Marriage Builders
Posted By: freefall Good books - 07/26/11 04:21 PM
I just read two good books that I'd like to recommend. One is Not Just Friends by Shirley Glass, and the other is How to Help Your Spouse Heal From Your Affair by Linda McDonald. Both are consistent with the MB philosophy.

Not Just Friends covers all aspects of infidelity and healing. How to Help Your Spouse is a compact manual (just 97 pages) that you can put into the hands of a WS to give him/her concrete, step-by-step instructions on what to do for a spouse if the WS is truly committed to recovering the marriage.

Both are available on Amazon.
Posted By: HoldHerHand Re: Good books - 07/26/11 08:44 PM
I am interested in picking up Sex at Dawn.

We all know that we are "wired for affairs," and parts of this book explore that from several disciplinary angles.

Though, I am concerned about the fact that people who bought this book followed it with a lot of head lice medicine...

Hmmmm...
Posted By: CWMI Re: Good books - 07/26/11 09:43 PM
I thought this thread was going to be about novels. Anyway, I recommend Greg Iles and Wally Lamb if you like to read and haven't read them yet.

Carry on.
Posted By: karmasrose Re: Good books - 07/27/11 01:58 AM
Personally I recommend "War of the Worlds." See if you can find a nice OLD copy at least 20+ years old with that old book smell. smile

But I thought as CWMI, too. So carry on as well.
Posted By: CWMI Re: Good books - 07/27/11 02:19 AM
A Prayer for Owen Meany. Must read. Lisey's Story for linguists, NOT for typical King fans. Underground Man. Anything 19th century and Russian. smile

Posted By: Rehana Re: Good books - 08/14/11 02:29 AM
I stumbled at Barnes And Noble yesterday and the cover book caught my eye. It says Before Ever After. I started reading it last night and it's a pretty interesting book.
Posted By: wulffpack_girl Re: Good books - 08/14/11 02:58 AM
Been reading a lot of fiction lately, less relationship-oriented books, so....Current read - Imaginary Jesus, a freebie I picked up on my Kindle, which has been suprisingly interesting & entertaining. Finally got around to reading A Game of Thrones by George R.R. Martin - awesome! Love Diana Gabaldon and Melanie Rawn, but have read all their stuff and waiting for them to hurry up and write something else! If you like urban fantasy, Patricia Briggs and Kim Harrison are good.
Posted By: HoldHerHand Re: Good books - 08/15/11 11:47 PM
Reading The Dark Tower VII: The Dark Tower again. The first read-through I DEVOURED it. This time, savoring a little more.

On the buy list; 50 Great Myths in Popular Psychology: Shattering Widespread Misconceptions about Human Behavior

Among them? Full Moon Mania, an idea that is easily dismissed when looking at confirmation bias.

Read very little fiction... info nerd.
Posted By: wulffpack_girl Re: Good books - 08/16/11 12:12 AM
I really enjoyed the Dark Tower series. Been a while since I've read it, but I remember being a bit cheesed off at how King chose to end poor Roland's saga!

HHH, if you're an info nerd, how are you with stats? Ever read "Freakonomics"? I enjoyed that one - lots of fun, those spurious correlations! I have the follow up to that one but have yet to read it. Alas, I am a statistics geek.
Posted By: HoldHerHand Re: Good books - 08/16/11 12:34 AM
I wanna read that. I watched the movie for it! Aaaaaaaaand, they wrote a sequel!

Freakanomics is "Behavioral Economics" which is explained as the "what," whereas "Evolutionary Psychology" is supposed to be the "why."

A smattering of both, and you've got a great nerd-dish!

And yeah... the Dark Tower...

"We're sorry Mario... but your princess is in another castle..."
Posted By: Rosycheeks Re: Good books - 08/17/11 11:47 AM
I have read Freakonomics, Super Freakonomics, and watched the movie too. They're fun and interesting reads. Have you read The Logic of Life by Tim Hartford?
I also like Malcolm Gladwell's books, (Outliers, The Tipping Point and Blink are the ones I've got on the shelf in front of me).

I thought I had Sex at Dawn but I can't see it on my bookshelf. I do however have Mating in Captivity by Esther Perel and The Sex Diaries by Bettina Arndt. They're interesting enough. I am going to have to go to Amazon and look for the cover art of sex at dawn now to see if I do actually have it.

ETA: I do have Sex at Dawn, its just upstairs in my bedside cabinet rather than on the shelf with the others.
Posted By: wulffpack_girl Re: Good books - 08/17/11 03:12 PM
OK, now that I know there's a freakonomics movie, I went and found it on Netflix!!!

Haven't read those others, but I have seen some good reviews of Gladwell's books and been interested in picking them up sometime.
Posted By: HoldHerHand Re: Good books - 11/08/11 09:47 PM
On my xmas list;

Nasty, Brutish, and Long: Adventures in Old Age and the World of Eldercare

Posted By: schoolbus Re: Good books - 11/11/11 01:30 AM
I've read all the Gladwell books, and the Freakonomics series. I like em for fun reads!

I like Steven Pinker books, but you have to be ready to read long books about nerdy stuff. Brain and language and computer stuff, and how language came into being. He's a professor, so he likes to go off on tangents.

When I'm feeling the need for casual reading, I go for Ramachandran. He puts the fun in neurology. Yes, even the study of the eye and visual processing in the brain can be really fun, and neurologists can crack a mean joke.

But for FICTION???????? You absolutely cannot beat anything by Robert Crais. I am definitely having an emotional affair with Elvis Cole, Private Eye.
Posted By: karmasrose Re: Good books - 11/11/11 03:08 AM
I also HIGHLY RECOMMEND Terry Pratchett.

I'm only into the second book and I already love it.
Posted By: Rouge1 Re: Good books - 11/12/11 01:05 AM
been reading this series for many years now

the Wheel of Time series by Robert jordan who i am sorry to say passed away a few years ago but jordans wife comissioned another author brandon sanderson to finish the series so far brandon sanderson has done an excellent job but he also had the complete outline of the last three books and all of robert jordans notes so its not like he has taken over with nothing to go on.

1.The Eye of the World (TEotW)
2.The Great Hunt (TGH)
3.The Dragon Reborn (TDR)
4.The Shadow Rising (TSR)
5.The Fires of Heaven (TFoH)
6.Lord of Chaos (LoC)
7.A Crown of Swords (ACoS)
8.The Path of Daggers (TPoD)
9.Winter's Heart (WH)
10.Crossroads of Twilight (CoT)
11.Knife of Dreams (KoD)
12.The Gathering Storm (TGS)
13.Towers of Midnight (ToM)
14.A Memory of Light (AMoL) due out sometime in 2012

im big into fantasy and scifi books always have been but by and far this is the best series ive read as far as characters and settings etc etc i would put this series up against the lord of the rings trilogy by tolkien.
Posted By: Greengables Re: Good books - 11/15/11 03:46 AM
I completely echo Karmarose on Terry Pratchett. I found my first Discworld book 3 years ago. They gave me a safe place to be during the most painful time of my life (so far). I've read all of them and reread plenty of them. Also, these books are fine for young adults.

Currently, I'm reading two fun super-hero series. The better one is "Wearing the Cape" and the Villians,Inc series. Once again, this is something your impressionable teenage girl can read. The heroine waits (gasp) for marriage!
The second superhero series is called Charlotte Powers.

Non-fiction, I read Killing Lincholn, a page-turner, and Thomas Sowell. I just finished his Conflict of Visions, so I'm reading some light short essays. I'm going to hit Basic Economics next. The Freakonomics books got me interested in economics. Sowell is a good teacher.
Posted By: celticvoyager Re: Good books - 11/16/11 04:02 PM
Originally Posted by Greengables
Currently, I'm reading two fun super-hero series. The better one is "Wearing the Cape" and the Villians,Inc series. Once again, this is something your impressionable teenage girl can read. The heroine waits (gasp) for marriage!
The second superhero series is called Charlotte Powers.

Non-fiction, I read Killing Lincholn, a page-turner, and Thomas Sowell. I just finished his Conflict of Visions, so I'm reading some light short essays. I'm going to hit Basic Economics next. The Freakonomics books got me interested in economics. Sowell is a good teacher.

Super-heroes... Heh. Love reading spiderman and avengers and captain america comics... I think I'm addicted. It's how I learned to read.

On a serious reading note, I am starting a book called "The Irish Worthies" which is a collection of biographies on notable Irish preachers here in the states and in Ireland.

I am a book re-reader too. I'm finishing Geerhardus Vos' Biblical theology for the 3rd time and The Life and Mission of saint patrick for a paper I am writing on him, examining his view of the end times in light of the other church fathers...

Lordy I am boring.
© Marriage BuildersĀ® Forums