Marriage Builders
Posted By: believer OT - Anyone doing EarthHour? - 03/28/09 09:58 PM
Or is it just popular in the land of fruits and nuts?
Posted By: RuncibleSpoon Re: OT - Anyone doing EarthHour? - 03/28/09 10:40 PM
We are, and uh, we own cheeseheads. 'Nuff said about that. <grin>
Posted By: RooGirl7 Re: OT - Anyone doing EarthHour? - 03/28/09 11:30 PM
I will be. smile
Posted By: lildoggie Re: OT - Anyone doing EarthHour? - 03/28/09 11:45 PM
It was last night, and I didnt, only had one light on for flips sake
Posted By: jayne241 Re: OT - Anyone doing EarthHour? - 03/29/09 12:48 AM
I'm planning to, if I don't forget. We've still got another couple hours I think. It's at 8:30 pm local time, right?

Is it just lights, or everything like computers too? smile Do you turn off just electricity, or do you have to turn off gas stuff as well? DH is cooking BBQ ribs on the gas grill outside. (Someone was over here a few days ago and I got to brag on DH's BBQ skills. The guy remarked how DH's grill is a "real man's grill." I could practically see DH swell up with pride. smile ) Anyway, do we have to turn the grill off as well, if they aren't done yet?

LOL I guess if you're doing it *right now* you prolly won't answer that.
Posted By: lildoggie Re: OT - Anyone doing EarthHour? - 03/29/09 12:52 AM
hi Jayne smile

Over here it was just advertised as 'turn off your lights'

but I left one on so I could read. Flick has candle issues being a fireman and all that laugh

LOL at 'a real mans grill' and DH's reactions. I must remember that one, a good 'man' complement laugh laugh
Posted By: jayne241 Re: OT - Anyone doing EarthHour? - 03/29/09 01:31 AM
Ah yes, this grill. DH insisted he didn't want to bring our grill when we moved, even though I thought it was a pretty nice one. In our new house, there's even a built-in gas line on the deck, for a gas grill. So you don't even have to buy those canisters. Our indoor stove and oven is also gas, and the heater, and the garage heater, and I think the hot water heater. Oh, also the fireplace! So if all we have to do is turn off the lights, we can still stay warm, take a hot bath, cook and bake, and possibly even read by the fireplace! EarthHour, here we come!!!!!!!

So about this grill - it's one of the several-thousand-dollar items we planned on buying for the new house. There was a special burner that he had to special-order that only got in a week ago, so up to now he's been suffering and limping along with only a double-decker new grill with rotiserrie, poor dear.

The other large item was to be a hot tub for me. But where we want to put it requires adding on to the deck, which is hard to do in the winter with snow... plus I would prefer to save up ahead of time for it.

So instead DH bought an ATV... with a snowplow attachment, and I gotta admit it was necessary, not a luxury item. smile

So instead I got a dog. hurray Less expensive than a deck addition and hot tub, but more fun things to do!
Posted By: thndrnltng Re: OT - Anyone doing EarthHour? - 03/29/09 03:10 AM
Ooh--it's almost 8:30 PST. Glad to have the reminder...I've gotta go and turn on a bunch more lights.

tl
Posted By: Bubbles4U Re: OT - Anyone doing EarthHour? - 03/29/09 03:19 AM
:twobyfour: SURE I WILL DO EARTHHOUR!!!WE WILL ALL HAVE A BANGING GOOD TIME TOO! :twobyfour: :twobyfour:
Posted By: bigkahuna Re: OT - Anyone doing EarthHour? - 03/29/09 03:23 AM
Originally Posted by thndrnltng
Ooh--it's almost 8:30 PST. Glad to have the reminder...I've gotta go and turn on a bunch more lights.

tl

Yeah - I fired up the home theatre and a few more computers.
Posted By: aussieswife Re: OT - Anyone doing EarthHour? - 03/29/09 03:23 AM
never heard of it over here. confused

we turn out lights because the power bills are so high. faint
Posted By: MelodyLane Re: OT - Anyone doing EarthHour? - 03/29/09 03:28 AM
personally, I am an AMBIENCE kinda gal so I need lots and lots of ACCENT LAMPS to get the proper MOOD going. But I will commit to turning off the ceiling fan in the #3 guest room tonight! smile
Posted By: bigkahuna Re: OT - Anyone doing EarthHour? - 03/29/09 03:47 AM
ohhhhhhhh that reminds me - I need to turn the A/C on as well.

Thanks Mel!
Posted By: cinderella Re: OT - Anyone doing EarthHour? - 03/30/09 04:10 AM
I was gone from the house during EARTH HOUR....and bad thunderstorms were forecast so I turned off my electric heatpump. Unplugged the computer stuff. Unplugged the audio/visual stuff. And, left some lights on for the dog....then I went to movie night at church....a chick flick.....
Posted By: hope3343 Re: OT - Anyone doing EarthHour? - 03/30/09 04:56 AM
I turned out the lights since I was not home. Heard WS had no lights there -- they have been out totally in his brain since June.
Posted By: KiwiJ Re: OT - Anyone doing EarthHour? - 03/30/09 05:02 AM
BigK, I'm interested. Why are you so against doing something that shows you care about the earth? Even if it's only a token gesture.

I really care about what we've done to our wonderful planet in the last 100 years. We've stuffed it up. I'm not talking about climate change, I'm talking about ruining animal's habitats, filling the atmosphere with smog and car fumes, destroying forests and poisoning waterways.

I think it was a really nice idea for the whole world to give some thought to our lovely planet.
Posted By: thndrnltng Re: OT - Anyone doing EarthHour? - 03/30/09 01:19 PM
it's only a token gesture

That's a very concise stating of the reason right there, Jen. It's only a token. A nothing. An insignificance that, substantively, accomplishes A.B.S.O.L.U.T.E.L.Y. zilch, unless feeling good because "you care about the earth" counts. I loathe "tokens". And not in regard to the environment, either!

tl

P.S.
Posted By: MelodyLane Re: OT - Anyone doing EarthHour? - 03/30/09 01:41 PM
Originally Posted by KiwiJ
BigK, I'm interested. Why are you so against doing something that shows you care about the earth? Even if it's only a token gesture.

I have seen no evidence that he "doesn't care about the earth." What is your evidence of this, Jan? Participating in some meaningless token gesture sure does not demonstrate "care." It just makes you FEEL GOOD and that is not important to most people. If I want to feel good, I will call my mommy or go shopping. [or work out!]

I can think of much better ways to spend my time helping mankind than participating in meaningless token gestures. Why not find a way to help others that is more than a "token?"
Posted By: Dealan-de Re: OT - Anyone doing EarthHour? - 03/30/09 01:59 PM
Originally Posted by aussieswife

We do the same in the almost summer (b/c Texas has 4 seasons - almost summer, effing summer, a little summer, and notso summer).

We changed EVERY stinking lightbulb to CFLs when we moved. For our 2,800 sq. ft. home, we have not had an electric bill over $62 yet.

By this time next year, we hope to be selling our unused energy back to the electric company. Wind/solar power, here we come!
Posted By: Pepperband Re: OT - Anyone doing EarthHour? - 03/30/09 04:58 PM
This event soooooooooooooo reminds me of when I participated in "Hands Across America".

LOL

Posted By: bitbucket Re: OT - Anyone doing EarthHour? - 03/30/09 05:03 PM
We were bringing the boys back from my parents' house at the time. I had left all the lights turned off - not because of Earth Hour, but because I'm cheap and want to save money on electricity.

Besides, Al Gore left all his lights on...
Posted By: Pariah Re: OT - Anyone doing EarthHour? - 03/30/09 05:09 PM
I turned on ALL the lights in the house, left the doors open with the AC on and flushed the commodes for an hour straight. laugh
Posted By: Dealan-de Re: OT - Anyone doing EarthHour? - 03/30/09 05:38 PM
P - are you related to my kids?
Posted By: Dancing_Machine Re: OT - Anyone doing EarthHour? - 03/30/09 06:31 PM
Originally Posted by Dealan-de
Originally Posted by aussieswife

We do the same in the almost summer (b/c Texas has 4 seasons - almost summer, effing summer, a little summer, and notso summer).

We changed EVERY stinking lightbulb to CFLs when we moved. For our 2,800 sq. ft. home, we have not had an electric bill over $62 yet.

By this time next year, we hope to be selling our unused energy back to the electric company. Wind/solar power, here we come!

Right on!!! One of these days I'm going to get there, too.

Yeah, I enjoyed Earth Hour. I sat next to the tub with 2 candles and read a true crime novel about a triple murder in Houston in the 1970's called, "The Cop Who Wouldn't Quit."

I think it's great to do things like this...far from being a "token gesture" these events serve to make a lot of people more aware of the world around them...especially since it's such a "me me me" world and folks--especially here in America--are trained to "consume consume consume" and not give much thought to the big picture.

Every little bit helps.

Charlotte
Posted By: Gabby222 Re: OT - Anyone doing EarthHour? - 03/30/09 06:44 PM
My brother-in-law did one better - He turned on all his lights, started the cars and turned on the car alarms! What can I say?
Posted By: Dealan-de Re: OT - Anyone doing EarthHour? - 03/30/09 07:38 PM
DM - HEB has the CFLs where you buy one pack, get one for $1.

Thought you'd like to know.
Posted By: Dancing_Machine Re: OT - Anyone doing EarthHour? - 03/30/09 07:51 PM
Originally Posted by Dealan-de
DM - HEB has the CFLs where you buy one pack, get one for $1.

Thought you'd like to know.

Way cool! Thank you! I need to stock up. I have lights burned out now that I refuse to put regular incandescent bulbs in, LOL!

Heck, I don't even have any of those anymore!

Charlotte
Posted By: believer Re: OT - Anyone doing EarthHour? - 03/30/09 08:25 PM
Saw this headline -

Dubai saves 146,000 kWh of power in Earth Hour

That may have made up for Melody running everything in her Texas home.................
Posted By: DancesWithGoats Re: OT - Anyone doing EarthHour? - 03/30/09 08:51 PM
Originally Posted by believer
Saw this headline -

Now that is pretty cool!

We forgot about it. Do I have to turn in my Earth shoes now? I am ashamed. :-(
Posted By: Dealan-de Re: OT - Anyone doing EarthHour? - 03/30/09 08:55 PM
I have a .pdf of info about rain garden plants (to keep water from washing off the land) and how to make your own rain barrel, if anyone is interested.

Holler to me if you are interested niosgirlatyahoodotcom.

Please put your MB name in the subject so I don't think it's spam.

Posted By: shattered dreams Re: OT - Anyone doing EarthHour? - 03/30/09 10:34 PM
LOL...I had 120 - 1,000 watt metal halide lights burning brightly, 44 - 400watt parking lot lights fully engaged, 166 - 400 watt metal halides working at full capacity in an adjacent building, not counting 12 full sized bathrooms, all backstage dressing rooms and offices fully illuminated and a huge boiler working hard to keep everyone comfy and safe in a 10,000 seat arena. I think the state wrestling tourney would have been just a little upset had we turned out the lights. Only God knows how much water was flushed into the local sewer system!

Posted By: MelodyLane Re: OT - Anyone doing EarthHour? - 03/30/09 11:17 PM
Originally Posted by believer
Saw this headline -

That may have made up for Melody running everything in her Texas home.................

I dunno, I used lots of Aquanet that day.... smile

Go shattereddreams!! hurray
Posted By: shattered dreams Re: OT - Anyone doing EarthHour? - 03/30/09 11:21 PM
LOL... I probably still fell short of what your custom made Texas sized hair dryer needs for power!!!

Posted By: tucktummy Re: OT - Anyone doing EarthHour? - 03/31/09 12:35 AM
Our school in Hong Kong made a huge commitment to Earth Hour as did many big companies in the city. Lights went off across the harbour at 8.30 and many bars and restaurants were lit by candlelight. Probably 90% of families in our school made an effort to participate. Anything that makes the people of Hong Kong aware of saving energy is a good thing. It was a token gesture but it was a positive global event.
© Marriage BuildersĀ® Forums