Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#2012796 01/21/08 08:22 PM
E
OP Offline
E
Hey all, i'm new here and I just really wanted to see if any of you guys had any advice for me.

I'm in a long distance relationship (I live in Alberta and he lives in BC) and we're both in college so seeing each other is only during school holidays, so we don't see each other very often, most of our relationship is corresponding on the phone and on MSN.

He's a really sweet guy, smart, chamring, and genuinely cares about me, and I reall love him. We have our issues, such as he's religious and i'm not...so you can immagine that creates some problems, but we are happy together and one day plan on marrying each other.

The other day I mentioned moving in together once I was done school and moved out there, and he totally flipped out on me telling me that he can't live with me without the commitment of marriage. I happen to strongly think that a couple should live together and share a space so they get to know one anothers querks.

I know i'm going to marry this guy so I don't see what the issue is in moving in together. I suggested that we live apart (Despite that i'm packing up my whole life and moving away from my family and friends just to eb with him) and do the real dating thing that isn't long distance until we get engaged and then we live together. He doesn't seem to keen on this idea either.

So I don't know if you guys can offer any advice...I read some of the letters on this web site about how it increases your chances of divorce, but if I know i'm going to marry him....I don't see what the issue is. If you could offer any little comments or help that would be lovely

thanks.

J
J
If you know you are going to marry him anyway, why not marry him before you move in together??

C
C
Are you sure he really wants to marry you? That there isn't someone else he's becoming attached to? Kinda sounds like it...

R
RMW Offline
R
seems like Dr. Harley had some information on situations where living together before marriage is involved. you might be interested in what 'he' has to say about it.

RMW #2012800 02/19/08 08:40 PM
E
E
I understand his "flip out." It might be hard for him to explain to his family (who are probably religous as well). Moving in with you might draw more parental pressure than could be good for the relationship. Would it be enough for you to live near him and spend time together and not move in even after engagement?

on another note,I am assuming that he's not keen on only the "moving in" aspect, not the you moving closer. If he's not keen on you moving closer then it's time to dump him. But it sounds like it's a moving in issue. I heard once that live-in relationships that turn into marriages have less of a success rate perhaps because marriage needs to feel different from dating.

S
S
I think it's pretty simple. You nailed it when you said he's religious and you're not. That's the problem. That's a fundamental difference that is going to continue to manifest problems. I have little doubt his faith is the primary motivator behind wanting to get married before living together. You can't relate to that, since you don't share his faith. So, in order to find some measure of mutual understanding (a prerequisite to agreement) you will have to consider some secular arguments for not living together.

I lived with my wife for five years before we got married. Like you, I didn't see the problem with it. Like you, I "knew" she was going to be the woman I married and figured there was no problem with jumping the gun in terms of living arrangements. Indeed, there was no problem early on. But, two years after getting married, problems have begun to manifest. You see, by "playing house" before actually committing, you fool yourself into thinking you know what life with the other person will really be like. But marriage changes things. You know why? Because marriage is a public, formal, and legal commitment. When your commitment does not exist in a public, formal, and legal form, it really doesn't exist at all.

There are two things going on in the back of your mind that keep you from being committed outside of marriage. The first is the thought that you have a way out if things head south. Indeed, no matter how "committed" you think you are, if you aren't married, no one is going to question your decision to dump your boyfriend. Commitment is more than a feeling; commitment is an accountability. Without marriage, you don't have that accountability. The second thought that lingers in the back of your mind before marriage is the romantic fairy-tale image of the wedding itself, driving off into the sunset. That romantic image of something to come blinds you to present realities. Once the wedding has come and gone, you now only have the realities to deal with, not some fantasy. The difference between people who live together before marriage and those that don't is, those that don't live together first KNOW things are going to change after the wedding, while those that do live together first fool themselves into thinking things won't change. After all, that's the whole idea of living together first; you always hear people say, "You need to know what it's like. You need to test drive." Well, there's no test driving marriage. There's no getting a sneak peak. You can't try on commitment. You're either committed, or you're not.

The fact is, you are not committed to this guy. You may feel committed. And that's great. But, until you are actually married, you are not obligated and therefore not truly committed. So, you have to ask yourself, am I ready to be obligated to this guy. If the answer is no, then your feeling of commitment (the basis of your justification for moving in with him) is a romantic illusion. If the answer is yes, and he feels the same way, then there's no reason you shouldn't want to marry him now.

Note, these aren't moral judgments and have nothing to do with religion. Like I said, I did the shacking up thing. So have all of my friends. The overwhelming majority of people do it, because it seems to make sense. But it really doesn't, not when you think about the paradox of trial commitment.

Just my two cents. Take it with a grain of salt.
C
C
...the thing that makes me wonder about the bf is that he isn't keen on her moving NEAR him and dating properly (not LD), and having that time to really get to know each other before the engagement/marriage. It sounds like he wants her to marry him and move in without any other stage in between, after living so far away from each other for so long.

I sure wouldn't marry someone without being able to know them better - living together or not! You can't really know someone when you are in an LDR. Certainly not well enough to promise the rest of your LIFE to them. I think she should be very wary here.

Chickpea

T
T
Religion is a big thing, it has it's ups and downs.

I thought the whole part of marriage is to different people merging their lives together to form a better bond that brings each other up not down.

Whether his parents are religious or not if his parents are going to interfere with your relationship then it is doomed before it starts.

Unfortunately he needs to come to realize that if he puts his parents before you then every time that his mom or dad is on a bad whim then you will be unhappy.

It's about compromise I liked the idea about trying to move nearby at first, then if all progresses nicely then maybe see if you can live together before marriage?

Communicate with him,

Theo

R
RMW Offline
R
Was it that he minded you moving closer and doing the dating thing OR just that he wasn't keen on the moving in together once engaged thing?

Moderated by  Fordude 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 783 guests, and 56 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation