Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 9 10
M
M
Pelosi is an idiot with all the diplomatic skills of a bull in a china shop. I am very angry at her for politicizing during such a disaster. Someone needs to plug her pie hole. Pep, I thought your article did a great job of summarizing the problem:

The root of this problem is the housing market’s subprime loan crisis. A subprime loan is a loan made to someone who under normal circumstances would not qualify for a loan, based upon their income and their ability to make payments. That begs the question: Why would a bank make a loan to someone it believes is unable to make the payments?

The Community Reinvestment Act (CRA) was given life during the Carter administration, and empowers four federal financial supervisory agencies to oversee the performance of financial institutions in meeting the credit needs of their entire community, including low- and moderate-income neighborhoods. Whenever an institution wants to make virtually any change in its business operation, such as merging, opening up a new branch, or getting into a new line of business, it must first prove to regulators that it has made ample loans to the government's preferred borrowers, those in low- and middle-income neighborhoods who normally would not qualify for a loan. Lenders with low ratings can be fined by the government.

The Carter administration used tax dollars to fund numerous "community groups" that helped the government enforce the CRA by filing petitions against banks whose “cooperativeness” didn’t measure up, and sometimes stopping their efforts to expand their operations. Banks responded by giving money to the community groups and by making more loans. One of those organizations was the Association of Community Organizations for Reform Now (ACORN). An active associate of ACORN in the 90s was a young public-interest attorney named Barack Obama.

So, starting in 1977 the federal government began “encouraging”—perhaps “strong-arming” is a more accurate term—banks to make loans to people to whom they normally would not make a loan, and in 1995 the Clinton administration pushed through revisions to the CRA that substantially increased the number and amount of these loans.

All of the bad loans weren’t caused by the CRA, of course, but billions of dollars in CRA loans did go bad, as should have been expected. When Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac came along and made it possible for banks to escape the risk associated with these ill-advised loans, conditions were just right for a large portion of the banking industry, even institutions that did not fall under the CRA, to become involved in making loans to unqualified borrowers, and banks participated in big numbers.

The federal government’s fingerprints are all over this crisis, and the Democrats who are today so righteously indignant and blaming the administration are at least as guilty as the Republicans.

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

M
M
Originally Posted by rwinger
Bailout may be the wrong word if in fact the underlying assets are sold down the road for their true market value. I dont feel comfortable with the government owning the largest piece of the economy - the potential cronyism and corruption is frightening.

I think the EU and Asia are pressuring our leaders to do something or give up our status as the leader of the free market system.

We may have one party rule if Obama is elected and Dems get 60-40 majority - and now add this 700B (250B) govt dollar infusion in the market - I am worried about our nation. There will be no checks and balances in place. I dont think Barak is strong enough to buck his Democrat handlers (Pelosi and Reid). May have to hunker down for a bit.

That is a frightening prospect. Pelosi has shown this week that she cannot lead and would not put country before partisan politics.

Do you believe these assets can be sold for their true market value in the future? That is what I do not understand. Would that mean sitting on them until housing prices rose again?

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

R
R
The package will be passed eventually when the political posturing is finished. The only org who can unplug the credit log jam and sit on the assets for any length of time is the govt.

Pelosi must have been on drugs yday - have never seen such a severe case of foot in mouth disease.

Some one needs to send her the book: How to Win Friends and Influence Your Enemies.

Do you believe these assets can be sold for their true market value in the future? That is what I do not understand. Would that mean sitting on them until housing prices rose again?

The problem is that no one knows the true value now. The Securities are worthless - it will take some time to figure out the values. We wont see all the money come back because it will be some govt bureaucrat making the decision.

Last edited by rwinger; 09/30/08 11:04 AM.

Me:52
W: 52
Married: 32 yrs
2 Sons (29 & 23)
1 Dtr (20)
1 GDtr (2.5) precious little girl
E
E
It doesn't matter which party is doing what. I don't trust any of them.

I tend to lean Republican, but even they will get played by Wall Street right now.

I found this on-line and think it's pretty spot on regarding the problems behind a bailout.

http://www.americanthinker.com/2008/09/the_trilliondollar_question_ar.html
"Explaining Buffet's support for the bailout (update)
Posted by: McQ

If you ever wanted proof of Dale's words yesteday, here it is:

Legendary investor Warren Buffett warned Congressional leaders Saturday night of "the biggest financial meltdown in American history" if they did not act to secure the financial system.

Buffett, by telephone, was consulted by lawmakers who were in marathon talks on Capitol Hill to forge a deal on the administration's $700 billion economic bailout plan, according to two sources.

What is it Dale said that I'm referring too?

I keep hearing over and over again-and I've even said it-that no one knows what these mortgage backed securities are worth. But let's be clear here: the reason we don't isn't because the price is mystifyingly unknowable. It's because they haven't even tried to sell them off yet. We already know it's possible to find out what the price is, simply by offering them up for sale. Indeed, we did it in July when Merril Lynch sold off its entire MBS portfolio.

The reason we're not doing it now is because the holders of MBS paper expect a government bailout, and they expect to receive through it a price significantly higher than they would in the secondary market. If it were otherwise, they'd already be auctioning them off.

Of course Warren Buffet just bought 5 billion dollars worth of Goldman Sachs. And what does Buffet expect to get out of this - why a profit of course. But his problem is, at the moment there is no "game" afoot with which to make that happen.

Arnold Kling explains the "game" in question:

Think of the mortgage securities market as the World Series of Poker. In fact, a great book about it is Liar's Poker, by Michael Lewis. Lewis was a trainee at Salomon Brothers, and he learned phrases like "Big Swinging D___," which describes a swaggering, aggressive mortgage banker. Henry Paulson fits the model.

The best players in this World Series of Poker are the folks at Goldman. They hired Fischer Black and other geniuses back when the markets were first getting going. They have typically had the best squad of geeks around.

Buffett just bought a stake in Goldman. That stake would be a lot more valuable if there were actually a poker game--that is, if mortgage securities were still trading. Right now, they're not trading. So Goldman is sitting there ready to play and no one is ready to play with them.

Along comes Uncle Sam, who wants to take a one-hour lesson in poker and then sit down and play in the World Series with $700 billion in chips. And whaddaya know? Warren Buffett thinks Uncle Sam really has to get in the game.

See that key underlined phrase "sitting there"? They're not doing anything because, as Dale explained, they expect that a government bailout will bring them a much higher price than if they push this paper out on the market itself.

So they're doing nothing. If this wasn't coming down the pike though, you'd better believe they'd be busy trying to figure out a way to establish a secondary market to move the trash they have in their portfolios.

As [censored] Armey points out, self-interest drives any market, even one which has been compromised by government. And this is just another example of the point. Warren Buffet isn't worried about financial meltdowns. He's very cognizant of the fact that the market would darn well establish a price for MBS. He doesn't want it too, because that will cost him money.

Instead he's all for this bailout for the reasons outlined.

That should tell you all you need to know right there.

UPDATE: Good article here by Joseph Calhoun. Read it all. But the conclusion pretty much addresses what's being said on this blog about pain management and the way to address the problem. The whole point is not to be panicked into doing something that isn't going to work and may make the matter worse.

We are not on the verge of a new depression. The housing bubble collapse in California, Florida and a few other states is not enough to bring down the entire banking system. Investors who made mistakes in these markets should be held responsible and those who navigated the Fed-distorted market should be rewarded for their wisdom and prudence. Enacting the Paulson plan will not allow that to happen and our economy will suffer for it in the long run. The Japanese tried to prop up failed banks in the aftermath of the bursting of their twin bubbles and the result was 15 years of stagnation. Why are we emulating a strategy that is a demonstrable failure? A better alternative would be to allow capitalism to work as it should and stop the interventions of the Fed in the money market. Trust capitalism. It works.

Bingo."

M
M
I just want to keep pointing out that this very crisis was foretold back in 1999 in the New York Times when FM and FM lowered underwriting standards. THEY WERE RIGHT:

New York Times, 1999
In moving, even tentatively, into this new area of lending, Fannie Mae is taking on significantly more risk, which may not pose any difficulties during flush economic times. But the government-subsidized corporation may run into trouble in an economic downturn, prompting a government rescue similar to that of the savings and loan industry in the 1980's.

''From the perspective of many people, including me, this is another thrift industry growing up around us,'' said Peter Wallison a resident fellow at the American Enterprise Institute. ''If they fail, the government will have to step up and bail them out the way it stepped up and bailed out the thrift industry.''

That is EXACTLY what has happened as a RESULT of lowering the underwriting standards at FM and FM.

Exposure 101

M
M
ugh, I SOO hate economics and hate being forced to try and understand it. sick

Exposure 101

R
R
A couple things to ponder:

Anytime you rely on the govt for your personal salvation and well being - be prepared for an extreme disappointment. Ask anyone in NOLA after Katrina.

The last time the Dems had control of both houses and presidency - Jimmy Carter. Now those were some bad old days. I believe that my father had to pay 66% of his salary in taxes after Federal, State, Local and FICA. Anyone ready for those days? I recall my car loan was 22% and the inflation rate was in double digits. frown

2 Sons (29 & 23)
1 Dtr (20)
W
W
I think the EU and Asia are pressuring our leaders to do something or give up our status as the leader of the free market system.

Either way, with or without a bailout, this will happen. It's a lose/lose proposition. If we bailout the lenders, we flood the market with worthless money and if we don't bailout the lenders, the ensuing credit crisis will disable business. Either way, we are headed toward a painful recession of historic proportions.

We wanted a "Global Economy" and that's what we got. Now, the first thing that "Global Economy" is going to do is level the playing field.

Want2Stay

BS-me 36
FWW-34
DS-7 & DS-3
PA - 7/06-8/06
EA - 6/06-1/07
D-Day: wife confessed 2-17-07, suspected 8-02-06
Broke NC: 2-19-07, 3-24-07, 5/07
My Story
My Wife's Story
---------------------
Healing one day at a time.....
M
M
Originally Posted by Want2Stay
We wanted a "Global Economy" and that what we got. Now, the first thing that "Global Economy" is going to do is level the playing field.

Want2Stay

So you want our country to be "levelled?" What are you saying exactly?

Exposure 101

R
R
Very astute Wants

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/...l-become-significantly-less-wealthy.html

Corporate America has just lost a chunk of its value the size of the Indian economy.

Enlightened:

It doesn't matter which party is doing what. I don't trust any of them.

I tend to lean Republican, but even they will get played by Wall Street right now.

I found this on-line and think it's pretty spot on regarding the problems behind a bailout.

One of the reasons why I think one party rule is dangerous. The GOP became corrupt because of the power and they lost their way. Dems are no different. The founding fathers were very wise to set up check and balances within the three branches of govt.

Just an observation: Bush made the mistake that he thought US politics would be similar to Texas politics. He thought he could work with the Dems (like he could here) but was not able to and he never had the full majority or a mandate. Politcs here is Texas first and party second - altho that seems to be changing also. DC is a diff story - the party leaders would sell their country to highest bidder for the power.

Do you ever wonder if the Dems may be smiling over this crisis?

Last edited by rwinger; 09/30/08 11:48 AM.

2 Sons (29 & 23)
1 Dtr (20)
M
OP Offline
M
Understanding $700,000,000,000.00

The Bottom Line: If the Treasury simply took the $700 Billion and started paying off taxpayer mortgages, they could pay off every mortgage in the country worth less than $75,000... Or put another way, $700 Billion could pay off well over half of all outstanding first mortgages in the entire country.

M
M
Originally Posted by rwinger
Very astute Wants

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/...l-become-significantly-less-wealthy.html

Corporate America has just lost a chunk of its value the size of the Indian economy.

Nice. This would have never happened in the absense of irresponsible federal policies and lack of oversight. Lenders would have never made bad loans if the FED didn't encourage and buy them up. This is a crisis brought on by our own government and if those problems are not addressed and corrected, this will continue to happen.

Exposure 101

W
W
Nice. This would have never happened in the absense of irresponsible federal policies and lack of oversight.

True it couldn't have happened, but it also couldn't have happened without our ME ME ME country. We talk about entitlement on this site all the time and that's exactly what brought us to this position. People believing they were entitled to the good life even if they went into debt up to their eyeballs to get it. Over-sized homes and expensive cars. It's all contributed to this mess. Admittedly, I'm just as guilty as everyone else. As an example, you could fit 3 of my grandparent's house in mine. A house they raised 6 kids in where LaLa and I only have 2. We are falling victim to our own gluttony.

Want2Stay

BS-me 36
FWW-34
DS-7 & DS-3
PA - 7/06-8/06
EA - 6/06-1/07
D-Day: wife confessed 2-17-07, suspected 8-02-06
Broke NC: 2-19-07, 3-24-07, 5/07
My Story
My Wife's Story
---------------------
Healing one day at a time.....
M
M
This is an outstanding article written by a top economist who lectures at Harvard:

Commentary: Bankruptcy, not bailout, is the right answer

By Jeffrey A. Miron
Special to CNN
link

Editor's note: Jeffrey A. Miron is senior lecturer in economics at Harvard University. A Libertarian, he was one of 166 academic economists who signed a letter to congressional leaders last week opposing the government bailout plan.

Economist Jeffrey Miron says the bailout plan presented to Congress was the wrong solution to the crisis

CAMBRIDGE, Massachusetts (CNN) -- Congress has balked at the Bush administration's proposed $700 billion bailout of Wall Street. Under this plan, the Treasury would have bought the "troubled assets" of financial institutions in an attempt to avoid economic meltdown.

This bailout was a terrible idea. Here's why.

The current mess would never have occurred in the absence of ill-conceived federal policies. The federal government chartered Fannie Mae in 1938 and Freddie Mac in 1970; these two mortgage lending institutions are at the center of the crisis. The government implicitly promised these institutions that it would make good on their debts, so Fannie and Freddie took on huge amounts of excessive risk.

Worse, beginning in 1977 and even more in the 1990s and the early part of this century, Congress pushed mortgage lenders and Fannie/Freddie to expand subprime lending. The industry was happy to oblige, given the implicit promise of federal backing, and subprime lending soared.

This subprime lending was more than a minor relaxation of existing credit guidelines. This lending was a wholesale abandonment of reasonable lending practices in which borrowers with poor credit characteristics got mortgages they were ill-equipped to handle.

Once housing prices declined and economic conditions worsened, defaults and delinquencies soared, leaving the industry holding large amounts of severely depreciated mortgage assets.

The fact that government bears such a huge responsibility for the current mess means any response should eliminate the conditions that created this situation in the first place, not attempt to fix bad government with more government.

The obvious alternative to a bailout is letting troubled financial institutions declare bankruptcy. Bankruptcy means that shareholders typically get wiped out and the creditors own the company.

Bankruptcy does not mean the company disappears; it is just owned by someone new (as has occurred with several airlines). Bankruptcy punishes those who took excessive risks while preserving those aspects of a businesses that remain profitable.

In contrast, a bailout transfers enormous wealth from taxpayers to those who knowingly engaged in risky subprime lending. Thus, the bailout encourages companies to take large, imprudent risks and count on getting bailed out by government. This "moral hazard" generates enormous distortions in an economy's allocation of its financial resources.

Thoughtful advocates of the bailout might concede this perspective, but they argue that a bailout is necessary to prevent economic collapse. According to this view, lenders are not making loans, even for worthy projects, because they cannot get capital. This view has a grain of truth; if the bailout does not occur, more bankruptcies are possible and credit conditions may worsen for a time.

Talk of Armageddon, however, is ridiculous scare-mongering. If financial institutions cannot make productive loans, a profit opportunity exists for someone else. This might not happen instantly, but it will happen.

Further, the current credit freeze is likely due to Wall Street's hope of a bailout; bankers will not sell their lousy assets for 20 cents on the dollar if the government might pay 30, 50, or 80 cents.

The costs of the bailout, moreover, are almost certainly being understated. The administration's claim is that many mortgage assets are merely illiquid, not truly worthless, implying taxpayers will recoup much of their $700 billion.

If these assets are worth something, however, private parties should want to buy them, and they would do so if the owners would accept fair market value. Far more likely is that current owners have brushed under the rug how little their assets are worth.

The bailout has more problems. The final legislation will probably include numerous side conditions and special dealings that reward Washington lobbyists and their clients.

Anticipation of the bailout will engender strategic behavior by Wall Street institutions as they shuffle their assets and position their balance sheets to maximize their take. The bailout will open the door to further federal meddling in financial markets.

So what should the government do? Eliminate those policies that generated the current mess. This means, at a general level, abandoning the goal of home ownership independent of ability to pay. This means, in particular, getting rid of Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac, along with policies like the Community Reinvestment Act that pressure banks into subprime lending.

The right view of the financial mess is that an enormous fraction of subprime lending should never have occurred in the first place. Someone has to pay for that. That someone should not be, and does not need to be, the U.S. taxpayer.

Exposure 101

R
R
Nice. This would have never happened in the absense of irresponsible federal policies and lack of oversight.

True it couldn't have happened, but it also couldn't have happened without our ME ME ME country. We talk about entitlement on this site all the time and that's exactly what brought us to this position. People believing they were entitled to the good life even if they went into debt up to their eyeballs to get it. Over-sized homes and expensive cars. It's all contributed to this mess. Admittedly, I'm just as guilty as everyone else. As an example, you could fit 3 of my grandparent's house in mine. A house they raised 6 kids in where LaLa and I only have 2. We are falling victim to our own gluttony.

Want2Stay

The enemy has been spotted and its us. You hit the nail on the head and jest of my earlier post. The politicians were just making us happy and they allowed us "kiddies" all the candy we wanted. Now we are going to have a mighty belly ache.

2 Sons (29 & 23)
1 Dtr (20)
M
M
Over-sized homes and expensive cars. It's all contributed to this mess. Admittedly, I'm just as guilty as everyone else. As an example, you could fit 3 of my grandparent's house in mine. A house they raised 6 kids in where LaLa and I only have 2. We are falling victim to our own gluttony.

Want2Stay

Its not oversized homes that are the problem. Homes are an inanimate object. The problem is buying things we CAN'T AFFORD. I live in a pretty massive house [3200 sq ft for 2 ppl] but I can AFFORD IT. I put 25% down and I can well afford the payments, taxes, insurance, upkeep, etc. My bills are paid; I have money in savings. I am not a glutton and live within my means.

This problem comes from ppl who don't live within their means and when the price of gas went up, and other economic problems, they could not make their payments and defaulted on their loans.

Exposure 101

R
R
One of the most interesting books I have read is the Millionaire Next Door. I think that is the title.

Anyway - basic rule is that one should base the their prosperity on Net Worth and not how many things one owns and/or their gross income. Sort of like the Texas saying - he is all hat and no cattle (one of my favs.)

2 Sons (29 & 23)
1 Dtr (20)
M
OP Offline
M
You know what I find ODD in all this debate about who's responsible for the economic crisis? In all the research I have done, I haven't found a single Republican politician placing blame on the Democrats in recent weeks.

How's this?

LINK

W/ a prominent Democrat admitting it, for good measure.

M
OP Offline
M
Further, according to House Oversight Committee staff, Emanuel has received assurances from Pelosi that she will not allow what he termed a "witch hunt" to take place during the next Congressional session over the role Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac played in the economic crisis.

Emanuel apparently is concerned the roles former Clinton Administration members may have played in the mortgage industry collapse could be politically -- or worse, if the Department of Justice had its way, legally -- treacherous for many.

LINK

That Pelosi is a real gem.

M
M
The best defense is a good offense.

Blame the Democrats
Blame the poor
Blame the minorities

The FBI's website own website explains Mortgage Fraud and how prevalent it is/was and how it's GROWN since 2003.
Link to FBI page on Mortgage Fraud

And...how little was (as of Jan. 2008) done about it [only 1200 cases open after 48,000 suspicious activity reports in 2007 and the page quotes a report by a third party that studied 3,000,000 subprime mortgages indicating 30%-70% of all such defaulting subprime mortgages were found to contain significant misreprentations]:

Excert from FBI page:

Among the specifics discussed at the briefing:

Subprime mortgage loans:

We're investigating 14 corporations involved in subprime lending as part of our Subprime Mortgage Industry Fraud Initiative launched last year.
The companies come from across the financial services industry, from mortgage lenders to investment banks that bundle loans into securities sold to investors. We’re also looking at insider trading by some executives.

Traditional mortgage fraud:

We have more than 1,200 cases open today (up about 40 percent from last year), mostly involving fraud for profit, where groups of straw buyers, realtors, etc. rig schemes to buy properties that are flipped or allowed to go into foreclosure.
Hotspots include California, Texas, Arizona, Florida, Ohio, Michigan, and Utah.

Suspicious activity reports that we review for potential mortgage fraud have grown from 3,000 in fiscal year 2003 to 48,000 in fiscal year 2007. This year, we’re on pace to receive more than 60,000 such reports.

A recent case: In November, the owners of a long-time Minnesota homebuilder called Parish Marketing—along with a bank officer, a closing agent, and others—pled guilty to a $100 million mortgage scheme involving some 200 homes.
Right now, we’re seeing no links to organized crime syndicates, street gangs, or terrorist groups in our cases.

Link to FBI source

OUR financial problem is a criminal one. A criminal matter the Bush adminstration and it's incompetent Republican Appointees FAILED to prosecute utilizing EXISTING laws. Even the website explains that the criminal activity accelerated the problem by fruadulently increasing neighborhood values such that even so-called legitimate mortgages were over-valued based upon legitimate appraisals utilizing unbeknownst fraudulent numbers. IMO, systemic criminal behavior is what brought us to the point today. Absent the crime...this mess would be more than manageable.

Our EXECUTIVE BRANCH has failed us, not the Legislature that enacted the laws that YEARS later the criminals exploited. Using that logic, I guess we could blame the Federal Reserve Act of 1913 which was mostly drafted by Republican Senator Nelson W. Aldrich of Rhode Island (though substantially modified and ultimately passed by the new Democratic Majority after the election of 1912...btw...such "modifications" irked the Republicans that favored the Aldrich Plan of giving Private Banks near complete control of money versus substantial federal control. Years later the depression and THIS financial mess are clear indications the Democrats were right in 1913 to NOT give private banks that much power and control).

Yeah...it's all Aldrich's fault.

Mr. Wondering

Last edited by MrWondering; 09/30/08 02:28 PM.

FBH(me)-51 FWW-49 (MrsWondering)
DD19 DS 22 Dday-2005-Recovered

"agree to disagree" = Used when one wants to reject the objective reality of the situation and hopefully replace it with their own.
Page 5 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 9 10

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 279 guests, and 71 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,839 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation