats during the job interview, then I obviously don't hire them.

I can't imagine why you would even consider a future with a man who a) won't commit to you, b) cheats on you, c) lies to you. How in the world does any sane woman consider that to be marriage material? Here we are in a society where women are free to choose their husbands; why would a person squander that freedom on such a bad choice?

You say you "love" this man now, but those feelings will quickly fade when you are faced with his weekly visits with his other girlfriend, which will lead to an on again, off again romance. You won't love him too much when you are relegated to second fiddle to his child. Why would you sign on for that?
What I want is some reassurance from him that something can and will change. He knows that I always wanted more of a committment so maybe he will come around. I will know in time. He is very remorseful for what he did and the end result and I know that he will take care of his responsibility. Beside me loving him, he helps me out a lot with my house and I cherish his friendship as he does mine. We have a sort of unconditional love for each other that I wouldn't expect you to know unless you know the two individuals personally!

Thanks again,

Well then, all is well in your world.
You don't really need help/advice/MB ....

Carry on ....
As you were ....

Best of luck.
Adieu ,
I0
Is there any advise you can give me other than walking away?

Yes, the other advise I would give is to RUN. Don't walk, RUN.

The dating experiment failed. Time to move onto the next soul mate. Find a soul mate who doesnt lie and cheat and get women pregnant.
Is there any advise you can give me other than walking away? Is that the only solution? This can't be the worst you've seen in these posts!

Well, it's kind of tough to offer advice because ....

When asked what you want to do, you listed ways you want him to change.

Sorry, that's not on the menu here at cafe MB.

I still suggest you read that book I linked.

Best to you.
I understand your point about the interview but once again, the person that seems to be the best candidate for the interview still does not guarantee job well done.

And the person who seems to be a BAD CANDIDATE probably does guarantee a job poorly done. As you have discovered first hand.

last question! out of curiosity, are you ladies professional advisors or just members?

We are all "just members."
are you professionals or just members?
I get it now! I looked at other posts where husbands cheated on there wives with more than one woman and your advise to the married lady is to 'bust up the affair' talk to our counselors and make your marriage work! So the cheater is OK if he's married. I didn't see you telling the married lady to run! What's going to change after they talk to the counselor and the smoke clears away...he'll probably cheat again..right? so why not tell her to RUN also..does it have something to do with this site making $$$ off of married couples???

But if the goal was to "make money" doesn't it stand to reason that I would be telling you "talk to the counselors?" think
I'm not married..and you made the point that this site is for married couples..

Exactly my point.
ok..I feel better that you are all 'just members' whewww. When I browsed through the site and read some of the psychologist views on indiscretions and infidelities, it was a little more realistic and impersonal. You ladies are killing me! thanks anyway...
ok..I feel better that you are all 'just members' whewww. When I browsed through the site and read some of the psychologist views on indiscretions and infidelities, it was a little more realistic and impersonal. You ladies are killing me! thanks anyway...

Good luck in your dating life!

But, the BOOK we recommend is for dating couples.

Really, it's a good book for you.

Filled with personal examples and practical advice, Buyers, Renters & Freeloaders will help you assess relationship attitudes and transform a Freeloader or Renter into a fully-committed Buyer. You'll even learn how one or both of you can try out the Buyer attitude before you decide to become one.

Although Buyers, Renters & Freeloaders was intended to be a book to help dating couples create lifelong relationships together, you will be sure to find this a most valuable source of information for your marriage. You will discover what is behind the attitudes that can cause connectedness between you and your spouse to break down. You will also discover how to change them.
Is there any advise you can give me other than walking away? Is that the only solution? This can't be the worst you've seen in these posts!

You've been advised to buy a book. You might want to get ahold of it and check it out. There's more to it than just the chapter people pointed you to.
Well heck, I'll bite.

When did/do you plan on getting married to this man?

Is your boyfriend willing to go "No contact for LIFE" with this other woman?

Even if you where married you have almost no chance for a recovery without LIFETIME no contact.

And I assure you, I am no Lady!

It worked perfectly fine for us.
I'm sorry, but if it worked perfectly fine for you, you wouldn't be here.

In fact he treated me better than my ex-husband with the exception of the affair. Not to knock marriage, but I was married and lived in a house with our kids and traveled and all that fun stuff that goes with it. But let me tell you my ex-husband cheated when I was pregnant and when my daughter was 4 and who knows when else, and not one time was my husban consciencious enough to confess to his faults! I ended up cheating on him in the end and after 12 years of marriage we was divorced.
MrRollieEyes

Thank you for your reply. However, I failed to mentioned that we do not live together.
You are aware that you are on a Marriage Building site, yes? The two of you share time with each other, have not committed to each other, have run around on your SO's, had children out of wedlock with non-SO's, and you're puzzled as to why you're in this situation??

Being married alone, does not guarantee that your husband is not going to walk out because he can walk away just as fast as a renter!
No one has said that getting M'd is the magic bullet. But marriage requires a significant amount of time, commitment, perserverance, sharing, etc., that just doesn't happen between two people who hang out together occasionally and have sex.

Both of you will need to significantly shift your thinking.
Jamela,

You might find this advice helpful:

http://forum.marriagebuilders.com/u...in=159543&Number=2345544#Post2345544
I get it now! I looked at other posts where husbands cheated on there wives with more than one woman and your advise to the married lady is to 'bust up the affair' talk to our counselors and make your marriage work! So the cheater is OK if he's married. I didn't see you telling the married lady to run! What's going to change after they talk to the counselor and the smoke clears away...he'll probably cheat again..right? so why not tell her to RUN also..does it have something to do with this site making $$$ off of married couples???

For the love of gawd....someone tell her what she wants to hear so that all the head battering can stop.

Ok..ok...ok.. I will...

~*~*POOF*~*~ magic dust sprinkled.

He CAN and WILL change for you He LOVES you that much. Don't worry...ALL will be ok. He had a momentary lapse of judgment that will NEVER happen again. But if it does, so what...you have a "sort of unconditional love" for one another..so NO WORRIES.

MrRollieEyes

committed
I actually feel in a better situation than if I was married. I've been married where my husband cheated on me and I felt stuck because I had kids with him and a house.

I'm sure that was a bad experience, but are you seeing now that infidelity and betrayal is not the result of being married?
I never cheated with him while he was married. We were friends (platonic friends) before he got married and before I got married, 24 years ago. We were attracted to each other at that time but life took us on different paths. We got together only 8 years ago when we were both free! No, we did not sin. People don't seem to understand a relationship that is outside of marriage. An unmarried couple can be just as committed to each other as a married couple. As I said before, I was married and "marital committment" did not stop him from having affairs.

Thank you : )

Many of us have been in relationships outside of marriage - please be careful with your generalities. And no. An unmarried couple, by definition, is not committed, so they can't, by definition, be as committed and two people who made the committment to get married.

You were married before, true. But he obviously wasn't committed to the M and had an A. And of course you weren't either because you had your own affair.
What's going to change after they talk to the counselor and the smoke clears away...he'll probably cheat again..right?

To answer that question, you need to read the following:
http://www.marriagebuilders.com/graphic/mbi3000_intro.html (Ten Basic Concepts: click each link in the list on the left hand side and read each page.)

FREE.

If you want it in book form you can pay for it, but you can have it free for the cost of the time it'll take you to read it.
I understand your point about the interview but once again, the person that seems to be the best candidate for the interview still does not guarantee job well done.

last question! out of curiosity, are you ladies professional advisors or just members?

We are men. We are women. Some of us had an affair. Some of us have been betrayed by a spouse who had an affair. We are ALL survivors.

Would you prefer to pay someone with a degree to counsel you in an area they haven't experienced? Perhaps you should consider a counsellor near you. There are plenty of them out there, and they all need to eat.

Jamela, again, look at the name of this website. MARRIAGE BUILDERS. Of COURSE we're going to support a spouse who wants to save their M! But again, if you really took the time to read the material here, not every marriage is salvageable, and we don't recommend recovering every marriage at all costs.

does it have something to do with this site making $$$ off of married couples???

You haven't been here long enough to see what we're about, so I'm going to let this one go. But I will tell you that I've been posting here for about 15 months, and haven't paid a penny for the privilege.
out of curiosity, are you ladies professional advisors or just members?

Read the manual: here that is the disclaimer at the top:

The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Counseling Center at the top of this page.

Many people here have valuable experience and knowledge, however, that qualifies them to give advice on dealing with marriages and infidelity.

Now to your issues:

Dating is not supposed to take the place of the commitment of marriage. You cannot twist dating into something it is not. You are merely dating your S.O. Dating is an interview to see if a candidate is right for marriage. We advise you to run because this man is not a good candidate for marriage or a long term, committed relationship in any way. When married people deal with infidelity the advice is different, because they've made a commitment you have not.

I wrote this to another person a while back but I think it explains what I'm trying to say clearly:

Whether you like it or not we live in a society that values marriage. Social Institutions exist for a reason: they work! The institution of dating, by nature, is temporary. It's a method for getting to know whether someone is worthy as a potential mate. It's structure is not meant to be permanent and it shouldn't be. You should be able to walk away easily if it isn't working out - with few losses except maybe a bruised heart. Once a level of commitment is established you say to those around you - I am willing to marry this person, and you get engaged. However, all you have to do is say the word and the engagement is ended. It's a little more difficult but lives have not yet been entwined - you can walk away. And then there is marriage. It isn't just a commitment between two people. It is a commitment between them and the society around them. They are saying to society that they will be bonded together, raise children together, be 'off' the market and society is saying in turn - we will support your union. Just because there are unhappy marriages doesn't make the institution broken - it makes it human.

What you are with your S.O. is MILES away from a marriage. You don't get the support and benefits from the community (in particular this community) to repair your relationship because it is not a marriage. Our infidelity advice WONT WORK! for you.

Also about unconditional love. Here's what the author of the Marriage Builder program has to say about unconditional love:

So let me explain to you what unconditional love in marriage is, and then we'll see whether or not it makes any sense to promise such a thing at a wedding. Let's begin by taking the phrase apart, looking at each word critically.

"Unconditional" means that there are no prerequisites or contingencies to the promise. The promise of love is to be made regardless of all circumstances, including what the other person chooses to do. There should be no confusion regarding its meaning.

"Love," however, is a different matter, and I've seen many different ways to define it. I define love as applied to marriage in two ways: (1) romantic love which is the feeling of incredible attraction to someone and (2) caring love which is meeting someone's needs. When you're in love, you feel something, and when you care, you do something.

I have specifically eliminated a third definition of love that is widely expressed: Wishing someone the best in life. When someone says "I love everyone," that's usually what they mean. And that kind of love can reasonably be given unconditionally. Personally, I want everyone to be happy, and no one to suffer regardless of what they've done to me or others. If that's what's meant by unconditional love at a wedding, I have no problem with it.

But in that context, the wedding vow could be offered to the audience as well as the bride and groom. Using this meaning of love at a wedding, doesn't make much sense because it doesn't offer a unique promise.

My definitions of love makes the spouse very unique, but the promise itself very conditional. If I promise to be incredibly attracted to Joyce, and to meet her emotional needs for the rest of our lives together, it doesn't make sense if there are no conditions attached.

Romantic love, my first definition of love, is created when someone makes massive Love Bank deposits by meeting important emotional needs. When an account is high enough to breach the romantic love threshold, a feeling of incredible attraction is reached. If those deposits continue, and withdrawals don't threaten to reduce the balance significantly, romantic love is experienced indefinitely. I've been in love with Joyce for the entire 46 years that we've been married because she's kept her account in the stratosphere.

If I had promised to be in love with Joyce unconditionally, I would have failed to understand how romantic love is created and destroyed. It's not what I do that causes me to be in love with Joyce--it's what she does. So I can only promise to be in love with her if she meets my important emotional needs, and avoids hurting me. I have nothing to do with it, except to give her an opportunity to make those deposits.

My second definition of love, caring love, makes unconditional love seem possible. Technically, I could try to meet my wife's emotional needs without condition. But could I do it indefinitely, and would it be a good idea?

Let's take a few examples. Suppose a wife were to have an affair, divorce her husband, and marry her lover. Should her ex-husband continue supporting her financially if they had no children together? Should he provide the same support that he would if they were married? Should he be there to help her through life's struggles? Some who believe in unconditional love feel that he should.

Or, suppose a husband sexually molested their children and ended up in prison. Should his wife continue to meet his emotional needs during conjugal visits? Some who believe in unconditional love think that she should.

What if a husband were to beat his wife senseless in a fit of drunken rage? Should she continue to meet his emotional needs? I once counseled a couple where the husband tried to kill his wife three times. After his last effort he buried her in a shallow grave because he thought she was dead. But she managed to recover, dig herself free, and crawl for help. Should she give him another chance? Should she meet his emotional needs for the rest of his life? The elders of her church thought she should because they believed in unconditional love. After I encouraged her to divorce her husband, they never referred anyone to me again.

So if there's no religious reason to give or receive unconditional love in marriage, we're left with practical reasons. And I know of none. If Joyce were to tell me that she loves me unconditionally, and were to mean by that that she'll meet my emotional needs regardless of how I treat her, I wouldn't be very motivated to treat her with utmost care. I could get away with anything, knowing that she'd be there to pick up the pieces. There are many that I counsel that expect to be cared for unconditionally after an affair, abuse, and even attempted murder. After all, it was promised at the time of their wedding.

My job as a marriage counselor is to encourage both spouses to meet each other's emotional needs, and avoid hurting each other. When they follow my advice, they fall in love and stay in love. But one spouse can't do the job alone. They must work together to build a successful marriage. Neither should promise unconditional love because a great marriage is a joint effort that requires many conditions.

Source: What's Wrong with Unconditional Love?

Unconditional love is a horrible foundation on which to build a relationship because it encourages abuse.

Your S.O. may have committed to date you exclusively, but he's shown he can't stick to that commitment. If he can't keep that small commitment there is no way he'll keep larger commitments. Recovery from affairs takes 2-5 years from a committed person. You really want to waste more of your life on this? When there are no children between you? When the commitments are easily broken?
Sigh...not surprising that she got defensive and left when we wouldn't agree with her that her situation is fine and just as good as a marriage. From her first post I had a sinking feeling that this is where it would eventually lead.

And you know...we are all just so narrow-minded since we won't accept that a dating relationship is just the same as a marriage.

I'm really not sure what she wanted to hear from us.
Maybe she is getting advice from "paid" professionals or maybe she googled "My boyfriend is cheating" instead.
I've been posting to this site for almost 12 years, and I also have never paid a penny.

You mention that your SO is in a custody battle because the ex is a drug addict (and it seems that she has lost custody of her children?).

Have you considered that he may simply be wanting you to help raise his children?
And you know...we are all just so narrow-minded since we won't accept that a dating relationship is just the same as a marriage.

Are you trying to tell me that I didn't have to shell out all that cash for my white gown and flowers??? Humph. grin
I don't believe that you can go a lifetime with one person without someone messing up somewhere along the way.

Expect failure, and guess what you're going to get?
Hi Gack, I am more of a realist. I don't believe that you can go a lifetime with one person without someone messing up somewhere along the way. When I entered this relationship, I just came out of a messy relationship and prior to that a divorced from my cheating husband of 12 years. 8 years ago I entered into this relationship with my current bf because I felt safe due to our long term friendship.. I wasn't looking to fall in love...I was just enjoying the companionship (traveling etc.) but of course my heart got in the way. I new of his past with women but I ignored it. I just thought that as he get older that he would get more settled..

Please don't suggest that those of us on here are NOT realists. We know people mess up. All the time.

Whether you like it or not we live in a society that values marriage. Social Institutions exist for a reason: they work! The institution of dating, by nature, is temporary. It's a method for getting to know whether someone is worthy as a potential mate. It's structure is not meant to be permanent and it shouldn't be. You should be able to walk away easily if it isn't working out - with few losses except maybe a bruised heart. Once a level of commitment is established you say to those around you - I am willing to marry this person, and you get engaged. However, all you have to do is say the word and the engagement is ended. It's a little more difficult but lives have not yet been entwined - you can walk away. And then there is marriage. It isn't just a commitment between two people. It is a commitment between them and the society around them. They are saying to society that they will be bonded together, raise children together, be 'off' the market and society is saying in turn - we will support your union. Just because there are unhappy marriages doesn't make the institution broken - it makes it human.
Vibrissa posted this to you. I think it bears repeating. Please read it.
**edit**
wait??? I'm confused didn't you just tell us he has a 1 year old?? Surely you are mistaken that ALL of his kids are born out of wedlock?

Unless he was married for 30 min while conceiving that little baby?
The 1 year old was born out of wedlock,,,unless he was married to her all along and you are the other woman?!
Marital Bliss, If you don't know what you're talking about then maybe you should not comment at all. You sound like a very bitter person. Even more so than me...however, I want to clear up one thing. We were both previously MARRIED! All his kids were not born out of WEDLOCK! and none of my kids were born out of WEDLOCK! I hope god help you in your life because those who throw stones will surely get it right back and you won't even know or beleive its happening to you! I did not come on this site to be bashed. You are no better than my SO! pray for yourself.....

You are imagining any sort of bitterness except for the bitterness you yourself are clearly exhibiting.

Why are you so defensive?
Marital Bliss, If you don't know what you're talking about then maybe you should not comment at all. You sound like a very bitter person. Even more so than me...however, I want to clear up one thing. We were both previously MARRIED! All his kids were not born out of WEDLOCK! and none of my kids were born out of WEDLOCK! I hope god help you in your life because those who throw stones will surely get it right back and you won't even know or beleive its happening to you! I did not come on this site to be bashed. You are no better than my SO! pray for yourself.....

Your SO had a child out of wedlock, fact? Fact.

I would be interested to hear what you think I'm talking about that I don't know about?
This man creates child after child with a handful of women.
He constantly cheats
He expects Jamala to be the babysitter and raise his spawn
He cheats on Jamala although you cannot call it cheating if not married.
He wont marry her.

What else is there to say but "if you continue being with a dirtbag even though you know what kind of person you are with, then what can you expect but heartache and trouble"

The whole problem, Jamala, is that YOU HAVE CHOSEN TO STICK WITH THIS DIRTBAG AND YOU EXPECT HIM TO ACT LIKE A LOVING MAN.

The best he can ever give you is an open relationship where he dates all the women he wants to and sleeps with various women. You can be the babysitter of all the kids he produces if you want to hang around him. Otherwise, he can find another women to do that job for him.

Does this man even work?
Jamala, what is the truth here? Are you the other woman? Is this man really married to a wife and you are the other woman he is dating and not living with? Come on...fess up.
It's a fact of life....how old are you?? Al Gore and Tipper are realizing that after 40 years...so pleeaaase. I don't live in a bubble to end up in some crazy home later because 'oh, I thought it couldn't happen to me...oh my god' smile

at least I can still smile...
It's a fact of life....how old are you?? Al Gore and Tipper are realizing that after 40 years...so pleeaaase. I don't live in a bubble to end up in some crazy home later because 'oh, I thought it couldn't happen to me...oh my god' smile

at least I can still smile...

Eee..yeah. I think a lot of us are smiling right now. grin
Hi Gack, I am more of a realist. I don't believe that you can go a lifetime with one person without someone messing up somewhere along the way.

If you would like to try to make it work

There is an awesome book you can read for help

It is called Buyers, Renters, and Freeloaders

It's all about how to get to a working relationship when the one you are in just doesn't seem to be working

It is not for married people only

You can buy it and get it sent to you fairly cheap. (Secret tip: buy "The One," which is the same book in paperback for cheaper, and they will send you the hardcover "Buyers, Renters, and Freeloaders" version at the same price.)

You might be able to get it from a library for free, or used somewhere for cheap under either of those titles.

Also, if you call the Marriage Builders radio show today with a question about your relationship, they will probably give you a copy for free. They love to take questions and they are much nicer than the people on this forum. Call between 2 and 3 Central Time, 1-888-332-5169. They always give out a free book to questioners.
******************edit*********************
Hi Gack, I am more of a realist. I don't believe that you can go a lifetime with one person without someone messing up somewhere along the way. When I entered this relationship, I just came out of a messy relationship and prior to that a divorced from my cheating husband of 12 years. 8 years ago I entered into this relationship with my current bf because I felt safe due to our long term friendship.. I wasn't looking to fall in love...I was just enjoying the companionship (traveling etc.) but of course my heart got in the way. I new of his past with women but I ignored it. I just thought that as he get older that he would get more settled..

I think someone else said this but....Hows that working out for ya??? I mean you seem to know all the answers and are insulting posters....Why are you asking us for advice if we dont know anything?....You know EVERYTHING...That is why you are in the situation you are in.

And a realist you are not....Unless you think that, waiting till he got older would "make" him more settled, is realism. You are getting REAL advice on here and you just dont like the REALSIM! Until you can face it you cant fix it....

This was a mistake to get on a site with a bunch of miserable closed minded man hating witches!!
Wow, markos, I think you just got neutered.
You knew of his past with other woman but IGNORED it....That is called putting your head in the sand, not being REALISTIC!!!!!

Run and run far and fast!!!!!!
This was a mistake to get on a site with a bunch of miserable closed minded man hating witches!! wowwww...I hate to hear what your men did to you. See this is what happen when you trust,trust,trust....don't belittle me cause it's coming to bite you in the you know where!!

to answer your question..he makes a very, very good living..

Hey it worked for Tiger Woods...you don't see little miss nanny running any where! Trust me, I probably get more benefits from my bf than you'll ever get from you HUSBAND!

YOU BASH ME AND YOU'RE GONNA GET IT RIGHT BACK!

Apparently you cannot see that you are the one looking like the angry you-know-what.

Your defensiveness and anger are quite telling...
Originally Posted by Prisca
This was a mistake to get on a site with a bunch of miserable closed minded man hating witches!!

You're right, I think I missed that.

Guess I never should have worn that white gown.

Jamala, I'm sure you mean well, but assuming everybody posting to you is a lady is really not very polite to the men here who are trying to help you, like me. I promise you I'm a man. A complete fake of a man, but I am a man.

My wife, Prisca, is entirely real, and I'm sure she'd like to help you as well, if you're interested.
[Linked Image from thesmilies.com]
one last advise...how do I delete my post from this site..I don't need this!

Thank you,
Hmmm A VERY GOOD INCOME? THis tells me you might be the mistress. You are not living with him after all. Are you the mistress and hiding your relationship from his wife?

Or, are you one of many mistresses and girlfriends he has?

He does not sound wealthy and classy if his ex wife was a crack addict. Sounds like a typical dirtbag. Something here does not add up.
This was a mistake to get on a site with a bunch of miserable closed minded man hating witches!! wowwww...I hate to hear what your men did to you. See this is what happen when you trust,trust,trust....

Jamela, this site doesn't teach you to trust, trust, trust. It teaches you to VERIFY, not to trust. That's one of the first principles they ask people to work on when they come here with a partner who is committing adultery.

Have you read through this site's Basic Concepts?

http://www.marriagebuilders.com/graphic/mbi3000_intro.html

We can help you get where you want to go, and you said you'd appreciate suggestions and ideas. There are some awesome relationship tools here on this site, but you'll have to do some reading to learn how they work. Have you read any of the links we've been giving you? You said you'd appreciate the suggestions, but I'm not sure you're reading them, which makes me feel kind of unappreciated.
I'm sorry to tell you this, but we are only trying to give you advise if you don't like it, then don't take it, and be happy where you are in your relationship...errr...I mean OPEN relationship with this man you are dating.

But Please don't come on here and bash us, some of these people have been here for more then 10 years helping marriages, and let me tell you this, they HELP EVERY SINGLE one of those marriages come back and become one of the happiest marriages out there.

Anyone can come on here and post, get advise, take it, or don't take it. I can tell you now though that if my husband never found this site I wouldn't be here with my two beautiful boys, with a loving husband.

Your choice.
Just enjoy being his mistress and leave it at that! If he is rich, then he can afford many mistresses. Does he support you?
one last advise...how do I delete my post from this site..I don't need this!

Thank you,

You can't. We worked hard to provide help to you, and we don't want our work deleted.

You said you'd appreciate any suggestions or advice.
rotflmao Sorry....Ill get back on my broom now.
This was a mistake to get on a site with a bunch of miserable closed minded man hating witches!! wowwww...I hate to hear what your men did to you. See this is what happen when you trust,trust,trust....don't belittle me cause it's coming to bite you in the you know where!!

Hey it worked for Tiger Woods...you don't see little miss nanny running any where! Trust me, I probably get more benefits from my bf than you'll ever get from you HUSBAND!

Calm down, Jamela, or you'll hurt yourself. Have you read any of the articles on this site? Why don't you do that and then come back here? And leave your left hook at the door - we've seen it from defensive SO's before, and it didn't faze us then, either.

There, there, markos - she didn't mean it! We all know you're not miserable!~
[Linked Image from pic4ever.com]
Originally Posted by markos

You're right, I think I missed that.

Rats, I was hoping to do that.
Wait ... Jamela, did you think this was a women's site or something? Not a site where men and women post together?

You were hoping to neuter markos???
Originally Posted by maritalbliss

grin

Ever hear the "The Man Song"?

I can't stop giggling over here ... okay, I'll sober up now.
OMG, that is hysterical, Prisca.....
Hi Gack, I am more of a realist. I don't believe that you can go a lifetime with one person without someone messing up somewhere along the way.
Uhhhh.....

What does that mean?

This was a mistake to get on a site with a bunch of miserable closed minded man hating witches!! wowwww...I hate to hear what your men did to you.
I am not a man hating witch,

I AM A MAN!!

I am married to a woman who had an affair that produced a child, so I may know something about your situation.

So, just in case you are still reading, please answer the following questions from my previous post to you.

Originally Posted by Gack1
Well heck, I'll bite.

When did/do you plan on getting married to this man?

Is your boyfriend willing to go "No contact for LIFE" with this other woman?

Even if you where married you have almost no chance for a recovery without LIFETIME no contact.

And I assure you, I am no Lady!
Gack, you were neutered tooo....Im sorry....
Originally Posted by stillhere8126
Gack, you were neutered tooo....Im sorry....
No way! TEEF
Wheeewwwwww

I checked, they are still there. hurray

rotflmao rotflmao rotflmao

Seriously, you don't hear what you want and you call US witches?? You don't need this? Really? People take their valuable time to craft reasoned, experience driven advice and THIS is how you repay them??? Hun, you're a piece of work....

[Linked Image from img.thespiffylife.com]

I promise, just keep smiling and it'll all be unicorns and rainbows.

That's what you were looking for right? It'll all be ok. Raise your cheating boyfriends children from his crack head baby mamma. Keep your 'special' 'unique' unconditional love relationship. Don't expect anything else because this is the best you will ever get from him. You don't have the protection of a marriage to guarantee you anything else...

But why do I bother - you don't want to learn or improve... Gonna go hop back on my broom and start spreading more bitterness and anger.
[Linked Image from pic4ever.com] Gack...Im glad your okay...
We got together only 8 years ago when we were both free! No, we did not sin.

Umm...just so you know, if you've had sex with this man, to whom you are not married, then you and he did sin.

Originally Posted by maritalbliss

Dr. Harley suggested it. It's Basic Concept #11.
[Linked Image from thesmilies.com]

I with ya, Glenda...er, I mean Vibrissa! grin
Originally Posted by Vibrissa
Keep your 'special' 'unique' unconditional love relationship.

You know, the interesting thing about a unique relationship is that it can't possibly have been studied thousands of times and have books written about it to tell you what does and doesn't work.
Originally Posted by markos
Originally Posted by Vibrissa
Keep your 'special' 'unique' unconditional love relationship.

You know, the interesting thing about a unique relationship is that it can't possibly have been studied thousands of times and have books written about it to tell you what does and doesn't work.

Um, that's "special, unique, unconditional" relationship, markos. crazy
I believe I was commenting at marital bliss when I made the comment about man hating whitches..I don't believe I bashed you marko! But I do want to add how unfortunate it is to get on a site with people who are suppose to be supportive to someone who is going through real life issues and all you get is a lot of laughter and jokes! God bless all of you...you are going to need it! don't think because your marriages are going fine now that tomorrow things won't come crashing down on your heads!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and I won't laugh..
***EDIT*****
****edit*****

I find it telling that you went back and edited out all of the venom you were spouting at us for not supporting your opinions.

Your threats are immature and are probably a TOS violation...lemme check...
you will get yours too for laughing......watch and remember me!

Ok...what channel?

You going to be named as a co-respondent?

committed

Your local friendly misogynist here.

All I can say is wow, now I remember why I hate women.
mr eek faint
Originally Posted by Pariah

Your local friendly misogynist here.

All I can say is wow, now I remember why I hate women.

Now, now, Pariah. :::big hug::: Watch out for my broom handle. laugh
edit
What... in the world... are you talking about?

Many including myself have tried to help you.

You won't answer questions, and you won't listen.

What do you expect from us?
scared are we??? The man upstairs is watching you. Thats not a violation.
*edit*
scared are we??? The man upstairs is watching you. Thats not a violation.
WTH?
WTH?
I believe it may be a medication issue.
This is all a relief to read, actually. Until now, I thought I had problems.

Hey, it's my 100th post!

dance2
HELP? You call this help...laughing and teasing and joking about someone's life! I am not stuck in a situation. I just came on the site to see if anyone else went through same and can shed some light on how things turned out and if this story is not cmparable to anyones life then I really see how someone can comment at all unless they walked in my shoes!! THAT'S ALL..I'm done here! I'm just going through these last few posts and trying to delete all my previous ones because theres a lot of bad vibes and karma here!!

THANK YOU AGAIN..WHEWWW!

Hey, it's my 100th post!

Yay, Prisca! hurray
Fighting with us will not fix your problem. The ridiculous responses were in response to your lashing out at people who took the time to help you.

I'm sorry you didn't like the advice you were given Jamela. The advice here comes from many who have been there and done that. They gave you the best advice they could. The fact is - this is not a marriage relationship. If he cannot be committed in a dating relationship he wont be committed in a stronger relationship. You cannot fix this man and the steps to over come adultery do not apply to a dating relationship. I don't care how YOU feel about your relationship - it is a dating relationship. The advice here for overcoming infidelity was specially crafted to save MARRIAGES. That's the only way it will work.

You got angry because we didn't give you the same advice we'd give a married woman. You didn't bother to marry this man so the advice wont apply. That's it.

I'm sorry your life is in this place. I'm sorry for the pain that you're going through. The fact that you're not married does not invalidate your pain. However, your future plan of action is very different because you are only dating. The BEST thing you can do is to leave this relationship.

HELP? You call this help...laughing and teasing and joking about someone's life! I am not stuck in a situation. I just came on the site to see if anyone else went through same and can shed some light on how things turned out and if this story is not cmparable to anyones life then I really see how someone can comment at all unless they walked in my shoes!! THAT'S ALL..I'm done here! I'm just going through these last few posts and trying to delete all my previous ones because theres a lot of bad vibes and karma here!!

THANK YOU AGAIN..WHEWWW!

I think you said it yourself: "You reap what you sow"
I'm smarter than you and your mother! Since you like to joke. take that...lolollol!
J,

I'm getting half the story because you've just edited/deleted most of your posts--but PLEASE don't think that MB is some kind of snotty judgmental married-people's club. no one here is trying to be unkind, judgmental, thoughtless, etc.

the advice you've received seems to me like it's geared towards sparing you unnecessary pain. sometimes things sound harsher in print than they would face-to-face. no one here underestimates the gravity of your situation or the pain you must be feeling, they're just trying to point out what i feel is obvious: this fella sounds like a BAD RISK. if you haven't committed to him already, in the form of the recognized social institution of marriage, you should cut and run while you have no legal obligations to him.

no one is trying to imply that you aren't welcome here, they're just letting you know that the site IS designed for married people and that this forum may not be equipped to help you.

i wish you the best and i'm sorry about your situation.
HELP? You call this help..
One cannot help someone who refuses to answer a simple question.

I asked you two, simple and relevant questions in an attempt to better give you some advice.

You ignored me.
I'm smarter than you and your mother! Since you like to joke. take that...lolollol!

Anyone remember One Flew Over The Cookoo's Nest? It's...medication time!
I believe I was commenting at marital bliss when I made the comment about man hating whitches..I don't believe I bashed you marko!

However, you did bash my friends. The people who have been very helpful and supportive for me and my wife.

The people who led to my wife falling back in love with me.

But I do want to add how unfortunate it is to get on a site with people who are suppose to be supportive to someone who is going through real life issues and all you get is a lot of laughter and jokes!

That's not all you got. You got some very real and good pieces of advice.

When you ignored those pieces of advice and made light of them and insulted the nice people who were trying to help you, then, yes, some of them decided not to be so nice.

God bless all of you...you are going to need it! don't think because your marriages are going fine now that tomorrow things won't come crashing down on your heads!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and I won't laugh..

So if their lives are ruined, will that make you feel any better?
I'm smarter than you and your mother!
Ok, if you insist.

But what relevance does that have in helping to resolve your painful situation?
Jamela, tried to read your posts and you have "edited" yourself out.

If this is the way you deal with issues then I am not surprised by the tone of this.

They threw bricks at me when I came on this board. It made me upset and mad but I did not take my toys and run home.

Don't be a conflict avoider.
"i'M SMARTER THAN YOU AND YOUR MOTHER"

Sounds like something a low class crack addict might say...
Originally Posted by hope3343
Jamela, tried to read your posts and you have "edited" yourself out.

If this is the way you deal with issues then I am not surprised by the tone of this.

They threw bricks at me when I came on this board. It made me upset and mad but I did not take my toys and run home.

Don't be a conflict avoider.

Actually, I went back through the posts. What I read were a lot of posts from people who took the time out to explain to Jamela the nature of her relationship as it relates to marriage. She was asked questions and refused to answer them. When the posters forced her hand she responded with invectives and threats.

It's very difficult to help anyone who is carrying that large a chip and doesn't have ears to hear.
don't think because your marriages are going fine now that tomorrow things won't come crashing down on your heads!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and I won't laugh..

Jamela, I posted some things for you to read. You didn't thank me and you didn't express appreciation, and I don't think you read them. One of the things I posted for you to read includes the story of Dr. Harley, a clinical psychologist who for 35+ years has been working with people to help them have happy marriages or recover happy marriages if they have lost them. He's written books that millions of people have bought because they like what are in those books. And he's made tons of his information available on this site for free.

He and his lovely wife Joyce are the owners of this website, which is provided free for you to ask help on. If you'll read up at the top, it says the purpose of this site is for us to learn his Marriage Builders concepts. Dr. Harley and Joyce have been happily married for decades. Neither one of them has ever had an affair and both of them are passionately in love; the feeling has never gone away.

Dr. Harley has spent his entire life studying literally thousands of married couples. He was one of the first psychologists in America to actually follow up on the couples he worked with, keeping track of them through the years and seeing if they succeeded or failed. (Succeeded, for Dr. Harley, doesn't just mean staying together, and it doesn't even mean staying together without an affair. It means staying PASSIONATELY IN LOVE.) He used the information he learned to create his procedures and concepts which he used to save and revitalize thousands of marriages. He's studied relationships and the human brain and seen thousands of working and non-working examples.

Most of us are here because our best thinking screwed up our marriages (or our relationships - not everyone here is married!). Many of us are happy to benefit from Dr. Harley's experience through learning these concepts and applying them, concepts which you can read and apply FOR FREE.

Why don't you give them a read and try them out?

Here is the story of how Dr. Harley learned to save marriages:

http://www.marriagebuilders.com/graphic/mbi3100_how.html

The story starts with his early failures and moves on into how he discovered success.

It's a real story from a real man who would like to help you for free.

You can email Dr. Harley's wife Joyce at jharley@marriagebuilders.com ; she runs the Marriage Builders radio show. You can call them for free and present your situation to them and see if they can offer you any advice. I PROMISE you that Joyce and Bill Harley are much nicer than everybody on this forum. I have never seen them be disrespectful to anyone, and I'd say the same about their son, Steve. If you call in to the radio program with your question, not only will you get to talk to Dr. Harley for free but they will send you a free book.
HELP? You call this help...laughing and teasing and joking about someone's life! I am not stuck in a situation. I just came on the site to see if anyone else went through same and can shed some light on how things turned out

Yes, Jamela, there's a story of some people who went through the exact same thing and came to this site and got help. Would you like to read it?
ooh, bubbles, you're MEAN.

everyone: let's not bait this poor masochist any further. seems like she rather thrives on it. i posted the least confrontational, gentlest thing ever and she has replied vehemently to everything BUT that. sounds like she needs to feel like a victim--why perpetuate it?

p.s. glad you're not following MY thread, bubbles!
I believe there's a description for this kind of thread.

TROLL GENERATED
Originally Posted by princessmeggy
I believe there's a description for this kind of thread.

TROLL GENERATED

laugh

Hey, it's my 100th post!

dance2

Congratulations, Sweetheart. If only it could have been the post about neutering me.

Hey, it's my 100th post!

dance2

*edit*
© Marriage BuildersĀ® Forums