Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
F
OP Offline
F
I've been reading the boards for over a month now. I have (and have read) the books: His Needs, Her Needs and Love Busters as well as most of the information on Dr. Harley's website and quite a few threads on the forums. I think my husband is cheating on me but am not sure and would like some advice.

July 21 I wrote this letter to my husband (this is just part of it):

I feel like since you started at *your new job (started in late march) you have completely checked out of our marriage. Let me see if I can explain:

May 3 was the ******* show, you knew how excited about that I was. We invited your parents down and everyone we knew. Hardly anyone showed up for the show, I was extremely disappointed. You had to leave early, really early, to go back to work which totally sucked but I could have delt with that. Do you realize that night instead of coming home where I was waiting to tell you about the show and dinner with your parents and everything that had gone on that day (a day you were supposed to be with me but had to go back to work instead) you sent me a text message that said "having a beer. be home late. love you." That's it, nothing else. I tried to call you, you ignored my calls. You stayed out until the bars closed that night and didn't even call on your way home. I went to clean **a job I do every morning but can be done after 2 am** that night because I was so upset I couldn't sleep. You didn't even call me when you got home and I wasn't there. Didn't it even matter to you where I was? Interestingly enough you told me that night that you'd gone out with a whole group of people including several guys from the band and the dj for the party that night as well as some of the girls from work. Recently you told me that the group only included **Suspected OW**, **female co-worker** and another girl. So who was really there? You had no interest in talking to me that night about anything nor did you come to bed, you fell asleep on the couch and went to work the next day...and closed.

Not very long after (may 14th) that the text messages and calls to **Suspected OW** started (at all hours of the day and night). You'd never texted or called her before that so what changed? You deleted every text message she sent you except a couple. You sent her a picture message along with a ton of other messages that day....from home...then you went back to work? She sent you one that said something about having fun golfing with your dad, you called her after you were done golfing and talked to her for quite a while....then called me and only talked to me for a couple minutes. The only text messages of hers that you ever saved were after I freaked out about it. They talked about "hanging out" and her "taking care of your stress" always with a wink at the end. You were calling her multiple times a day...and at night, before calling me.

You told me that you stayed at work to avoid coming home (because we were having problems)....how many nights did you stay and talk to **Suspected OW** instead of coming home to me?

After that night of going out to the bar with the girls you started falling asleep on the couch almost every night. I feel like you were avoiding coming to bed with me for some reason and you were pushing me away every chance you got.

After that last round of text messages with her that we had a big fight about you haven't texted her once....and the only calls to her have been in front of me. So what was so important that you were texting and calling so much that it could quit so easily?

What would you have thought in this situation if it were me doing all these things?

Somewhere in there you told me that you felt like we were only room mates sometimes. You said some other stuff to that I don't remember too well because that phrase hurt so much. I think you are right though, it does feel like we are only room mates around here tiptoeing around each other trying not to set each other off. I feel like I cant talk to you anymore about anything because if I do you will either get pissed or totally shut down and refuse to talk to me. I know I don't always approach things in the right way, I tend to just react.

I also feel like when we actually talk about things, like we did the sunday we went shopping, you seem to have no interest in the conversation. At least no interest in maintaining your part of the conversation. You listened to me tell you about the things I wanted from you but had no input to them....then I felt you really hadn't thought about the things you had to say to me. It felt like I was pulling teeth to get you to talk to me.

When we were at the men's cloths place you really hurt me when you told me not to "rape" you while you were sitting on that chair...loud enough for everyone to hear. It felt like you didn't want me touching you in public, there was no sexual interest there....just panic that someone might see us. Then not 30 minutes later you told **Suspected OW** you were talking to "someone else" instead of talking to your wife. Can't you see how that would hurt? It felt like you were trying to distance yourself from me to her on the phone after pushing me away when I tried to come on to you. You called it using the wrong pronoun.....to me it was you pushing me away again and distancing yourself from me even though I was standing right there.

July 5th this exchange with Suspected OW took place via txt message (this is the exchange I am referring to in the letter I wrote him):
OW: Are u sure its ok if *** takes my shift? I don't want to upset you
H: I don't care as long as someone is here
OW: okay…have a good day smile
H: whatever
OW: Are you mad at me?
H: Why would I be mad at you…youre the one who doesn’t ever want to come work…or hang out
OW: I do want 2 hang out…
H: whatever
OW: Its been over a week…u think I don't want to "hang out" wink
H: whatever frown
OW: okay…I really don't know if u are in a mood or if you are joking?
H: kind of
OW: kind of in a mood or kind of joking
H: yes
OW: both…ok…and u are the one who dosen't want 2 hang out…u leave early every day
H: Because I can…see you soon…or not
OW: ????
OW: Not going to play games…if u are mad I am sorry I needed 2 get some stuff done…call me later if you want
H: not mad…just not doin to good frown
OW: u miss me…
OW: was joking…u need to relax…u know I could help you w/that…;)

He blew me off when I got upset about this. This is one of very few text message exchanges that he kept on his phone from her. Every other txt message he got from her he deleted before he came home. She is the head person under him in his dept at work and he swears the txt messages were all about work related things but can give no explanation why he deleted only her messages and left messages from other people on his phone.

We've had several discussions about the state of our marriage but nothing seems to change. He seems to totally be not interested in working on our marriage for more then a couple days at a time. I have been doing the best I can on not LBing and meeting his needs for the last month with just a few slip ups.

Then September 3rd he got home before I did which is kind of unusual but not too weird...but he took a shower before i got home. When I got home I immediately went to the bathroom and pulled his shirt out the hamper and his shirt smelled like coconut...when I asked him about it he said "coconut or coconut lotion?" I said I don't know. He said he'd been roasting off coconut that day for a party the next day (he works in a kitchen)...it seemed like a weak excuse. Also I looked at his underwear (something I had never done before that but probably should have done) and there seemed to be semen stains inside of his underwear and stuff on the outside too, like he'd had sex and just pulled his underwear down. I swear they smelled like female sex too. I confronted him on that a couple days later and he just said he had no idea what I was talking about and didn't want me to show him.

He usually wears boxer briefs and that's what I buy him ONLY boxer briefs. Sometime in the last 3 weeks worth of laundry a pair of regular briefs showed up in the laundry. I thought "weird" but didn't think too much of it after that. However, after checking his underwear now I am noticing these things. When I did laundry last weekend there was a maroon pair of boxer briefs.....however, last Thursday (after saying he'd be home by 10-10:30 then sending me a txt message saying midnight, party ran late) he wore home a pair of maroon briefs....the maroon boxer briefs are no where to be found. The next day I marked all his underwear with a dot of blue nail polish just so I'd be sure and have no doubt in my mind if it happens again. It hasn't happened since but there have been other days where I think there have been semen stains in his underwear, including that Thursday night.

Anyone have any advice?

Last edited by FinFinale; 09/15/08 02:11 PM.

Me: 30
Him:32
Married 7/2000
No kids
C
C
I would seriously consider getting a PI. I also would suggest you stop with the mini-confrontations with each piece of info you find. It just makes him hide things better. Confront when you have something overwhelming because he is going to deny everything short of photographs and even then will probably deny.

From everything you said here it looks pretty conclusive that it is sexual adultery.

How long have you been married? Do you have kids? Is the OW married?

He seems to totally be not interested in working on our marriage for more then a couple days at a time.

He will make no effort to work on the marriage while the adultery continues.

Last edited by chrisner; 09/15/08 02:26 PM.

Testosterone boys! Testosterone! It ain’t just for nose, ear and back hair anymore!
F
OP Offline
F
Originally Posted by chrisner
I would seriously consider getting a PI.

unfortunately I just don't think I have the money for that....how much would it cost?

I did, just today, order a gps device to record his movements in his car. This of course won't help if he's messing around when he is closing with her, but I don't think that is the case. I think she lives close to their work. That's just a feeling I have though.

I also would suggest you stop with the mini-confrontations with each piece of info you find. It just makes him hide things better.

Yes this is a decision I came to after the last confrontation.

Confront when you have something overwhelming because he is going to deny everything short of photographs and even then will probably deny.

From everything you said here it looks pretty conclusive that it is sexual adultery.

that's what I was afraid of. I really wanted to believe him when he said "I'm not that guy."

How long have you been married? Do you have kids? Is the OW married?

8 years, no kids.

To the best of my knowledge the OW is going through a divorce because of all things....her husband cheated on her.

Married 7/2000
No kids
C
C
To the best of my knowledge the OW is going through a divorce because of all things....her husband cheated on her.
If this info came from your WH, it is likely a lie. As you move forward, you need to verify this. I was told the same thing. It was a lie. There is a good chance that he knows nothing.

unfortunately I just don't think I have the money for that....how much would it cost?
Is there someone else who could do this? A brother or an uncle?

I really wanted to believe him when he said "I'm not that guy."
We all wanted to believe that.

Welcome to Marriage Builders. I am sorry you had to come here.

Last edited by chrisner; 09/15/08 02:41 PM.

Testosterone boys! Testosterone! It ain’t just for nose, ear and back hair anymore!
B
B
Well, sounds like he is cheating. You can put a GFI in his car and see where he is spending his time after work. It will send his route to your computer in real time.

Also you could put a recorder in his car to see if you can see who he is talking to and what he is saying.

You can buy a kit on the internet to test for semen.

And when you get proof, I would contact the OW's husband. He may not have cheated on her - it may be HER cheating on him.

F
OP Offline
F
Originally Posted by believer
Well, sounds like he is cheating. You can put a GFI in his car and see where he is spending his time after work. It will send his route to your computer in real time.

whats a GFI?

Also you could put a recorder in his car to see if you can see who he is talking to and what he is saying.

well i screwed myself out of this one when I confronted him about how much he was calling her. He dosn't call her from his cell phone anymore so I doubt it would be of any help.

You can buy a kit on the internet to test for semen.

yeah...nothing has florescence under a black light quite like semen. I have a black light. All a semen test will tell me is that he masturbated. Now if there was a test for female dna I would be totally buying that one.

And when you get proof, I would contact the OW's husband. He may not have cheated on her - it may be HER cheating on him.

I will keep this in mind. I hadn't thought about it that way before now. I am still trying to get used to the idea of him cheating on me. Never thought it would be here...then again I am guessing no one here really did.

Married 7/2000
No kids
C
C
whats a GFI?
It's a ground fault interrupted 125VAC receptacle but I think B meant GPS and you said you have already looked to purchase one.

I don't know the cost of PIs unfortunatly. Hopefully others can chime in. I know they have usually worked very well and quickly.

Do you have anyone else who may be able to watch WH one night?

Do they work at a restaurant?

F
OP Offline
F
It's a ground fault interrupted 125VAC receptacle but I think B meant GPS and you said you have already looked to purchase one.

I was wondering about that. I did purchase one today...not the update over the internet kind, but the kind I can dl movement after the fact. Should be here in a couple days.

[quote]I don't know the cost of PIs unfortunatly. Hopefully others can chime in. I know they have usually worked very well and quickly.

Do you have anyone else who may be able to watch WH one night?

Probably my brother would. I am hesitant to ask him until I have more proof, i.e. with the gps. If I am wrong I don't want my family to hate him. I know I am not wrong, but part of me is holding out a shred of hope until proven otherwise. If the gps shows he's just at work then I will be asking my brother to wait up there one night after closing when I know he is closing with her to see how they interact.

Do they work at a restaurant?

Sort of. Lets just say somewhere that does catering and has a catering hall and a restaurant. They do quite a few events. He is a Food & Beverage Director and she is the Lead Bartender.

Last edited by FinFinale; 09/15/08 03:24 PM.

Married 7/2000
No kids
B
B
Sheesh, I've been at work to long, I meant GPS. I like the real time one better, but yours will do. Just wqatch where he goes, and see if there are any motels nearby. Unless he goes to her home.

My ex and OW had one motel they frequented.

B
B
The semen detector costs about $50. and will detect semen on about 5 articles of clothing. It will detect it even after several years. Ewwwwwwww, I know, distasteful. But then if you find it what is he going to say - that he masterbated at work? Especially if you detect it several times.

Be very careful. Start your Plan A, and stop accusing him. He will just get more cagey.

F
OP Offline
F
Sheesh, I've been at work to long, I meant GPS. I like the real time one better, but yours will do. Just wqatch where he goes, and see if there are any motels nearby. Unless he goes to her home.

My ex and OW had one motel they frequented.

Its cool. That's what I figured. I just thought maybe you knew something I didn't smile

It is more a money issue then anything. I would have loved to have one that was real time but couldn't find one that I could afford that had a long enough battery life. My WH is at "work" for 16 hours sometimes.

Married 7/2000
No kids
F
OP Offline
F
The semen detector costs about $50. and will detect semen on about 5 articles of clothing. It will detect it even after several years. Ewwwwwwww, I know, distasteful. But then if you find it what is he going to say - that he masterbated at work? Especially if you detect it several times.

True. I will keep that in mind. I might just shell out the money next paycheck. I am about tapped out for now.

Be very careful. Start your Plan A, and stop accusing him. He will just get more cagey.

I am going to.

Even though I would LOVE to ask him about his magic appearing briefs and the disappearing boxer briefs just to hear what explanation he would come up with.

Married 7/2000
No kids
J
J
Fin ~ does he use a computer at all for his job? If so then you may want to get a Key Logger.

Is the phone work issued or personal? If it's personal can you get the call records? I know that Verizon has them on the website. Once you set up an online account you can get the last 12 months of calls.

Last edited by JoJo422; 09/15/08 03:45 PM. Reason: SP

Me46
FWH42
Married 19 yrs
EA 4/07 - 4/08
(Confirmed by polygraph that it had not gone PA)
Dday1 4/13/08
Dday2 8/8/08
S26
S16
D10
Trying to Recover
F
OP Offline
F
Originally Posted by JoJo422
Fin ~ does he use a computer at all for his job? If so then you may want to get a Key Logger.

Yes but its in his office at work which I have no access to at all, nor could I get access to.

Is the phone work issued or personal? If it's personal can you get the call records? I know that Verizon has them on the website. Once you set up an online account you can get the last 12 months of calls.

Personal. I have all the call records and the text records. I check them daily now. That's actually what clued me into how much he was texting and calling her at first because I was only randomly checking them before that. He says they are all work related. He's always used his cell phone to call work people before though never like this! And never this much text messaging to one person before this either. Or deleting messages.

What I would love to get is the actual records of the actual text messages. Too bad there is no way...

Last edited by FinFinale; 09/15/08 03:53 PM.

Married 7/2000
No kids
C
C
Have you checked credit card statements and bank statements for ATM withdrawals?

They like to give each other little cards, notes, pictures and things. Does he carry a briefcase?

B
B
Well, they come up with all kinds of excusees. He could say he was pleasuring himself - but at work? YUCK.

I intercepted motel bills on our credit card during the hours my ex was supposed to be working. He explained that he took off work and went to a motel to "think".

Then I caught him and OW at a local motel. He said he was "just talking" to her, helping her with her problems.

Since he showers at home, it sounds like they might be doing it at work.

F
OP Offline
F
Have you checked credit card statements and bank statements for ATM withdrawals?

They like to give each other little cards, notes, pictures and things. Does he carry a briefcase?

Yes, nothing on there. He makes tips at work so has cash that he carries around. If he was doing something like that he would be using cash I imagine.

No briefcase.

Married 7/2000
No kids
F
OP Offline
F
Well, they come up with all kinds of excusees. He could say he was pleasuring himself - but at work? YUCK.

yeah. yuck.

Since he showers at home, it sounds like they might be doing it at work.

The only time I have ever seen him come home and shower was that Wednesday that made me really suspicious. Otherwise he comes home and just showers before he goes to bed.

Married 7/2000
No kids
B
B
Have you read all about Plan A here? That is the starting point -showing him what a wonderful wife you can be, working on anything he complained about in the past.

Start that and be sweet and cheerful. He will let his guard down. Then use the GPS and see where he goes after work. Also if you have the OW's name, do some checking on intelius or white pages. See if you can get her hubbies name and her address.

You need to have a foolproof case before you confront him.

F
OP Offline
F
Have you read all about Plan A here? That is the starting point -showing him what a wonderful wife you can be, working on anything he complained about in the past.

Yes, I have and I am working on it. I re-affirm to myself everyday that I can do it. I guess fake it till you make it huh?

Also if you have the OW's name, do some checking on intelius or white pages. See if you can get her hubbies name and her address.

I have done some checking and can come up with her full name and phone number but not her address. Or her husbands name.

You need to have a foolproof case before you confront him.

I am working on this also. I have started journaling day by day to keep track of things also.

Married 7/2000
No kids
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Fordude 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 820 guests, and 71 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation