Marriage Builders
There is a little file on your PC called index.dat

This file stores ALL your computer history, even if the machine had the history erased. Just download this little free program Index.dat reader and have it take a look at the file! You should be able to see EVERY website and page that the PC has ever been to. UNLESS index.dat has been erased with a special index.dat cleaner (take note this file can be erased .. but it always comes back and starts logging again)

Hope this helps someone.

MNG
Wow.
This is so good to know.
Question: does this program also work on history that occurred while using in private browsing?
Hello,

I also have a question:

Does this software work for cell phone also? the smart phones that have access to internet?

If not, does anyone know how to track what websites a smart phone has been to?

Thank you!
Originally Posted by minjo
Hello,
I also have a question:

Does this software work for cell phone also? the smart phones that have access to internet?

If not, does anyone know how to track what websites a smart phone has been to?

Thank you!
Do you have access to the phone? If you do then go to it's history and check.
If you can install this programme, then you can install a keylogger, and the latter is more comprehensive. It will record every keystroke - so as well as showing you every website and every page visited, it shows you every email written, and the passwords to any email accounts - which by the sound of it, that programme won't do.
I think the entire purpose of reading index.dat files is a means of being the first try at snooping without spending money on a keylogger. THis program doesnt log keystrokes.. only places the PC has been too. So you many not get all the relevant info from this ... but its a good starting point if your broke or waiting for money to get the ball rolling on some snooping techniques.

MNG
Still wondering of index.dat records in private browsing?
Originally Posted by Wonderingif
Still wondering of index.dat records in private browsing?

It does for IE. I haven't checked for firefox or Chrome.

CV
index.dat is only used by Internet Explorer, not by any other browsers.
I need help deciding which keylogger to install that my IT spouse wont discover. The other day there was a reply from someone offering another member to IM them cuz they didnt want WS to get the info, but I cannot find that post. Any ideas please.
ifyoubuildit, my favorite keylogger is eblaster. It is typically undetectable but to be safe, you should run his antivirus to make sure it doesn't pick it up. If it does, you can easily program it to ignore it. However, eblaster typically does that on installation. you can buy it at spectorsoft.com
Thank you. He will see that I ran the anti virus and it can be seen on the ALLOW/IGNORE list. Also worry about cpu usage. He is a pro so I need more than the average user if anyone can help.
How will he see that you ran the anti-virus?
Originally Posted by jd176
index.dat is only used by Internet Explorer, not by any other browsers.

It does record videos watched with media player if the save URL history option is selected. Even if using firefox
Originally Posted by ifyoubuildit
I need help deciding which keylogger to install that my IT spouse wont discover. The other day there was a reply from someone offering another member to IM them cuz they didnt want WS to get the info, but I cannot find that post. Any ideas please.

I am personally fond of desktopshark as its never been detected on my PCs ... even spybot, adaware and advanced system care ... and comodo internet security dont see it as a threat on any of my PC's.. all my antivirus softwares dont see it either.

*shrugs*
Thanks to all replying. Will desk shark show up in program files or task manager as another poster said? Does windefend ignore it.
MrNiceGuy, I have decided to try the 3 day trial (keylogger only, no remote access, am I correct?) The 1 licence is 24.95, full version, if that is the 1 you are using. As it turns out, we are only using windows firewall and microsoft security essentials, so I am hopeful I will not have to add them to the ALLOW/IGNORE settings to keep it hidden. Any follow up you can add would be appriciated.
MrNiceGuy, I have decided to try the 3 day trial (keylogger only, no remote access, am I correct?) The 1 licence is 24.95, full version, if that is the 1 you are using. As it turns out, we are only using windows firewall and microsoft security essentials, so I am hopeful I will not have to add them to the ALLOW/IGNORE settings to keep it hidden. Any follow up you can add would be appriciated.
bump!
© Marriage BuildersĀ® Forums