Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Your R sounds so much like mine. Your W was perhaps a little colder, which made me wonder if yours had been having an affair.

Anyway, my leave-the-marriage issues were sex and respect. W would use SDs, DJs, AOs, name-calling. Even hit me twice.

What worked for me?

A book called The Verbally Abusive Man, by Patricia Evans.
Help me recognise verbal abuse and deal with it. Don't be put off by the title - it applies to women too.

Coming here
Helped a lot - the Basic Concepts helped me realise that my need for sex was not wrong, and that her abuse was not normal or acceptable. "You're being oversensitive. X is FAR harder on her H. You're lucky to be with me" - no longer cut it.

Boundaries
I will not stay in this marriage if you continue to [call me names, hit me, scorn me].
I will not stay in this M if you do not desire me.
Leaving the room when I *felt* abuse, while offering to talk about the matter later. Going outside if she followed room-to-room. Leaving the property if she followed outside.

Leaving
We didn't actually separate but she and I both looked at other houses to live in. We went to the brink. I do still wonder if actually leaving would have given a stronger message and a better result.

You did this and your W came to realise that she COULDN'T carry on as before and have you in your life.

Counselling
Mostly useless. Much was harmful. One little five minute segment helped. I told a counsellor about W's abuse - namecalling in particular - and said I would divorce over it. And that it was one way traffic.

He told her it was unacceptable to call one's life partner names. W was upset about this - wanted to divorce. Then we talked - she agreed to talk respectfully and calmly to me at all times - and more-or-less did from then on.

The one limited benefit from traditional counselling was giving an outsider's view on her behaviour.

Maybe you've got other boundaries. Sounds like she goes out a lot without you. I'd struggle with that. It's widely believed that a spouse who objects to this is 'being controlling', or jealous or insecure, or co-dependant. MB sees it differently - a threat to the M.

You said at one point
I feel it's "b"[disrespect] for whatever reasons. I told her that she has basically been running the show, with me blinding following along. I told her I thought that might be one of the problems.
Also you were tired of being passive.

I suspect that's important. My M and life generally looked up when I stood up to my W's verbal abuse - not by fighting, but by leaving the room. I know that sounds worse - 'running away' - but it's not.

It's taking action. Consitently and calmly. The abuse is rejected, it doesn't stand, it doesn't pass unchallenged. Don't accept your spouse telling you what to do, feel, or say, or what you are.

The other option is to fight. Power struggles are brutal and ugly. This option doesn't work.

After I took action, and many times it took, my W, kids and me all thought more highly of me! It stinks that a spouse would abuse another in the first place, but that's unfortunately pretty normal, and happy marriages are pretty abnormal.

FB I'm ambivalent about even telling you things that might help your M. She doesn't want kids I gather - do you? Where are you up to with her now?

Me 49 SAHD; W 41 SAHM; DS3, DS4.
Seven year affairage.
F
OP Offline
F
Respect was a big issue for me. But some of that was for me to own too, because I didn't respect myself. Me tolerating her behavior over an extended period of time just indicated to her that I was willing to bend to her every will. It was very difficult for me to act on anything as she would not talk and pretend like everything was fine. As far as letting her back in my life for a relationship that would be very difficult to say the least. It would require her to apologize and prove to me that she is worthy again. I don't think she is capable of either. In her mind she is the ultimate prize and I imagine it's fun to have men fighting over her. I don't waste time with unavailable women anymore, especially the one that betrayed my trust so severely. Listen it hurts and I still have my bad days. It's not the end of the world though. If she still wants to be friends that is fine. Bottom line I'm not going to waste my time trying to get her to see her faults. I moving on with my life...if she follows maybe I'll give her the priviledge of my company. Or maybe I will have given my love to someone else by then.

Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  Fordude 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 454 guests, and 81 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation