Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 12 of 14 1 2 10 11 12 13 14
M
M
Originally Posted by Still_Crazy
IMHO I do not believe that adultery could ever be handled well!!

I guess an editted version of the Bible is in order then.

Last edited by Marshmallow; 06/19/08 02:58 PM.
R
R
Originally Posted by TheRoad
From what I read here the movie was a continuation of the series.

From what I read SJPaker had an affair with mr big, his wife almost caught SJP in her own home. mrs big gave chase to find out who the strange woman was, falls knocks out her own teeth, has to be rushed to the hospital.

How can anyone say that this movie handled affairs well when the continuation of the story. How did SJP make amends for what she did to mrs big?

Did mr big or SJP have the karma bus come and run them over? WH and OW married each other without concern for the damage done to mrs big, and are to live happily ever after.

Were there little bigs?

This movie handled affairs well because it was realistic in that most people never find MB. Their WS's get to screw them over. And the karma bus never comes to town.

Umm, sorry TheRoad, but these SITC stories are not REAL LIFE.

And as far as the Karma Bus showing up in REAL Life, I've seen it in RL and here countless times, 8 years worth in case you're wondering.

Thing is about Karma, the person on the receiving end of the wrong doing isn't always privy to the wrong doers Karma experience. But that doesn't equate to NO KARMA.

Just because a tree falls in the forest and no one saw, doesn't mean it didn't occur.

Jo

J
J
Dear Princessmeggy,

I loved how the adultery in this movie was handled. I liked how they ended up despite Steve's wrongdoing, and I thought the therapist's take on handling this was interesting. Thanks for asking.

By the way, does anyone know who the therapist in the movie was? Anyone significant, as in really a therapist that some may recognize, or was she an actress playing a part?

LIFE IS GOOD
M
M
Now I don't limit that to SITC so please don't feel I'm picking on you. I feel that way about at least 50% of what comes out of Hollywood including many of the other films mentioned in this thread.

Did you watch any of the other films that were mentioned in this thread?

I understand that Christians generally want to watch movies w/ nice people doing nice things wearing nice clothes.

And there IS a place for those movies.

But, movies like that can't satisfy deeply. I think the best movies/stories are where I learn to love an "ugly" person.

Isn't that what the gospel is?

Christ died for the ungodly.

The unlovable.

Those full of sin.

Those we don't want to look at.

Those we don't like.

I think watching/reading about gross sinners on the road to change, is uplifting...and well.... Christian.

I did not see SITC, but reading what Pep wrote about it, it does sound as though there was redemption and forgiveness in it.

Two pretty important Christian themes don't you think?

P
OP Offline
P
Originally Posted by ItsJustJulie
Dear Princessmeggy,

I loved how the adultery in this movie was handled. I liked how they ended up despite Steve's wrongdoing, and I thought the therapist's take on handling this was interesting. Thanks for asking.

By the way, does anyone know who the therapist in the movie was? Anyone significant, as in really a therapist that some may recognize, or was she an actress playing a part?

I don't know who the therapist was or if really a therapist but I remember thinking... call the Harleys! Plan B! LOL

I was wondering how the bridge would turn out. Tears were shed.

Widowed 11/10/12 after 35 years of marriage
“In a sense now, I am homeless. For the home, the place of refuge, solitude, love-where my husband lived-no longer exists.” Joyce Carolyn Oates, A Widow's Story
N
N
Originally Posted by princessmeggy
[quote=ItsJustJulie]I don't know who the therapist was or if really a therapist but I remember thinking... call the Harleys! Plan B! LOL

That's funny....SO WAS I....lol...

I loved it when Steve said "How do I know she won't hold this against me forever?"

And the counselor replied, "You don't. And she doesn't know whether you will do this again or not. But all you can do decide if your love is enough to give your marriage another shot....and to learn and grow from this experience..."

That part really spoke to me.....because that is where we were at at the time.....Life is not full of guarentee's.....

not2fun

ps.....geez, lotta fussin going on in these here parts.... crazy

P
OP Offline
P
Originally Posted by Marshmallow
Now I don't limit that to SITC so please don't feel I'm picking on you. I feel that way about at least 50% of what comes out of Hollywood including many of the other films mentioned in this thread.

I understand that Christians generally want to watch movies w/ nice people doing nice things wearing nice clothes.

But, movies like that can't satisfy deeply. I think the best movies/stories are where I learn to love an "ugly" person.

The unlovable.

Those full of sin.

Those we don't like.

I think watching/reading about gross sinners on the road to change, is uplifting...and well.... Christian.

I did not see SITC, but reading what Pep wrote about it, it does sound as though there was redemption and forgiveness in it.

Thanks Marshmallow, that's a great perspective. In fact, my daughter-in-law who is NOT a Christian saw the movie with me. Afterwards, while we were talking about the movie, after laughing about the really funny parts, I was able to point out the forgiveness and redemption in marriage and friendships that portrayed was protrayed.

Last edited by princessmeggy; 06/19/08 03:53 PM. Reason: left stuff out

“In a sense now, I am homeless. For the home, the place of refuge, solitude, love-where my husband lived-no longer exists.” Joyce Carolyn Oates, A Widow's Story
A
A
Mimi, I think you are very, very cool. Have for some time.

But, I have to tell you, Natasha was my favorite character in the Rocky and Bullwinkle show.

As far as SITC, I have never watched it, not even once and will not be going to the movie. No interest whatsoever.

But this thread is interesting.

With prayers,

"Never forget that your pain means nothing to a WS." ~Mulan

"An ethical man knows it is wrong to cheat on his wife. A moral man will not actually do it." ~ Ducky

WS: They are who they are.

When an eel lunges out
And it bites off your snout
Thats a moray ~DS
M
M
But, I have to tell you, Natasha was my favorite character in the Rocky and Bullwinkle show.

YUCK..I HATE NATASHA!! That feels sooooo GOOD..LOL....

I made it happen..a joyful life..filled with peace, contentment, happiness and fabulocity.
A
A
I'm happy it was good for you.

"Never forget that your pain means nothing to a WS." ~Mulan

"An ethical man knows it is wrong to cheat on his wife. A moral man will not actually do it." ~ Ducky

WS: They are who they are.

When an eel lunges out
And it bites off your snout
Thats a moray ~DS
N
N
Originally Posted by Aphelion
Mimi, I think you are very, very cool

me too.... grin grin grin

not2fun

P
OP Offline
P
Originally Posted by not2fun
Originally Posted by Aphelion
Mimi, I think you are very, very cool

me too.... grin grin grin

not2fun

me three... (I'd put three grins here but Not already did it. Messed me up! LOL) grin

M
M
THANKS...

It's TRUE...

I am PRETTY COOL..LOL... cool

I made it happen..a joyful life..filled with peace, contentment, happiness and fabulocity.
P
OP Offline
P
I am PRETTY COOL..LOL...

LOL, classic Mimi.

D
D
Originally Posted by iam
Originally Posted by Dancing_Machine
I think it's intellectually dishonest to separate the movie from the TV series.

The movie is just another episode in the series, and the series had affairs as part of it's plot

When the powers that be decide that there will be a movie made from a TV series, they look at all aspects.

On of the requirements is that the movie must be able to STAND ON ITS OWN to entice those who did not watch the TV series so that they can sell more tickets, thus sell more popcorn and soda and so on and so on. Profit, profit, profit! (While also attracting the original fans, of course.)

Therefore I have to disagree with your take because it is SUPPOSED to be separate.

Charlotte

Then why call it by the same name?

Your argument is weak. I suppose The Simpsons movie didn't reflect the TV show? whistle

Of course it has to reflect the show from which it is derived. But the main goal of the "powers that be" is to get the butts in the seats...or more accurately, make the lines to the concession stands as long as possible since that's really where all of the money is made.

So any movie made from a series must be able to stand on its own.

Just ask any screenwriter. They'll tell you the same.

Charlotte

D
D
Great post, Marsh!!

Charlotte

E
E

I hope you are speaking for yourself. I think the kind of movie you describe as unsatisfying is very satisfying.

Have you seen Facing the Giants? It features a Christian couple facing all sorts of daily crisis, a losing football coach, who can barely support his family, a school that wants to can him, the inability to conceive a child with his wife, etc.

Instead of showing them taking short cuts, it shows a man and a woman who struggle with faith, but ultimately choose to do things God's way, and not take short cuts.

That's a fulfilling movie.

The problem I have with SITC and other such shows is not that there is redemption at the end, but that it shows folks taking the sinful shortcuts but fails to show the consequences for their actions.

Oh sure, we can find good parts, and I don't argue against that. And yes, folks turning from their sinful ways is good.

But do we really see that in SITC, or do we see folks who manage to work through the consequences, but still live lives that are largely self-absorbed, instead of being focused on the bigger picture?

They are still focused on themselves and not that their mission in life is to serve God.
Yes, so was the whole gospel presented in this movie. I missed the scene where they all turned their lives to Christ, sold everything and followed Jesus.

The unlovable.

Those full of sin.

Those we don't like.

Sure, they forgave themselves and forgave each other. But did they seek God's forgiveness?

Sure, when done in a Christian fashion. Repentance is part of being forgiven as well.

I
iam Offline
I

The unlovable.

Those full of sin.

Those we don't like.

I'm not sure I really understand your post. It sounds to me like you are telling me that to be a good Christian I sould watch "Porky's"?!?!?! confused

M
M
I agree with the vast majority of Marsh's posts...this one, IMHO, missed the mark.

D
D
Originally Posted by iam

The unlovable.

Those full of sin.

Those we don't like.

I'm not sure I really understand your post. It sounds to me like you are telling me that to be a good Christian I sould watch "Porky's"?!?!?! confused

No. Porky's II-The Next Day

That's the one with all of the interesting stories about the corrupt politicians and evangelist and racism (and what happens to those who engage in it.) GREAT movie!

Last edited by Dancing_Machine; 06/20/08 08:38 AM. Reason: added a paragraph
Page 12 of 14 1 2 10 11 12 13 14

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 251 guests, and 94 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,839 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation